BajaNomad

A big THANK YOU from the Desert Hawks Rescue Group in El Rosario!!!

BajaCactus - 9-1-2014 at 05:01 PM

We would like to thank the BajaNomad community for their support in helping our non-profit rescue group in El Rosario: the Desert Hawks.

We started serving our community and travelers in this area in March 2013. So far we have responded to 136 emergencies and helped out almost 400 individuals with rescue and transport.

Out of these emergencies, 96% have been car crash and/or rollovers along Highway 1 and out of these 136 events, 23 involved US citizens traveling along Highway 1 and, thanks in part to all of you, the Desert Hawks have always been there, ready to help.

BajaNomads have been supporting our cause, sometimes sending us donations via the Internet, others by sending materials with friends and/or by stopping at BajaCactus and donating something in person, every little helps out. Since last year we have received a little over $1,000 dollars and we have put every penny to work directly into helping others... Thank you!!!

Now, the Desert Hawks are preparing to create a Volunteer Fire and Rescue Group. An extension of our group with much needed services in these area, specially the vehicle extrication part. We are in the middle of getting a fire engine donated. Also we just received some items donated from Care Convoy, a non profit organization managed by Todd Jaynes in Jerome, Idaho, who was aware of our efforts and sent some help to start giving life to this new project.

If there are any fireman out there any help and/or advice will be very much appreciated.

In behalf of our rescue group and all our volunteers: Thank you so much for being part of our efforts... Together we can save lives!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Desert Hawks Rescue Group
Non Profit Organization

[Edited on 9-2-2014 by BajaCactus]

Fire equipment donation.jpg - 46kB

BajaBlanca - 9-1-2014 at 07:43 PM

You are amazing! This is a wonderful service. Gracias.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-1-2014 at 08:49 PM

Hola Antonio,

A BIGGER THANK YOU TO YOU !!

i remember your help to travelers going north and south durin fuel crises.

now, we have more reasons for being grateful that you have such a big heart.

THANK YOU,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

TMW - 9-2-2014 at 09:15 AM

Excellent and a big thank you for all you do Antonio and the Desert Hawks Rescue Group.

cpg - 9-2-2014 at 10:15 AM

Thank you so much for taking this on!

David K - 9-2-2014 at 10:35 AM

I think what Antonio does really deserves support from Nomads and lurkers alike. Everyone reading this is a possible victim of an accident or injury and if anywhere near El Rosario, it may be the Desert Hawks that save your life!

If not a donation, then at least you normal spending for gasoline or overnight motel at Baja Cactus, in El Rosario. These are Antonio's income source for what he does. This man really cares about the needs of Baja travelers!

Viva Baja Cactus!

CBS Sports host and off road racer Cameron Steele and Antonio Muņoz ('BajaCactus') last June.

woody with a view - 9-2-2014 at 12:05 PM

looks like a back board is needed! hopefully it is in the rig and not shown?

Bob53 - 9-2-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
looks like a back board is needed! hopefully it is in the rig and not shown?

I was out on my boat a couple weeks ago about 30 miles offshore and found a yellow backboard/stretcher floating complete with neck and head supports and body straps. I am willing to donate that if needed. If not, I was going to donate it to the clinic in BOLA.

wilderone - 9-3-2014 at 08:08 AM

Antonio - can you provide a list of items you could always use so that travelers passing through El Rosario could drop them off. Thank you for your sterling efforts - phenomenal really.

Equipment...

BajaCactus - 9-3-2014 at 07:49 PM

Woody... Yes, we have a rigid back board inside the ambulance. What we is shown in the picture is only what Care Convoy donated to help us started with the Fire and Rescue Area.

Bob53, backboards and neck/head supports are very difficult to get by around this area. Even in Tijuana there are not many places where you can find them and we need to use them very often. Sometimes and depending on the injury of the patient, hospitals in Col. Guerrero do not want to remove them until the injured person reaches Ensenada, and getting them back when that happens is close to impossible. We usually loose them in these cases. If you can spare the one you found it will be most appreciated.

Wilderone, items we are always using to attend injured people: rigid cervical collars, duct tape, antiseptic solutions, bandages (gauze, dressing, tape, etc), IV solutions like Hartman's, Sodium Chloride, waterless hand cleanser, commercial antimicrobial (towelette, spray, liquid), disinfectant solutions to clean the ambulance and equipment, etc.

Our thanks and blessings to all of you!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by BajaCactus]

Ateo - 9-4-2014 at 07:18 AM

Thanks Antonio. This is a tremendous service you are doing for travelers and locals in the area. Gracias.

Bob53 - 9-4-2014 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus

Bob53, backboards and neck/head supports are very difficult to get by around this area. Even in Tijuana there are not many places where you can find them and we need to use them very often. Sometimes and depending on the injury of the patient, hospitals in Col. Guerrero do not want to remove them until the injured person reaches Ensenada, and getting them back when that happens is close to impossible. We usually loose them in these cases. If you can spare the one you found it will be most appreciated.

I will be filling up my RV at your station on the morning of 10/1/14. I will bring it to you then.

Rigid cervical board.

BajaCactus - 9-4-2014 at 01:15 PM

Thank you Bob... we will put it to good use.

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by BajaCactus]

David K - 9-4-2014 at 04:58 PM

The Facebook page sure has a lot of good work reports with photos, too: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto