BajaNomad

proof of ownership

willardguy - 8-21-2014 at 04:30 PM

hey do you folks that have dirtbikes or utv's that stay in mexico carry some kind of proof of ownership when you ride?

vgabndo - 8-21-2014 at 04:34 PM

Yeah, I keep a copy of my paperwork in the tool box on my quad.

willardguy - 8-21-2014 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Yeah, I keep a copy of my paperwork in the tool box on my quad.
what, like a bill of sale?

sd - 8-21-2014 at 04:42 PM

I keep a copy of registration (DMV California) under the seat of my quad. While traveling with it in the truck bed I was asked at Tecate border going south, again at a check point checking registrations, and pulled over by Feds to check as my truck was new with no plates, and they wanted truck and quad registration.
Never been asked while riding it, but I keep a copy in case.

dtbushpilot - 8-21-2014 at 04:43 PM

Not when I'm riding around the neighborhood but when I go on off road trips I carry a copy of the registration or title.

TMW - 8-22-2014 at 08:45 AM

Several years ago we rode our bikes from San Felipe to Mikes Sky Ranch and back. Coming out to the hwy there was a checkpoint and they asked for our bike papers which we had and off we went, no problem.

MMc - 8-22-2014 at 08:50 AM

My buddies keep copies of the registration in a pvc tube on there bikes or quads, originals stay at home. Some are fixed to the toy and some ride with the tool kit. My favorite is the registration that is in a cigar tube.

motoged - 8-22-2014 at 04:03 PM

When my 690 was stolen in San Felipe last winter (returned after reward paid), the legal office who accepted the police report pointed out that they considered "registration" as being a different document in Mexico than the "proof of ownership".....but it was accepted for the purpose of registering the theft report.

I am bringing two bike down this winter and will bring proof of ownership for both bikes, and the registration papers for the 690....as the 450 is not plated/registered.

In real life, either type of documents likely suffice in check-points or similar stops. Borders may be fussier than a few thirsty soldiers looking for guns, drugs, and cookies at checkpoints.

More paper the better....

rts551 - 8-22-2014 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
When my 690 was stolen in San Felipe last winter (returned after reward paid), the legal office who accepted the police report pointed out that they considered "registration" as being a different document in Mexico than the "proof of ownership".....but it was accepted for the purpose of registering the theft report.

I am bringing two bike down this winter and will bring proof of ownership for both bikes, and the registration papers for the 690....as the 450 is not plated/registered.

In real life, either type of documents likely suffice in check-points or similar stops. Borders may be fussier than a few thirsty soldiers looking for guns, drugs, and cookies at checkpoints.

More paper the better....

Interesting. At Tecate they always prefer registration (others have reported the same). Presents an issue for us in that all our equipment is title only. The official always questions it. frowns at the title and then lets us proceed after discussion.

TMW - 8-23-2014 at 09:14 AM

At both Tecate and TJ when I would bring a bike down they would use the registration VIN number and match it to the bike.