BajaNomad

Hotel Review Colonet

El Jefe - 7-24-2014 at 09:03 PM

Staying tonight at the Paraiso Colonet Hotel to the south of Colonet on the hill inland side of the highway. This is a nice modern place with a decent restaurant. The molacajete was delicious and I could have split it with my wife if she hadn't flown up. All in all a great place to stop. Room is very clean and good bed. Try it if you are needing a place to rest north of Baja Cactus.

Bajaboy - 7-24-2014 at 09:11 PM

thanks for the review...how much are rooms?

Ateo - 7-24-2014 at 09:58 PM

Always think (but forget) about this place. Thanks for the reminder.

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by Ateo]

mtnpop - 7-25-2014 at 07:51 AM

we have stayed there several times and so far good experience with the hotel and the restaurant.... sometimes some noise from the highway and the bar down by the gate...
also pet friendly...

As seen from helicopter, June 26, 2014

David K - 7-25-2014 at 07:54 AM

bajacalifornian - 7-25-2014 at 08:18 AM

Usually travel with our own, but they have the most comfortable pillows in the Baja.

Howard - 7-25-2014 at 09:21 AM

Do you know what they charge for a single and one dog? On the web site it show some pricing and states a 30% grand opening discount but I don't know if the price takes that into consideration. Also, seeing as most of us pull in late and leave in the morning, do you know the hours of the restaurant?
Thanks

mtnpop - 7-25-2014 at 09:37 AM

I think it was 600 peso base and with the pooch 700 peso a little more pricey than Jardines.. but it got us thru San Quintin and out of the early morning bus traffic going north... coming south that didn't work..
Not sure on the restaruant but maybe 10 pm.. I know once we pulled in really late and that made us snacks....
good luck...

Bob53 - 7-25-2014 at 10:15 AM

It never seems very crowded when I drive by.

micah202 - 7-25-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Do you know what they charge for a single and one dog?
Thanks

...you'd probably save a LOT if you bring your own dog :yes::yes:;D

bajacalifornian - 7-25-2014 at 11:00 AM

:tumble: good one micah . . .

willardguy - 7-25-2014 at 03:14 PM

last years inaugural BAJA RALLY used this hotel for its first stage bivouac, everyone seemed pleased :yes:

Russ - 7-25-2014 at 04:50 PM

I stayed there last winter some time and wrote a review. I like it being north of the San Quitin traffic in the morning, the beds and rooms are nice and clean. Wasn't at all impressed with the food, not very fresh. There were no other guests and they accommodated us for dinner at our convenience. The parking really sucks! But for a quick overnight stop it works fine.

Bajahowodd - 7-25-2014 at 05:00 PM

Have passed this place many times and wondered about it. Always thought that this was an early investment in the long talked about Punta Colonet deep harbor for the off-loading of LNG, and other commodities.

Simply stated, we have previously planned our trips South without considering this property. But it does sound quite good, especially considering how far North of San Quintin it is.

Gonna give it a try.

mojo_norte - 7-25-2014 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
The parking really sucks! But for a quick overnight stop it works fine.

What's wrong with the parking? From DK's heli photo looks like there's tons of parking area?

Russ - 7-25-2014 at 05:20 PM

Yep there is plenty of parking but the drive up and the parking lot itself is round rocks and really bumpy. Also the parking area is really slopped and there is a bit of a climb to the hotel/ restaurant. Not a big deal but something to complain about. The manager was really nice.

willardguy - 7-25-2014 at 05:37 PM

nothing against the hotel, but big rig traffic is now insane between SQ and Colonet, with Vicente Guerrero looking like Castaic. time it wrong coupled with farmworker buses and you're in for a long haul. Don Rafa needs to get out of the hotel business and get into the road building business! :o

BajaBlanca - 7-25-2014 at 05:47 PM

always wondered what this place was like...thanks for the review.

El Jefe - 7-26-2014 at 08:20 AM

I paid 600 pesos for a single room. Noise from the road was not an issue at all. The bar down by the road looked closed up. I slept great.

Bajahowodd - 7-26-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
nothing against the hotel, but big rig traffic is now insane between SQ and Colonet, with Vicente Guerrero looking like Castaic. time it wrong coupled with farmworker buses and you're in for a long haul. Don Rafa needs to get out of the hotel business and get into the road building business! :o

The hotel is high on a hill and distant from the highway. I'm fairly confident that highway noise won't be a big deal. Just compare that to the Baja Cactus, right on the road, at the end of a long grade, with trucks idling in their Pemex station.

No jake brake issues at Paraiso Colonet.

bajario - 7-27-2014 at 09:15 AM

We tried to get a room there last night as the Jardines, Villa Real and Maria Celeste in San Q were booked up. Apparently a missionary group arrived before us and booked the whole complex. The Mission hotel on the side of the rode south of here was also full. Ensenada was completely full. So we arrived home last night at 1:30 after 20+ hours of driving from San Juanico. A couple wrong turns on the north road out and gas, leg stretches, looking for hotel rooms added a lot of time.

Bajahowodd - 7-27-2014 at 04:55 PM

The Christian missionary story in Mexico is something that deserves its own thread. An historically Roman Catholic nation has been bombarded by the so-called Christians in the past few decade. They are preying upon the poorest of the poor.

I'm not looking to start it. But, it is a story that should be told.

lizard lips - 7-27-2014 at 10:39 PM

Had lunch there with Bajaguy a few months ago. The food was very good but the chips and salsa were even better.

woody with a view - 7-28-2014 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
We tried to get a room there last night as the Jardines, Villa Real and Maria Celeste in San Q were booked up. Apparently a missionary group arrived before us and booked the whole complex. The Mission hotel on the side of the rode south of here was also full. Ensenada was completely full. So we arrived home last night at 1:30 after 20+ hours of driving from San Juanico. A couple wrong turns on the north road out and gas, leg stretches, looking for hotel rooms added a lot of time.

how was it? not the hotel......

bajario - 7-29-2014 at 05:41 AM

A beautiful couple days on the lake. Went south on the beach near the river mouth one day for some little waves and fish. Still better than work. Can't wait for the day where I don't have to book a vacation months in advance. Just want to say "Get in the car we're going".

woody with a view - 7-29-2014 at 08:32 AM

that's why I play lotto!