BajaNomad

What's your border Xing karma?

Whale-ista - 7-17-2014 at 07:42 AM

We often hear the bad Xing stories. Anyone have good ones to post?

Reading other accounts of border xing headaches makes me wonder why some trips end worse than others when they hit the fence. My latest experience:

After 2-1/2 wks in Baja I crossed at San Ysidro 6 am Sunday, June 29 (day of MX final World Cup game). Took me 40 min. Lots of high spirits, vendors in MX futbol jerseys etc.

Drove truck w/camper shell full of dust, dirty clothes, kayak, camping gear etc. Dashboard covered with sand dollars and other beach discoveries. who knew what I had tossed back there and forgot- coconuts? Pitayas? The dreaded dog food?

Fearing secondary was inevitable I approached the booth:

Agent: what are you bringing back?
Me: dust and dirty clothes. (dog was asleep on seat next to me)
Agent: have a good day.

And that was it.

Not sure if I was already on SENTRI radar by then, or if I just looked too dirty and tired to be a threat...but I appreciated the quick pass thru!

[Edited on 7-17-2014 by Whale-ista]

DENNIS - 7-17-2014 at 07:49 AM

It's the nightmare experience that is the anomaly for me. Most are fast and cordial.
I think travelers who pull up to the gate with a mountain of gear and tired attitudes are going to get, and should expect, more in-depth attention. They should be mentally prepared for this. Most often they are their own worst problem.

bajalearner - 7-17-2014 at 08:10 AM

1398 times out of 1400 crossings (approx.) have been good for me. I don't hide things, lie or need to get nervous. That is a great stat. But the 2 that were bad and an additional 2 bad encounters at the Otay SENTRI office should be looked at by the CBP to improve the Department and protect the public.

The CBP appears to be exempt from oversight by my experience. Just those few misuse of power incidents wield great harm and must be subject to review which apparently they are not.

As I noted recently, with the new construction at SY, the signs which issued "Our pledge to the traveling public" have been removed. The pledge listed several positive protections for the public but are no longer anywhere to be seen.

The CBP moves cattle and has the power to apply any amount of force they choose. Remember a few months ago when a CBP agent shot bullets at a man who was unarmed and not a threat to the agent. That all went under carpet, never to heard of again. I predicted it would disappear and it did. Gestapo.

rhintransit - 7-17-2014 at 08:21 AM

some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

normal folks who don't interpret border regulations to exclude themselves or their situations usually have no problems and those they do have are usually resolved after a polite interaction. you're cross and cranky after three or four hours of waiting, those folks are cross and cranky after dealing with thousands of cross and cranky travelers, some of whom are most definitely bad guys.

try watching a few episodes of "Border Security' and see which travelers are their own worst enemies.

Crossing Hints

bajaguy - 7-17-2014 at 08:43 AM

A. Have all of your documents in hand, or close by (do not fumble around in your glove compartment, purse, backpack or backseat)
Sentri/Passport/Passport Card/Birth Certificate/Drivers License/Vehicle Registration and US vehicle insurance.

B. Take off your sunglasses and turn the radio off

C. Be polite, friendly and smile

D. Answer questions, do not volunteer extra information (do not babble)

E. Have a list of all articles and/or items obtained in Baja/Mexico

F. When asked what items you are bringing back from Mexico, refer to the list and start reading (do not hand the list to the inspector unless directed):
one T-shirt
one plaster frog
one bottle vanilla
one bottle Tequila.........
blah, blah, blah

G. remember....please, thank you, yes sir (or ma'am), no sir (or ma'am)

H. have a cute, friendly Yellow Labrador Retriever in the vehicle with you. "Most" CBP booth agents will concentrate more on the Lab.

I. If you do get sent to Secondary, make it an adventure.

The two times I have been directed to secondary (in 20+ years of crossing) it was by female CBP agents...........however most female agents really like interacting with the dog.

Whale-ista - 7-17-2014 at 09:25 AM

Thanks for comments/stories.
As for dog: No cute lab. Had a big black lab years ago but she was intimidating not cute.

But the poodle can be a charmer when she's awake. (6 am was too early)

Bajaboy - 7-17-2014 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
A. Have all of your documents in hand, or close by (do not fumble around in your glove compartment, purse, backpack or backseat)
Sentri/Passport/Passport Card/Birth Certificate/Drivers License/Vehicle Registration and US vehicle insurance.

B. Take off your sunglasses and turn the radio off

C. Be polite, friendly and smile

D. Answer questions, do not volunteer extra information (do not babble)

E. Have a list of all articles and/or items obtained in Baja/Mexico

F. When asked what items you are bringing back from Mexico, refer to the list and start reading (do not hand the list to the inspector unless directed):
one T-shirt
one plaster frog
one bottle vanilla
one bottle Tequila.........
blah, blah, blah

G. remember....please, thank you, yes sir (or ma'am), no sir (or ma'am)

H. have a cute, friendly Yellow Labrador Retriever in the vehicle with you. "Most" CBP booth agents will concentrate more on the Lab.

I. If you do get sent to Secondary, make it an adventure.

The two times I have been directed to secondary (in 20+ years of crossing) it was by female CBP agents...........however most female agents really like interacting with the dog.

I completely agree with your suggestions and follow most of them. I have noticed the female agents can start off a bit harsh until they interact with my kids...then they light up.

I normally have a neutral to positive interactions with CPB about 70% of the times I cross.

SlyOnce - 7-17-2014 at 10:04 AM

I cross every day between 5 and 6 AM. I see the same border inspectors frequently. People crossing this time in the SENTRI lanes are going to work. I'm in the computer as crossing every day. I know to remove hat, sunglasses, and don't cover the photo on my SENTRI card with my thumb. I always say "Good Morning. Nothing to declare." as I roll up. I NEVER have problems. I get sent to secondary for "compliance check" about once every few months. Usually when I am running late and in a hurry. But its random.

There is one old bearded guy. He's a bit strange. He's the one who told me to say "nothing to declare" as I roll up, it saves everyone time. He takes my card and says

"Welcome back to your homeland fellow citizen"

Always gets me to laugh.

DENNIS - 7-17-2014 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlyOnce

There is one old bearded guy. He's a bit strange. He's the one who told me to say "nothing to declare"

Years back, before the Passport suggestion, the standard salutation at the booth for early AM work traffic was, "US...Nada." I even saw one vanity plate that had this on it.

Ahhh yes...the border prior to 911 is but a fading memory.

DENNIS - 7-17-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
"some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug."

My next tattoo....bumper sticker, anyway.

DENNIS - 7-17-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I have noticed the female agents can start off a bit harsh until they interact with my kids...then they light up.

May as well toss in a sexist interpretation of hell. We've tried everything else. :lol:

motoged - 7-17-2014 at 10:56 AM

Great experiences so far = not arrested :lol::lol:

dasubergeek - 7-17-2014 at 12:33 PM

I generally get brusque, efficient processing. Given that they're screening eight bazillion people a day and trying to keep the losers, the drugs and the weapons out, brusque and efficient is fine by me.

Occasionally I get someone who is very pleasant and chatty, and I chat for as long as he or she wants to. And occasionally I get someone who is in a truly poisonous mood, and pull off for a restorative cup of coffee once I'm done, whether sent to secondary or not.

bajaguy - 7-17-2014 at 12:38 PM

When he found out I was coming from Ensenada, I had a nice long friendly chat with an inspector who had a place by the south Ensenada Wal-Mart. He was asking what my favorite places to eat were

StuckSucks - 7-18-2014 at 12:11 PM

In September 2011, SCORE International abruptly changed one of its race venues from Stateline, NV to San Felipe - I went down for a week of prerunning then racing. At some point during the trip, it dawned on me that I would be crossing back into the US on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 - "holy crap" I thought. When I arrived at the Tecate crossing (Sunday, mid morning) I was the only the FIFTH car in line. I started laughing, I couldn't believe it. When I got to the front of the line, I asked the border agent where everyone was. He said, of course, "I think 9/11 scared everyone away," then sent me on my way.

What I saw when I arrived at the border crossing:

BajaRun - 7-18-2014 at 12:22 PM

Usually cross back into the US at Tecate, I decide to make a dentist and taco run down to Algodones a few weeks ago. I have been the 3rd or 4th car in line at Tecate before but never have I pulled up to the border crossing and been the only car in line.. Algodones on a Wednesday afternoon (3pm) in July is a great thing, No cars in front of me or behind me!!!

Bajahowodd - 7-18-2014 at 05:04 PM

I think that to give this experience a background, we crossed once at Otay, and the first thing the agent said was, "I'm sure that you're happy to be back to the US."

I did not respond, but I was seething inside.

freediverbrian - 7-18-2014 at 06:53 PM

Me a 55 year old boring old guy .only once in secondary in twenty years. My son a twenty year old going to Baja Naval boat yard once a week for a year and a half was in secondary half of his trips. Profiling?

BajaDanD - 7-19-2014 at 09:52 PM

crossed at Tecate on a Thursday night around 9:00pm two weeks ago took less then 5 minutes drove right up to the gate 2 cars in one line and 1 car in the other that's it.

Bajajorge - 7-20-2014 at 08:47 AM

I get sent to secondary every time I cross back into the US as I have a cabover camper on my PU. But I have found that having stickers on the rear of the camper indicating I am retired military cuts me alot of slack. Most of the Feds at the border are also vets. I usually spend more time telling war stories than being inspected.:biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 7-20-2014 at 11:15 AM

Most of the time, the wait to see the border agent is the worst. They are quick and we never bring much north except fish/ lobster for family and a suitcase with our clothes.

Only once did we get asked for the current car registration and Les asked, Why would you need to see my car documents? The agent snarled: I'm the only one who gets to ask the questions here!

I think both our jaws must have opened in shock simultaneously.

Good idea to say Nothing to Declare, saves the agent asking.

bajaguy - 7-20-2014 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
I get sent to secondary every time I cross back into the US as I have a cabover camper on my PU. But I have found that having stickers on the rear of the camper indicating I am retired military cuts me alot of slack. Most of the Feds at the border are also vets. I usually spend more time telling war stories than being inspected.:biggrin:

You just have an honest face (ugly, but honest) and the border guys feel sorry for you because you are a Marine!!!!

Whale-ista - 7-20-2014 at 11:30 AM

Hmmm.... Are you sure it's the truck?

After 4 trips in my truck this year I have yet to be 2ndaried, and I have a small cabover w/the Callen shell. I was worried it would be an issue w/SENTRI inspection (it wasn't).

Only 1 sticker on my camper (so far), for Mama Espinosas restaurant. But it's on the back door, doubt the agents see it unless they are doing a walk-around.

Bajajorge - 7-21-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You just have an honest face (ugly, but honest) and the border guys feel sorry for you because you are a Marine!!!!

The real conversation starter are the 2 different stickers. A USMC sticker and a retired US Army sticker.
The Customs guys/gals get confused, and then I have to explain, 12yrs USMC, 16yrs US Army.
The stickers also help at the Mexican military check points in country. Those kids have repect for the US Military.
As for the ugly face, I have no answer for. My Mommy always told me honesty is the best policy.:biggrin:

bajaguy - 7-21-2014 at 08:47 AM

Bajajorge........the JT is waiting......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The real conversation starter are the 2 different stickers. A USMC sticker and a retired US Army sticker.
The Customs guys/gals get confused, and then I have to explain, 12yrs USMC, 16yrs US Army.
The stickers also help at the Mexican military check points in country. Those kids have repect for the US Military.
As for the ugly face, I have no answer for. My Mommy always told me honesty is the best policy.:biggrin:

Pappy Jon - 7-21-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It's the nightmare experience that is the anomaly for me. Most are fast and cordial.
I think travelers who pull up to the gate with a mountain of gear and tired attitudes are going to get, and should expect, more in-depth attention. They should be mentally prepared for this. Most often they are their own worst problem.

I have never had a "bad" experience. I've had cranky agents, but nothing beyond that.

Crossing at Sonoyta/Lukeville a few decades ago was probably the most annoying. A bunch of us, like 8 vehicles, were going to Organ Pipe Cactus NM from Palm Springs. Believe it or not it was shorter, and more adventurous, to drive from Palm Springs south, cross at Mexicali, drive across Mex 2 and pop up into AZ.

Well, first person across was asked "where you coming from?" Answer: "Palm Springs." Secondary you go. Same for second car. Same for me #3 in line. By that time the agent was clearly peeed off. Fortunately, she let the rest through after they too gave her the same answer. (ummm, female agent?)

The last two crossings have been amusing. I crossed in my 1969 FJ40 Land Cruiser. Not the guy in the booth, but a second fella came up and offered me $5000 for her. I laughed, and told him I had that in the engine ... and the truck wasn't for sale.

Then last year, same thing crossing in my 4Runner.

The same year I crossed in the FJ40 I was with a buddy. This was his first time to Baja and I think he was very nervous. He was sent to secondary CROSSING INTO MEXICO. Then again, crossing into the US. He also had more trouble at the check points while down there.

One year I was down solo, but met some friends for whale watching. Coming back through Tecate, Mark decided it would be a good idea if I didn't cross by myself, so he jumped in with me, leaving his wife and two girls to cross in their truck. Sure as poop, the girls were sent to secondary ... and the two bearded hippy-looking dudes were waved through. Go figure.

I'm always loaded high and deep with camping gear. I've never been to secondary (since AZ), but I was scolded (umm, by a female agent) for having too many beers in the cooler. She did let me keep them.

Oh, then there was the time I tried to cross with pomegranate cuttings from Mission San Borja. The agent, while searching my cooler found them, and asked what they were. He double checked with somebody (PPQ?) and was told I couldn't keep them. He was nice though, and actually rather apologetic.

Baja is always an adventure ... right up until you pull away from the border station.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by Pappy Jon]

durrelllrobert - 7-21-2014 at 12:01 PM

When the agent asked where I was going I answered "Secondary" and he said "Damn right you are!". don't know what he wrote on the orange paper he stuck under my windshield wiper but 3 different agents looked at it in Secondary and just walked away. Didn't get out for an hour and a half. Did I do something wrong?:spingrin: