BajaNomad

El Encuentro Guadalupe

Whale-ista - 8-20-2014 at 03:19 PM

Had a few heavy appetizers and wine tasting there Monday (but didn't look at the rooms.) The food was tasty and the wine was good, tho our waiter was not at all trained in the wine being served- perhaps the main staff was recovering from the busy weekend.

We had appetizers of smoked fish (yellowtail) and a "huarache": flatbread with light coating of black beans, green tomato salsa and grilled octopus.

The main building has a large bar area and has incorporated large boulders as part of the interior design. It is quite spacious and beautiful. It was a gorgeous day so we ate outside to enjoy the view. It was quite windy but they have many areas of tables so we found one out of the wind.

The slope behind the main building is rather steep-that's where the rooms are located. So if you do want to go and stay there be prepared for some hiking. I didn't see a way to drive up to the rooms, but I may have missed a driveway.

Bob H - 8-20-2014 at 04:12 PM

Good report. Thanks !

dasubergeek - 8-20-2014 at 05:04 PM

You don't hike up there. You park and check in at the winery and they drive you up, either in a Baja bug or in a Land Rover. When you want to come back, there are walkie-talkies in each room and you call down to the reception to come get you (and your luggage).

The view is stunning and there's nothing like relaxing with a bottle of wine and some cheese with the chimenea going on your own private patio, but the room inside is totally boring. Huge bed, nicely made up, and a table. Whee.

Depends.......

bajaguy - 8-20-2014 at 05:20 PM

Guess it depends on who you are sharing the room with!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
"........but the room inside is totally boring. Huge bed, nicely made up, and a table. Whee.......

tripledigitken - 8-20-2014 at 05:32 PM

I'll have a report in Oct. We have two nights booked. Every time we drive by them my bride says how nice it would be to stay there. The last time, in March, we stopped and made reservations.

Whale-ista - 8-20-2014 at 06:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
You don't hike up there. You park and check in at the winery and they drive you up, either in a Baja bug or in a Land Rover. When you want to come back, there are walkie-talkies in each room and you call down to the reception to come get you (and your luggage).

The view is stunning and there's nothing like relaxing with a bottle of wine and some cheese with the chimenea going on your own private patio, but the room inside is totally boring. Huge bed, nicely made up, and a table. Whee.

shari - 8-20-2014 at 08:01 PM

It was Sirenitas last weekend as a waitress there...guess you didnt see her! The food is delicioso...the mango ceviche is fantastic....as well as the view. I understand the cabins are $500 a night and I dont mean pesos...a wee bit out of my budget!:o

dasubergeek - 8-20-2014 at 09:18 PM

Yikes! They've gone up then. I paid $198 dlls.

Whale-ista - 8-20-2014 at 10:15 PM

Maybe $500 during the wine festival this month?

(I was there on Monday so missed the weekend staff.)