BajaNomad

TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada auto repair

SFandH - 9-10-2014 at 06:44 AM

My high mileage 2003 F-250's check engine light is on and the error code indicates the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. The whole exhaust system needs to be replaced for that matter. It's noisy and rusted.

Does anybody have any experience with a muffler shop in TJ, Rosarito, or Ensenada that is up to the job, including replacing exhaust sensors if needed?

I'm hoping to save some money on an expensive repair before I head down to BCS this winter.

Thanks.

nandopedal - 9-10-2014 at 08:04 AM

Hi there I just did something very similar recently with one of my vehicles, here is my suggestion: Buy your converter and sensors in the States there is a number of online stores with very good prices, there is a muffler shop in Tijuana centrally located and they do a really good job "Mofles Rex" they are located on the corner of Andres Quintana Roo and Boulevard Agua Caliente which is exactly 6 blocks from Avenida revolucion (Av Revoulcion turns into Blvd Agua Caliente) you can look it up on google maps and they also have a web site "www.moflesrex.com" In my case it would have been 1500.00 dlls. in San Diego and with parts and labor I got it done for 350.00 in TJ

BajaGringo - 9-10-2014 at 08:44 AM

I second Mofles Rex. Have used them a couple of times and both jobs were very professional. Over the years I have sent lots of customers their way with no complaints except for having to wait a bit because they were so busy on a Saturday. Best to go there mid-week if you are in a hurry...

SFandH - 9-10-2014 at 09:07 AM

Thanks guys. Good idea to buy parts online, especially the catalytic converter, that way I can make sure I'm getting one that will pass a CA smog test.

Mofles Rex it is!

Pep Boys

BajaBreak - 9-10-2014 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Thanks guys. Good idea to buy parts online, especially the catalytic converter, that way I can make sure I'm getting one that will pass a CA smog test.

Mofles Rex it is!

I spent a bit of money prepping my new/old baja rig, and got good deals from Pep Boys. Got a converter for around $150 for a '93 Chevy and passed CA Smog earlier this year. Paid a little extra just to get the direct fit one, was worth it! But maybe they could make a universal one fit with some Baja engineering...

Select their online store (lower prices) if they have a free shipping offer. It was free for over $75 orders on mine. Good deals ($25 off $100 orders for mine) on online orders too. If no free shipping probably better to select a store to pick up from :)