BajaNomad

Coco

ehall - 8-27-2014 at 07:36 PM

I will be visiting with Coco next Saturday. Anyone know if he needs anything?

TMW - 8-27-2014 at 08:20 PM

He likes chocolate chip cookies, instant coffee, tomatoes, cucumbers, rice, and pinto beans. Let him know Tomas the Bandito has a new wheelchair for him and will deliver it in the next month or so. Wider seat and wheels.

I usually take him bottled water too, he can either drink it or sell it.

ehall - 8-27-2014 at 08:22 PM

Great ideas. Thanks. I will definitely deliver the message. I will take what I can fit in my jeep.

David K - 8-27-2014 at 10:36 PM

TW is Tomas the Bandito eh?

TMW - 8-28-2014 at 12:24 PM

To him I am. Believe it or not I got a call yesterday from the guy who broke his Tacoma pulling a trailer, he lives in La Paz. We had a nice chat some of which was about Coco. He wanted to do something for Coco since Coco helped him. His name is Dale and I'll be seeing him in Nov. at the Baja 1000, maybe bring Coco an early Chrismas present.

His Tacoma is shown here about a third of the way down.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64258

gator - 8-28-2014 at 12:56 PM

Just passed through Friday and dropped some food and supplies. He said he was nearly out of food. Said we were sent from heaven. We let him know we would be back through on Monday and he requested we pick up some Coca Cola for him. Passed back through on Monday and dropped off a 12 pack. Heading out I didn't directly ask him what he needed but asked what he liked to eat. He said chicken.

BajaBlanca - 8-28-2014 at 12:58 PM

welcome GATOR and what a grand first post!

David K - 8-28-2014 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
welcome GATOR and what a grand first post!

Ditto!

ehall - 8-29-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
He likes chocolate chip cookies, instant coffee, tomatoes, cucumbers, rice, and pinto beans. Let him know Tomas the Bandito has a new wheelchair for him and will deliver it in the next month or so. Wider seat and wheels.

I usually take him bottled water too, he can either drink it or sell it.
if I had a picture of the wheelchair to give him that would be great

TMW - 8-29-2014 at 03:02 PM

I bought it on ebay here is the listing for the wheelchair. Could just print it out. It's wider than the one he now has 20 inches vs 18 inches. I've put the alternate wheels on and the chair sets an inch lower 17.5 inches vs 18.5 inches. I think his sets 19 inches from the ground. I'm taking all the original wheels etc to him. There is a 5 year warranty on the chair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360474423037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

Also a pair of wider flat-free rear wheels thinking they may work better in the sand. Quickie Zippie Invacare Rear Wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181410287300?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

And a pair of wider front wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261550683269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

ehall - 8-29-2014 at 05:09 PM

perfect thanks

redhilltown - 8-31-2014 at 05:16 PM

Great to see Nomads helping Coco!! (and don't forget some cat food if you have some room!)

ehall - 9-7-2014 at 12:09 PM

Spent several hours with coco on Friday. He got choked up when he saw the picture of the new wheelchair. Might of even had a tear in his eye. He has had the same chair for 18 years. Good call on the cucumber. He loved them.

David K - 9-7-2014 at 12:10 PM

YEA!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

ehall - 9-7-2014 at 12:53 PM

He also mentioned that he could use a 12x12 mosquito net to put over his bed. He sleeps outside and the mosquitos are eating him up. The master cylinder on his truck went out so his friend drove it to Ensenada with no brakes to fix it. He was supposed to be back in a week. It has been 2 weeks with no word from him.

TMW - 9-7-2014 at 01:44 PM

Thanks. I've got a 14x10 military surplus mosquito net I can take him if it'll work. I'll be at his place on the 19th. I hope his friend is OK and didn't get into a wreck not having brakes. Last time I was there I gave him two Home Depot buckets with lids to store his cat food and gave him a big bag of cat food. Will take him more.

ehall - 9-7-2014 at 03:13 PM

That net would work great. He sleeps on the bottom of a bunkbed.

sancho - 9-7-2014 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I bought it on ebay here is the listing for the wheelchair

What a sincere, caring attitude you have, the Baja Spirit
for sure, excellent effort

ehall - 9-7-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I bought it on ebay here is the listing for the wheelchair

What a sincere, caring attitude you have, the Baja Spirit
for sure, excellent effort
x10 what an awesome gesture.

David K - 9-7-2014 at 04:33 PM

To keep ants out of the cat food buckets, set in a pan of water (naturally must keep water in the pan, or spray the bottom of the bucket with ant spray of something else the ants will not cross.

TMW - 9-8-2014 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for the tip DK and thanks to all the Nomads and non-Nomads that have helped Coco over the years.

deportes - 9-8-2014 at 04:28 PM

I haven't been to Baja California in 30 years, you guys make me feel like going soon. Waiting for retirement!! Very nice people!:yes:

David K - 9-8-2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes
I haven't been to Baja California in 30 years, you guys make me feel like going soon. Waiting for retirement!! Very nice people!:yes:

Coco is cool... and he has been there at an oasis he made to provide cold beer and sodas to dusty travelers... with the dusty days coming to an end as the highway construction arrives, in a few years.

July 2012:

Nov 2006:

Jan 2005:

July 2001:

redhilltown - 9-8-2014 at 11:36 PM

Great pics!!!!!!

The new road is going to change things but at least Coco won't go days without seeing anyone and he'll have more supplies. Hasn't happened often but to roll up there and have him gone...well, it just wasn't right.

ehall - 9-9-2014 at 04:47 AM

The new road is 5 km west of him. He is already complaining about people driving by without stopping.

David K - 9-9-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
The new road is 5 km west of him. He is already complaining about people driving by without stopping.

??

The original plan was the highway would be about 2 km. west (on the El Camino Real route and the old Chapala/ Las Arrastras road). Later it was reported to save money, they would use the current graded road route in front of Coco's.

The new road construction hasn't reached his area yet, so I am confused?

TMW - 9-9-2014 at 11:24 AM

There are survey ribbons and stakes to or near the Las Arrastras area. I haven't looked close enough to see if they head west away from the graded road. I don't recall anything closer to Coco. I'll check it out next week when I'm down there.

TMW - 9-9-2014 at 01:18 PM

I was looking at an old map that shows the old road from Chapala to Las Arrastras. The flags on the topo map correspond to the pins on the Google Earth maps Starting at the ranch west of Cocos Corner. Cocos Corner is labeled CC on the topo. From pin 2 to 6 they pretty much follow the same path.

The middle section

The Laguna Chapala end

This is the GE version with the old road in blue. The present day graded road is gold colored.

The pins correspond to the flags

Lake Chapala end

David K - 9-9-2014 at 06:18 PM

Yes, the only part of the old Arturo Grosso 1955 road that is not close to the 1983 graded road is where it goes by the ranch west of Coco and down the gully to the valley where it meets the 1983 road, which went east around that big hill, south of Coco's.

That road was so bad, nearly all traffic in the 60's and 70's went south/ north via Calamajué Canyon to El Crucero (or the water road short cut made in 1973 for highway construction). The NORRA Baja 500 (to 1973) used the old road from Chapala north.

redhilltown - 9-9-2014 at 11:30 PM

I guess that Mexico being Mexico, we'll just have to wait and see where the road goes but will be very interested in the TW update in a few weeks.

Muddyrabbit - 9-10-2014 at 07:48 AM

My wife and I are just starting to plan for our February-March trip to Baja from Ohio. We love visiting Coco, and I was getting ready to ask the same question about things he needs or likes as we very much want to bring him something. We will be traveling by motorcycles, but I think we can manage some tomatoes and such. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to check back when we are close to see if there is anything specific he is in NEED of.

dtbushpilot - 9-10-2014 at 08:01 AM

After I took this picture Coco whispered to me "sometimes is good to be short"..:lol::lol:

jbcoug - 9-10-2014 at 02:01 PM

He certainly knows how to look at the bright side of things!

TMW - 9-21-2014 at 08:00 AM

I delivered his new wheelchair, and supplies on Friday the 19th. Thanks go to JohnM and his wife. Will do a report in a few days with pictures.

ehall - 9-21-2014 at 08:02 AM

Fantastic. He must of survived the storm. Looking forward to your trip report.