BajaNomad

THE PERSEIDES!!

bajabuddha - 8-13-2014 at 03:06 AM

Tonight was the apex of the Perseids meteor shower. I hope all early-risers get this epistle and get out to watch before the sun rises. The almost-full moon hampered things a bit, but some lucky airheads will get their stars shining brightly tonight... and for the next few days as well. Back In The Day, used to schedule vacation camping trips/ river runs around this event to lay on the sand and OOH! and AAH! for hours on end.

Here in T or C, pretty cloudy all evening. Been out 3 times, and clouds and high moon gives nada for sparky-stars. However, I think I did get 4 or 5 shots of 'HERMAN', our pet blackie tarantula who's burrow is in our driveway gravel; he (she?) comes out of her web-doored hole about full dark and perches at the opening for a while before roaming for food. She visits our back porch in the wee morning hours, returning to her hole before dawn.

I've fed her a few crickets and a moth; the last two nights when I go to 'say howdy' she's at her house-door, and raised up like she's expecting a Red Cross airdrop. Three nights ago we had a good monsoonal rain, and a very large millipede, about 5" on the porch.... I quickly grabbed the BBQ tongs from dinner (yes, we were DONE cooking) and carried the big beast over to Herman (Hermeini?)'s hole........ oooooh boy...........

At first, when dropped the millipede scurried around a little and H. was non-plussed. So, I P-nched him up by the hind end ( I think) and held the other end to the hole itself; the head (I hope) recognized, "OOH... an escape!" and started trying to scramble free towards the abyss. Then, VOOF !!! And I do mean, VOOF !! That big millipede disappeared out of my tongs mui rapido.

Now, I was holding fairly tight expecting a little 'fishing' expedition. Big difference between yellers, triggers, and these fresh-water fish up north, so I wanted a little 'action', ya know? Holy Hanna, VOOF !! AND THAT SUCKER WAS -A-GONE !!!! Yanked down that hole like hell's fury a-loose!!

I'm sure Herman ate real well that nite. Tonight we shared a 1.2 lb. ribeye, and I thought of ol' Herman dining fine.... wonder if spiders drink Merlot....

Took some pics tonight, maybe a few more and i'll paste 'em up for your viewing enjoyment (no applause, please.....)

Anyway, watch for shooting stars for the next couple nights; check where Perseus is in the heavens, look that-a-way if the moon isn't there, ENJOY.

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by bajabuddha]

BajaBlanca - 8-13-2014 at 08:41 AM

pics pics pics!

bacquito - 8-13-2014 at 11:24 AM

Enjoyed reading about HERMAN, shooting stars and the fact that you are enjoying things--FEED HERMAN!

Paulina - 8-13-2014 at 11:36 AM

I really enjoyed reading this post, it made my heart very happy. Thank you.

P>*)))>{

bajacalifornian - 8-13-2014 at 12:01 PM

A breath of fresh air, your post.