BajaNomad

Interesting Business Model for a Boat Owner

wiltonh - 8-4-2014 at 11:46 AM

I was windsurfing in the Columbia River Gorge near Mosier and a guy showed up in a Zodiac. He had a camera and stopped to take some pictures. He puts an add up that includes a URL on the board in the parking lot. His URL was iwasphotographed.com. That day he put up 42 pictures of me and a total of 601 from that sailing site. He sells the pictures for $4 for a 4 X 6 print or $20 for a download.

After talking with my friends, we concluded that this was a service that most of us would pay for if the pictures were good.
I think someone could make some money at a place like La Ventana or Las Barrles.

Here is a URL that shows the pictures that I purchased. You can click on any picture to see it longer than 5 seconds if you wish. The first 6 were purchased as 4 X 6 and scanned in. The last picture which shows the Osprey nest on the concrete post was downloaded.

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/Rotate_Pic/Rotate_Pics.html

StuckSucks - 8-4-2014 at 02:19 PM

I think those kind of photogs come with action sports. When you ride your mountain bike on the Porcupine Rim Trail in Moab on weekends, there's photog at a jump near the end of the trail. In off road racing, there's always photogs at some cool part of the course, near the beginning of the race (wanna snap a photo before you break). Two weekends ago at Laguna Seca, I was talking to a guy who was in the same, pavement-biased business.

JakeinVegas - 8-5-2014 at 01:27 PM

If you think this is cool then check out the air dog drone at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEnThx2440 . I think there is a market for a beach kiosk renting these out to folks by the hour.

micah202 - 8-5-2014 at 01:31 PM

...I'm pretty sure there's a -mob- of photographers at ventana

wiltonh - 8-5-2014 at 03:13 PM

There is only one that I know about that does anything like this. He comes around Christmas but most of the season no one else is taking pictures from the water.

I know of people who hire someone but that is a totally different business model.

jimgrms - 8-6-2014 at 07:33 AM

Even back in the 60's this was going on .A dude named Manuel or Emanuel would be at all the m/c dirt tracks selling photos and taking them.