BajaNomad

Mulege checking all vehicles

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 01:28 PM

The police are checking for current plates and drivers licenses of all drivers. You must display a front plate if your state issues one. They know the states that do not. Ticket is 245 pesos for expired plates, you get a ticket, present to admin office then cashier and they give you your license back. They do not ask for registration, insurance or immigration status papers. You can not drive your can until it is legally plated.

chuckie - 9-11-2014 at 01:38 PM

Theres another one of those "They'll never do that in Mulege" thingys....

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2014 at 02:08 PM

Imagine that! Thanks for sharing, we had the plate put on the fender last time we were in La Paz and got hassled.

Maron - 9-11-2014 at 02:13 PM

thanks for the info

peace

mojo_norte - 9-11-2014 at 02:26 PM

Are they doing this out on the highway or in town?

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 03:30 PM

This is in town, in front of the police station. Sometimes they set up under the bridge also. They normally wave the gringos thru, but now they are checking everyone.

bajaguy - 9-11-2014 at 03:35 PM

Where do they put all the cars with expired California registrations and cars driven by people with no drivers licenses???

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
This is in town, in front of the police station. Sometimes they set up under the bridge also. They normally wave the gringos thru, but now they are checking everyone.

chuckie - 9-11-2014 at 03:36 PM

Way it oughta be....

Mulegena - 9-11-2014 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Where do they put all the cars with expired California registrations and cars driven by people with no drivers licenses???
The cars are impounded and parked behind the police station. The owner of the vehicle is contacted and has ten days to get the car's paperwork in order or lose it.

The person driving without a license is responsible for the $300peso fine.

btw, I drove past there this morning, saw the cops and they saw me.
I didn't stop and they didn't motion me over -- they know I'm good to go, I guess.

[Edited on 9-11-2014 by Mulegena]

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 04:02 PM

Code:
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy Where do they put all the cars with expired California registrations and cars driven by people with no drivers licenses??? The cars are impounded and parked behind the police station. The owner of the vehicle is contacted and has ten days to get the car's paperwork in order or lose it.

No, they are not impounding cars! I have expired plates and was told I could drive it today and come back tomorrow and possibly get permission to drive it for 30 days while I get my paper work in order.
Gringo friends have been stopped with expire drivers lic. and they are told to drive home. Mexican friends, driving us plated cars, have been stopped and they could no longer drive the car and the owner had to come and get it.
They are also enforcing wearing helmets for motos and quads.
This is a Mulege County Police operation using Mulege Police.

chuckie - 9-11-2014 at 04:22 PM

Nothing wrong with that....nothing at all.....

Mulegena - 9-11-2014 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Code:
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy Where do they put all the cars with expired California registrations and cars driven by people with no drivers licenses??? The cars are impounded and parked behind the police station. The owner of the vehicle is contacted and has ten days to get the car's paperwork in order or lose it.

No, they are not impounding cars! I have expired plates and was told I could drive it today and come back tomorrow and possibly get permission to drive it for 30 days while I get my paper work in order.
Gringo friends have been stopped with expire drivers lic. and they are told to drive home. Mexican friends, driving us plated cars, have been stopped and they could no longer drive the car and the owner had to come and get it.
They are also enforcing wearing helmets for motos and quads.
This is a Mulege County Police operation using Mulege Police.
Glad you were given a reprieve. However, that usually doesn't happen for Mexicans who lose their car on-the-spot and are always fined.

Russ - 9-11-2014 at 04:35 PM

probably be a rush on stolen plates

woody with a view - 9-11-2014 at 04:57 PM

as long as it is consistent, and not a money grab what's the problem!

mojo_norte - 9-11-2014 at 04:59 PM

So .. are folks allowed to drive Quads (ATV) unlicensed on the streets of Mulege like some Baja towns ? - Los Barriles for example..

cabobaja - 9-11-2014 at 05:15 PM

Same in Todos Santos yesterday!

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 05:18 PM

They are only stopping quads and motos to tell them to wear a helmet or get a ticket.

chuckie - 9-11-2014 at 05:24 PM

Good idea...

Pescador - 9-11-2014 at 05:48 PM

What do you mean by Mulege County Police. You have municipal police, Ministerial (which are federal) and Federales (Also Federal, known as pandas with the black and white cars).

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 06:14 PM

The Mulege police trucks are marked " Mulege municipal police"". The ones from Santa Rosalia are marked " Mulege something else........
I was told the SR police were for the county of Mulege. No? The main cop today was from SR, the others were local cops.

Marinero - 9-11-2014 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
They are only stopping quads and motos to tell them to wear a helmet or get a ticket.

Stopping quads everywhere, like off-road, or on the streets?

willyAirstream - 9-11-2014 at 06:27 PM

Just in town Marinero.

rts551 - 9-11-2014 at 06:59 PM

glad to see it happening.

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 07:12 PM

Why would anyone be glad to see this happening? Sounds like arbitrary enforcement. What do they care if the Americans pay registration in the USA? I guess they have all the other crime stamped out and have some free time... :)

Mulegena - 9-11-2014 at 07:13 PM

I'm glad to keep my pickup legal, no worries, but this brings up a concern shared with others. Not one to ascribe to a double-standard but I feel concern for those who are impacted hardest by this.

The locals don't intentionally flaunt the law by and large, but it's so hard financially for so many to live up to the law's exact letter. in a society that is already overburdened by its quest of basic needs of living, it's even more difficult when a family's transportation is taken away and fines are levied.

rts551 - 9-11-2014 at 07:31 PM

so....when they smack into your car...where is the burden/ no registration, no insurance. hit and run has happened to more than one. They care loco because it is the law.

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 07:34 PM

Are you saying they are enforcing mexican vehicle insurance? That is not what I was getting from this thread. US registration has no bearing on collision insurance in Mexico

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 07:52 PM

Helmet enforcement, too? That is a new one in Mexico. Jajajajaja

mojo_norte - 9-11-2014 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
so....when they smack into your car...where is the burden/ no registration, no insurance. hit and run has happened to more than one. They care loco because it is the law.

Ditto on Quads - Quads are off road vehicles - can you legally drive a Quad on the streets in your town USA or Canada - no

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 08:15 PM

Mojo-
You realize Mexico has a different legal system, right?
It is NOT the USA or Canada.
And that is one of her beautiful qualities!
If you want USA, stay there

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2014 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
What do they care if the Americans pay registration in the USA? I guess they have all the other crime stamped out and have some free time... :)

Why should gringos have special status to drive their USA car to Mexico to use it forever in Mexico without maintaining registration in any country?????

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 08:46 PM

Goat-
I would understand if Mexicans required some permit in their country for long term visitors. Just don't get why they would care if it's current in USA....

Mulegena - 9-11-2014 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Goat-
I would understand if Mexicans required some permit in their country for long term visitors. Just don't get why they would care if it's current in USA....
Why? Because they can. Think $$$.

It'll be fun this winter to see if they make all the quad-driving winter visitors wear helmets.

Tioloco - 9-11-2014 at 09:00 PM

Helmets seem laughable considering all of the other "at your own risk" things in Mexico.

Cliffy - 9-12-2014 at 01:07 AM

Many quads qualify for street legal status in the USA in many states. Here in AZ lots of quads occupy the streets in resort areas legally.

chuckie - 9-12-2014 at 02:34 AM

Quads on the street are legal in my home town in Colorado. Must have current sticker, not driven on State or Federal hiways.......The law in Mexico re: current US registration is not new..Neither is the gringowhine.

Russ - 9-12-2014 at 05:48 AM

Just another scheme to put money in the coffers of this municipality.

rts551 - 9-12-2014 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Are you saying they are enforcing mexican vehicle insurance? That is not what I was getting from this thread. US registration has no bearing on collision insurance in Mexico

valid registration IS required for insurance. Guess you never had an unregistered car hit you (in lets say San Quintin) and have everyone poor out and head for the hills because it is unregistered.

wilderone - 9-12-2014 at 07:18 AM

"Just another scheme to put money in the coffers of this municipality"
Or follow-up to orders to find stolen cars, stolen goods (quads). Why would an owner of a vehicle think they don't have to register it and comply with the most basic tenets of vehicle ownership? Maybe slow down the stolen car highway into Mexico if the end result is that it will eventually be confiscated because it can't be legally registered in Mexico. We would all win with lower insurance. Go get 'em.

ncampion - 9-12-2014 at 07:40 AM

A couple of times in Loreto the police set up stops at major intersections and stop every vehicle (Mexican and US) asking for registration and drivers license. Not sure what happens if you don't have it current, but I think it's a good thing.
As for helmets on quads, I say let those idiots ride without one if that's how much they value their head. I always wear a helmet when I ride my moto even just a short trip around town. I saw a sign in a motorcycle shop some time ago that said, "If you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet". Doesn't take much of a head hit to scramble your brain.

KurtG - 9-12-2014 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Helmet enforcement, too? That is a new one in Mexico. Jajajajaja

Not true, I got a ticket in Cabo 15 years ago for not wearing a helmet. Went directly to the police station and paid the $7-8 fine.

Mulegena - 9-12-2014 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Just another scheme to put money in the coffers of this municipality.
Yes, this is true. It all goes to the county seat in Sta. Rosalia.

It bothers me that the poor local people are the most impacted by this. For them, its tantamount to a shake-down and very serious financial burden. When a family struggles daily to put food on the table and feed itself, to further burden with this fine is troublesome to say the least.

helmets

akshadow - 9-12-2014 at 09:52 AM

Police stops and tickets for not having helmets on while riding quads are not uncommon in San Felipe. Usually when a lot of visitors and crazy traffic conditions. There are a lot of people who ride without them and never stopped.

SFandH - 9-12-2014 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion

As for helmets on quads, I say let those idiots ride without one if that's how much they value their head.

Emergency room doctors call motorcyclists who ride without a helmet "organ donors". It applies somewhat to quad riders too, at least at high speed.

Pescador - 9-12-2014 at 01:03 PM

As with a lot of things here, this gets easily blown out of proportion and people's paranoia comes to the forefront. First there is not a county police like the sherif department in the US. This is the Municipal police for the township of Mulege whose main office is in Santa Rosalia. This practice has been going on for years and we see the same group of people doing this on a regular basis in Santa Rosalia. They also go to the smaller towns like Mulege, San Bruno, San Lucas, and I have seen them in Santa Agueda as well as San Jose De Magdelena. Who knows why the commandante from Santa Rosalia gets a wild hair but a group shows up, probably because of someone making a complaint after getting stopped and fined so they have to go out to the smaller towns and do a check. Because I know a lot of the police, I will sometimes get stopped and checked,and sometimes not, depends on who is doing the checking.

As Mulegena commented, it is very expensive to properly register, import and keep everything up to date and for years the locals have been very good about taking the road less travelled, literally, to avoid the high cost of registering. There are two groups that have quasi permission from the federales to help with that and they are Onapaffa and Anapromex and they offer a sort of license plate for cars that are "in the process" of being registered. They also issue a special drivers license as well.

But this is more of an issue of the new wave of checking things and while they are checking vehicles, they will also tell the quad riders about the rules, and issue tickets to offenders.

So it is not some great speed trap or license trap, in fact several of my friends claim they hate having to do that duty cause they get a lot of flack from the locals. It was also mentioned by several people on Facebook.

monoloco - 9-12-2014 at 02:40 PM

It always amazes me how many people I know will gripe about the police in Mexico, but I don't think that they are nearly as bad as in the states. Jeez, in California you'll get a $2-300 ticket in the mail for not stopping completely before turning right on a red light, I can only imagine the cries of shakedown here if someone received a 4000 peso multa for a rolling stop in Baja.

dasubergeek - 9-12-2014 at 02:54 PM

Well, and the DUI checkpoints in California are also license checkpoints.

mulegemichael - 9-12-2014 at 04:47 PM

we are on our way back from a monthlong flyfishing trip to montana and today were traveling through southeastern oregon on our way back north to our summertime home in sequim, washington.....my lovely bride happened to notice a roadside sign that said," fine for littering, $6250 max"....in oregon....the highways seem so clean down there...i wonder why?.....so i'll pay a "non helmet" fine everyday that i putput from my house in mulege to buy some milk and eggs with a max speed of MAYBE 5mph down the river road...i really strongly feel that i will not roll my 4 wheeler nor will i endanger anyone else...but helmets are for fast drivers...not me..please understand!...i beg you!

msteve1014 - 9-12-2014 at 04:50 PM

What happens when a fast driver squashes you flat as he flies along dreaming of winning the Baja 1000?

Marc - 9-12-2014 at 05:27 PM

Are they stopping cars 24/7 and also giving sobriety tests and checking for open containers??

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by Marc]

willyAirstream - 9-12-2014 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Just another scheme to put money in the coffers of this municipality"
Or follow-up to orders to find stolen cars, stolen goods (quads). Why would an owner of a vehicle think they don't have to register it and comply with the most basic tenets of vehicle ownership? Maybe slow down the stolen car highway into Mexico if the end result is that it will eventually be confiscated because it can't be legally registered in Mexico. We would all win with lower insurance. Go get 'em.

Exactly. This is the law and they are enforcing it for everyone. No free gringo passes, no big deal to comply. After talking to the Chief of Police and the delegato, they suggested Onapaffa and Anapromex plates. Onapaffa takes about an hour, you need the title, a drivers lic. usa or mex, proof of residence ie utility bill and bring you and the car for photos.

ncampion - 9-12-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i really strongly feel that i will not roll my 4 wheeler nor will i endanger anyone else...but helmets are for fast drivers...not me..please understand!...i beg you!

So, no offense meant, but you feel you have the $10 head?

"What happens when a fast driver squashes you flat as he flies along dreaming of winning the Baja 1000?"

This happened to a couple we know in Loreto a week or so ago. T-boned by a car in their Razor, survived, thank God, major injuries, long recovery. I'm totally against the government telling me I must wear a helmet, but think that it's stupid not to. I don't believe in legislating stupidity.

mulegemichael - 9-12-2014 at 07:25 PM

i have a MINIMUM $10 head....do i hear $12?...gimme $12...anyone...anyone...geez...can we have fun here too??

Mulegena - 9-12-2014 at 08:31 PM

Well, MulegeMichael, word is fish fear you and women love ya' -- a certain BeachGirl says -- we'll see if the traffic cops feel the same.
Priceless, babee!

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by Mulegena]

chuckie - 9-13-2014 at 04:10 AM

7.75, throw in a pound of chopped liver.....

bajabuddha - 9-13-2014 at 04:33 AM

When it comes to ATVs and bikes, fast wrecks kill you anyway; it's the slow ones that a helmet saves your brainpan (or what's left of it). Better to be 'told what to do' and come away with cognizance than end up a rutabaga because you rolled at 20 mph and busted your cabbage. Pride goeth before the fall.

Tioloco - 9-13-2014 at 06:47 AM

Better left to personal choice and responsibility reference the helmet.

bajabuddha - 9-13-2014 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Better left to personal choice and responsibility reference the helmet.

Tio, in my youth I agreed wholeheartedly; freedom of choice and all. The seatbelt laws were enacted to save lives; some still refuse to wear them in spite of fines. Helmet laws not only protect lives, but protect tax payers too. If a crash survivor is in a state of constant care eventually even the best of insurance will run out, and the "personal responsibility" shifts to the public taxes to take up paying for years of medical care.
Everyone loves the wind in the hair, the bugs in the teeth... and everyone complains of the cost of paying for other's 'freebies'. There are lots and lots of 'freebies' hooked to tubes and in permanent facilities from 'donor cycles' and ATVs. In EMS we called them 'Job Security'.
I do believe Mexico requires helmets (at least Baja and Baja Sur).

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by bajabuddha]

Tioloco - 9-13-2014 at 07:58 AM

Bajabuddha
I think with that rationale we may as well ban all forms of dangerous transportation. Safer if everyone rode the bus. Then we wouldn't have to worry if someone was irresponsible enough to eat while driving or using phone while driving or....... Being distracted by talking to their passengers or.....
Remember, this is a forum about Mexico. Many of us are enamored with the freedom associated with her lack of regulation. Hope not too many of the American ideas are implemented down here.

mojo_norte - 9-13-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Bajabuddha
I think with that rationale we may as well ban all forms of dangerous transportation. Safer if everyone rode the bus. Then we wouldn't have to worry if someone was irresponsible enough to eat while driving or using phone while driving or....... Being distracted by talking to their passengers or.....
Remember, this is a forum about Mexico. Many of us are enamored with the freedom associated with her lack of regulation. Hope not too many of the American ideas are implemented down here.

I'm with this guy - pro choice on helmets. Safety is relative and a judgement call.
Anyway, good luck enforcing helmet laws in Gringo enclaves with most of the population buzzing around town in shorts and flip flops..

alacran - 9-13-2014 at 10:41 AM

Thus far there are no license plates for quads. And not required.

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2014 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Bajabuddha

I'm with this guy - pro choice on helmets. Safety is relative and a judgement call.
Anyway, good luck enforcing helmet laws in Gringo enclaves with most of the population buzzing around town in shorts and flip flops..

Let stupid people be stupid. And let's all hope the stupid people are killed by their stupid mistakes before they reproduce and spread their stupid genes in the pool. Can we ban stupid people from using the roads used by smart people?

Bob and Susan - 9-13-2014 at 01:30 PM

texas helmet rules...over age 21

riders are not required to wear a helmet with proof of successful completion of rider training
or hold medical insurance covering injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident
Texas Transportation Code, Title 7, Subtitle G, Chapter 661

Kgryfon - 9-13-2014 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
What happens when a fast driver squashes you flat as he flies along dreaming of winning the Baja 1000?

Probably the same thing that would happen if he were walking. Should he wear a helmet while walking, too? I'm not against helmets, BTW. But there should be some room for leeway when it makes sense. You cannot eliminate all risk from life and still live.

msteve1014 - 9-13-2014 at 04:16 PM

It sounds like the law is you need a helmet. Are gringos exempt? I do not wear a helmet all the time, but you will not hear me crying if I get a ticket for something I knew was an infraction. What makes sense? If you go slow you can break other laws?

Maron - 9-13-2014 at 07:45 PM

Just wondering,

Which genius gets to decide who is stupid and who is not??

Peace

mulegemichael - 9-13-2014 at 07:46 PM

between jus' U an me...der ain' no stinkin' helmet fine in mulege!....we'll see...but i think it's a fluffin' of new feathers...my roll of the dice...i AM ready to send down 4 helmets if i'm wrong...so i am not fighting this new reg i'm just saying we have seen it a coupla times before......and if i was flying down hwy 1 on a 4wheeler i would be wrapped in kevlar....but i am slowly creeping my way toward town along the river on a path....put put put....looking at the lisa in the river...put put put.......a helmet???....puleeeeze??

Helmets in Mulege

Mulegena - 9-13-2014 at 08:02 PM

@ MulegeMichael et al : Word among the locals is that Transito is confiscating quads and motorcycles that are being ridden without helmets in Mulege. When the owner goes to the local station with helmet in hand and ready to pay a fine (unknown amount, probably negotiable) he/she can have their cycle back.

Life in Mulege is much different from summer to winter. I've no idea how that practice will be enforced in the future (notice I didn't say "law"), but that's my understanding of things now, today, and this weekend.

Tioloco - 9-13-2014 at 09:45 PM

Mulegemiguel
Just take the helmets for an in case u need situation. Mulege is too cool a place to let a BS regulation ruin the day.

dorado50 - 9-13-2014 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Let stupid people be stupid. And let's all hope the stupid people are killed by their stupid mistakes before they reproduce and spread their stupid genes in the pool. Can we ban stupid people from using the roads used by smart people?

You sir are one angry human being! I feel for you, GOD BLESS.

chuckie - 9-14-2014 at 01:37 PM

I only drive on the roads marked for "Smart People"

mojo_norte - 9-14-2014 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dorado50
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

You sir are one angry human being! I feel for you, GOD BLESS.

he's the 'Goat' a Nomad classic :yes:

willyAirstream - 9-24-2014 at 12:35 PM

To answer some u2us and emails....A Onappafa,, is good in all of baja, it is not good on the mainland or the usa. Cost is 1750 for first year, 400 for second year and free after that, but you must register each year. New pics basicaly. You will need proof of residency such as a utility bill, car title and the vehicle for a photo and they also take your photo. However, they are very lenient at this time, any evidence of ownership will work if you lost your title, ie registration, insurance papers etc. If you have lost everything, take a person to vouch for you. If you do not need to take this car out of baja, it is a good solution to the importation problem for PR visas. The process takes 5 minutes. The office is by the arch, however the personnel stay on the porch of the restaurant under the arch. Hint, take her a cold coka cola, nothing else needed. :)

Sweetwater - 9-24-2014 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
To answer some u2us and emails....A Onappafa,, is good in all of baja, it is not good on the mainland or the usa. Cost is 1750 for first year, 400 for second year and free after that, but you must register each year. New pics basicaly. You will need proof of residency such as a utility bill, car title and the vehicle for a photo and they also take your photo. However, they are very lenient at this time, any evidence of ownership will work if you lost your title, ie registration, insurance papers etc. If you have lost everything, take a person to vouch for you. If you do not need to take this car out of baja, it is a good solution to the importation problem for PR visas. The process takes 5 minutes. The office is by the arch, however the personnel stay on the porch of the restaurant under the arch. Hint, take her a cold coka cola, nothing else needed. :)

Good to hear that things are stable and getting back to normal, amigo....