BajaNomad

outboard motors?

Cypress - 9-9-2014 at 10:53 AM

Wondering what preference Nomad fishermen have when it comes to outboard motors. Evinrude? Mercury? Yamaha? etc.? Gotta repower, my old one has given up the ghost. :?:

weebray - 9-9-2014 at 11:01 AM

That's almost a bad as asking; what's a better pick-up Ford or Chevy. You're gonna get people with strong feelings. For what it's worth I see a hella lotta Honda's and Yamaha's out there on the pangas. Honestly, if you take care of them, any brand will do nicely.

SFandH - 9-9-2014 at 11:05 AM

My 1985 Evinrude 40hp that I bought a few years ago runs good. Always starts right up. I've bought carburetor rebuilding kits over the Internet and spark plugs at Autozone.

dtbushpilot - 9-9-2014 at 11:17 AM

While any of them will work your location and mission are an important factor in your decision. If you are in a semi remote area of Baja go with something popular and 4 stroke. Parts and service are hard to come by down here. If you live in the greater metropolitan area of LA and are going bass fishing at the local lake your options are more varied but it should still be 4 stroke. I expect the capt to chime in on the virtues of a 2 stroke Evinrude but don't fall for any 2 stroke hype. I've had several 2 smoke motors in the past, all of them worked, none of them compare to a new 4 stroke and if you are bass fishing on a US lake the 2 smoke has probably been banned anyway. Buy a Honda or Yamaha, you will be glad you did...

LaTijereta - 9-9-2014 at 11:38 AM

Stick with Yamaha.. Lighter and great service in Mexico..

monoloco - 9-9-2014 at 12:20 PM

Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki seemed to be the favorites in Alaska from what I saw, with some Mercury, and very few Evinrudes.

mtnpop - 9-9-2014 at 12:24 PM

love my yamaha 115 4 stroke.... the fishing co-ops or some of them got new honda's last year with gov't help me thinks...
really good mechanic for either in San Lucas just south of Santa Rosalia..
have heard as many love as hate the Honda's so no idea.. there are many around our area....

bajamedic - 9-9-2014 at 12:44 PM

Although I am probably the minority... I have had four boats in my adult life, my current Honda BF40 has been a constant pain in the @#$%^&. I have Had Mercury's and OMC Outdrives that were trouble free throughout years of operation. The good thing with the Honda BF40 is when it is running, fuel economy is great being a 4 stroke. JH

larryC - 9-9-2014 at 01:36 PM

I agree Fords and Chevy's. I would stick with some thing like a Honda or Yamaha. Igor Galvan down here in BoLA just had to replace his Honda 225 but it had 14,000 hours on it.

chippy - 9-9-2014 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
love my yamaha 115 4 stroke.... the fishing co-ops or some of them got new honda's last year with gov't help me thinks...
really good mechanic for either in San Lucas just south of Santa Rosalia..
have heard as many love as hate the Honda's so no idea.. there are many around our area....

What he said. 11 years with my F115 only regular maint. been flawless so far.

Bob53 - 9-9-2014 at 03:34 PM

I am and always will be a 2 stroke guy.

chuckie - 9-9-2014 at 03:43 PM

I have a Honda, good motor..BUT has been TOTALLY rebuilt twice...very spendy....I would buy another one tho...

MMc - 9-9-2014 at 04:02 PM

If it's for Baja, see what the locals are using. The parts will be around and somebody will be able to work on it.

micah202 - 9-9-2014 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

....and you drive a dodge dart?? .:smug:

weebray - 9-9-2014 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

If only there were a slant 6 outboard.

Bob53 - 9-9-2014 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

ummm...no
I have a 175 Yamaha on my 21' Grady and I have a 15 Yamaha on my 12' Valco. Both 2 strokes and both great engines.

Traded the Dodge dart in on a donkey.

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Bob53]

chuckie - 9-9-2014 at 06:03 PM

:yes::yes:

wessongroup - 9-9-2014 at 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Stick with Yamaha.. Lighter and great service in Mexico..

No knowledge, but, that beer and view ... brings back memories

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by wessongroup]

bajabuddha - 9-10-2014 at 03:38 AM

There is a difference between Yamaha and Honda; Yamahas are built more for salt-water use. The new 4-strokes come with a hose coupler right to the motor; no more ear-muffs to rinse out the salt, and you don't even have to run the motor. Just hose-up and flush. Also, there are Yamaha parts all over Baja; you have to hunt for Honda parts, if at all.

I've owned a new one of each (small, only 9.9-ers) and had problems with the Honda. That's just personal experience, everyone has their own.

yellowklr - 9-10-2014 at 06:25 AM

I've had every Ouboard made and the only major problems was with the Honda 225
first was the lower end and following year entrire engine went

I'd go Yamaha or Suzuki

Pescador - 9-10-2014 at 07:28 AM

From personal experience and lots of high hours I would always lean towards Yamaha if you want something to last for a long time. Because I hang out with the commercial guys here in this part of the world, that is a topic of great discussion amongst the pangueros and their choice is always the yamaha and has been since the days of the Yamaha Enduros. They will get a Suzuki or Honda because the co-op gets a good buy on them, but they end up in the junk pile much sooner than the Yamahas do. Suzuki's make good anchors if properly tied to the anchor line.

Since Cypress is going to be using it in LA. in the bayou country, the maintenance and service issue is lessened, but still probably does not want to financially support the repair shops either. I would definitely stay away from the new Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury stuff, but that is just personal experience and preference.

Spearo - 9-10-2014 at 12:06 PM

Im a fisheries biologist and have spent half my life working in a boat, the other half fishing out of one. I have to agree with Pescador, Yamaha makes the best motor with Honda close behind. I have heard good things about the Suzukis from people I trust but if I was going to buy a new motor it would be a Yammie.

Just bought a new (to me) motorcycle...a Yamaho TW200. Go figure.

weebray - 9-10-2014 at 12:15 PM

Quote:

Only because BMW doesn't make an outboard.

Spearo - 9-10-2014 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray

Only because BMW doesn't make an outboard.

A BMW outboard would weigh 9,000 pounds and you would have to refinance your house to afford it!

SFandH - 9-10-2014 at 12:53 PM

Look like Yamaha is getting the nod. Good to know. My 30 year old Evinrude has got to be getting near the end of its life. :D

willardguy - 9-10-2014 at 01:04 PM

I love those Bavarians, so meticulous........ :rolleyes:

Bob53 - 9-10-2014 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Look like Yamaha is getting the nod. Good to know. My 30 year old Evinrude has got to be getting near the end of its life. :D

The 175 Yamaha on my Grady is a 1988. It has never been apart and is still running strong. I want a new engine but it just won't die.

Cypress - 9-11-2014 at 02:20 AM

Thanks for all the input. Yamaha outboards are mighty quite and easy on fuel.

monoloco - 9-11-2014 at 06:12 AM

Why mess around? Just get one of these:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/seven-marine/boat-engines-out...

weebray - 9-11-2014 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
A BMW outboard would weigh 9,000 pounds and you would have to refinance your house to afford it!

Actually, the appropriate bike for Baja California weighs about 500lbs and costs less than a Harley. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/03/2014-bmw-f800gs-adventu...

Pescador - 9-11-2014 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray

Actually, the appropriate bike for Baja California weighs about 500lbs and costs less than a Harley. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/03/2014-bmw-f800gs-adventu...

If I am a really good boy, Santa might just put one of those under the tree, no cactus.

willardguy - 9-11-2014 at 07:51 AM

being a fan of the inline 4 since the FJ12 days i'd like to get cappy's take on these lighter more compact yamaha or suzuki IL4's ! :yes:

Pacifico - 9-11-2014 at 09:33 PM

I've had great experience with Yamaha. I've had the Enduro 48 (gas hog), F60, F115, and F250. Hard to beat the Yamaha brand! An old guy who had been around the world a few times in his sailboat once told me that parts for Yamaha are the most abundant compared to other brands in most parts of the world. Food for thought...

basautter - 9-14-2014 at 04:52 AM

The biggest difference I have experienced is availability of parts. Johnson/Evinrude parts are very easy to find. Nissan/Tohatsu only support their products for 10 years. After that, parts get hard to find. Not sure about other brands.

outboards

captkw - 9-14-2014 at 08:09 AM

Hola, as a master Marine mechanic that works 8 days a week 8 months of a year I can say in my work I would never buy,own a Yamaha,mercury Honda four stroke !! too whimpy !! and don't hold up to saltwater well..And no I don't like the four strokes outboards yet !! Too heavy,,costly..lots of hr duty work to be performed and not much torque and WAYYYYY too many parts and money....go ahead and decide what you want...but I sea the inside thruth on this issue daily and Iam not kidding when I say a two stroke outboard is much better buy.....the newr 2 strokes rocknroll and you don't have to have a four stroke anywhere...besides what you have been told (lie) I hear guys are the time say 2 strokes are outlawed.BS>>>BS...you being misinformed about 2 strokes from guys that don't know crap about this !!

55steve - 9-14-2014 at 08:23 AM

I've owned Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury & Yamaha's - all 2-strokes & good experiences with them all. I was in the market for a replacement for the very well used 90 Yamaha on my skiff and I went with a new 2-stroke 90 hp Etec - I got an exceptional deal on it and at the time it was the least weight in its size class (the new Yamaha F-90 is the lightest now).

The engine runs flawlessly with no smoke and excellent fuel economy - around 4 to 5 nautical MPG depending on conditions/load. It also has the highest EPA rating with less emissions than a 4-stroke - I have NO IDEA how a 2-stroke can do this. The engine is very quiet - perhaps just slightly a bit louder than a comparable 4-stroke. I've actually attempted to start it when it's already running....I've learned to look at the tach to verify this now.

I really do like the new Yamahas but not the extra maintenance of a 4-stroke.

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by 55steve]

Doug/Vamonos - 9-18-2014 at 04:48 PM

If my trusted 2000 Johnson 115 2-stroke (terrible gas mileage) ever gives up the ghost I will most likely replace it with a Yamaha 115 4-stroke. I wish I had more confidence in the etec cuz I would love an etec 90 or 115. I love 2-strokes. The simplicity. But I have a 2001 Evinrude 250 at home, the precursor to the current etec 250 and I've read a ton about the etecs and talked to a lot of people. My experience has been problems with the EMM (the computer that controls the fuel injection and more). They fail, especially if the outboard ever overheats. The old ones failed and destroyed motors (the ficht days) and the new ones fail too. I read about that all the time on Etec boards. I wish it were different. But it still happens. And when it happens you are screwed. The EMM dies, and the outboard usually stops. In its tracks. No bueno in Baja. Other than the problems Yamaha has with corrosion in the 225 exhaust, I have never heard a negative experience with yamaha 4 strokes. And Hondas are just too expensive and too heavy.

Etec

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 05:20 PM

My self have not met a etec owner that dosnt love their motor's..And I go outta my way.. when I see one to ask !! The only reason besides picking up kelp or a plastic bag on the lwr gear case over heating is from lack of water pump impeller replacement and also not doing a GOOD job of it also..(always replace the wear plate and gaskets) Thermastats always get stuck in the open position (almost always) the ECM does have a water jacket in them for cooling..I don't know of the ecm on ANY outboard beside a FICHT that are prone to issues....even lil 40 hp have ecms...there are on all FI and many carbed motors. The Only complaint about a ETEC that I ever hear is the price of the oil....K&T gonna make a Wankel outboard myself !!

Doug/vamanos

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 06:24 PM

Just spent a hr looking around the net and did not find what you stated about ETEC'S.....you must sell Yammys or mercs to make such a post !!

jakethedog - 9-18-2014 at 06:42 PM

Nice to see some typical banter starting agin.

From a 2004 honda 115 owner witout ever a problem, no smoke and great gas usage. By the way, starts first time every time. My 2 cents.

And on a panga center console that is comfortable and bomb proof that I can launch from the sand and run the road on a given whim, launch there as well and not have to worry.

Did I mention the gas mileage I get in my toyota pulling it to Mag bay?

Soooo glad I got rid of the 20' Proline. Nice boat, but not for down here.

Welcome jake the Dog LOL !!

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 07:17 PM

BTW a etec has 190 less parts than a four stroke !!! and a wankel is a 1/3 stroke motor..Thats three (3) power strokes for one (1) revoulation.......anyone here ever seen a Yanmar Diesel outboard ???

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by captkw]

ncampion - 9-18-2014 at 08:38 PM

Talk to Madza owners about the longevity of a wankel. I have a good friend who is a senior executive at Madza, he doesn't like to talk about wankels. They are lucky to get 60,000 miles on an RX8 motor and that is about as advanced as a wankel gets. Put it in a salt water environment and it may last a week.

wankels

captkw - 9-18-2014 at 09:17 PM

by far the fastest car I ever owned was a RX3 ate us muscle cars for lunch...the 1982 corvette was "slated" to have a rotary But, alas GM could not make it happen..My self always have thought a little oil in the gas would help the apex seals last lot longer...think like a 2 stroke..anyway the wankel does have a lot of strong points and is very misunderstood...I find it Amazing that we are still stuck on piston !!! after this many years ???? I want warp 3 drives !!!

Doug/Vamonos - 9-21-2014 at 03:19 PM

Captkw. I don't sell anything and I'm not attempting to trash the reputation of Evinrude or Etecs and you're a dick to suggest that. I personally own, right now, a 2000 Johnson 115 2-stroke, a 2001 Evinrude 250 Ram Injection 2-stroke, and a Nissan 9.8 four stroke. If you are an honest and intelligent and skilled mechanic how can you possibly say that the EMMs on etecs do not fail? Seriously? And an RX3 that ate muscle cars? What year/model muscle car? That's an awful big statement for a "professional" mechanic.

Doug/Vamonos - 9-21-2014 at 03:25 PM

Dude...I did a single yahoo search for "etec failed emm" and an entire page full of reports of failures came up. Not only do you suck as a mechanic but you suck at searching the internet. :-) I'd like to know what your reasons are for dissing all the current four stroke manufacturers. Obviously you have some motive for doing this.

luv2fish - 9-21-2014 at 04:00 PM

A couple of questions for our online Capt/mechanic, lets say we have a 2 stroke Merc. o/b 1998 model, computer injected with all the bells and whistles, pushing a 1000 lb boat, and we also have the same model motor but a 4 stroke pushing the same vessel. Which motor will burn more fuel ? And approximately how much is the difference in fuel consumption?? The reason I ask, is that a couple weeks back we went out to Santa Catalina Island from Los Alamitos Bay. We took on 120 gallons of 87 octane. Bayliner Trophy 25', cuddy cabin, with center console and 5, 200 lbs adults with all our gear. We spent the day out there, did a 360* of the island. By the time we got back to Avalon { our starting point at the isl.} we needed fuel. W.T.F. Why so much fuel consumption ?? Would a four stroke suck up so much fuel ?? also would it
be as powerful ???

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by luv2fish]

chuckie - 9-21-2014 at 04:13 PM

I was a Suzuki motorcycle dealer, and we HAD to take 2 of the Suzuki Rotaries....Had to almost give them away, and when we saw the owners pull into the shop evryone went and hid....

55steve - 9-21-2014 at 04:13 PM

Mazda has redesigned the rotary engine and is going to reintroduce it in 2016.

http://www.icarreview.com/mazda-will-produce-new-wankel-rota...

The old wankel engine kicked butt on my 1968 Dodge Dart Swinger with the 340 CI engine. My car was very fast but sort of at the bottom end of the muscle car lineup.

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by 55steve]

55steve - 9-21-2014 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Dude...I did a single yahoo search for "etec failed emm" and an entire page full of reports of failures came up. Not only do you suck as a mechanic but you suck at searching the internet. :-) I'd like to know what your reasons are for dissing all the current four stroke manufacturers. Obviously you have some motive for doing this.

Not being picky Doug but failed EMM's seems to be an issue regardless of brand. I did a search for failed Yamaha EMM and there's plenty as well.

ETec or Yamaha, I'm happy with either one!

4 strokes

captkw - 9-21-2014 at 04:32 PM

today spent 3 hrs on a 2004 Honda 90 removing the gear case to diagnose failed reverse gear (dog clutch) any way it should not have taken that much time.. just not the best design imo....I was working at 7/11 till last week and decided to become a mechanic !! still trying to pour coffee in the oil !!! Get a GRIP !!! any/all ecm can have a issue..but its almost rare !! same as car motor's !! they seldom fail and are diagnosed by wanna be techs as the problem...one company that does my rework swears 90 percent of ecms sent to them are fine !!! its called prom for the most part !!! so far this season not one bad ecm for me !!:cool:

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by captkw]

Doug/Vamonos - 9-21-2014 at 05:52 PM

Hey Steve. I'm in no way a 2-stroke, OMC, BRP hater. Captain mechanic dude just peeed me off and he deserved a response. Like I said, I would love to buy an etec but my Evinrude DI just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, my 250 is previous gen tech but an honest search of the web finds plenty of recent examples. And I've never met any other outboard owner from any other manufacturer with dead EMMs. Sure, I guess they may happen. I've met and spoken to and emailed several people with dead BRP Emms. But we hope for the best, right. My concern since I'm often floating miles out to sea in the Cortez is there is no one to save my butt. In US waters I have my towing insurance and they've saved me with my dead Evinrude EMM twice. See ya at the bay.

55steve - 9-21-2014 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Hey Steve. I'm in no way a 2-stroke, OMC, BRP hater. Captain mechanic dude just peeed me off and he deserved a response. Like I said, I would love to buy an etec but my Evinrude DI just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, my 250 is previous gen tech but an honest search of the web finds plenty of recent examples. And I've never met any other outboard owner from any other manufacturer with dead EMMs. Sure, I guess they may happen. I've met and spoken to and emailed several people with dead BRP Emms. But we hope for the best, right. My concern since I'm often floating miles out to sea in the Cortez is there is no one to save my butt. In US waters I have my towing insurance and they've saved me with my dead Evinrude EMM twice. See ya at the bay.

Over 90% of the time EMM/ECM failure is related voltage variation and poor grounds/connections. Heat is also a killer on electronic components.

May be headed down in a couple weeks - not taking the boat down, just some gear to shore fish and plenty of cleaning supplies!

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by 55steve]

To 55Steve

captkw - 9-21-2014 at 06:59 PM

Your correct !! its not usally the ecm falt..bad grounds,,bad cooling, high/low voltage is something they don't like...have had guys bring me their boat after all kinds of part replacement and the main issue was never dealt with in the first place !! and you MUST have the proper test tools !! and the "knack" to know what to look for !!..sorry, but its not on you tube...unless you want to throw your cash out on the water !!

Bob and Susan - 9-22-2014 at 07:47 AM

that's just NOT true...

it's on youtube

marine motors and YT

captkw - 9-22-2014 at 08:04 AM

Hola BOB..Don't you remember my post last year about you tube and air plane repair ??? my self have seen you tube vids and blogs about marine motor repair and almost pee my pants at the crap that is there...tell ya what bob....watch a YT vid and do that to your outboard..I/O and report back:o or better yet have Doug work on it...LOL:lol:

Cypress - 9-22-2014 at 08:05 AM

Just bought a used 16' Grumman Cajun Special, all welded aluminum jon boat with a tiller pull start 25 hp mercury motor and trailer. Ideal for running the bayous. Will put an aluminum deck plate on the bow for a trolling motor. Look out fish! Thanks for all the outboard motor info.

motors

captkw - 9-23-2014 at 09:35 AM

Sorry for the late reply...work,,work.....Luv2fish..a four stroke as of today is better on sipping fuel..I think that will change in the near future !! Chukie.your a rasskle rabbit..the Suzuki RE5 was a bad ass machine from the two that I have seen from big time bike riders..Also had a Gyro effect in the curves....And does anyone Know the loser from Fullerton named Doug/vamonos that's seems to be sitting on a stick ????? never have I Heard such a FOOL!! Thanks all for helping each other in this big,bad storm.......K&T

chuckie - 9-23-2014 at 09:38 AM

OK

55steve - 9-23-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Sorry for the late reply...work,,work.....Luv2fish..a four stroke as of today is better on sipping fuel..I think that will change in the near future !! Chukie.your a rasskle rabbit..the Suzuki RE5 was a bad burro machine from the two that I have seen from big time bike riders..Also had a Gyro effect in the curves....And does anyone Know the loser from Fullerton named Doug/vamonos that's seems to be sitting on a stick ????? never have I Heard such a FOOL!! Thanks all for helping each other in this big,bad storm.......K&T

Settle down Capt! I know Doug personally and he certainly is no fool.

Hola 55steve

captkw - 9-23-2014 at 02:08 PM

sounds like are friend Doug has a Ficht motor !! That's all I need to say !! LOL.. BTW you have great posts !! and BMW did make a I/O !! didn't sell worth ---t:tumble:

Doug/Vamonos - 9-25-2014 at 10:35 AM

Captkw...you're a total internet troll. You never responded about searching the internet. How could you search for one hour and not find a single post about a failed BRP EMM? I suspect you found plenty but chose to lie about it to support your loser story. Lies like this is what give mechanics such a bad name. See ya. Not worth wasting anymore of my time.