BajaNomad

East Cape-It's not doomsday

vseasport - 7-22-2014 at 04:25 AM

East Cape-It's not doomsday

Before getting into this weeks report I want to talk a little about the Jen Wren repair after hitting a whale shark. Saturday the mishap occurred punching a shaft strut up through the bottom of the boat causing extensive damage. It is a miracle we got her home and on the trailer. I wasn't sure where to start with the repair. Well, I'm fortunate to be surrounded by good people who worked day and night. On Thursday (just 5 days later) we were launching to go fishing. It did take a couple more days to get all the kinks out but now I'm pleased to say she is as good as new.

It just cracks me up what 10 days of slow fishing can do. All I can say is it's not doomsday! In fact both Jen Wren boats took limits of tuna yesterday. Not just footballs either. Twice during the week we had yellowfin tipping the scales at 90 pounds.

We have already released more blue marlin this year then last year plus sailfish and striped marlin have been plentiful. Even through what we have called tough fishing, boats have been able to go out and catch a billfish or two everyday. It is really just the anglers insisting on targeting dorado and tuna that have gotten the goose egg.

Dorado have disappeared for the time being but tuna are starting to pick up the slack. The bait situation is the best it has been all year and even squid is starting to become available. No, it is not doomsday, just a normal cycle that is not uncommon.

Lucky to still have Jen Wren

13 year old Jack Pafford with his father Mark and grandfather Ed

Jack not only landed a 90 pound tuna he also released his first striped marlin.

I can hardly wait for Jack's teacher to ask. What I did on my summer vacation

Jeff Lochhead with the biggest tuna of his life

Lots of sashimi

A dandy using the kite

125 boat shotgun start for the dorado shoot out. Everybody was there except the dorado

Antonio bagged this great eating pompano while helping the crew scrub up at the end of the day

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841

toneart - 7-22-2014 at 09:08 AM

Sounds like it was "Doomsday" for the whale shark. Any word as to it's fate? They are gentle giants and, while I am sure the collision was accidental, it would be good to have some follow up. Thank you.

weebray - 7-22-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Sounds like it was "Doomsday" for the whale shark. Any word as to it's fate? They are gentle giants and, while I am sure the collision was accidental, it would be good to have some follow up. Thank you.

It's all about getting that boat back on the water. Never mind the whale shark, they're not good eating.

mtgoat666 - 7-22-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

let's all pray for the whale shark. and the san diego padres.

micah202 - 7-22-2014 at 11:59 AM

...I'm glad news got to the Dorado's before the big Dorado 'shootout' began....I know it's just a food-sport and all,,but it rips me out whenever I see the fishpics,,the thread's title pulled me in---I'll try not to look in the future

...can you put a warning...''fish-kill pictures'' on your titles!?
:no::(

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24534590/721148.jpg
125 boat shotgun start for the dorado shoot out. Everybody was there except the dorado

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by micah202]

jeffg - 7-22-2014 at 01:04 PM

Maybe the fact that it's posted under Baja Fishing and Hunting would be a clue to you.

mtgoat666 - 7-22-2014 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vseasport
...he also released his first striped marlin.

when will people quit pulling fish out of water for photo? release it in the water!

micah202 - 7-22-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
Maybe the fact that it's posted under Baja Fishing and Hunting would be a clue to you.

...so true...that's the problem with following 'today's posts' sometimes :(

weebray - 7-22-2014 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
when will people quit pulling fish out of water for photo? release it in the water!

It's called kill and release.

dtbushpilot - 7-22-2014 at 03:38 PM

Great pictures Mark, thanks for sharing. It is a bummer about the whale shark, it was an unfortunate accident for all involved. Glad to see the JenWren back in the water, keep up the good work and please keep the great pictures coming.

dtbushpilot - 7-22-2014 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
...I'm glad news got to the Dorado's before the big Dorado 'shootout' began....I know it's just a food-sport and all,,but it rips me out whenever I see the fishpics,,the thread's title pulled me in---I'll try not to look in the future

Fortunately there were still a few Dorado around...

cliffh - 7-22-2014 at 04:52 PM

Great pic's as always, glad the jen wren is back working Cliff

vseasport - 7-22-2014 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

Fortunately there were still a few Dorado around...

Kudos David! You were in an elite crowd making it to the scale.