BajaNomad

Follow up on heading south

Gonzo - 8-28-2014 at 06:41 PM

Just returned monday 8-25 from spending a week @ Shari and Juan's place in BA. My first trip to deep Baja in over 2 decades and my 13yr old sons first Baja surf/fishing trip. We drove straight through making good time, didn't get pulled over! Managed (with sweaty hands) to avoid the ever wider/faster/bigger semis. Shari was/is super gracious inviting us to a couple of dinners with some local expats and long term campers for some great meals at Keikos. If you managed to get to BA definitely try the potato bowl w/shrimp @ Keikos...the best $90 peso's you'll spend. Went fishing with Juan and Martin despite reports of impending big surf he took us out for phenomenal fishing ie.. 10YLT, 8skippys, 2 sierra, 2 callies, in just 3hrs!!!!!! Oh did I mention Shari made us fresh shashimi with awesome dipping sauce and seared YLT when we got in? To top it off Shari made us Sierra ceviche the next day that was great? Which I happen to be making tonight with some of the YLT I caught. All in all a great father/son trip and chance to dip my feet in the Baja pool again.

cheers
Gonzo

David K - 8-28-2014 at 06:43 PM

Thanks! Shari is awesome...

shari - 8-28-2014 at 08:34 PM

Aww shucks...glad you liked the grub...I hope the sierra mango ceviche turns out! It is always so fun to meet the up and coming new baja kids and watch them blossom into full blown baja lovers. Gianni certainly had his stoke on for fishing, surfing and eating. I look forward to watching him become a fine young man baja style.

It reminded me of Skipjack's and his awesome son Alex who we have grown to love. Summer is my favorite time with guests as many bring their families down.

Here they are with noodle arms after hauling in so many fish.

woody with a view - 8-28-2014 at 08:56 PM

that goofy kid in the VAN HALEN shirt reminds me of me, back in the daze!

lucky kid!

Bajaboy - 8-28-2014 at 09:33 PM

Good stuff! Happy to read about your adventure.

David K - 8-29-2014 at 07:55 AM

Gonzo and son doing the Baja thing!:light:

BajaGeoff - 8-29-2014 at 12:52 PM

Excellent Gonzo!

chippy - 8-29-2014 at 12:54 PM

Bart did you tell Shari about your Mulege experiance back in the 70s? :wow:

ps Stoked to see you back in da baja:yes:

[Edited on 8-29-2014 by chippy]

shari - 8-29-2014 at 01:26 PM

I look forward to hearing THAT story at happy hour on the deck!:bounce:

BajaBlanca - 8-29-2014 at 03:41 PM

wonderful trip report. one of these days your son might well be writing on bajanomad after that awesome fishing!

churro - 8-29-2014 at 10:06 PM

Nice report! Thanks for posting