BajaNomad

Baja Vaqueros Coming to Elko NV

bufeo - 8-9-2014 at 10:25 AM

We received in this morning's mail the brochure for the 2015 "Cowboy Poetry Gathering" in Elko NV.

Each year the Gathering features a "cowboy culture" group from another part of the country or world. This year, the 31st year, they celebrate the vaquero of Baja California Sur [sic]. Though from the description it looks as though the vaqueros are those from the northern sierra region, the folks writing the piece for the brochure use the term "sur" a couple of times.

In any case, there will be a workshop of "Traditional Baja Ranch Cooking" as well as several evenings of their music mixed in with the usual fare of the Gathering.

We've been a few times and have always had a good time. We plan to attend this time just because we may by chance know one or two of these vaqueros or, at the very least, have mutual amigos. We already know a few of the performers, so it's always a good chance for us to catch up with them.

Allen R.

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2014 at 11:49 AM

What a neat idea to have these gatherings. There is a huge get. Together in a small town in Poland every year where they have cowboys, food, music and a car show. Many foreigners go every year. They call it the Country Piknik...I will post a photo of Les and I there.

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2014 at 01:21 PM

BajaBlanca - 8-9-2014 at 01:23 PM

Notice I am wearing a LA BOCANA t-shirt in Poland.