BajaNomad

Snuck off to Bahia Asuncion

BajaBlanca - 8-20-2014 at 01:59 PM

Last Saturday two of our B&B guests were interested in visiting Bahia Asuncion, their very first visit. We made plans to meet up with Shari and whoever else might be free that day (it was the fiesta weekend).

Tacos at Don Ramon did not disappoint! After our meal, we were ALL asmiling:

I should have taken pics of Shari's place - it seems to get more and more beautiful with time...the famous rock wall, the spectacular ocean views....just amazing.

We also visited Jean and Ed, who have another tiny boutique hotel with 2 apt. style rooms. I did not take pics of those either BUT - Jean has some incredible things for sale in her gallery. Most everything is made by Baja artists, although a small portion of the space is for mainland art/Guatelmala.

from Bahia Tortuga:

Guatemala:

Her own creations:

and I think this is from someone in Asuncion:

Bahia Tortuga -abalone art and Shari had a beautiful piece from Tortuga as well - wall art made out of stone and sand (not pictured):

not sure of origin:

CHECK OUT THESE DOG COLLARS!

Jean went to Mulege and learned how to weave. Her pieces are incredible and I could not believe my eyes. She told me one could find looms for $100 in the States but so far I can only see ones for $700 dollars. Ouch. If I can find three, my goal is to learn from Jean (she says I can learn in 3 days 8 hours a day), I want to take two to the ranchos we visited (LAS TUNAS etc.) and teach the women there how to weave. That was they will have an extra source of income!

ONE OF THE LOOMS HER TRAINEE IS USING:

THE TOWELS - BLANKETS JEAN IS MAKING:

JEAN'S LOOM:

To end the very beautiful day, we stopped by Campo Rene where our guests, Jimmy and Jerry, had never been either:

THE VIEW:

THE NEW CABANAS FROM THE OUTSIDE: $600 PESOS/NITE

THE OLDER CABANAS - $500 PESOS A NIGHT

AND THAT IS THE END OF OUR BEAUTIFUL DAY RIGHT IN THE BACKYARD OF OUR PART OF BAJA! TIL THE NEXT TRIP, amigos.

dtbushpilot - 8-20-2014 at 02:06 PM

I checked out the new cabanas at Campo Rene when they were being built. They are pretty nice, I wouldn't even consider staying in one of the old ones if a new one is available...

Whale-ista - 8-20-2014 at 02:07 PM

The handicrafts are beautiful.

I'm fascinated by the fabrics they are making. What kind of fibers are they weaving in the loom? Do they find them locally or are they imported?

Do you want me to keep an eye out for looms in San Diego? Maybe craigslist?

Here's one from Lake Elsinore area $325. maybe you can purchase one and have a craftsman in Baja design others locally? Put some of that Baja ingenuity to good use.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/4604955881.html

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

BajaBlanca - 8-20-2014 at 02:14 PM

yes to keeping an eye out ! Yesterday I checked Craig list. Amazon.

Jean imports her fabrics. Her work is exquisite. I would imagine they could be sourced in La Paz but perhaps more expensive?

BRILLIANT idea to have someone design one locally.....

------------------------------------------------------

somewhere I have pics of the inside of the new cabanas from another visit. I shall have to hunt for them. I am sure that all the old cabanas will be substituted by the new ones slowly but surely.

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by BajaBlanca]

shari - 8-21-2014 at 07:56 AM

It was nice to see you Blanca, Les and guests. What a wonderful idea to learn and introduce the ranch ladies to weaving!!! it is nice to see some local artisania improving lately and in local galleries.

Abraham Verdugo and his family from Bahia Tortugas are doing amazing jewellery and sand paintings...these are crappy photos and still have the plastic over them but you get the idea.

BajaBlanca - 8-21-2014 at 10:03 AM

love the art! just exquisite.

mulegemichael - 8-21-2014 at 03:59 PM

ouch....blanca; i just gave a huge wonderful loom away a couple years ago as it was taking up room in our house....i'll see what i can do to find another one or two and bring them down this fall....they are bulky!

BajaRun - 8-21-2014 at 04:48 PM

Do you have any pics of the inside of the cabanas ?

BajaBlanca - 8-21-2014 at 05:53 PM

oh Michael, what a shame.....if you can find one, it can go to my moms house in san diego and we will bring it down!

BR - somewhere. I will look for them. The inside is BEAUTIFUL.

[Edited on 8-22-2014 by BajaBlanca]

BajaBoomerBabe - 8-21-2014 at 07:49 PM

Such beautiful art and crafts. I will try and stop in there on my way down. I took weaving in San Miguel de Allende many, many years ago. Fabrics from Chiapas and Guatemala are so vibrantly colourful.