BajaNomad

Mexico denies asylum to migrant children

Pages:  1    3

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 11:49 AM

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/in-english/2014/mexico-asylum-...

Ateo - 7-28-2014 at 12:09 PM

This ought to be another 45 page thread.....:)

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

I doubt there's anyone left with that much stamina...let alone pertinent information. :lol:

DianaT - 7-28-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I doubt there's anyone left with that much stamina...let alone pertinent information. :lol:

My money is on Ateo. Time for the popcorn!
And Dennis, if you are correct, well the popcorn will still be good. :biggrin::biggrin:

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 01:18 PM

I find it really sad and very hypocritical that the Republicans, who most claim to be Christians, would send innocent children back into harm's way. I'm sorry but Christianity along with many other religions of helping those in need, go hand in hand or should! Where is the Christian humanity here! Open up your churches and let these children in. Feed them, clothe them, and find homes for them right here in the good ol USA!

Maybe they should be asking themselves, "what would Jesus do"!

These are not illegal immigrants, they are refugees, let's get that right and maybe the conversation will change!

I think the Gov. of Maryland, Martin O'Malley, has a good point, "it is contrary to everything we stand for to summarily send children back to death".

These are children for crying out loud, and yet now they are pawns in a Political game, it's so heartbreaking!

redmesa - 7-28-2014 at 01:32 PM

I do not think it is a religious problem but a problem with politicians that have lost all sense of morality and integrity. Promoting fear and self-interest is the new way to get elected it seems.

David K - 7-28-2014 at 01:37 PM

Don't these children belong with their parents??? Democrats forced Elian Gonzalez out of family members arms to send him to Cuba where his father was despite his mother dying to bring him to America.

akshadow - 7-28-2014 at 01:39 PM

If you as individuals want to take care of the children send funds through a church or some other institution to take care of them in their home country. Not keep them in the US.

ncampion - 7-28-2014 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
I find it really sad and very hypocritical that the Republicans, who most claim to be Christians, would send innocent children back into harm's way. I'm sorry but Christianity along with many other religions of helping those in need, go hand in hand or should! Where is the Christian humanity here! Open up your churches and let these children in. Feed them, clothe them, and find homes for them right here in the good ol USA!

These are not illegal immigrants, they are refugees, let's get that right and maybe the conversation will change!

I think the Gov. of Maryland, Martin O'Malley, has a good point, "it is contrary to everything we stand for to summarily send children back to death".

These are children for crying out loud, and yet now they are pawns in a Political game, it's so heartbreaking!

So how many are you signing up to take? It's an unfortunate fact of life that the USA cannot take care of all the poor in the world.

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 01:50 PM

I agree that Politician have lost all sense of morality and integrity!

But it's very hypocritical to see some of these Politicians who claim to be Christians AND play to their Christian base when it is convenient for them, and yet get on the news channels wanting to turn these kids away. Not a very Christian OR compassionate thing to do IMHO. They hide behind their religion to sing to their choir. It's disgusting!

I'd much rather put my tax dollars into paying for food stamps/welfare for the families wanting to take these kids in than pay corporate welfare to Walmart who makes billlons in profits.

where's the humanity for these kids?

Put these Politicians feet to the fire and let's see how Christian they really are!

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 01:51 PM

DavidK, of course they belong with their parents, but in the meantime???

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
I find it really sad and very hypocritical that the Republicans, who most claim to be Christians, would send innocent children back into harm's way.

I'll have to read the article again, but I thought it was about Mexico.
I'm easily confused.

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 01:53 PM

I wish I could take them in, but I already help my son raise my 2 grandchildren. There are plenty of people willing to take these kids in!

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
I wish I could take them in, but I already help my son raise my 2 grandchildren. There are plenty of people willing to take these kids in!

Like there's no American kids that could use a bit of "taking in." Why are they so easy to be left out in the cold?

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 02:04 PM

Absolutely there are PLENTY of American kids that could use taking in, Dennis. I know this first and as I work with heroin and meth addicted families.

And I too sure would like to know the answer to your question, why are they left out in the cold? I ask this myself all the time!

Lee - 7-28-2014 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Absolutely there are PLENTY of American kids that could use taking in, Dennis. I know this first and as I work with heroin and meth addicted families.

And I too sure would like to know the answer to your question, why are they left out in the cold? I ask this myself all the time!

Wow talk about flavor of the month. Who was taking care of these kids before they reached the border?

Why are they left out in the cold? Because it's a tough world?

How many Christians here think the US should take care of ALL kids coming to our border? How many who answered yes are planning to adopt some of these kids?

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
How many who answered yes are planning to adopt some of these kids?

:lol::lol: Man oh effing man...if the NIMBY effect ever had a stronger foothold on issues in the US, I don't know where that might be.

MMc - 7-28-2014 at 02:27 PM

Well, we are of to a good start. We have already jumped to American politics and religion, we're still on the first page. This will be a good one. More popcorn please.

Bajahowodd - 7-28-2014 at 05:07 PM

Recall that these are not Mexican kids. They are from Central American countries and had an arduous journey. !00 miles or more.

I totally believe them to be refugees.

All the so-called Christian bull crap aside, it really appears that the US has become so much less welcoming than when the statue of liberty was erected.

My money, what little is left, is because we have been gradually taken over by an oligarchy, who only looks for profits; not fairness.

These are friggin' children.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

These are fragmented families which will require reassembly in short order. To try and pass off these kids as independent sojourners is the big lie. They are the new "anchor babies."
The more people try to sell me the line of goods..... innocent children and all that crap, the stronger I repel from the disingenuous reasoning.

DianaT - 7-28-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Recall that these are not Mexican kids. They are from Central American countries and had an arduous journey. !00 miles or more.

I totally believe them to be refugees.

All the so-called Christian bull crap aside, it really appears that the US has become so much less welcoming than when the statue of liberty was erected.

My money, what little is left, is because we have been gradually taken over by an oligarchy, who only looks for profits; not fairness.

Yes, they are REFUGEES --- Having lived there, we know from what they are fleeing and the hand of the US is all over that mess down there.

I suspect that the oligarchy will soon attempt to privatize lady liberty and destroy more of what this country USED to stand for.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I suspect that the oligarchy will soon attempt to privatize lady liberty and destroy more of what this country USED to stand for.

Times change as do circumstances. The Statue of Liberty is a relic of our history...not a forever IOU to the third world.

How many of these kids are you and Howard going to take home, Diana...or is that just for other people?

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by DENNIS]

bajabuddha - 7-28-2014 at 05:40 PM

WHY ISN'T THIS STUPID-AZZED THREAD ON THE OT???

monoloco - 7-28-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, they are REFUGEES --- Having lived there, we know from what they are fleeing and the hand of the US is all over that mess down there.

Good point, our 150 years of meddling and propping up despotic regimes in Central America are directly responsible for much of the poverty and violence in the region. How convenient for us to just wash our hands of the problem now.

DianaT - 7-28-2014 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Times change as do circumstances. The Statue of Liberty is a relic of our history...not a forever IOU to the third world.

How many of these kids are you and Howard going to take home, Diana...or is that just for other people?

Sane type of things were said when the USA turned back the St. Louis and that sure ended well for those refugees, many of whom were children without their parents.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by DianaT]

BajaRat - 7-28-2014 at 05:44 PM

Quote:

The USA on its current track can't "support through subsidies" its existing population. We used to be known as the land of the free,now its the land of free things.
Don't have food, housing or health care it's no longer a church problem, the elected officials decided its governments problem and they have a credit card bill that YOUR CHILDREN will be called on to pay.
Its not being insensitive its being unrealistic :no::no:

monoloco - 7-28-2014 at 05:48 PM

Quote:

The Republican party was quite generous when it came to arming and training the repressive governments and rightwing death squads who put down any and all land reform movements in Central America that could have helped alleviate poverty.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:

Sane type of things were said when the USA turned back the St. Louis and that sure ended well for those refugees, many of whom were children without their parents.

More ancient history...1939. You do live in a world without calendars, doncha.

redmesa - 7-28-2014 at 06:06 PM

If there were a list of people who would take care of these children would that help. I would take 2, no problem.

SFandH - 7-28-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there. Why would he, he started it.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
If there were a list of people who would take care of these children would that help. I would take 2, no problem.

What's stopping you? Go get them.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there.

Are you kiddin'? this thread is a freakin lullaby compared to some of the other barf flying around here.
Hey...don't bother me now. I'm making a list of new mommies and daddies for the pobrecitos......and their extended families that will be coming over soon.

1...Redmesa
2...DianaT
3..Howard
OK....who's next?

redmesa - 7-28-2014 at 06:19 PM

A good list to be on. Thank you.

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 06:31 PM

Exactly Bajahowodd, "These are friggin children".

I don't see these kids as "those" kids, I don't see them as Central American kids, I simply see these children as children.

danaeb - 7-28-2014 at 06:33 PM

UH OH. What's next DENNIS? Animated .gif's?

Quote:

Are you kiddin'? this thread is a freakin lullaby compared to some of the other barf flying around here.
Hey...don't bother me now. I'm making a list of new mommies and daddies for the pobrecitos......and their extended families that will be coming over soon.

1...Redmesa
2...DianaT
3..Howard
OK....who's next?

Lee - 7-28-2014 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there. Why would he, he started it.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by SFandH]

Why? Because this thread isn't stupid. It's current events, and happening now.

''Psychological parameters to understand and manage the NIMBY effect''

''This phenomenon, which to a certain extent can be considered normal, is related to social perception of risk, to the complex process of attribution of causes, and to perceived inequity. It addresses the issue of life quality in terms of the potential alteration of people's well-being that generates self-defence behavior.''

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1162908805...

I think thousands of kids crossing the US border might represent the straw breaking the camel's back. Kids today, adults and everyone else for how many years? Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama -- NONE of them doing a positive thing to stop the flow of migrants. Now we should take kids in because they're kids?

I don't have a dog in this fight. It doesn't matter a wit to me what the solution is -- as long as the US government is involved and the tax paying public goes along with it.

Open the gates and no borders or else send them all back. Take care of the kids and adults at home who are at poverty level and hungry FIRST. And then feed the world.

And I'm curious: what WOULD Jesus do here?

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
UH OH. What's next DENNIS? Animated .gif's?

ohhh yeh....I'm gonna have everybody on the list squirming around nekid in a big greasy pile.

Want on...or...in? We have a few places still open.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

And I'm curious: what WOULD Jesus do here?

He'd probably try to address the cause of the problem instead of pasting bandages all over it.
During this crisis, I've yet to hear anything like this.
If the problem isn't solved, the hoards will continue to come, and people here who think this is a sustainable situation have their heads planted in a deep, dark and smelly place.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 07:02 PM

By the way...let me drop another reminder:
The article at the start of this thread is about Mexico...not the USA.
Now...can we get back on point?
Probably doubtful. :lol:

woody with a view - 7-28-2014 at 07:06 PM

which point?

:lol:

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 07:08 PM

The pointless point. :)

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 07:13 PM

Yes, Dennis started the original post, but I sort of went off on it, sorry!

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 07:15 PM

ummm well I'm sure Jesus wouldn't feel any borders should exist, dontcha think?

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 07:29 PM

I sort of get what you are saying BajaRat, we have a lot of problems here at home and don't need to be taking care of the world's problem, HOWEVER...if we would start by just stopping all the money being hidden overseas from these crooked Corporations who have tax havens, and keep the money here in the U.S. then perhaps we can begin to take care of what needs to be taken care of here.

For instance: Walmart pays it's employees such a low wage, they have to rely on food stamps and subsidized healthcare to survive, then Walmart exploits the tax holes to avoid paying billions in taxes that fund food stamps, and then they reap billions in profits when food stamps are spent in their stores. What a cluster you-know-what! Yep that's Walmart's business model!

We would have so much more money if they would just start sinching up the tax holes, ugh!

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 07:32 PM

Jesus sure as heck wouldn't be judging them because they are not vaccinated, or judging them because they don't belong here.

woody with a view - 7-28-2014 at 07:34 PM

so if you move to Washington, texas or florida (states without taxes) are you then considered a traitor to your ex state? we need to make things in this country. we don't even make shoe laces anymore....... PATHETIC!

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
ummm well I'm sure Jesus wouldn't feel any borders should exist, dontcha think?

Certainly not the Rio Grand. He'd walk right across that puddle in open defiance.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Jesus sure as heck wouldn't be judging them because they are not vaccinated, or judging them because they don't belong here.

I doubt Jesus is judging Walmart either.

BajaLuna - 7-28-2014 at 07:42 PM

monoloco, where's the like button, I totally agree!

wessongroup - 7-28-2014 at 07:50 PM

Just the way ya look at things ... some see danger, others don't ..

Ateo - 7-28-2014 at 07:54 PM

Wow. Just spent 25 minutes on maybe the longest post I've ever made. Hit "post reply" and it went to nowhere land. What an enormous waste of time. I should've saved it, because the fury is now lost, as I start in on my In-N-Out Double Double.

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just spent 25 minutes on maybe the longest post I've ever made. Hit "post reply" and it went to nowhere land. What an enormous waste of time. I should've saved it, because the fury is now lost, as I start in on my In-N-Out Double Double.

I'll trade you two young Nicaraguans, complete with leaf blowers, for one of them there Double Doubles. :lol:

DENNIS - 7-28-2014 at 08:03 PM

Oh OH....David is feeling lonely and neglected over on the Marine thread.

wessongroup - 7-28-2014 at 08:04 PM

Ateo ... you too .. it's a real bummer .. HUH :lol::lol:

MMc - 7-28-2014 at 08:24 PM

Quote:

I hate when that happens, now I write in word and copy over most of the time.
Let me get some more popcorn!!!!

dtbushpilot - 7-28-2014 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
I sort of get what you are saying BajaRat, we have a lot of problems here at home and don't need to be taking care of the world's problem, HOWEVER...if we would start by just stopping all the money being hidden overseas from these crooked Corporations who have tax havens, and keep the money here in the U.S. then perhaps we can begin to take care of what needs to be taken care of here.

For instance: Walmart pays it's employees such a low wage, they have to rely on food stamps and subsidized healthcare to survive, then Walmart exploits the tax holes to avoid paying billions in taxes that fund food stamps, and then they reap billions in profits when food stamps are spent in their stores. What a cluster you-know-what! Yep that's Walmart's business model!

We would have so much more money if they would just start sinching up the tax holes, ugh!

Would you care to share your source of this claim with the rest of us?

Here you go

bajaguy - 7-28-2014 at 08:44 PM

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/immigration/californ...

Quote:

dtbushpilot - 7-28-2014 at 08:48 PM

Quote:

You can't expect republicans to be willing to pay for child care, the war on women has pretty much drained their coffers.:lol::lol::lol:

bajadogs - 7-28-2014 at 09:13 PM

These republican "protests" showing the ugliest, vile strain of modern Americana are the same conservative simpletons who find enough time to protest family planning clinics. What is their message? "We love the fetus - we hate the child". All the while pretending you are for smaller government? Religion makes people insane! In Dog I trust!

LancairDriver - 7-28-2014 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

The evil Walmart Corp paid 7.98 billion in taxes in 2013 on 25.74 billion earnings before taxes. That is a tax rate of over 31%. They had to spend 443 billion to earn 25.74 Bil before taxes. They have paid 7 billion or more in taxes for the last 5 years. How much more should they pay? Check out some of the other US Corporations. Many of the low income people rely on Walmart for virtually all of their needs. Many of the achievers working for Walmart quickly advance into supervisory or management positions that are well paying. Like any other job, simply having weight and occupying space is no ticket to success. Until the majority of our population shifts from takers to producers, we will continue the downward spiral we are in.
We can't support the world. How about some of the African countries who are far worse off? Why not take care of them also? We have huge domestic problems that desperately need attention before we become the caretaker for the rest of the world.

wessongroup - 7-28-2014 at 10:51 PM

Spot on

Genecag - 7-28-2014 at 10:54 PM

The kids intercepted at the boarders will be detained and or temporarily united with extended family until they can be given a hearing on their request for asylum. This is the law, current law that protects kids against sex trafficking.

As an immigrant myself, I still believe that the USA is the 'Home of the Brave, Land of the Free and Opportunity'! We were and are a symbol of Freedom and Democracy for all the World.

We still have much to share and as we reap the benefits of our Economic and Military Might sharing is what should be done.

monoloco - 7-29-2014 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

The evil Walmart Corp paid 7.98 billion in taxes in 2013 on 25.74 billion earnings before taxes. That is a tax rate of over 31%. They had to spend 443 billion to earn 25.74 Bil before taxes. They have paid 7 billion or more in taxes for the last 5 years. How much more should they pay? Check out some of the other US Corporations. Many of the low income people rely on Walmart for virtually all of their needs. Many of the achievers working for Walmart quickly advance into supervisory or management positions that are well paying. Like any other job, simply having weight and occupying space is no ticket to success. Until the majority of our population shifts from takers to producers, we will continue the downward spiral we are in.
We can't support the world. How about some of the African countries who are far worse off? Why not take care of them also? We have huge domestic problems that desperately need attention before we become the caretaker for the rest of the world.
Watch the documentary film "The High Cost of Low Prices".

http://youtu.be/Jazb24Q2s94

chuckie - 7-29-2014 at 06:00 AM

Threads like this bring out all the hypocrites. Wringing their hands, oozing sympathy, emoting all over, the poor children etc. BUT I suspect NONE of them will actually go so far as to take one of these kids into their home. We would BUT....Much like attending a right to life meeting, and asking at the peak of the oratory for a show of hands of those in attendance who have adopted a child....There is a stunned moment of silence, then the conversation shifts to the Denver Broncos chances next season...

rzitren - 7-29-2014 at 06:38 AM

Why not reduce the amount of US aid to the countries the kids are coming from by the amount that we will spend on them. Since probably 50 percent of our aid money is going into some politicians pocket down there, his income would be reduced by at least half. With reduced income maybe he would be motivated to clean up the problems in his country. With a reduced flow of children to the US we would send more aid money south and he would skim more money and see the results of his labor. I am sure I am over simplifying the solution.

SFandH - 7-29-2014 at 06:47 AM

There are charitable organizations looking for money and manpower to help these kids. Google it if you're so inclined.

BajaLuna - 7-29-2014 at 06:55 AM

rzitren, I agree, but what you say just makes too much sense!

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 07:31 AM

What will these crime ridden countries do when they come to a generation gap in their population and realize they have no work force? Then, the need for cheap labor will be answered by countries lower on the economic scale. It won't be long before profiteers are bringing in labor from the Middle East.
But...we all Gawd's chilun...right?

DianaT - 7-29-2014 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Threads like this bring out all the hypocrites. Wringing their hands, oozing sympathy, emoting all over, the poor children etc. BUT I suspect NONE of them will actually go so far as to take one of these kids into their home. We would BUT....Much like attending a right to life meeting, and asking at the peak of the oratory for a show of hands of those in attendance who have adopted a child....There is a stunned moment of silence, then the conversation shifts to the Denver Broncos chances next season...

Begging the question type argument. First of all, many, many of these children already have family in the United States who will take them and there are LOTS of families in their younger years who would adopt the others --- much better qualified than a bunch of 60 and 70 year old people. Homes for them would not be a problem if they are cleared to stay.

But it would also require reasonable immigration reform as many of these families are living in the shadows and Mr. Speaker won't let that happen.

It is a matter of society's priorities --- spend our tax dollars on this humanitarian crisis, or continue the massive corporate welfare.

The US made a real mess out of much of Central America and now we want to turn our back on all of it.

Again, the US was culpable in the persecution of the Jews in Europe and how many children were on the ship St Louis that we refused to allow to enter the US for many of the same arguments. In that case, we just didn't want to change the "quota" system so we sent them back to die.

redmesa - 7-29-2014 at 08:11 AM

Maybe the Catholic Church, which is the villain in many cases, should fork up some of its more than 30 billion dollars to help the children of the world which they encouraged to pro-create and then abuse.

BajaLuna - 7-29-2014 at 08:29 AM

I couldn't agree more, redmesa!

they want to protect the unborn but as soon as they are born, they wash their hands!

off topic rant.....And ya know what really irks me is when I drive by a Church, like say the ones in my town, and they have land around the church, big grassy areas, and instead of turning those into community food gardens for those who need food, or donate that food to the food banks, they just leave the land grass. So yeah lets let families struggle, kids go without 3 meals a day, and pass the buck onto the rest of society.

The Catholic church does many good things, but let's see them step up for these refugee kids!

Juan Williams last night said on the O'Reilly show, which I don't watch but caught on video this morning on HuffPo, we could put say 20 of these rufugee kids in each state and that wouldn't be such a strain on just one State. Surely each state can handle a few kids!

chuckie - 7-29-2014 at 08:29 AM

Diana T? Please post the name of one of the "lots of young families" who are going to take one of these children? Just one? Should be easy, que no? Are YOUR children going to take one? It's always someone elses problem, isn't it? The gummint, the Catholic church.....Not yours...most certainly....Step up, or shut up..

dtbushpilot - 7-29-2014 at 08:32 AM

Boy, the Kool-Aid is flowing freely today...

BajaLuna - 7-29-2014 at 08:32 AM

ummm and I guess the Statue of Liberty only applies to European immigrants Like most of us...and not all immigrants?

wessongroup - 7-29-2014 at 08:35 AM

To ensure that the entire planets starving and poor were living at our standard in the United States ... has been estimated by science would take four (4) planets the size of our earth ...

But, who's counting .. :lol::lol:

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Maybe the Catholic Church, which is the villain in many cases, should fork up some of its more than 30 billion dollars to help the children of the world which they encouraged to pro-create and then abuse.

The church says all acts are the acts of God and it's not your place to call God into account.
Argue with that.

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
ummm and I guess the Statue of Liberty only applies to European immigrants Like most of us...and not all immigrants?

Actually, that was the original intention.

Lee - 7-29-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'll trade you two young Nicaraguans, complete with leaf blowers, for one of them there Double Doubles. :lol:

Dennis do you still have that In-n-Out shirt I sent you? Double double not on my list anymore. Well maybe I'll sneak one.

Lee - 7-29-2014 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
These republican "protests" showing the ugliest, vile strain of modern Americana are the same conservative simpletons who find enough time to protest family planning clinics. What is their message? "We love the fetus - we hate the child". All the while pretending you are for smaller government? Religion makes people insane! In Dog I trust!

There it is.

willardguy - 7-29-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Quote:

Dennis do you still have that In-n-Out shirt I sent you? Double double not on my list anymore. Well maybe I'll sneak one.

just one little one can't hurt!

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 09:58 AM

That's the Quad-Quad. YUMMY

Yeah, Lee. Still have it...still new. I'm gonna be cremated in it.

monoloco - 7-29-2014 at 10:25 AM

Not one immigration hardliner here has addressed the question of whether or not the US bears any responsibility for the political situation in Central America that has lead to the violence and extreme poverty.

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Not one immigration hardliner here has addressed the question of whether or not the US bears any responsibility for the political situation in Central America that has lead to the violence and extreme poverty.

United Fruit. Blame the Banana.

By the way...I haven't heard anyone ask the question...including you.

JoeJustJoe - 7-29-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Of course the USA bears a lot of responsibility and blame because what's going on in Central America, because of it's "free trade" polices, and "war on drugs" polices that actually makes those countries a worse place to live among the poor, but hey it helps the rich in those countries.

What's real interesting is that Nicaragua, which is pretty much in the same boat as other central American countries in terms of poverty, isn't losing their young children
trying to escape the harsh conditions in their central Americans countries and trying to come to the USA.

Nicaragua also has one of the lowest death per 100,000 than most Latin American countries. One of the reasons why Nicaragua is a safer place to live despite being poor, is because the people of that country threw off Reagan's US bloody "contra" war where Reagan tried to overthrow the government and then install a puppet, that would enrich rich corporations with free trade agreements, and make Nicaragua fight the losing war on drugs like other Latin American countries.

Here read a little bit about how NIcaragua is safer place to live, and why their kids are fleeing harsh conditions and then trying to come to the USA by the thousands like other central American teens are.

We read that children are streaming across the Texas border from Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador…but….not Nicaragua? Why aren’t Nica’s children fleeing the left wing Sandinista government that the US has been trying to crush ever since their revolution in 1979? Could it be that Nicaragua, despite its poverty, provides more security for its population than other Central American countries? Yes! Check out the stats: lowest homicide rate, no death squads, little gang activity: “least violent country in Central America and safest in all Latin America”!! Wow! Maybe Obama could shift gears, and, instead of sending military equipment to ‘fight’ the ‘war’ on drugs, and the ‘war’ on youth, he might support education, health and small farmers in Central America, and repeal the disastrous free trade policies that are making the rich richer and the poor ready to head for the border. That might help convince young people to stay home.

http://www.nicanet.org/?page=blog&id=27148

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 11:42 AM

Maybe it's safer because Daniel Ortega runs a much more oppressive regime and won't tolerate the crime.

chuckie - 7-29-2014 at 11:50 AM

BINGO!

wessongroup - 7-29-2014 at 12:10 PM

Agree with sending the money south and classifying the situation as a "Humanitarian Crisis" .. .with help coming from the: UN and Church too ...

Which just might reduce the flow north and perhaps, make living better for those in the affected nations to the south of us ...

And speaking about those to the immediate south, in Central America .. the total population estimate for 2013 by the CIA . is 43,308,660 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

It would appear WE in the United States have taken in our fair share ... as the current estimate for illegal immigrants in the United States is around 11 million at this time ... I've heard and/or read

And counting up those who have been granted amnesty in others years would seem to indicate more than fair amount have gained American Citizenship ... would appear to be around half of the entire population of Central America

And it would appear ... there may be many more on the way ...

A 2012 survey by Gallup found roughly 640 million adults would want to migrate to another country if they had the chance to.[9] Nearly one-quarter (23%) of these respondents, which translates to more than 150 million adults worldwide, named the United States as their desired future residence, while an additional 7% of respondents, representing an estimated 45 million, chose the United Kingdom. The other top desired destination countries (those where an estimated 25 million or more adults would like to go) were Canada, France, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Germany and Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration

Another 150 ... well, OK .... if ya say so ... :):)

Have fun with that ...

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by wessongroup]

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 12:49 PM

It's all so simple. Our government, with it's extensive experience in creating jobs at home can send a team of experts [start with Nancy P, John B and Harry R] to Central America to give guidance to the heathens. They'll be saying the Pledge of Allegiance in no time at all.

JoeJustJoe - 7-29-2014 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
It's all so simple. Our government, with it's extensive experience in creating jobs at home can send a team of experts [start with Nancy P, John B and Harry R] to Central America to give guidance to the heathens. They'll be saying the Pledge of Allegiance in no time at all.

BTW Dennis when is the last time you held a 9 to 5 job?

Any year of decade would be a satisfactory answer.

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 01:07 PM

My life is a 9 - 5 job.

wessongroup - 7-29-2014 at 01:59 PM

Great to be retired .. HUH :biggrin::biggrin:

Bajahowodd - 7-29-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Begging the question type argument. First of all, many, many of these children already have family in the United States who will take them and there are LOTS of families in their younger years who would adopt the others --- much better qualified than a bunch of 60 and 70 year old people. Homes for them would not be a problem if they are cleared to stay.

But it would also require reasonable immigration reform as many of these families are living in the shadows and Mr. Speaker won't let that happen.

It is a matter of society's priorities --- spend our tax dollars on this humanitarian crisis, or continue the massive corporate welfare.

The US made a real mess out of much of Central America and now we want to turn our back on all of it.

Again, the US was culpable in the persecution of the Jews in Europe and how many children were on the ship St Louis that we refused to allow to enter the US for many of the same arguments. In that case, we just didn't want to change the "quota" system so we sent them back to die.

It is absolutely mind boggling how the US has totally bungled Central and South American policy going back to at least the Reagan years.

Back then, it was a fear of the "commies".

Thanks to short-sighted congress folks being heavily lobbied by the petroleum industry, we have spend decades screwing around in the Middle East, instead of working closely with the folks in our own hemisphere.

What did Iraq bring us? Nada, save for thousands of deaths.

We need to focus on this hemosphere.

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 05:26 PM

They had more and better attention when they were tiles in the Domino Theory.

BajaLuna - 7-29-2014 at 05:29 PM

and dontcha just love all the hysteria and fear tactics about these kids. Be afraid, be veryyyy afraid they do not have shots, they might have diseases. Be afraid they are the boogie man!

Ok, so vaccinate them, ok so screen them for things, ok so treat them!

Gimme a break!

Oh yes... FEAR FEAR FEAR about everything! Fear tactics is about all they have left in their arsenal!

chuckie - 7-29-2014 at 05:36 PM

Where has that surfaced? AND one more time What Are YOU doing about it? How many of these kids are YOU taking in? How much money have YOU donated? Seems like you are continuing to advocate spending OUR tax dollars? You get no break...

DENNIS - 7-29-2014 at 05:54 PM

I wonder if they're all commies? :O

This may be a job for Herb Philbrick.

monoloco - 7-29-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:

It is absolutely mind boggling how the US has totally bungled Central and South American policy going back to at least the Reagan years.

We've been propping up despots and interfering in Central American politics for well over 100 years, now the chickens are coming home to roost.

ncampion - 7-29-2014 at 06:43 PM

Ok, so just how many of these people can we take? One billion, two billion? where do you stop??

Some figures from the United Nations Development Programme:

More than a billion people live with less than a dollar per day.
2.8 billion people, that is to say almost half of the global population, live with less than 2 dollars per day.
448 million children are underweight.
876 million adults are illiterate, two thirds of which are women.
Every day, 30,000 children under 5 die from avoidable diseases.
More than a billion people don’t have access to healthy water.

wessongroup - 7-29-2014 at 06:47 PM

Thanks ncampion ... a number would be nice ... HUH ... for planning purposes ya know :):)

Cisco - 7-29-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
and dontcha just love all the hysteria and fear tactics about these kids. Be afraid, be veryyyy afraid they do not have shots, they might have diseases. Be afraid they are the boogie man!

Ok, so vaccinate them, ok so screen them for things, ok so treat them!

Gimme a break!

Oh yes... FEAR FEAR FEAR about everything! Fear tactics is about all they have left in their arsenal!

Fearmongering is the purpose of the National Security State. That’s its point. To quote Orwell, for the hundredth time, “Power is not a means; it is an end. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.”

Pages:  1    3