BajaNomad

Boat Dealers/Sellers in BCS

jcom - 9-2-2014 at 03:10 PM

Greetings all,

Newbie to this forum. I'm looking at purchasing a home on the East Cape and I'm having trouble finding many sites with boats for sale. I'm in the market for anything from a super panga up to a 23 - 24'ish center console. Other than Craigslist and La Paz Yachts, I haven't found much. Any links you guys can share? I'll obviously have to do some groundwork when I'm down there next, but I'd obviously like to know general inventory ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!

jcom

desertcpl - 9-2-2014 at 03:17 PM

try this

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/advancedSearch.jsp

Pescador - 9-2-2014 at 04:01 PM

Try BDoutdoors.com and boattraderonline.com

dtbushpilot - 9-2-2014 at 04:53 PM

Welcome to Nomads jcom and welcome to the East Cape when you get here.

Besides what you already know you could post a wanted add in the BPE, I see boats posted there from time to time and I know there are some boats down there that are for sale but not aggressively marketed.

http://thebajaponyexpress.com/2014/August/2036--083114.htm

jcom - 9-2-2014 at 05:03 PM

Thanks. Yachtworld only produced 10 results in the area (with only one in my length category). Boat Trader seems to be only for the USA, unless I'm missing an international section (for instance, when I put in the *required* zip code for Cabo San Lucas, it is the same as Virginia Beach. Bloody Decks has a Baja section, but not necessarily a classifieds that I could find. I just find it hard to believe that in such a fishing mecca as Los Cabos/East Cape/La Paz, that it's difficult to even find dealer sites. Very odd. Maybe I'll just have to start posting "Looking For" ads on Craigs, Nomad, etc. ???

jcom - 9-2-2014 at 05:17 PM

Gracias DT. I found out about the ponyexpress a few weeks back and have been lurking. We are possibly going to rent the house we want to purchase for 6 months to really get a feeling for the area and make sure it's a sage decision. Assuming we will make a permanent decision, it's likely you may see a post or two from me later this year ;D

p.s. - we were on a short, real estate tour there a couple of weeks ago, but managed to get out one day with a charter and it was some epic Dorado fishing, although we missed the tuna bite by one day. Was nice to have some hours old Mahi once again. My dream is to be able to catch a large rooster on the fly rod from the beach!

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by jcom]

dtbushpilot - 9-2-2014 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jcom
Gracias DT. I found out about the ponyexpress a few weeks back and have been lurking. We are possibly going to rent the house we want to purchase for 6 months to really get a feeling for the area and make sure it's a sage decision. Assuming we will make a permanent decision, it's likely you may see a post or two from me later this year ;D

p.s. - we were on a short, real estate tour there a couple of weeks ago, but managed to get out one day with a charter and it was some epic Dorado fishing, although we missed the tuna bite by one day. Was nice to have some hours old Mahi once again. My dream is to be able to catch a large rooster on the fly rod from the beach!

Did I meet you at Smokey's?

jcom - 9-2-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:

Did I meet you at Smokey's?

Negatory, we did not make it to Smokey's. Sorry I missed making your acquaintance.

Pacifico - 9-2-2014 at 07:45 PM

Try checking out the old Van Diaz Pangas building on the highway at Los Barriles. I think it is just called Diaz Pangas now. I saw some activity there a few weeks ago...
I'm sure DT would know.

shari - 9-2-2014 at 07:50 PM

After our season is over this fall, we will be selling our center console 23' panga with lots of freeboard (high sides and bow) for big waves. We have a new super panga we will be adding to our little fleet and retiring the "Sirena" if you are still interested then.

Hola Jcom

captkw - 9-2-2014 at 09:51 PM

Hi,, As a radio Geek I thought ICOM about your name/handle... stupid me !! You really might want to ckeck out and drive a TWIN VEE from a Dealer around San Dieago area (not a Typo) He,HEE....pangas are rough ride and don't EAT through the Snot in the afternoons as a Cat does.... there are much better riding,,fishing boats out there (bless you MACK SCH.)..Try before you bye !! Good luck and "thight Lines"......K&T:cool:

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by captkw]

desertcpl - 9-3-2014 at 11:59 AM

if I am not mistaken,, isnt there several panga and super panga

builders in La Paz

mulegemichael - 9-3-2014 at 12:19 PM

our 28 footer was built in la paz by the best of all panga builders, i understand...his name is stamped on my transom and my 69 yr. old brain cannot come up with it.....it's the finest boat i've ever owned in all my life and when we sell/die/move/change lives it will stay with our house in mulege.

jcom - 9-3-2014 at 02:07 PM

Thanks all. Yes, CaptKW, "Try before you buy"....after having owned 7 or 8 boats in my 40 years, I finally learned my lesson with a purchase of a used center console in 2012...a nightmare I won't get into here...time has healed the wounds and I'm back in the game. I've never been on a Twin V, but I can imagine what you say is true. I'm more of a down and dirty type and won't be taking "the girls" out all that often...many days would be me alone, so I'd be keeping a close watch on the wind and weather. I worked in Antarctica for 4 years driving Zodiacs, so my teeth are quite ground down (ha ha). That being said, I'm getting older and have had some health issues, so I'm wide open as to a boat choice at this point. Hell, I'd even go with a CC Zodiac!! I know how to handle them in the nasties. Anyway, great forum and great responses! Oh, and "jcom" does have a handheld "icom" :spingrin:

desertcpl - 9-3-2014 at 02:24 PM

I bought my Panga from Mack Shroyer,,, he was building them in

La Paz, brought it to San Diego to finish it

I only bought the hull it was a 22' really loved the boat

mtnpop - 9-3-2014 at 06:13 PM

good possibility that next spring we will have a 94 Robalo 1820 115 4stroke yamaha 2005,,,,coming on the market... in Mulege... can't make a promise right at this moment.
would consider taking names from interested for now..

JCOM

captkw - 9-4-2014 at 04:45 AM

Hola,, I only let my guy's bye a ICOM or STANDARD handheld (mobile) radio !!! for the simple fact....They WORK !!! pangas DONT very well !! poor excuse for a boat !! they work,, but with many downsides!!!!!

bigmike58 - 9-4-2014 at 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
pangas DONT very well !! poor excuse for a boat !! they work,, but with many downsides!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jcom - 9-4-2014 at 06:38 AM

^^^ Thanks all. I'm certainly leaning toward a Deep V center console, but I'm not a deep pockets guy. 40 yr old, semi-retirement plans, and the house on East Cape will cause some butt hurt when all is said and done. I will need to be semi-conscious of boat cost, fuel, maintenance, etc. so I don't become reluctant to take it out regularly. I understand the preference toward CCs, Walk-Arounds, etc...but I saw some pretty damn cool super pangas when I was out fishing there mid-August. I'm looking for a vessel for a hard core, down and dirty type (me and my bros) that I can occasionally take the girls out on calm days. On the chitty days, I couldn't care less if I'm getting slapped around. Pangas are easy to yank out of the water when it gets nasty as well. I dunno, I'm up in the air and appreciate all the input. The cart is definitely before the horse as I need to close on the casa before anything else....

BTW, The murders two days ago in Los Barriles sent a chill down my spine. Not cool when you're just about to choose a retirement locale.

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by jcom]