BajaNomad

the loss of the best of the best

bajabuddha - 8-11-2014 at 05:29 PM

"Can I have a room next to Mr. Winters, please ??!!".

He finally got it. http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=881799

RIP Mr. Williams.

majicparrot - 8-11-2014 at 05:37 PM

So incredibly sad. He was such a genius.

Bob H - 8-11-2014 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by majicparrot
So incredibly sad. He was such a genius.

Well stated!!!

RIP Robin

chippy - 8-11-2014 at 05:40 PM

He was the best of the best.

David K - 8-11-2014 at 06:19 PM

So if he was such a genius and the best, what went wrong do you think? I remember him always a Mork from Ork... Mrs. Doubtfire was pretty good, too.
Adios Mork!

blackwolfmt - 8-11-2014 at 06:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi3Eg3c_82M#t=56

Here is my 6 minute tribute to one of the funniest old hippies around:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 8-11-2014 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So if he was such a genius and the best, what went wrong do you think? I remember him always a Mork from Ork... Mrs. Doubtfire was pretty good, too.
Adios Mork!

David,
Who said anything went wrong?

Maybe he just decided to be in charge of his check-out.

He was one of the brightest comedians to make us laugh over a long period of time.

Suicide is not always a negative or unhealthy choice to make....let's respect his decision to end his life as he did without making it a mistake or failure.

Robin....thanks for all the belly laughs....your gift has lightened the weight of the world many time for many souls. :saint:

micah202 - 8-11-2014 at 06:39 PM

.....wow...sad way to go.

majicparrot - 8-11-2014 at 06:56 PM

He had struggled with severe depression recently, according to his family's press release, and with addiction in the past.

Anytime your brain tells your heart there is no hope left, and your heart believes the lie, it is devastating to the soul.

I wish for his family to find comfort and solace.

vandenberg - 8-11-2014 at 06:57 PM

Like PTSD, a severe depression is an affliction very difficult to deal with, even for an accomplished shrink, and it often results in a way hard to comprehend.

RIP Robin.

BajaGringo - 8-11-2014 at 07:04 PM

Although I never had the chance to meet Robin Williams, I once dated a woman with whom he had been involved with years before. Through her I got to know a lot about the true man behind the on-screen character and what a special man he was - kind, caring, intelligent, unique and fascinating. And like so many talented people in his art, he struggled with addictions.

His movie "What Dreams May Come", became very dear to me in the months following the loss of my 14 year old daughter Olivia. I probably watched it over 100 times and the message in that movie helped me to accept and deal with the loss of a child and learn to put her memory in a more healthy place in my daily life and struggle to move forward.

Rest in peace Robin Williams - you touched so many in your time here and now your memory lives on...

55steve - 8-11-2014 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Adios Mork!

These are my memories as well and good ones at that! I never really cared for his style of comedy as time passed though.

RIP Mr. Williams!

Robin Williams

skippermike - 8-11-2014 at 09:40 PM

MotoGed and BajaGringo have thoughtfully hit the issue of ones control of one's exit.
I don't think that choosing your exit is a sign of any illness or weakness - just an expression of your choice.
As I have gotten older, would I want some terminal illness, with the expense and anguish to my family, or would I step off the swimstep of a boat off Baja.
I know my choice.

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by skippermike]

motoged - 8-11-2014 at 10:02 PM

It has been said that we die twice: the first time when our body dies.....and the second time is when our name is last spoken.

Robin will live on in spirit and word for some time yet.

bajalearner - 8-11-2014 at 10:14 PM

Robin talked about using drugs heavily during the time of Mork. His mind was so extraordinary in front of the camera, I wonder what the extent of his lifelong drug use was and how it might have taken his mind to dark places. I always watched him with amazement.

bajadogs - 8-11-2014 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Adios Mork!

Good Will Hunting, The World According to Garp. I have avoided "What Dreams May Come" because I can't imagine that nightmare. I'm downloading it now and will watch it out of respect for Bajagringo.

It's your loss if your memory of Robin Williams is "Mork".

I recall that Robin Williams was a high school wrestler. That's when you're in control. Or not.

motoged - 8-11-2014 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
anyone NOT have a huge crush on mindy??

A bit too soon for that kind of highjack :no:

willardguy - 8-11-2014 at 10:39 PM

okie dokie

The worlds loss !!

captkw - 8-11-2014 at 10:42 PM

Mindy was babe !! but hands downs robin (mork) stole the show and the world's heart for a true funny guy that broke the rules like "George C"...just spent a 1 1/2 watching " A Evening with Robbins Williams" in his honor !! we, ALL lost another great spirit !!! God Speed and enjoy the next ride ROBIN !!!

bajadogs - 8-11-2014 at 11:16 PM

http://www.alibris.com/In-the-Wild-Gray-Whales-with-Christop...

Baja connection - Do any of you remember the Christopher Reeves (Superman) documentary on Grey Whales? Reeves and Williams were long time friends and Williams was by Reeves side throughout his ordeal.

Edit - fix link

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by bajadogs]

redhilltown - 8-12-2014 at 12:14 AM

Quote:
Adios Mork!

I wish I could be this eloquent and heartfelt discussing the death of someone who obviously brought such love, joy, and laughter to so many here on this board.

Marc - 8-12-2014 at 05:38 AM

He lived in our neighbor hood until recently. I would see him often walking or running in the park. His Halloween hand outs to the kids were special. A funny guy for sure, but he could also make you cry.
RIP

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by Marc]

rts551 - 8-12-2014 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Robin talked about using drugs heavily during the time of Mork. His mind was so extraordinary in front of the camera, I wonder what the extent of his lifelong drug use was and how it might have taken his mind to dark places. I always watched him with amazement.

Apparently sober much of his life and not "lifelong drug use"

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/12/robin-williams-death-sui...

MMc - 8-12-2014 at 07:55 AM

After Reeves, was out of money Williams supported him and his family for years.

I met him once and I was really impresses on how human he was. Very grounded and caring.

He provided us with a lot of laughs. Interesting that we all connected to him and we found out of his passing we needed to reach out to somebody, at lease I needed to. Rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
http://www.alibris.com/In-the-Wild-Gray-Whales-with-Christop...

Baja connection - Do any of you remember the Christopher Reeves (Superman) documentary on Grey Whales? Reeves and Williams were long time friends and Williams was by Reeves side throughout his ordeal.

Edit - fix link

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by bajadogs]

SFandH - 8-12-2014 at 08:15 AM

What a tragedy. I think laughter is an instinctive, reflexive expression of joy. He like nobody else could spark that reflex, often with tremendous humor and wit.

I'm glad his comedy is freely available on YouTube, he's not gone. His interviews with Charlie Rose are great. Here's a minute's worth.

DianaT - 8-12-2014 at 08:29 AM

Such a terrible loss. :no::no:

If he indeed made this choice for other reasons, then that deserves our respect. If he was suffering from the depression that some say led to this, than it is so very, very sad. Depression, like all mental illness, too often is burdened with a social stigma that gets in the way of treatment.

Too many think things like because he was a genius, or because he was so successful, what did he have to be depressed about. They don't understand that it is an illness the same as something like cancer that can strike anyone.

Robin Williams' idol, Jonathan Winters, who left this world last year suffered from depression and other mental illnesses. For years, he would sign himself into the Camarillo State Mental Hospital for treatment. If it was the depression with Williams, it is just too sad that he evidently was not finding the help he needed.

I keep hearing, "Good Morning, Vietnam!" While I have several favorites, that movie just sticks in my mind.

May Robin and his family find peace.

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by DianaT]

tripledigitken - 8-12-2014 at 09:44 AM

Hard to imagine the torment he was going through, being such a beloved human being, to cause him to end his life.

A very sad passing.........

A couple of memories of Robin.

Back in the 80's in San Francisco I was at the Great American Music Hall to see him perform. Half way into the show he was joined onstage by a guitarist and drummer, he pulled out a harmonica and played a blues set for 30 minutes blowing away every one in the hall.

While riding a motorcycle in Canada in 2001 on the Cassiar Highway (a North South route to Alaska in BC, little used compared to the "Alcan Highway" most are familiar with), we saw some of those white tents used at big events set up in the forest along the road. No one was around and it was hard to imagine why they would be there. Later came to discover it was one of the locations for the film Insomnia. With Al Pacino starring, Robin played a murderer and was just stunning in the role.

What a breadth of talent he had.

RIP

Whale-ista - 8-12-2014 at 11:26 AM

Well said Parrot. Like most, I've had friends and family members suffer from depression. Some did not survive.

Yesterday, I made it a point to reach out to some who I know are struggling with recent deaths of friends/family, loss of jobs/income, anxiety, aging- things we all experience, but not all "bounce back" as easily. I worried how they would react to William's death.

Depression is an illness of the brain. The more we understand that, the less we will pass judgement, any more than we do on people with illness in other parts of the body.

Thanks to Robin Williams for his brilliance. He shined so brightly and burned out too soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by majicparrot
He had struggled with severe depression recently, according to his family's press release, and with addiction in the past.

Anytime your brain tells your heart there is no hope left, and your heart believes the lie, it is devastating to the soul.

I wish for his family to find comfort and solace.

A comment astonishingly lacking in temerity

capt. mike - 8-12-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Adios Mork!

David - it saddens me you could be so curt. Perhaps you do not understand the range of severe clinical depression. Many with genius quality and immense talent end up so far down they end it all.

I will miss him. and Jonathon Winters was in an elite class of comics as well but alas had depression.

bajacalifornian - 8-12-2014 at 02:58 PM

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=881952

Words from Mr. Williams.

no change

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by bajacalifornian]

Kgryfon - 8-12-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
It has been said that we die twice: the first time when our body dies.....and the second time is when our name is last spoken.

Robin will live on in spirit and word for some time yet.

Now, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. RIP Robin.

motoged - 8-12-2014 at 06:09 PM

My gawd, David :O:O:O

Defending your judgement and insensitivity rather than retracting it with some element of humility just says a lot about you, your beliefs, and values :no:

Folks here aren't mourning the loss of the jokes....they are mourning the loss of the jester. They understood his struggle with depression and its symptoms....and some have opened their hearts to acknowledge how the illness of depression has hurt them and their families.

Suicide is not necessarily the behaviour of a coward...his time may have come....who are you to say? How does a "natural or accidental " death not "rob" those left behind?

I am disappointed with your callousness and insensitivity....but you have solidified a certain impression of the way you look at life. :(

bazinga - 8-12-2014 at 06:14 PM

Well said Motoged, I couldn't have said it better....

majicparrot - 8-12-2014 at 06:20 PM

Well put, Motoged. Not much to add, other than David clearly doesn't know sheet about depression or compassion. Clearly well versed in trollery and judgmental behavior, however.

DianaT - 8-12-2014 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Quote:
Adios Mork!

David - it saddens me you could be so curt. Perhaps you do not understand the range of severe clinical depression. Many with genius quality and immense talent end up so far down they end it all.

I will miss him. and Jonathon Winters was in an elite class of comics as well but alas had depression.

Curt? He hung himself... that is being pretty curt. His wife was at home and he wasn't lacking human contact or appreciation. I think it is a shame, but I also think it is selfish and cowardly to take your life before your time has come, unless you are terminal and maybe he was? Please don't care what I think, it doesn't matter. I am responding because you called me out on my short, curt reply.

I don't know anything about him beyond is movies and TV and all the talk on TV now. If he had children and grandchildren, then he has robbed them. His choice to stop entertaining may bother most here, but that is his choice and he did not have to kill himself in order to quit acting, I hope!

Being a husband, parent, grandparent or even a friend and taking that away is the tragedy, not losing an actor you liked to be entertained by. Sad for family and friends.

Unfortunately you are not the only one who is ignorant about depression. Think about it as a cancer of the mind that may or may not become terminal.

Try taking the time to educate yourself a little about subject. Being loved and appreciated is often not enough, and a truly depressed person is not capable of thinking about others while they are in their deep despair.

And I doubt any of us are grieving over losing his talent as that will continue to live and be available to enjoy over and over. It is the sad loss of a human being. Try reading about what he did for the Reeves family --- Robin Williams was a caring and good human being. Most have just expressed their compassion and empathy for him, his family and his friends. May you not learn about depression the way some of us have, and that is by losing a loved one to this disease.

I know that Sheppard Smith on Faux news also called him a possible coward so you are not alone in your ignorance; there were some others. Try educating yourself and not just accept what you hear on Faux.

But then again, it is your right to just not give a rip.

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by DianaT]

BajaGringo - 8-12-2014 at 09:48 PM

I battled with depression in the weeks and months following the sudden loss of my 14 year old daughter Olivia. It was debilitating and there were many days when I struggled to find a reason to get out of bed before noon, much less get dressed and go on about my day. It cuts you off at the knees and you can feel like you are falling down a deep hole with no possible way out.

It was the strong, relentless and caring hands of my local friends and neighbors where I lived here in Baja that refused to let me fall all the way down. One in particular - Rodolfo Carranza - was my next door neighbor. Over time I became very close to his family and I would sum him up with one word - cabron.

After time had passed since Olivia's funeral, he started coming to my door each day at around 6:30AM and began knocking - eventually turning into banging on my door until I would get up. He would come in uninvited and literally stand there until I got dressed, took me out for coffee and wouldn't take me back home until I got focused on doing something beyond grieving for that day. I remember one time when I wouldn't go down to answer the door he hauled a ladder over the back fence and climbed up to my second floor balcony where he banged on the glass sliding door until I finally got up.

He was a persistent cabron.

To know me today you would appreciate the severity of the state I was in and Rodolfo, along with his brother Juan Carlos and other friends played a huge role in helping me to climb out of the darkness, to begin to see life beyond the confines of my depression.

Rodolfo passed away from a heart attack two years ago last June and I will never, ever forget what he and his family did for me. I wonder if Robin Williams lacked someone like that in his life? It truly takes a special person to be able to help someone so lost in depression. Maybe we all can reflect for a moment to see if there is someone in our life who needs a "persistent cabron" for a friend right now. I am no therapist but what he did for me was life saving.

Love and miss you Rodolfo. You were heaven sent when I most needed it...

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by BajaGringo]

MMc - 8-12-2014 at 09:54 PM

WOW!..... DK. You are blessed that you have not been exposed to depression or mental illness.
A very good friend told me his family would be better off he was not in the world..... He believed it, he chose to find out the answer to the big question. He told his wife "when his dragons flew he could not control them, he would not expose his family to them". The world of the depressed is not something they chose to be in.
This is not a simple off the shelf answer, try looking at it another point of view. I do not think you can.

bajadogs - 8-12-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
I am quite familiar with suicide, and I stand by what I said because of what it did to my family. I am not advocating my feelings on anyone. Capt. Mike chose to use my first, short reaction to make a deal about it.

I don't watch Faux or Fox News typically, and not at all in several weeks. I have no idea of what Diana T has such a problem with any news or why she misspells it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

It is sad for what happened, but so is the death of the 4 Americans serving their country in Benghazi who were not helped. They didn't want to die, but Robin Williams did.

None of you are in my head, so please don't second guess my responses, as they were just my feelings. They make NO DIFFERENCE to the outcome. Post your feelings and I promise NOT TO HARASS YOU FOR HAVING THOSE FEELINGS.

OMG! You don't know why Faux is misspelled? This may be your most embarrassing post ever!

bajabuddha - 8-12-2014 at 10:49 PM

epitaph:

DAVID K.

2# of BULLchitE in a 1# BAG

bajadogs - 8-12-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Sad... can you stay on the thread or am I more important?

Benghazi is more important and a brilliant comparison with Robin Williams. :lol:

redhilltown - 8-12-2014 at 11:21 PM

Somehow bringing Benghazi into a discussion on Robin Williams and suicide... Roger Ailes & Mark Levin, your work here is finished.

bajabuddha - 8-12-2014 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Sad... can you stay on the thread or am I more important?

Benghazi is more important and a brilliant comparison with Robin Williams. :lol:

JAYZUS....

Popp-eye wuz more ....... import....... akkk -akakkakkakakaaa....:lol::lol:

bajabuddha - 8-13-2014 at 03:27 AM

Post Script :
Tonight watched a PBS doc on 'happiness, the pursuit of' as in world-wide and what it boils down to. The 'money' factor of course played in, and the statement was made about '' if money doesn't buy happiness, speak to someone living under the bridge"...... Then, not directly, but put albeit appropriately for the time, "if money does, ask ...--- - - - - --- '' and I thought... Robin?

Ethereal food for thought. Great doc, worth watching. Final play, it ain't what you need or got or want, but what you HAVE and how you BALANCE it all. Key word, BALANCE. Final stance, we can all be extremists of ether end; that's the simple way out. Go to the far extreme, back in to the wall, and yell and fight. There's no 'balance' there, just all weighted to ONE WALL or THE OTHER WALL. The true test is out on the middle, on the BALANCE beam, trying to gain EQUILIBRIUM. That's the hardest perch in the universe.

I believe Robin tried. I believe a lot of people talk.

My original opening line to this thread, ""Can I have a room next to Mr. Winters, please ??!!". Was a direct quote by him in his hey-day and Jonathon was battling his demons in full lock-down. He idolized his hero, J. Winters.

I was raised on Jonathan Winters since black-and-white, and raised WITH Robin Williams. Just occurred to me, we're the same age. Best film for me, ''Fisher King''.

He finally got it. I'm certain they have adjoining suites.

RIP Mr. Williams. Say 'hi' to Maude Frickert for me.

BajaBlanca - 8-13-2014 at 08:37 AM

RIP Robin, whatever your demons, they are behind you now.

BajaGringo, Thanks for sharing your story- hopefully more of us will reach out to someone(s) today and every day.

I sure wish I had had a chance to meet Cabron- he sounds like a MOST amazing human who went the extra mile.

David- I don't understand too much on the subject but suicide is not about the people you leave behind, I think. It is about being overwhelmed by demons no one else can fathom.

No one has explained faux- it means false or fake in French. Just a play on words by those who don't appreciate Fox news.

reach out amigos, reach out to the next guy or gal. Just a smile can really make a difference.

We will miss you Senor Williams.

vgabndo - 8-13-2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
I am quite familiar with suicide, and I stand by what I said because of what it did to my family. I am not advocating my feelings on anyone. Capt. Mike chose to use my first, short reaction to make a deal about it.

I don't watch Faux or Fox News typically, and not at all in several weeks. I have no idea of what Diana T has such a problem with any news or why she misspells it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

It is sad for what happened, but so is the death of the 4 Americans serving their country in Benghazi who were not helped. They didn't want to die, but Robin Williams did.

None of you are in my head, so please don't second guess my responses, as they were just my feelings. They make NO DIFFERENCE to the outcome. Post your feelings and I promise NOT TO HARASS YOU FOR HAVING THOSE FEELINGS.

What folks are trying to tell you, David, is that your feelings are repugnant to most of us, and I judge that most of us are recommending that you KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF. I couldn't possibly be happier to NOT BE IN YOUR HEAD. To have to live in your head would make ME suicidal. YOU seem to be deaf to the feedback. Those are my feelings.

chuckie - 8-13-2014 at 11:01 AM

David K is so full of himself, there is not room for anything else. I go with the 2 lbs in a one pound bag....

rts551 - 8-13-2014 at 01:13 PM

David is the alcohol (flaming f150 THREAD), drugs, or are you just plain losing it?

What ever the case may be, there are professionals that can maybe help.

motoged - 8-13-2014 at 02:01 PM

A small point, but an important one:

Folks are confusing "thoughts" with "feelings".

Our emotional reactions tend to be the products of/associations with an underlying "thought" or belief (i.e. an idea or a thought becomes a belief when we say. "Yep....that's right").

We most often experience an emotion (mad, glad, sad, etc) without connecting its underlying "cognition".

Folks seeking treatment for depression and/or anxiety are often offered a range of treatment options that most often will/should include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). This method helps a person challenge their underlying belief systems and the relationships they set up in the emotional realm....and also encourages a person to see what situations and ongoing behaviours trigger such cognitive-emotional dynamics. This cycle needs to be altered in order to better manage the cognitive distortions set up in these inter-dependent relationships between one's thinking, emotions, behaviours, and situations they find themselves in.

Mr. William's use of drugs were likely a temporary solution to his ADD mind (racing mind)....and he was seeking relief from the cognitive-emotional flooding he was experiencing his entire life. His "remedy" of substance use was a short-term fix that set up a long-term problem. So, his substance use would have been a symptom....not a primary cause of depression/anxiety

On this thread, it would seem more accurate/helpful to make the distinction between what one is saying they "think" and how they "feel". For example, one poster has stated how he "feels" about Mr. Williams's death, when he is actually presenting what he "believes/thinks"....it is his belief system that draws the reactions....not his feelings .

Folks too frequently say "I feel.....", when they should more clearly say" I think...."...

Treating depression and anxiety (both are classified as Mood Disorders....and are often closely related) is a difficult task, especially in chronic and severe cases.

I am moved by Bajagringo's sharing....and think that his "cabron",
Rodolfo Carranza, was more of an angel than likely any therapist would/could be (I say this as a therapist who is not religious....so consider the term "angel" to be a term referring to those folks who somehow come along and make a significant difference in our perception of the world around and inside us).

Just sayin'

:saint:

capt. mike - 8-13-2014 at 03:49 PM

DK - didn't mean to agitate you but since I otherwise know you as a caring soul generally, your brusque comments on Williams ending his life simply took me back. Clearly you are the board champion of eating your foot often. If you get my drift.... but - keep on posting about Baja as I believe your DO have a lot of good comment on that subject. ;^)

CaboMagic - 8-13-2014 at 09:35 PM

Oh my .. Sure, everyone is entitled to their feelings, and thoughts .. and opinions .. David what you expressed hit a raw nerve ... Many have eloquently expressed what is in my head and heart .. 2 people close to me committed suicide .. my immediate thought about my brother was that Mark was no longer go to live in the terrible pain he was in - he suffered from depression . .. I was sad then, I'm sad now. My best friend from age 5 to 15 jumped out of her 13th floor bedroom window .. my first thought was "could I have done anything to help Jayne?" I know I could not have but 40 yrs later I still wonder. I would never be mean to someone whose pain was obvious, and just because I don't see a cast, or something that 'proves' a person is hurting doesn't mean a damn thing.

I hope that this leads to more intelligent conversations and understanding and compassion.

I must sign off now and go have a really good cry.

D.K.

J.P. - 8-13-2014 at 10:20 PM

I have heard it on this board and others many times and never thought much of it. but if any expression ever fit. This fits D.K. to the best. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

bajabuddha - 8-13-2014 at 10:43 PM

My understanding of suicide is basically there are two different formats of cause: the ''F - YOU!" at getting 'back' at someone(s) by the ultimate hurtfulness, the nose-off-the-face spite hit. The other is the hopelessness of the demons we all have and carry every day, and most have them; just some cannot stand the burden any longer, both physically or mentally/emotionally.

I have had an aunt, 2 first cousins, and at least three early friends in life go 'sideways' for a varying number of reasons. Who knows how many more people are doing 'passive suicide' by over-indulging or not minding their health for a myriad of reasons.... not mine to judge. I'm still mad as hell at Belushi; man, what a loss !! His was accidental.... or was it? Passive?

I hope the loss of an Iconoclast like Robin Williams helps to grow us all in our own individual ways. "Ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances". We all have our own individual walks to take, our own individual choices to make. Personally I think Jack Kavorkian was and is a Saint. We put down sick or terminally dying pets, why not have the same PERSONAL CHOICE? Too bad Robin had to use a belt. When they first mentioned 'asphyxia' the first thing I thought of was "helium, and he went out making voices and laughing his arse off". I laughed, and cried at that.

I especially love what Soulpatch said; "It is my personal belief that our energy has just stepped out of this classroom and into another......" I'm not religious either, but I do feel spiritually motivated. What went down isn't right or wrong, it happened, and there's fabric that is made and remade from it. Hopefully we'll all glean something, if not just the memories of a very funny, talented, and deep person that touched the whole world.

Peace, out.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by bajabuddha]

redhilltown - 8-13-2014 at 11:45 PM

To label someone cowardly and selfish as to their suicide is in and of itself, a cowardly and selfish act. You have no concept of their life, their pain, their mind, their hurt, their life...you have the right to label people in your life that you knew well as cowards, but to paint that brushstroke on someone you didn't know in the slightest is unthinkable, sick, and immoral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides

David K - 8-14-2014 at 08:17 AM

Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian (a good one of course) who took his own life when he had countless loved ones and a rich life of plenty.

Because a family member of mine also committed suicide, I had some thoughts on this and I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, sharing thoughts.

Alas, I can't share my thoughts without thought police coming down on me (George Orwell-ist?). I wasn't trying to be mean at all... You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Can we agree to disagree or do you understand my first reply? I am sorry if I made you feel sadder than his suicide already did.

SFandH - 8-14-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Your point of view differs from most because most people think he did die of an illness, a severe case of depression.

wessongroup - 8-14-2014 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
The other is the hopelessness of the demons we all have and carry every day, and most have them; just some cannot stand the burden any longer, both physically or mentally/emotionally.

Dittos

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by wessongroup]

DianaT - 8-14-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian (a good one of course) who took his own life when he had countless loved ones and a rich life of plenty.

Because a family member of mine also committed suicide, I had some thoughts on this and I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, sharing thoughts.

Alas, I can't share my thoughts without thought police coming down on me (George Orwell-ist?). I wasn't trying to be mean at all... You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Can we agree to disagree or do you understand my first reply? I am sorry if I made you feel sadder than his suicide already did.

I sincerely hope that you can seek professional help so you can learn about suicide and learn to deal with the suicide that affected your life.

rts551 - 8-14-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Here David, this may help you come to terms with your loss and help dispel the myth that suicide is selfish (and other myths surrounding the tragedy of suicide).

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-survivors.html

rts551 - 8-14-2014 at 10:04 AM

A beautiful letter written by Zelda Williams...

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.
To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too…
Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."

‪#‎RIPRobinWilliams‬ ‪#‎Mornings9‬

BajaGringo - 8-14-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian...

Amigo, we ALL here only knew him as an actor and a comedian. He wasn't our HERO, but someone who at moments in our lives profoundly touched our hearts with his humor, wit and depth.

The anger and hurt you express at someone's suicide that you did not even know personally, suggests that you haven't yet dealt with how suicide in your own family affected you. Perhaps you should at least consider seeking help with that. It is not a sign of weakness or a character flaw to seek professional help in these situations. Only a human condition of one who seeks to reach a healthy balance in his/her life.

I will leave you with this beautiful letter from his daughter, Zelda Williams...

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments.

While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed.

After all, he loved to laugh too…

Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by BajaGringo]

thanks bajagringo

captkw - 8-14-2014 at 10:44 AM

thanks for shareing that !! WOW,,,I felt that letter hard..wet eyes and all !!

motoged - 8-14-2014 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

Yo tambien :(

I think the sensitivity expressed by most here is good for us all...some can embrace it....and that's a good thing.

Even in his death, Robin is helping us pay attention to our hearts and minds.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by motoged]

DianaT - 8-14-2014 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

Yo tambien :(

I think the sensitivity expressed by most here is good for us all...some can embrace it....and that's a good thing.

Even in his death, Robin is helping us pay attention to our hearts and minds.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by motoged]

And maybe he will help some to seek more help when battling their demons, and others to seek help in dealing with suicides in among their friends and family. I know I did not deal with my brother's suicide on my own.

This letter is beautiful. Peace to Robin and his family. He left a beautiful legacy behind.

DanO - 8-14-2014 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Your point of view differs from most because most people think he did die of an illness, a severe case of depression.

^^^^THIS^^^^TIMES^^^^TEN^^^^

Except that I would add "intelligent, informed and compassionate" between "most" and "people."

willardguy - 8-14-2014 at 12:11 PM

now his wife is reporting he was also struggling with the onslaught of parkinsons. he had some battles looming on the horizon for sure.......

rts551 - 8-14-2014 at 12:27 PM

[img][/img]

bajabuddha - 8-14-2014 at 12:29 PM

well said Robin.

DanO - 8-14-2014 at 12:43 PM

Some sh*tweasels have trolled Zelda Williams. I swear, it's almost impossible to have any faith in humanity anymore, when there's always an idiot ready, willing and able to pee on your tiny flicker of hope.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robin-williams-c...

rts551 - 8-14-2014 at 12:57 PM

no shortage of sick people is there

chippy - 8-14-2014 at 02:40 PM

Robin Williams humour was so far over DKs head he is just baffled by peoples love for the guy.

Howard - 8-14-2014 at 03:06 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight between some of you and DK but I think you are being a little harsh on him for expressing his opinion. You and I might not agree with him but it's his opinion and that's that. I have never met David so I am not defending him or battering him, just don't think it's fair to beat him up for something that he voiced. It also seems to me that your swinging at him for other posts that he made on different subjects. Don't like what he has to post, don't read them.

Peace out.

PS Oh yeah, finding a couple of rocks and informing me that there was once a mission there is not my thing but it's his thing to share. That doesn't make him a bad guy for trying to inform me or me a bad person for not being in to it.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by Howard]

capt. mike - 8-14-2014 at 03:24 PM

DK has shown contrition therefore I for one forgive his comments as simply opinion. I regret jumping on him but if not me any of others would have, and in fact did. I appreciate his otherwise well received Baja discussions here however. ;D

RIP Robin. Your demons are now gone.:saint:

Sweetwater - 8-14-2014 at 05:40 PM

Robin Williams has always meant more than his television shows or movies. My wife and I attended his traveling interview when he sits down to “chat” with his old friend, comedian, actor, director and author David Steinberg. It was much more than a comedy routine or act. They opened the door to their lives and shared it at a level that was so informative and fascinating as well as humorous.

During the 23 years I spent backpacking the wilderness of Wyoming, the group metamorphed over the years. One of our camp conversations would often be, who would you like to bring on an excursion to get to know. I can't tell you how many times Robin was a consensus winner. He had the capacity to engage and enthrall so many of us that his flame burned brightly, but it did not burn as long.

I've lost others to the disease of depression/suicide and I don't consider it any different than getting hit by a car. Some folks are simply susceptible and some folks are firm in their choices that it's time to leave. Since I don't understand that situation, it's hard to accept but the loss is really the issue. Critics of that reality are often just ignorant which has proven true in this thread as well.

Until we meet again, thanks for the memories Robin.

motoged - 8-14-2014 at 10:37 PM

A brief touching tribute:
http://www.wimp.com/sweettribute/

dtbushpilot - 8-14-2014 at 10:40 PM

I for one am grateful for DK's observations, how else could we get 4 pages out of a 1 page post?

wetto - 8-15-2014 at 09:15 AM

I come away from these 4 pages of posts with Baja Gringo sharing of his depression and friends attempts to help as the big winner here and way to see how to help others.
I have had my own demons and depression. I was only through friends who cared enough to help pull me out back into the public world and help me see the bigger picture that assisted me.

Thank you Baja Gringo for sharing.

vgabndo - 8-15-2014 at 10:22 AM

Lee, thanks for sharing that. It can be as "simple" as drawing on a network of friends and loved ones, and it can be an endless morass of drug combinations and c-cktails designed to correct the illness. While this experimentation is ongoing the symptoms remain and loved ones must cope with the madness. I'm not going to recount the suicides that have deeply effected me or my best friends personally. Sons, daughters, husbands, and my own father blowing his brains out, have all increased my understanding. Living for years with the death threats of a family member forces one to see that it is not cowardice, selfishness, or a personal failure of political orientation that causes people to contemplate suicide. Very often it is an unfortunate accident of brain chemistry.

If a person gets a brain tumor, DavidK, and they choose to refuse the horrors of surgery and chemotherapy in exchange for a few months more life will you ask: "What went wrong?"

I judge that it is the fear of death that keeps the priests in business. Fearing the one certainty that comes with birth, seems a poor way to live life.

I'm going to go eat shrimp tacos and enjoy this amazing culture I've been invited to share. Feeling hopeless? u2u me any time.

Bob H - 8-15-2014 at 02:12 PM

This is one of the funniest skits from Robin Williams on GOLF. His humor lives on. RIP Robin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkhgZim5Ig

DianaT - 8-15-2014 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wetto
I come away from these 4 pages of posts with Baja Gringo sharing of his depression and friends attempts to help as the big winner here and way to see how to help others.
I have had my own demons and depression. I was only through friends who cared enough to help pull me out back into the public world and help me see the bigger picture that assisted me.

Thank you Baja Gringo for sharing.

Yes, his sharing is so important.

He was so very fortunate that his cabron worked for him. Depression is such a toxic disease that for some, a 1000 cabrons cannot help.

But we all need to see the signs and reach out and try.

bajabuddha - 8-15-2014 at 09:13 PM

.... nor can a thousand pills, nor can a thousand thrills.....

motoged - 8-16-2014 at 09:50 AM

More thoughts on depression:

http://www.wimp.com/messagedepressed/

DianaT - 8-16-2014 at 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks --

rts551 - 8-20-2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:

good message ged.

and then there's the scammers!

willardguy - 8-20-2014 at 10:00 AM

On the heels of most tragedies are scams designed to take advantage of our curiosity.
Why did Robin Williams really take his own life? Read the note.

See the video that Robin Williams left, and it will answer your questions.

Watch Robin Williams' goodbye video.

Exclusive video: Robin Williams says goodbye with his cell phone before hanging himself with a belt and cutting himself with a pocket knife. He can still make everyone laugh with this video, but it will make everyone cry a river at the end.

You Could Become a Victim

Tempted? Don't be. You can see the warning about it on Snopes.com. Low-life scammers have created "click-bait." The most common way to bait people to click is by using social media sites like Facebook (FB), where it is easy to create the illusion that someone saw something intriguing. That prompts one person after another to take the bait.

The Better Business Bureau and others are warning consumers to avoid the temptation. If something new came out about Robin Williams -- or any celebrity for that matter -- it would make it to the mainstream media or one of the many celebrity-oriented gossip sites. You're not going to get a sneak peek at something like this because someone shared it on Facebook.

And, it's so easy to hijack a legitimate account or parrot one that just seeing a friend giving a "like" on Facebook to such a video or link that you simply can't trust it.

Scammers are looking to get you to download malicious software that could give away your personal and financial information or cripple your computer. Or trying to build support for a site or Facebook page under false pretenses. Or trying to get you to take surveys. Or sell you overpriced items.

Regardless, don't go there.