BajaNomad

mexican plated vehicle into U.S.

tecatero - 9-10-2014 at 04:20 AM

Hey nomads,
Just bought a newer truck in La Paz, has Baja plates, got paperwork in my name, got dual insurance for MX/US,.......Im a permanent resident card holder, have MX drivers license.............Any reason I would be denied into US with the vehicle ?? Trying to go to SO Cal to visit some friends for a week,,,,,,,thx

chippy - 9-10-2014 at 04:59 AM

I bring my Colima plated Truck with a Jalisco drivers license to Cali often. I´ve never had a problem.

Bruce R Leech - 9-10-2014 at 07:34 AM

go for it , I drive mine to Colorado all the time.

dasubergeek - 9-10-2014 at 11:51 AM

No issues at all.

Mulegena - 9-10-2014 at 02:26 PM

When asked to show a driver's license which does one present first, Mexican or US or other?

chuckie - 9-10-2014 at 03:23 PM

If I were a beautful woman, as you are, I would smile and ask "Which would you prefer?"

Mulegena - 9-10-2014 at 03:32 PM

Chuckie, you made my day, thanks.
You're so sweet and a good friend, but I doubt "tossing pennies to the peasants"
will cut it with a traffic cop.

Seriously, folks, when driving a legal Mexican-plated car in the US must we have a US license? What's the law here?

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Mulegena]

CP - 9-10-2014 at 03:56 PM

There was a posting not toooo long ago about a BN driving his Mex plated vehicle in CA proudly showing the CHPer who pulled him over his Mex DL or residency car and his CDL. And ended up being cited for not surrendering the CDL after changing his residence to Mex.
I may not have that perfect but its something to do a search for.

Last time I rented a card at PDX the system would not accept my very short Comondu DL number. Counter folk had to call home office to get it in. Yet the system accepted my City Club card as a Home Depot one for discount.:yes:

dasubergeek - 9-10-2014 at 05:06 PM

If you live in MX and have a MX driver's license, show your MX driver's license. Be prepared to prove you are in the U.S. legally.

yellowklr - 9-10-2014 at 06:07 PM

If you are driving a MEX VEH show a MEX DL………
No reason to show or even have a CA DL if you aren't a resident

alacran - 9-10-2014 at 07:23 PM

I agree with yellowkir.

BajaGringo - 9-10-2014 at 07:30 PM

I no longer hold a California Drivers License, just a BC license which I show if stopped NOB. I haven't had a problem renting a car with it and in fact have done so at several different airports in the US...