BajaNomad

Leaving for Asuncion tomorrow, few last questions.

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 10:48 AM

Ok we are finally leaving Mon morning the 4th. We are going to spend the night at "The Mission Inn" in San Quintin before heading to Asuncion on Tuesday. Question is....good place to eat dinner, near our hotel in San Quintin? Should I unload the contents of roof rack into our room, so it doesn't disappear over night?

woody with a view - 8-3-2014 at 10:59 AM

let your conscience be your guide, Grasshopper! just know how much it'll suck to wake up and not have your stuffs......

tons of places to eat along the way. you do realize that San Q is only 3.5-4 hours SOB? add another 1.5 to the border from Riverside and you'll be looking for lunch by the time you arrive. i'd drive to G Negro-another 4 hours.

mtgoat666 - 8-3-2014 at 11:07 AM

splurge a bit and enjoy a really nice hotel in Catavina. Plus an evening hike among the boulders. Sq is pretty boring and hotels are average.

bajabuddha - 8-3-2014 at 11:13 AM

"...... you do realize that San Q is only 3.5-4 hours SOB? " IF you drive full-out. Good rule of thumb this time of year, if you get to San Quintin BEFORE 2 pm, you have another 4 hours to Guerrero and daylight. If not, take your time and enjoy the drive. Live long and prosper.

dtbushpilot - 8-3-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
splurge a bit and enjoy a really nice hotel in Catavina. Plus an evening hike among the boulders. Sq is pretty boring and hotels are average.

I agree with you goat.....wait a minute, did I say that out loud?:lol::lol:

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 11:17 AM

How much further to Catavina from San Q ?

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 11:21 AM

OK found it on the map. Whats so special about Catavina? Where to eat? Where to stay?

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
"...... you do realize that San Q is only 3.5-4 hours SOB? " IF you drive full-out. Good rule of thumb this time of year, if you get to San Quintin BEFORE 2 pm, you have another 4 hours to Guerrero and daylight. If not, take your time and enjoy the drive. Live long and prosper.
Was planning on driving about 50 mph the whole way. I'm loaded and regeared to 4.56 on 33's. slow and steady for my first visit back in 25 yrs.

BajaBlanca - 8-3-2014 at 11:34 AM

Catavina is very special! Let me see if I can find a link with some nice pics.

Great rule of thimb to see how long it takes you to get SQ and then take it from there. No rush....Asuncion will be awaiting with open arms.

bajabuddha - 8-3-2014 at 11:36 AM

Cataviņa is about 2, 2 1/2 hours from SQ. Be sure to gas up at El Rosario.

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 11:40 AM

Thanks fellow Nomads. Any tips on restaurants and hotels in Catavina?

gnukid - 8-3-2014 at 11:53 AM

I think there is only one formally at the Mision desert inn (la quinta) hotel?

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by gnukid]

bajabuddha - 8-3-2014 at 11:53 AM

There are a couple (or just one now) cheap motels there, and one pricey old, but nice La Quinta Hotel (on right side) that has a restaurant. The old ranchero of Santa Ynez a mile south used to rent out 'bunkhouse' rooms and had a small family kitchen. Stayed there once, but that was 11 years ago. For security, the La Quinta would be your best bet; ain't cheap though. I'd guess around $80/night give or take.

danaeb - 8-3-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassaholic
Thanks fellow Nomads. Any tips on restaurants and hotels in Catavina?

danaeb - 8-3-2014 at 11:58 AM

Everyone has their preferred place to stay.

I've enjoyed Hotel Mision in Catavina. The rooms are dated but comfortable, the grounds are pleasant and the restaurant has great views of the boulder field just outside the doors. It's a good place to stop the first night.

rts551 - 8-3-2014 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
There are a couple (or just one now) cheap motels there, and one pricey old, but nice La Quinta Hotel (on right side) that has a restaurant. The old ranchero of Santa Ynez a mile south used to rent out 'bunkhouse' rooms and had a small family kitchen. Stayed there once, but that was 11 years ago. For security, the La Quinta would be your best bet; ain't cheap though. I'd guess around $80/night give or take.

most La Quinta Hotels are North of the border. So the OP does not get confused, the Hotel Mision Catavina, is on thewest side of the hwy middle of town. There are No La Quinta hotels there.

http://hotelmisionsantamaria.com/en/catavina%20en.html

bajabuddha - 8-3-2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

most La Quinta Hotels are North of the border. So the OP does not get confused, the Hotel Mision Catavina, is on thewest side of the hwy middle of town. There are No La Quinta hotels there.

Sowwy, was going by VERY old memories. Used to be the 'chain' down Hwy 1. And, i believe it used to be 'La Qinta'... My apologies.

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by bajabuddha]

tripledigitken - 8-3-2014 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Whats so special about Catavina?

It's a beautiful part of Baja. These photos were taken within a ten minute walk from the hotel.

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by tripledigitken]

vgabndo - 8-3-2014 at 12:51 PM

Right across the street from the big Hotel is a cafe next to the old Pemex. They are a nice family, and I have always enjoyed authentic local food at their tables. Even watched part of the "lights out" Superbowl on their dish!

rts551 - 8-3-2014 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

Sowwy, was going by VERY old memories. Used to be the 'chain' down Hwy 1. And, i believe it used to be 'La Qinta'... My apologies.

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by bajabuddha]

La Pinta,to refresh your memory.

bajabuddha - 8-3-2014 at 12:55 PM

Wull, I may be old, but i'm slow.... :no:

danaeb - 8-3-2014 at 01:14 PM

Beautiful photo Ken.

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Whats so special about Catavina?

It's a beautiful part of Baja. These photos were taken within a ten minute walk from the hotel.

shari - 8-3-2014 at 01:52 PM

it will be like an oven in Catavina!!!! I cant even get out of the car there.
If you do get to GN, stay at Posada Don Vicente as it is gated, walled and has security so no problema with your stuff on the roof....see ya soon.

danaeb - 8-3-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
OK found it on the map. Whats so special about Catavina? Where to eat? Where to stay?

Jajaja! Be careful what you ask for.

Just head on down the road and see what looks good to you... You have lots of options. It will become your adventure, not ours.

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by danaeb]

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 05:15 PM

cool, Thanks everyone.

Bassaholic - 8-3-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Quote:

Jajaja! Be careful what you ask for.

Just head on down the road and see what looks good to you... You have lots of options. It will become your adventure, not ours.

[Edited on 8-3-2014 by danaeb]
Sounds like good advice. I have been overthinking everything. Time to slow down.

Feathers - 8-3-2014 at 09:43 PM

Quote:

The Catavina landscape is magical. That said, let me know when they upgrade their mattresses. $100 a night to sleep on almost-concrete isn't my idea of remotely "nice". :P

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Feathers]

vgabndo - 8-3-2014 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers
Quote:

The Catavina landscape is magical. That said, let me know when they upgrade their mattresses. $100 a night to sleep on almost-concrete isn't my idea of remotely "nice". :P

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Feathers]

Concrete mattresses reminds me of a little "find" in Guerrero Negro. The place directly west of and connected to the big Mercado is only $20. bucks a night, and the place is secure and clean. Minimal would be a good word. I learned later that I could have 'asked' for a room with a soft bed. Before I could sleep, I had brought all camping gear from the truck and piled it on the "mattress".

You guys know I'm like this. I punched the thing to try to get a measurable sense of how "soft" it was. My fist could move the surface about an inch.

Assuming that they do have softer beds in some rooms, they still have my recommendation for that price. Small secure parking lot outside your window. Someone will chime-in with the name.

See you in Bahia Asuncion.

chuckie - 8-4-2014 at 04:22 AM

AND You get to see Shari.....Sigh......

bajabuddha - 8-4-2014 at 06:08 AM

Chuckles, you are such a DOM... let me rephrase that; a SSC (Sexy Senior Citizen). Just remember the 'chin' story.

Bassaholic, drop us a line from Asuncion and let us know how your drive fared. We don't give out free advice here, we want entertainment and reports.

Have a great time and rip some lips for me!
bb

David K - 8-4-2014 at 08:05 AM

The hotel in Cataviņa was originally an El Presidente, opened in early 1974. That chain sold their new Baja highway hotels to La Pinta.

A few years ago, La Pinta hotels were renamed 'Desert Inn'. A couple years ago the Rodriguez (Los Pinos) tomato growers bought the Desert Inn in Cataviņa and renamed it Hotel Mision Cataviņa. They also bought the Desert Inn in San Quintin (south of town on the outer bay) and renamed it the Hotel Mision Santa Maria.

Martyman - 8-4-2014 at 11:24 AM

The original question was about the Hotel Mission Santa Maria in San Quintin. It is a wonderful hotel with decent prices, a quiet beach and an a fine restaurant. Stay there! There is a guarded parking lot.
I stay there every trip.

bajabuddha - 8-4-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
The original question was about the Hotel Mission Santa Maria in San Quintin. It is a wonderful hotel with decent prices, a quiet beach and an a fine restaurant. Stay there! There is a guarded parking lot.
I stay there every trip.

Marty, where is the turn-off to it? Downtown San Quintin? Also, do they have any RV accomodations, or just hotel only? Lastly, can you remember your last room prices? thx,
bb.

Martyman - 8-4-2014 at 03:03 PM

Turn right at the new Pemex at the South end of San Quintin next to Los Pinos vegetable producer. The Hotel is next to Cielito Lindo which has RV spaces. No RV 's at the hotel. I believe the rooms were around $50 usd

David K - 8-4-2014 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Turn right at the new Pemex at the South end of San Quintin next to Los Pinos vegetable producer. The Hotel is next to Cielito Lindo which has RV spaces. No RV 's at the hotel. I believe the rooms were around $50 usd

KM 11 Paved road to hotel (Mision Santa Maria) and graded road on to motel/ RV/ Bar/ Restaurant (Cielito Lindo)

I just bumped up the KILOMETER thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50544

David K - 8-4-2014 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I stay there every trip.

Marty, where is the turn-off to it? Downtown San Quintin? Also, do they have any RV accomodations, or just hotel only? Lastly, can you remember your last room prices? thx,
bb.

Stayed there last month. It is a few miles south of the twin towns of San Quintin and Lazaro Card##as and after the highway swings east and up a hill to avoid a repeated wash out area of the original Hwy. 1.

You will see the Pemex on the right and across from it is the Los Pinos packing house (looks like a mall). The paved road to the hotel turns west there... crosses the older Hwy. 1 (at the abandoned Parador/ gas station) and soon makes a sharp left turn for the hotel. Cielito Lindo is a mile further on a wide dirt road.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by David K]

woody with a view - 8-4-2014 at 04:10 PM

those trees growing into a tunnel on that road are pretty cool!

David K - 8-4-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Yes... and it spooks the girls at night big time!:lol:

Bob H - 8-4-2014 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

The last time I was on that road (several years ago) it was full of big pot holes. Has it been repaved?

David K - 8-4-2014 at 04:30 PM

Didn't notice any... but I was riding in a Ford Raptor with quite a bit of modification, lol!