BajaNomad

Remember pickled eggs?

Pages:  1  

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 08:22 AM

Years ago I used to buy pickled eggs from convenience stores from big unrefrigerated glass jars.

I recently had a taste for some and made a batch from a online recipe. They were great and I just made a second batch.

Anyone remember them? I wonder why they disappeared but I suspect some type of government prohibition or was it due to no demand. Never seen them in Baja and my MX taste testers don't like them.

vandenberg - 8-14-2014 at 08:41 AM

Sold tons of them in my bar/disco in Sacramento.

Had a sign up that said:

Pickled eggs 25 cents each or 3 for a dollar
:saint::saint:

You'd be surprised at how many dollar purchases were made.
:lol::light::biggrin:

elizabeth - 8-14-2014 at 08:47 AM

I had forgotten about them...but when I was young and worked in a bar they were sold out of those big glass jars...I went on to make them myself, but also pickeled beets and onions in the same jar...made for beautiful fushcia colored eggs!

vgabndo - 8-14-2014 at 08:54 AM

Yep, a good way to use the liquid in an empty pickle bottle. Load it up with boiled eggs. Now that salt and cholesterol aren't staples of my diet anymore.....

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 08:56 AM

I would be a better man if I knew what fushcia is. I can only say they're kinka red. :no: But yes, the recipes I found did include beets and many onions which I love.

I had in mind they cost about a quarter years ago but didn't remember exactly. I guess today it would be 50 cents. I miss them. Ahhh, the good ol days.

Bajajorge - 8-14-2014 at 09:05 AM

Probably Health Dept rules that don't allow jars of unrefrigerated foods sitting on the bar.

SFandH - 8-14-2014 at 09:06 AM

Used to buy them here.

willardguy - 8-14-2014 at 09:12 AM

I called em shark eggs at my sports bar, had a great recipe that let you know you ate some fire the day before!:o loved the pickled quail eggs at the bar at the old Los Arcos in la paz!

Cypress - 8-14-2014 at 09:22 AM

Ate a ton of 'em, even had a contest to see who could eat the most. Not sure who won.:D

Barbareno - 8-14-2014 at 09:27 AM

For 1 dozen eggs

Put in a large glass jar:

1 Tbsp pickling spice
1 clove garlic
2 Bay leaves
1 red peppercorn
1 large onion sliced

Put boiled eggs in glass jar and squeeze juice of one lemon over it.

Brine:

1 Tbsp pickling salt
3 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
Do not cook this, dissolve well with wooden spoon. Pour over eggs. Leave at room temperature over night and the store in cool place.

wessongroup - 8-14-2014 at 09:30 AM

http://www.joejosts.com

Bob53 - 8-14-2014 at 09:53 AM

I'm getting gas just thinking about them.

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

Well, when you leave the Pemex, go home and make a batch. :fire:

willardguy - 8-14-2014 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Ate a ton of 'em, even had a contest to see who could eat the most. Not sure who won.:D

you knew this was coming! :lol:

CP - 8-14-2014 at 10:08 AM

The leftover juice from a can of pickled jalapeños works great, too.

desertcpl - 8-14-2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

I used to live just around the corner,, been there many times

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 10:22 AM

Two former bar owners here??? Willardguy and Vandenberg. Is it that guys who would want to own a bar would also like to go to Baja???

wessongroup - 8-14-2014 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

I used to live just around the corner,, been there many times

Now THAT would have been dangerous ...

Loved shooting pool and having a few .. along with the basket, with a couple of those sandwiches on top of pretzels and a couple egg's ...

Snooker too

been a very long time ... good memories

never took anyone there .. that didn't like it :):)

Used to be a really good Mexican restaurant ... just up Anaheim on Cherry ...

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by wessongroup]

bajajudy - 8-14-2014 at 10:36 AM

The bars in SC used to put boiled eggs in the finished pickled pig feet jars.
Complete chicken dinner with sabor de cerdo.....
Went great with a cold PBR

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
The bars in SC used to put boiled eggs in the finished pickled pig feet jars.
Complete chicken dinner with sabor de cerdo.....
Went great with a cold PBR

Agreed. But my thing is a cold PBR with a straw. But I'm a sofistakit.

DianaT - 8-14-2014 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Had a sign up that said:

:lol::lol::lol:

bajabuddha - 8-14-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

Not only are they great going in, but make the most impressive pedos in the world; even better than sauerkraut !:o :no:

dasubergeek - 8-14-2014 at 10:48 AM

They're commonly available. Provisions in the city of Orange sells them, as do many other places. You can store them on the counter as long as the eggs are completely submerged in the brine, which is easy to do with a plate.

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Had a sign up that said:

Would you tell the person? Or just smile? I would Bet on your answer.

willardguy - 8-14-2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Two former bar owners here??? Willardguy and Vandenberg. Is it that guys who would want to own a bar would also like to go to Baja???

you know how to make a small fortune in the bar business?

start with a large one!

bajalearner - 8-14-2014 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
They're commonly available. Provisions in the city of Orange sells them, as do many other places. You can store them on the counter as long as the eggs are completely submerged in the brine, which is easy to do with a plate.

Explain the brine. I put the eggs in the vinegar and spice solution. Where does the brine come in?

bajabuddha - 8-14-2014 at 10:55 AM

I heard they were made illegal by PETA due to too many accidental suffocations of small lap-dogs.... ( J / K ) :no: :lol:

BajaBlanca - 8-14-2014 at 11:19 AM

Les always has pickled eggs he makes himself in the fridge. If you ever want one, just ask!

elgatoloco - 8-14-2014 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Used to buy them here.

http://www.surfersjournal.com/the-same-stretch-of-sand-black...

vandenberg - 8-14-2014 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

you know how to make a small fortune in the bar business?

start with a large one!

:light::lol::lol::P

mulegejim - 8-14-2014 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
I had forgotten about them...but when I was young and worked in a bar they were sold out of those big glass jars...I went on to make them myself, but also pickeled beets and onions in the same jar...made for beautiful fushcia colored eggs!

That's the way I do mine with a bit of white vinegar to cover. Bring them into the Jungle in Mulege when I'm there. Go over very well....maybe because they are free.

mulegejim - 8-14-2014 at 01:53 PM

Here is the way I do them:

Up to two dozen hard cooked eggs (instructions to follow) – depends on size of container and how many you want.

Beets – one can (15 oz) sliced
Onion – sliced
Garlic – minced
Chilies (yellow hot chilies) and some of their juice
Vinegar (distilled white 5% acidity) Do not use apple cider or flavored vinegar

Place about half of the hard cooked eggs in your container
Layer some of the beets and their juice, onions, garlic and chilies on top
Put in the rest of the eggs and add the remaining ingredients except the vinegar.
Add enough vinegar to completely cover.
Place in refrigerator for three days or so – give an egg a test on the third day and enjoy.

Hard Cooked Eggs

Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Heat until the water just boils. Turn off the heat, leave the pot on the burner and cover with a lid. Wait twelve minutes pour out the hot water and cover with an ice and water mixture. Wait a few minutes and crack the shells and peel the eggs.

Note: cooking the eggs using this method should eliminate any dark ring around the yolk.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by mulegejim]

Cypress - 8-14-2014 at 02:07 PM

Wish I hadn't read this topic. Gonna have to pickle a few eggs.

bajabuddha - 8-14-2014 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim Bring them into the Jungle in Mulege when I'm there. Go over very well....maybe because they are free.

I'm sure they do go over big there with everyone except Lupe in the kitchen. I'm sure she wouldn't say a word to you, she's grateful for every dime they make off the cheap beer and drinks, and besides, it might make the customers a little more thirsty.....
;)

desertcpl - 8-14-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
The leftover juice from a can of pickled jalapeños works great, too.

that's what we do,, works just great

dasubergeek - 8-14-2014 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek

Explain the brine. I put the eggs in the vinegar and spice solution. Where does the brine come in?

That's the brine. Brine is the salt water solution (and whatever flavorings or sugar might happen to go with it). The health Gest-po rules here say you can't store them unrefrigerated unless they're completely submerged in the acidic solution.

Tbone - 8-14-2014 at 03:05 PM

I second Joe Josts in Long Beach for great pickled eggs.

capt. mike - 8-14-2014 at 03:30 PM

Been makin' em for years. Always use leftover juice from Mezzata's hot peppers for the base liquid. Eggs rest in the vinegar base for 4 weeks in fridge then are eaten. YUM!! Wife hates them so they are all mine!!!

SFandH - 8-14-2014 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

http://www.surfersjournal.com/the-same-stretch-of-sand-black...

Thanks for the link. Great video. FUN surfing. I lived there in the early 70s for a few years after college.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by SFandH]

freediverbrian - 8-14-2014 at 05:41 PM

I third Joe josts in long beach . An egg, a special ,and a cold pbr

alacran - 8-14-2014 at 09:55 PM

Well there are good memories from all, but no one has the right receipt, for the eggs, I lived in Long Beach, Ca. for over 40 years, never more than 20 blocks from JJ, next to Fishermans Hardware.
I make them about 2 times a year now in Mulege BC.
Keep trying, but it will not be the same.

about that recipe....

neilm81301 - 8-15-2014 at 12:28 AM

It seems that there's enough acid in the vinegar/pepper juice/etc to dissolve the shells....especially if left for weeks

do you have to peel the damn things first?

I love pickles & fermented veggies...

Falls comin'.. time for pork roast & kraut in the crockpot!

Neil

torch - 8-15-2014 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
It seems that there's enough acid in the vinegar/pepper juice/etc to dissolve the shells....especially if left for weeks

do you have to peel the damn things first?

I love pickles & fermented veggies...

Falls comin'.. time for pork roast & kraut in the crockpot!

Neil

yes you peel them .in fact joe jost has worn through the porcelain on the sink where they crack and roll them .:o

durrelllrobert - 8-15-2014 at 08:08 AM

Los Gordos bar and Restaurant at La Bufadora has a pickled rattle snake in a large jar of tequila. You can't eat the snake but the tequila is not bad. :lol:

bajabuddha - 8-15-2014 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Los Gordos bar and Restaurant at La Bufadora has a pickled rattle snake in a large jar of tequila. You can't eat the snake but the tequila is not bad. :lol:

I hear it's got a little bite to it. :wow:

capt. mike - 8-15-2014 at 10:14 AM

My traveling friend now living in Thailand full time expat gave me a bottle of their "snake wine" which has a whole snake fermented [I guess] in the bottle. It is a bar decoration so I never opened it. Looks wicked though!

alacran - 8-15-2014 at 10:17 PM

JJ, does not have PBR anymore for a few years. Sad.

bajabuddha - 8-16-2014 at 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacran

You know what they say;

When you're out of PBR,

Tough Schlitz... :spingrin:

vandenberg - 8-16-2014 at 06:51 AM

Quote:

Funny how tastes in beer change over the years. I too started out with Pabst on tap in the 60's. Then, after a few years Oly became popular. In the 90's Bud , mainly through their mammoth ad campaign, took the lead, with Coors always a strong second. Most other brands just didn't move.

Still had my 3 for a dollar egg special.:biggrin::biggrin:

bajajudy - 8-16-2014 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:

You know what they say;

When you're out of PBR,

I always liked the slogan
When you're out of Schiltz, you're out of beer!

Of course you are out of beer...Schiltz is the last beer anyone would drink.:P

durrelllrobert - 8-16-2014 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:
Quote:

You know what they say;

When you're out of PBR,

I always liked the slogan
When you're out of Schiltz, you're out of beer!

Of course you are out of beer...Schiltz is the last beer anyone would drink.:P
Do they still make Lucky Lager and Hamms? Yuk

bajabuddha - 8-16-2014 at 08:12 AM

The Lucky Lager / Fisher brewery (in Salt Lake City of all places!) closed down long ago. Lucky Bock was a good beer around Easter time. Hamms I dunno; that and Schlitz were the only 2 beers sent out to us in the boonies on re-supply; no wonder there was a lot of pot smoking; going on!

Could be worse... could have warm Milwaukee's Best ....

I'd give my left ___ for a case of Heilemann's Special Export!

Santiago - 8-16-2014 at 08:25 AM

I think pickled eggs are major gas producers, no??

freediverbrian - 8-16-2014 at 08:53 AM

Pbr was kicked out of Joe josts when the owner found out that other bars were getting a better deal on the kegs, but did not sell any where near the amount that jj sold.

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 09:28 AM

Remember Hams (or Hamms)? Was that "the beer that made Milwaukie famous?"

Bajajorge - 8-16-2014 at 09:32 AM

Quote:

Back in the 60s Hamms was a favorite around Washington DC when I was there with the USMC.

willardguy - 8-16-2014 at 09:47 AM

Quote:

nope. Hamms was from the land of sky blue waters. Shlitz was the beer that made millwaukee famous!

bajajudy - 8-16-2014 at 09:56 AM

The beer that made Milwaukee famous, made a loser out of me"...jerry lee lewis

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 10:03 AM

I am having a bachelors breakfast right now. Fried turkey bologna, Reser's potato salad, a pickled egg and a cup of Nescafe.

I like it...don't be haten.:saint::tumble::bounce:

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by bajalearner]

capt. mike - 8-16-2014 at 10:04 AM

Growing up in KS 60s - parents drank Grain Belt beer. And a bargain brew was called Metz. We schemed under age to get Colt 45 Malt and get sick-bombed.

KS had 18 age legal bars that sold only 3.2 beer. a friend used to sit at the end of one, on the bar, where there was a small elec fan to help cool in hot summers. He'd bite into a ripe pickled egg and hold 1/2 up to the fan - the smell would carry down the bar and patrons would yell at him. Very funny back then. Definitely made one gassy.

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Growing up in KS 60s - parents drank Grain Belt beer. And a bargain brew was called Metz. We schemed under age to get Colt 45 Malt and get sick-bombed.

KS had 18 age legal bars that sold only 3.2 beer. a friend used to sit at the end of one, on the bar, where there was a small elec fan to help cool in hot summers. He'd bite into a ripe pickled egg and hold 1/2 up to the fan - the smell would carry down the bar and patrons would yell at him. Very funny back then. Definitely made one gassy.

I went to high school in Casper WY where they also let teens drink but I think it was 19 years old. 3.2 also. One night we got stopped in my car, been drinking, 4 or 5 teens in the car and the cop told us to pour out the beer and drive straight home. I must have complied because I am alive today but I seem to remember taking a few hours to drive home. Good thing the cop didn't see us later. Stupidity. :no:

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by bajalearner]

durrelllrobert - 8-16-2014 at 10:36 AM

Quote:

Nope.
The slogan for Hamm's beer was "From the Land of Sky Blue Waters."

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

nope. Hamms was from the land of sky blue waters. Shlitz was the beer that made millwaukee famous!

Oh yeah, with the indian pounding the drum to the words of Land of sky blue waters...

wessongroup - 8-16-2014 at 03:16 PM

Snap ... boy, been a while since I'd thought of that commercial ... thanks brings back some different times ... :):)

Grew up on that one .... laying on the floor looking at a Hoffman Television, when allowed (it was a privilege, in our house)

Must have been the Gillette’s Friday Night Fights as I recall the Gillette's commercial being associated too :lol::lol:

http://boxing-ring.blogspot.com/2010/03/gillettes-friday-nig...

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by wessongroup]

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 04:42 PM

Wow, I barely bring back the memory of that commercial. Must be from about 1960 I'm guessing. It's so fantastic to live in the age of instant research tools. Thanks wessongroup.

Falstaff, Hamms, Olympia... I think there are reasons some beers fall by the wayside. Namely, taste.

bajajudy - 8-16-2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Must have been the Gillette’s Friday Night Fights as I recall the Gillette's commercial being associated too :lol::lol:

To look sharp and to feel sharp too
Buy the razor that was made for you

I also watched boxing with my father!

bajalearner - 8-16-2014 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

My dad like the "fights" too. But back then there were only a few channels over the roof antenna in San Francisco so there weren't many choices.

msteve1014 - 8-16-2014 at 05:43 PM

Fights were better on the radio. Every fight sounded great, baseball too.

Mexitron - 8-17-2014 at 06:12 AM

Pickled eggs with the juice from a can of jalapenos sounds like the ticket...not so fond of the sugary beet base.
My favorite old American beer on tap is/was Rainier but you have to pretty far north to find it anymore.

Santiago - 8-17-2014 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Pickled eggs with the juice from a can of jalapenos sounds like the ticket...not so fond of the sugary beet base.
My favorite old American beer on tap is/was Rainier but you have to pretty far north to find it anymore.

Must still be around as that is all Walt Longmire will drink.

Mexitron - 8-17-2014 at 07:00 AM

Saw Rainier in cans at Food for Less in Bend, OR a few years ago but last time on tap was in Missoula, MT, most places had it. Favorite spot was Luke's Bar and Grill....brains and eggs with a few mugs of Rainier---breakfast of champions! :lol:

durrelllrobert - 8-17-2014 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Wow, I barely bring back the memory of that commercial. Must be from about 1960 I'm guessing. It's so fantastic to live in the age of instant research tools. Thanks wessongroup.

Falstaff, Hamms, Olympia... I think there are reasons some beers fall by the wayside. Namely, taste.

Did your Hoffman have a yellow tinted screen?

Just thought of anoter favorite from the fifties

durrelllrobert - 8-17-2014 at 09:48 AM

Reigold beer from New York.
Bob hope was one of their spokesmen and they had an annual Miss Reingold contest. This was their jingle:
"My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat --
Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?"

J.P. - 8-18-2014 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Did your Hoffman have a yellow tinted screen?

The Hoffman with the tinted screen was caller Hoffman Easy Vision. We had one of the first 21in.Easy Visions in the Neighborhood.

SFandH - 8-18-2014 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
brains and eggs with a few mugs of Rainier---breakfast of champions! :lol:

Pickled brains?

or do you mean the drunk you were chatting with at the bar? :D

Tbone - 8-18-2014 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
The Lucky Lager / Fisher brewery (in Salt Lake City of all places!) closed down long ago. Lucky Bock was a good beer around Easter time. Hamms I dunno; that and Schlitz were the only 2 beers sent out to us in the boonies on re-supply; no wonder there was a lot of pot smoking; going on!

Could be worse... could have warm Milwaukee's Best ....

Back in the 70s I would buy Lucky Lager for $2.00 per 12 pack. The inside of the caps had a puzzel.

bajalearner - 8-18-2014 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Back in the 70s I would buy Lucky Lager for $2.00 per 12 pack. The inside of the caps had a puzzel.

Heilemann's Special Export...??? Sounds like a German call girl but I'm guessing it's beer.

My memory of weekends buying beer was about $3 something for a 24 case. We (the carload of guys) chose the brand by the cheapest cost. I do remember buying Mickey's big mouth when we had an extra fiddy cent.

Mexitron - 8-18-2014 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Pickled brains?

LOL....naw, fresh cow brains thrown on the griddle with scrambled eggs....my Montana friend's recommendation.

Made a batch of pickled eggs yesterday---couldn't get them off my mind after reading this thread---eggs, a 16 oz can of Jalapenos con Escabeche, onions, spices, enough white vineger to finish covering everything. Oh, and about a dozen Thai chiles from the garden---these are gonna be some zippy pickled eggs!

bajalearner - 8-18-2014 at 08:34 AM

My pickled eggs are good but lacking something. I will add the can of jalapenos and juice.

And I'm going to add another dozen eggs in the jar. They seem to disappear???

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajalearner]

micah202 - 8-18-2014 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pickled brains?

LOL....naw, fresh cow brains thrown on the griddle with scrambled eggs....my Montana friend's recommendation.

Made a batch of pickled eggs yesterday---couldn't get them off my mind after reading this thread---eggs, a 16 oz can of Jalapenos con Escabeche, onions, spices, enough white vineger to finish covering everything. Oh, and about a dozen Thai chiles from the garden---these are gonna be some zippy pickled eggs!

....glad t'hear--I'm such a do-it-yourselfer I had to remember that ...''I'd rather have a bottle in front of me,,than a frontal lobotomy'':(:no::wow:

durrelllrobert - 8-18-2014 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My dad like the "fights" too. But back then there were only a few channels over the roof antenna in San Francisco so there weren't many choices.
..except wrestling (remember Gorgeous George?) and Roller Derby.

wessongroup - 8-18-2014 at 03:39 PM

Thanks to all ... good stuff ..

even Kimchi Pickled Eggs :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by wessongroup]

bajalearner - 8-18-2014 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

..except wrestling (remember Gorgeous George?) and Roller Derby.

I remember Haystack Caloun. A big man in overalls. Black and white tv.

bajajudy - 8-18-2014 at 04:17 PM

I used to see Gorgeous George riding around town in his Caddy convertible.

dasubergeek - 8-19-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

I drank Grain Belt beer in the 90s too. "Primos" were 50 cents a bottle... I could afford to drink it.

Mexitron - 8-19-2014 at 02:24 PM

2nd day, tasting good already, probably add a tbsp or two of sugar next time to round it out:

mtnpop - 8-19-2014 at 02:25 PM

I worked at Coors for many years where I came across a sauce with a beer base.... makes really good pickled eggs... Problem is getting refir space allotment from the bride for the end product.. can't figure why..???

bajalearner - 8-19-2014 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
2nd day, tasting good already, probably add a tbsp or two of sugar next time to round it out:

I bet those are tasty...and it reminds me, I need to clean out the bilge. :lol::D:

bajalearner - 8-19-2014 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
I worked at Coors for many years where I came across a sauce with a beer base.... makes really good pickled eggs... Problem is getting refir space allotment from the bride for the end product.. can't figure why..???

Beer base for pickled eggs? What's that like??

wessongroup - 8-19-2014 at 05:09 PM

Thanks ... was just going to look for pictures ... :lol::lol: SNAP !!!

Nice mixture ya got going on ... Boy this is driving me crazy ... :lol::lol:

But, don't stop ...

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by wessongroup]

mulegejim - 8-20-2014 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim Bring them into the Jungle in Mulege when I'm there. Go over very well....maybe because they are free.

I'm sure they do go over big there with everyone except Lupe in the kitchen. I'm sure she wouldn't say a word to you, she's grateful for every dime they make off the cheap beer and drinks, and besides, it might make the customers a little more thirsty.....
;)

Actually I always ask Lupe first and by the way she loves to eat them also. I always make an extra batch just for her before I leave Mulege.

desertcpl - 8-20-2014 at 12:34 PM

Joe Jost's recipe

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2009/10/eating_lbc_...

Mexitron - 8-20-2014 at 02:02 PM

Thanks desertcpl, looks like they use the chiles norteno style to pickle with---gotta try Joe's recipe next.

willardguy - 8-20-2014 at 02:28 PM

the pickled eggs I used to serve up in my bar I got the recipe out of western outdoor news. I can't find the exact recipe but the key was a jar of those little yellow peppers and a bottle of TEQUILA (along with the pickling spices etc. ) the tequila really set em aside! :yes:

Mexitron - 8-20-2014 at 02:48 PM

And of course the real tragedy is I lived in Long Beach last year and didn't know about Joe Josts reputation (southern Orange County boy mainly). We were only a few blocks away. Best part---northeast wind the whole neighborhood smelled like Asian cooking from the Little Cambodia area...yum! Downside---northwest wind and the oil refineries:lol:

desertcpl - 8-21-2014 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
And of course the real tragedy is I lived in Long Beach last year and didn't know about Joe Josts reputation (southern Orange County boy mainly). We were only a few blocks away. Best part---northeast wind the whole neighborhood smelled like Asian cooking from the Little Cambodia area...yum! Downside---northwest wind and the oil refineries:lol:

I missed all of this,, I was born and raised in Long Beach
but moved away in 72

bajalearner - 8-21-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Joe Jost's recipe

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2009/10/eating_lbc_...

Thanks so much for the recipe link...

The article says Joe's original barber license from 1924 still hangs on the wall. Jeeeez, the government was taking the little guy's money way back then...

desertcpl - 8-25-2014 at 11:07 AM

guess this is a bump

we are going to make pickled eggs Joe Josts recipe

the recipe says don't ref, at least 2 days before putting in into

the ref,,, but I wonder how long they need to be pickled before they are really good
going into Joe Josts,, they were just sitting on the counter in a really big glass jar

desertcpl - 9-1-2014 at 04:47 PM

we did the Joe Jost's pickled eggs,, got them out today

with Tuna also,, ( not pickled )

are they good

pickel eggs.JPG - 41kB

wessongroup - 9-1-2014 at 05:26 PM

Thanks ... :):)
 Pages:  1