BajaNomad

Our version of Hurricane Norbert - LA BOCANA -pics 9/11

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2014 at 08:04 PM

Well, we are all ready for hurricane Norbert and this is what we have seen so far-

lots of wave action:

this part of the Pacific is usually totally calm-check out how white it is towards the end:

These waves are right in front and they are getting bigger and bigger. Their beauty really lies in the wind that is brushing the wave back and creating mist.

We were at the Cabanas Restaurant about 2 hours ago and all the boats are beached and the tide was rising visibly. Hopefully the waitress will send me pics like I asked.

The waves are supposed to reach 20 feet and the wind might rage tonight. Hopefully we have internet in the morning so I can post more info.

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by BajaBlanca]

BornFisher - 9-5-2014 at 08:07 PM

Put a little sun behind those waves and you have rooster tails!! Thanks for the report and pics!!

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2014 at 09:51 PM

and here are the cabana pics! Two hours ago there was no water as we entered the restaurant:

THIS PICTURE IS OF THE BACK OF THE CABANAS! and the hurricane is not even here yet .... the is the Pre-event ......

bajalorena - 9-5-2014 at 09:55 PM

Blanca and Les, stay safe.

micah202 - 9-5-2014 at 10:02 PM

thanks for sharing pic's

....interesting -log-(!!) cabins!?
.....are those septic(?) tanks really heavy?

....I guess the conditions you have tommorrow evening will be foretelling for ascunsion's sunday morning

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by micah202]

Whale-ista - 9-6-2014 at 12:55 AM

Wow. Think they may need to relocate the cabins and restaurant? (Unless the storm does it for them)

EnsenadaDr - 9-6-2014 at 04:23 AM

Looks like the kayaks are ready for the people pickup anyway, Whale-ista!! The hurricane was upgraded to category 3 overnight.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-nor...

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2014 at 08:19 AM

here we are in the morning and there was not a sign of wind last night.

the waves look exactly the same now as they did yesterday.

we will stop by the cabanas in a bit to see what happened.

I have been told that the sewer system purifies the water using three separate septic tanks. Those are indeed log cabins and the gvt.money was for ecologically friendly structures and they really are eco-friendly: all wood, solar heated water, treated sewer water .... the works.

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
here we are in the morning and there was not a sign of wind last night.

the waves look exactly the same now as they did yesterday.

we will stop by the cabanas in a bit to see what happened.

I have been told that the sewer system purifies the water using three separate septic tanks. Those are indeed log cabins and the gvt.money was for ecologically friendly structures and they really are eco-friendly: all wood, solar heated water, treated sewer water .... the works.

...hmmm,,,are those tanks particularly heavy?...or maybe it's an idea to fill with water while they're still there??

...so funny to see log cabins in Baja!;D

...I'm betting on your 'peak' will be this evening with the 7pm high tide,,winds blowing reasonably on-shore

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by micah202]

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2014 at 12:26 PM

I GOT THESE PICS OF ABREOJOS OFF FACEBOOK- HOPE EVERYONE IS HANGING IN THERE:

Mulegena - 9-6-2014 at 12:35 PM

Be well and safe today, west coast friends.

Be prepared. Be intelligent. Be safe.

Our thoughts are with you.

shari - 9-6-2014 at 12:59 PM

oh boy..lets hope the cabins remain in place...did they move those boats from the front of one yet? the surf is really coming up now so imagine what it will be like tonight!!!!

BajaRat - 9-6-2014 at 01:16 PM

Our best wishes are with you Blanca, Les and the entire Wildcoast.......
Hang on and hang in there.
The Fam

BajaBlanca - 9-6-2014 at 02:14 PM

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Here are some pics of the horrendous sandstorm:

TO THE LEFT OF THE PORCH

TO THE RIGHT WHERE I POSTED PICS OF THE WHITE WATER

AND STRAIGHT IN FRONT - WE HAVE HAD NO RAIN EXCEPT SOME DROPS - BT THIS WIND IS RELENTLESS. WE SHALL BE BUYING ROOF TILES !

David K - 9-6-2014 at 04:18 PM

Hold on friends!

shari - 9-6-2014 at 04:58 PM

How are things now Blanca? We are getting hammered here now too with wind but not much rain at all. Did you board your windows?

KaceyJ - 9-6-2014 at 06:11 PM

Is the worst yet to come for LB and BA? Maybe in the middle of the night?

Feathers - 9-6-2014 at 06:37 PM

The winds have calmed considerably. Just a couple of brief showers, earlier.

I could be wrong, but I think it's over.

Knock on wood.:)

msteve1014 - 9-6-2014 at 06:42 PM

Things are better right now (7:30) we got a little rain to keep the dust down, and the wind has died down a little. The surge is huge, boats are floating around where it has been high and dry for a long time. My little boat is sitting on a big dune to keep from getting squashed by the floating pangas.

Tomas Tierra - 9-6-2014 at 07:13 PM

Hang on there mike!

msteve1014 - 9-6-2014 at 08:10 PM

Sitting on the dune was not enough. I just rescued it from in front of the salon. The soccer and baseball fields have enough water to float a panga. There are boats all along the raised road to the beach.

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 10:23 PM

....wow,,congrats!...that --was- the worst of it!!

...some great pictures,,,useful details.....do you folks have some idea of the peak windspeeds that you got??

BajaBlanca - 9-7-2014 at 09:21 AM

Mike....sorry to hear that the dune wasn't good enough....I am about to head down to see what appears to be boat disaster in general but here are the pics I took this morning as I tried unsuccessfully to reach the cabanas restaurant to teach the waitresses English:

WAY TO RESTAURANT:

THE BASEBALL FIELDS ARE FLOODED:

rts551 - 9-7-2014 at 09:27 AM

Wind peak was only 27 mph.... but lots of dirt and dust because no rain...but high storm surge...one sail boat on the rocks

BajaBlanca - 9-7-2014 at 01:44 PM

Exactly as Ralph says - lots of sand and dust due to the wind. No rain to speak of here on the coast but the tide was very high.

PIC OF HIGHWAY 1 AT VIZCAINO TAKEN FROM FACEBOOK:

PIC OF LA BOCANA BOATS FAR FROM WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!

THERE IS A BIG MEETING GOING ON AS I WRITE - ALL "SOCIOS" WERE CALLED TO THE BEACH. I BET THEY ARE WORKING ON GETTING ALL BOATS BACK TO THEIR SPOTS ON THE WATER.

I dare say, I think we are over Norbert. The sky has white clouds, the ocean is calmer than it has been in days, there is no wind, no dust storm. It is still very humid.

Back to Life as we know it!

watizname - 9-7-2014 at 09:42 PM

The photo of Hwy 1 is pretty scary. Was there really that much rain in the Viscaino area?:O

Whale-ista - 9-7-2014 at 10:48 PM

Whoa! Good you have a well organized socio to respond.

How's the salt flats freeway? Are you able to get to Abreojos? Can people get in to you?

BajaBlanca - 9-8-2014 at 06:18 AM

the highway is clear because the kids who are bused in have been in school.

I think I spoke too soon about the worst being over. there are massive rain clouds this morning.

vandenberg - 9-8-2014 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
The photo of Hwy 1 is pretty scary. Was there really that much rain in the Viscaino area?:O

This is likely the arroyo just north of Vizcaino.

It floods with even small amounts of rain. Definitely needs a bridge.

shari - 9-8-2014 at 07:25 AM

I am glad to see the cabanas still standing. Word on the street here was that they were knocked down...I was afraid to ask yesterday! We too are still getting some small rain cells and about 20 knots of wind...no laundry yet but we are taking boards off the windows today

David K - 9-8-2014 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by watizname

This is likely the arroyo just north of Vizcaino.

It floods with even small amounts of rain. Definitely needs a bridge.

Notice that big hill close to hwy.? My guess is near Abreojos jcn.? Just a guess .

Meany - 9-8-2014 at 08:31 AM

Gust a guess on the truck shot. Looks like it is south of San Ignacio and before Dathil??

shari - 9-8-2014 at 08:35 AM

that arroyo is just north of the Abreojos turnoff between Vizcaino & San Ignacio ...fills up fast!

[Edited on 9-8-2014 by shari]

micah202 - 9-8-2014 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I am glad to see the cabanas still standing. Word on the street here was that they were knocked down...I was afraid to ask yesterday! We too are still getting some small rain cells and about 20 knots of wind...no laundry yet but we are taking boards off the windows today

...me's got 2 curiosities-- are your palmtrees still there?

....and do those log cabins still have the tanks out back!?

shari - 9-8-2014 at 12:04 PM

the palm trees are still standing but barely...can you see the big crack beside this one? the bushes and some of the big salt pine trees that were great for shade on the beach are gone.

I will post an Asuncion report shortly in a new thread.

the log cabins are in La Bocana...so even though they have an estuary, they are still not entirely protected from the ocean's wrath.

msteve1014 - 9-8-2014 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

...me's got 2 curiosities-- are your palmtrees still there?

....and do those log cabins still have the tanks out back!?

I think that the tanks you were looking at are the tinacos. They are fine, most likely full of water.

BajaBlanca - 9-8-2014 at 01:45 PM

I was totally off about the rain -not a drop and where that rain lands is anybody's guess. Them clouds were pitch black.

Blue skies now - puffy cottonball clouds -slight breeze.

What a change from the last couple days.

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2014 at 09:07 PM

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2014 at 09:14 PM

TONS OF SEAWEED AND NOTICE THAT THE CABANA SIGNS CAME DOWN .....

THE CABANAS AND THE RESTAURANT WERE NOT DAMAGED AT ALL BUT YOU HAD TO WADE THRU WATER TO GET TO THEM.