BajaNomad

Any news about Bahia de Los Angeles?

Pages:  1  

Bedman - 9-15-2014 at 01:59 PM

Several people have emailed me asking about the bay. I don't know what's going on and there hasn't been any response from those people that are there.

I was told the storm should drop 8 to 12 inches of rain. I don't think the town can handle that much water.

bajabuddha - 9-15-2014 at 02:06 PM

It probably won't be there for another 18-24 hours, Bedman. As in, noon-ish on the 16th before the biggest part of it..... just guessing on this end.... good luck.

redhilltown - 9-15-2014 at 02:19 PM

Looks like it is going to be a good test for the new road and the bridges across the washes... and a real test for the old road between San Felipe and Puertecitos.

Hope all stay safe...if anything close to these rainfall predictions there will be some serious flash floods...not pretty.

StuckSucks - 9-15-2014 at 02:32 PM

Sorry, repost

woody with a view - 9-15-2014 at 03:36 PM

sheee-it! Tuesday 5pm looks bad!

24baja - 9-16-2014 at 09:22 AM

Anything from BOLA yet?

Martyman - 9-16-2014 at 09:26 AM

Nothing on Mia's site.

24baja - 9-16-2014 at 10:20 AM

Heard from my friend Mando who said he had heard from two other friends @0900 today saying they had left BOLA at 0330 and it was blowing like a MOFO and raining. They returned via hwy 5 and gave no news of the roads or weather in that area.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by 24baja]

desertcpl - 9-16-2014 at 11:17 AM

Weather channel just now

a alert for BOLA

must be on them now,, winds 50 mph

larryC - 9-16-2014 at 12:58 PM

Power in town was out last night from 11 to 6 this morn, but no word on damage yet. I'll try to learn more. Hope the south bay isn't washed away.
Larry

24baja - 9-16-2014 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Power in town was out last night from 11 to 6 this morn, but no word on damage yet. I'll try to learn more. Hope the south bay isn't washed away.
Larry

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the info and we, like you, hope all of the bay is spared significant damage. We are heading down on sep 23 to oct 10. Brett and Connie

24baja - 9-16-2014 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
My friend sent me an email stating 8"+ so far and damage in town due to flash flooding.
He is not there but he's pretty hooked up.

I got the same email. We are heading down next week if you hear of any needs u2u me. Connie

Bahia de Los Angeles - Odile update 9/16

Paulina - 9-16-2014 at 07:08 PM

I have info to pass on from Abraham. He is not there, just left yesterday. He communicated with two people in town via satellite phone/internet hooked up to generator power.

6:30pm - Rain has stopped, winds are slowing down. There is no access to town right now. The town is cut off. The main arroyo flooded (going to the dump), a few cars got taken away trying to cross.

No injuries, no fatalities.

Some houses north of town had to be evacuated. A river came down close to Daggetts.

Houses in town were flooded. Rayna's restaurant filled with water, waist deep.

There is no electricity, 30 posts are supposed to be down due to wind, "No electricity for a while. No refrigerators in town, no water makers. Depending on the access, it could get unpleasant. Lot's of people are worried."

He stated that the rain gauge in Gonzaga Bay, Punta Final is showing 20" already.

There are no propane fridges left in town, so that is not an option.

Sailboats went to Don Juan.

No news from the south end of the bay.

I will update this post if I hear anymore info. Dern is going to try to talk to some folks via hamster talk tonight.

P>*)))>{

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 07:08 PM

I just got a short message from Guillermo Galvan Jr. and he said that he heard that the the houses north of town are the ones that got hit more.

Paulina - 9-16-2014 at 07:09 PM

I started a new thread. Oops. Just got done talking with Doc. Maybe Doug might move it here. Sorry.

P>*)))>{

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 07:11 PM

Just got an update. This was just posted on Facebook by Dern... "Been talking with Doc. He just got off the phone with Guillermos wife. (She has the generator going and Sat phone). Lots of rain. The town is stranded. The big arroyo just north of town is a rager. They had to evacuate folks from the north end of the bay. Some structural damage here and there. Some major flooding of some homes .No power, phone, internet etc. Some thirty power poles are down. So I'd imagine no power for a while. The rain has stopped now and the wind is slowing down. Docs waiting for some intel of the south bay."

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Bob53]

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 07:14 PM

Thanks Paulina.

Santiago - 9-16-2014 at 07:19 PM

Thank you very much. We are very worried along with many others.

woody with a view - 9-16-2014 at 07:26 PM

sheeez......

24baja - 9-16-2014 at 07:27 PM

Wow so sad.

Doug/Vamonos - 9-16-2014 at 07:29 PM

Robert...you're pretty much on high ground so I suspect ur okay in terms of water and mud. With the improvements Jay made I suspect the drainage in the camp is a little bit different this time around. The last major storm left a ton of mud on my place. This should be interesting...

Paulina - 9-16-2014 at 08:10 PM

Dern and I were trying to count the washes between town and the south end of the bay too. I'm betting the entire road is toast. I hope those folks in the trailer behind the red mountain, Ramon and Maria, came out ok.

P>*)))>{

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 08:11 PM

I just got off the phone with Aurora Diaz and she said that the road south of town is washed away and not passable. She also said that highway 1 has washed away at Catavina, San Vicente and south of El Rosario.

horntoad - 9-16-2014 at 08:14 PM

Thanks Paulina...I appreciate the update. What a bummer...I hope everyone in town is doing okay. Any word from Casa Diaz? Hope Chubasco and family are all okay, along with our buddy Pepe Smith. Pepe was supposed to come up to San Diego this weekend....Might have to try and get down this weekend provided the roads are passable. Watched the storm track on weather underground, and the eye of the storm literally passed right through the inner bay moving North...Man, not good news for our friends in Bahia. I hope the water subsides quick so people can get in and out of town, and supplies can be brought in.

Bob53 - 9-16-2014 at 08:32 PM

Chubasco and family are fine.

Pacifico - 9-16-2014 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for the update!

Alm - 9-16-2014 at 08:37 PM

Makes sense. North of the bay is where mountains come right to the water. South end too, but the mountains open up towards Las Animas valley.

This path across the LA bay is unusual for tropical storms, no?

Doug/Vamonos - 9-16-2014 at 08:50 PM

Well...the freshly graded road south of town was nice for three months...I knew it was too good to last! Best wishes to everyone there.

brewer - 9-16-2014 at 10:23 PM

I'm in Gonzaga and can believe that 20" fell. It's 10 pm and it kicked up hard again. My house is flooded from leaks. Can't stop wind driven rain. It's going to be a long night emptying buckets.
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I have info to pass on from Abraham. He is not there, just left yesterday. He communicated with two people in town via satellite phone/internet hooked up to generator power.

6:30pm - Rain has stopped, winds are slowing down. There is no access to town right now. The town is cut off. The main arroyo flooded (going to the dump), a few cars got taken away trying to cross.

No injuries, no fatalities.

Some houses north of town had to be evacuated. A river came down close to Daggetts.

Houses in town were flooded. Rayna's restaurant filled with water, waist deep.

There is no electricity, 30 posts are supposed to be down due to wind, "No electricity for a while. No refrigerators in town, no water makers. Depending on the access, it could get unpleasant. Lot's of people are worried."

He stated that the rain gauge in Gonzaga Bay, Punta Final is showing 20" already.

There are no propane fridges left in town, so that is not an option.

Sailboats went to Don Juan.

No news from the south end of the bay.

I will update this post if I hear anymore info. Dern is going to try to talk to some folks via hamster talk tonight.

P>*)))>{

Doug/Vamonos - 9-17-2014 at 06:30 AM

Look at Google Earth and zoom out a little. Then you start to see the huge washes and drainages that go through/near Geckos. Holy cow. Not only that, but when I run there I go over/through a lot of dry washes all up and down the beach. Seems like every house has one nearby. I'll be down there in three weeks and take a ton of pics. Wish I could go sooner but have work to do.

larryC - 9-17-2014 at 07:33 AM

Kevin
Good luck, I hope you have no real damage. Let us know how things are up there in Gonzaga.
Larry

Desertbull - 9-17-2014 at 08:36 AM

Thanks...keep us updated

David A. - 9-17-2014 at 10:14 AM

Doug,
Stevo, Berguise, and Phil are going down a week from Thursday, if the roads are open. They will be able to give you a heads up on road conditions.
If they don't make it out to the campo, please take a couple of picks of our place. We can't get down until December.

Wiles - 9-17-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by horntoad
Thanks Paulina...I appreciate the update. What a bummer...I hope everyone in town is doing okay. Any word from Casa Diaz? Hope Chubasco and family are all okay, along with our buddy Pepe Smith. Pepe was supposed to come up to San Diego this weekend....Might have to try and get down this weekend provided the roads are passable. Watched the storm track on weather underground, and the eye of the storm literally passed right through the inner bay moving North...Man, not good news for our friends in Bahia. I hope the water subsides quick so people can get in and out of town, and supplies can be brought in.

If Pepe is coming to San Diego please U2U me a contact number. Would definitely like to see him. Have known him for 35 years. Known Paulina about that long too. Geesh, we are getting old.:wow:

55steve - 9-17-2014 at 10:40 AM

Pics of our place in Gecko would be appreciated - I'm hoping Steve & Phil will get some.

woody with a view - 9-17-2014 at 11:00 AM

yep, I can't get down until 10-17. looks like a working vacation is in store!

Alm - 9-17-2014 at 11:21 AM

Nothing yet?

Which "big arroyo North of town" was raging, - the one across from La Gringa?

Bob53 - 9-17-2014 at 11:43 AM

I heard somewhere that there was a lot of water running through Daggett's.

David K - 9-17-2014 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Nothing yet?

Which "big arroyo North of town" was raging, - the one across from La Gringa?

I would think it is the canyon that the highway uses... that empties all the interior area east of the divide where the other side goes to the dry lake bed (not dry anymore, probably!) Laguna Agua Amarga.

harbormaster - 9-17-2014 at 12:00 PM

Hey Brewer,
Since your in Gonzaga can you give me an update? I have a place in Punta Bufeo. Any storm surge or water in the places at Gonzaga from the bay? The WX station at Punta Final shows 50" of rain in the last 24 hours. I was hoping the gauge is broken.
Take good care

woody with a view - 9-17-2014 at 12:03 PM

I think brewer is in pta final.

gator - 9-17-2014 at 12:30 PM

This is from Congrejos property in BOLA. Pedro and family are ok.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by gator]

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by BajaNomad]

woody with a view - 9-17-2014 at 12:56 PM

WOW!

what a mess. gonna be interesting to see if the entire area sheeted water like that or just the drainages.

24baja - 9-17-2014 at 03:20 PM

Thanks Gator. Are you down there or heading down? We leave the 23rd for bahia. Hope to be there until the 10 th. Connie and Brett

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by BajaNomad]

Bob53 - 9-17-2014 at 03:23 PM

Here are a few pictures posted on facebook today...

mtgoat666 - 9-17-2014 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Makes sense. North of the bay is where mountains come right to the water. South end too, but the mountains open up towards Las Animas valley.

This path across the LA bay is unusual for tropical storms, no?

perhaps unusual in the memory of residents. in desert environment of central baja major rain (flow) events will be decades to 100s of years apart.

the whole town is built on alluvial fans, would not be surprised if most of the channels flowed, some channels filled with sediment and ceased to flow, and in other places new channels formed. that's the way it is.

so before you rebuild on the fan, just consider it will happen again, and no one knows when.

David K - 9-17-2014 at 03:31 PM

The Bay of Angels looks like the devil!

Doug/Vamonos - 9-17-2014 at 03:38 PM

Geez. That bay is gonna be filthy. I can't imagine the tonnage of pollutants and trash that washed into it. Very sad.

desertcpl - 9-17-2014 at 03:42 PM

terrible

don't think i would go swimming for awhile

harbormaster - 9-17-2014 at 03:55 PM

I have heard from neighbors on the Punta Bufeo Beach that although they got about 10 inches of rain there is little damage to the houses there. only wind driven rain or leaky roofs that aloud rain into homes. All solar panels and roof attachments are good. They reported 50 plus MPH winds most of the night. Everyone is safe. Wish this was the new further south.

gator - 9-17-2014 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
Thanks Gator. Are you down there or heading down? We leave the 23rd for bahia. Hope to be there until the 10 th. Connie and Brett

Hi 24baja, I'm not in bahia. I'd like to head down to help out but I'm hearing the roads are in really bad shape. Will wait a few days to see what I hear. Plus I really don't want to meet Mr. Polo in person.

Alm - 9-17-2014 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Geez. That bay is gonna be filthy. I can't imagine the tonnage of pollutants and trash that washed into it. Very sad.

Yes. Fuel from trucks, boats and generators, acid from el-cheapo batteries in offgrid homes (I doubt anybody is using AGM), household chemicals, rat poison, and all other sorts of trash. Local dumpsite is probably all in the bay by now too.

Alm - 9-17-2014 at 08:03 PM

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/3/estat...

Get this: marine helicopters were requested to rescue people trapped in arroyos.

I don't remember too many homes in "arroyos" there, mostly it's all on the sand flats. Perhaps, rancheros around the area. Or, like Mtgoat said, new flood channels are formed in sand. Anyway, total 75 to 90 homes damaged.

Marv Sherrill sent these these photos

David K - 9-17-2014 at 10:54 PM

[posted on the main Odile thread first]

Sent to me by Marv Sherrill:

Hi David – thought you would like to see the damage at our house in Bahia by Raul’s and La Ventana – Roger lost a few rooms at Villa Bahia, but this is what is looks like at our places – – please feel free to share with nomads looking for more info – pictures were taken by Suzanne Jordan and Greg Pratt, long time residents of Bahia. Thanks - Marv

From the person who sent some photos:

So sorry... lots of damage.... We didn't go inside the house yet. La Gringa out, no electricity over 7" of rain... gauge was overflowing. Ingrid had mud in her house. No sun.... more later...

PHOTOS (22):

Marv & Gail's driveway (La Ventana)

Randy's

Mark's

Mark's

Mark's

Raul

Randy

Randy/Mark

Randy

Marv/Jack

Marv & Gail's

Randy

Marv & Gail wall

Jack/Marv

Jack

Jack

Jack/Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Pete/Sharon/Brian

larryC - 9-18-2014 at 07:49 AM

I just got this email from Tony Resindez or Turtle Tony as many Nomads may know him:

> Dear everyone:
> On Sept. 16th (our independent day from Spain) Bahia de los Angeles
> was HIT very hard by "Odine" huracan that nobody will forget..!! make
> our little sleepy town in to a lake...!!...many people lost
> everything...!!
> The big problem was the hugh rivers formed by "Sierras Altas" or up
> hills with enormity force that our road from BLA to La Gringa was
> destroy...camp "Cangrejos", many little homes at low land just gone
> too....our beaches full of garabage, domestic items, some cars,
> trailers etc.
> I was asking older people if they ever seen events like that ever
> !!...they have NOT records, memories or background
> knowledge...so...pretty NEW (!!) BLA's natural event for the last > 50
> or more years...!!
> Tons of rain water, some tourist waiting to leave...just not roads
> from BLA to Hw No1.
> Non electrical..many electric post got destroy...will take long time
> to fix everything.
> Navy, Army, government people, etc..are here helping out.
> (right now).
> The old Ejido RV where our friend Dan & Lisa Goy camp with Canada
> caravans....just "gone with the wind""
> they need to plan "B" or "C"...!!..NOT only BLA many other places in
> Baja California are in trouble.
> Here at Archelon Camp only three beach palapas get destroy, new holes
> from the "rivers" or "arroyos grandes"..!!
> Our house is safe, Marcos, Alan, Pepe etc.
> The natural event was so strong and espectacular...that I feel lucky
> to seen such a natural event like this where only seen ones in our
> life time...!!
> Thank you for asking for our souls...!!
> Sincerely.
> Antonio (Tony) and Bety

thebajarunner - 9-18-2014 at 08:54 AM

Thanks for this
Our Baja Boyz stay with Antonio every year
We have formed a very close relationship with this good man
Glad to hear that the house is intact and that they are o.k.
The lovely Bety is a docent at the museum

55steve - 9-18-2014 at 09:01 AM

Doc says Gecko has minimal damage.

woody with a view - 9-18-2014 at 09:15 AM

that's incredible!!!

Doug/Vamonos - 9-18-2014 at 09:16 AM

The pics above from Marv...where exactly does he live? North of town? larry - do you have any solid news for us southside folks? I'll ask Doc. Thanks.

David K - 9-18-2014 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
The pics above from Marv...where exactly does he live? North of town? larry - do you have any solid news for us southside folks? I'll ask Doc. Thanks.

Campo La Ventana by Los Vientos hotel. North of town on La Gringa road closer to Navy Base.

Bob53 - 9-18-2014 at 11:26 AM

Here's a look at the washout at Catavina...

Desertbull - 9-18-2014 at 11:28 AM

My friend Bill Walton and his wife Pam drove out of LA Bay on Wednesday. They had to cut through the open desert at times detouring around washouts and running water but they made it home from their LA Bay house.

It took them 20+ hours to get home from LA Bay…

However, Bill is a Baja veteran and has been traveling Baja for 35 years ….

shari - 9-18-2014 at 11:29 AM

do you know when this photo was taken?

Bob53 - 9-18-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

It was posted by Blanca Diaz on Facebook today. Not sure when it was actually taken. I'll see if I can find out for ya.

Alm - 9-18-2014 at 11:47 AM

I think Tonyo ia Resendiz, not Resindez.

I'm trying to figure out the flood pattern, though it seems to be random. The whole bay in sand, flood channels appear and disappear.

From the big arroyo across the air strip the terrain descends to the sea, and also - to the South, there is good 15 or 20 meters descend from the airstrip to the town. Most water goes towards the town center and malecon and stays there because it's a low land. Homes on the beaches between town and air strip are getting run-offs from that main flood stream - which could be as much as half of that main stream, and those are random, impossible to tell where they would go next time.

Closer to La Gringa there is another big arroyo, and from there it also goes South-East, but there are fewer people there.

Somebody on Mia forum mentioned a tropical storm in 1993, but that much flood is something abnormal, in this area. I think the climate IS changing.

Relief for Bahia

VermilionSeaInstitute - 9-18-2014 at 11:57 AM

Hi there Nomads,
I am going to attempt to drive down to Bahia de los Angeles tomorrow in order to bring supplies and help to the community. If anyone knows of any community members with a specific need, please don't hesitate to let me know.
I will do my best to take pictures and bring back updated information.

Meghann McDonald

marv sherrill - 9-18-2014 at 12:10 PM

Meghann - do you have any current road conditions?? I'm hoping to go down as early as Saturday, but do not want to get stopped for hours at washouts etc - I know that the BOLA road is going to be off road for most of the way but is passable - thanks - marv

no road conditions updates yet

VermilionSeaInstitute - 9-18-2014 at 12:19 PM

Sorry Marv,
No idea what I'm going to be in for, but I'll be well equipped and ready for anything (I hope!) I'll post updates as soon as I'm able.

Meghann

P.S. My dad (Lane) says hi!

larryC - 9-18-2014 at 12:22 PM

Quote:

Doug
Marv lives up near La Gringa, right next to Los Vientos spa.
I know the road south of town down to Gecko is drivable. Ramon the gate guard at my old house has driven it and Paola and Angela the Italians over at Rincon were able to drive out and made it into town so it appears the south bay avoided the worst of the damage. Sorry but I don't have any specific info at this time. Janice and Jay are on their sailboat and have a place next door to my old place and promised they would take a look around and report back soon.
Larry

Doug/Vamonos - 9-18-2014 at 12:42 PM

Thanks. After I posted I got news that we appear to have made it through without too much damage.

Bob53 - 9-18-2014 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Ok, from what I have been told, they opened up the road to traffic yesterday morning so this pic must have been taken either earlier that morning or on Tuesday.

vacaenbaja - 9-18-2014 at 05:21 PM

Does anyone know how hard Raquel and Larry's and the surrounding houses were hit? I wonder if the airstrip survived.

Odile!

ladydi - 9-18-2014 at 07:42 PM

We have a house 3 lots North of Glendale school & got a email this afternoon saying we had No damage & No damage to our neighbors house Chris.
I also heard the Navy,Marines & Government are helping out in BOLA
Does anyone know if the road into Town is open yet?
Our thoughts & prayers go out to all

woody with a view - 9-18-2014 at 07:46 PM

road is open desert all around the pavement. you can make it with 4x4 today, prolly a sedan in a few more days.

Alm - 9-18-2014 at 07:55 PM

Can anybody remind me, where is that camp called Ejido RV that Antonio mentioned?

55steve - 9-18-2014 at 07:58 PM

Just read that it is clear driving all the way down to GN on Mex 1.

David K - 9-18-2014 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Can anybody remind me, where is that camp called Ejido RV that Antonio mentioned?

I am going to guess it is the abandoned government trailer park... right by the turtle research center. It is where the pavement once ended coming in from town. We stayed there in 1976... it was a busy place then!

MMc - 9-18-2014 at 08:45 PM

Here you go!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152495668123005&s...

Alm - 9-18-2014 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

I am going to guess it is the abandoned government trailer park... right by the turtle research center. It is where the pavement once ended coming in from town. We stayed there in 1976... it was a busy place then!

Yes, it's been abandoned for years. Occasional big rigs stopped there, because of flat paved spaces, though hookups didn't work. Paving is probably ripped now by flood channels.

Alm - 9-18-2014 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Here you go!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152495668123005&s...

Impressive. One thing is when you read that 60 homes were "affected", and another thing when local explains: "... sin casas".

Have you read the comments on looting in La Paz? Guys with machetes come in and take things that are not anything "basic". Cars, jewelry, plasma TVs.

marv sherrill - 9-19-2014 at 10:19 PM

Heading down tomorrow early Am - will post info after we review the entire affect of the storm in Bahia - Marv

Archie - 9-20-2014 at 12:20 AM

Just came back from Bahia de los Angeles, went to deliver fuel and drinking water.

Theres some major road repairs as you get closer to town, the CFE crews working really hard got power to town today at 8 pm, everybody cheered when the lights went on.

So far we havent heard of any casualty (other than the Boleo directives in Santa Rosalía), but theres a lot of damage to private property, and at least 40 families lost everything they had.

The good news? We started a temporary employment program to clean up the mess and get this people some cash, because there will not be fishing or tourism to provide food or income in the immediate future.

This image is on the beach on the back of mercado Isla, we are separating plastic, wood, metals and solid waste; we are also looking for dead animals to dispose properly.

4baja - 9-20-2014 at 05:26 AM

good news indeed. we are heading down saterday night. any gas at the two gas stations? I heard you pretty much have to bring every thing down including gas.

Santiago - 9-20-2014 at 06:11 AM

Anyone know if the town's wifi is up yet? Looking forward to your report, Steve, and hope your places are OK. I suspect I have standing water inside.

Paulina - 9-20-2014 at 06:50 AM

Thank you for the report!

TecateRay - 9-20-2014 at 07:43 AM

Any news about Costa del Sol and Victoria?

Bob53 - 9-20-2014 at 08:28 AM

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Pacifico - 9-20-2014 at 06:36 PM

Great reports and updates! Thanks everyone!

Alm - 9-20-2014 at 07:38 PM

"Town" WiFi? I thought hotels and stores each had their own WiFi via satellite dish.

Doug/Vamonos - 9-21-2014 at 07:04 AM

There is a town wifi that the ejido provides. Others may have star band or other service but the "town" has a shared wifi that often goes down and can be very slow at times. It is also accessible to many of the camps outside of town. That is what Steve is referring to.

mcfez - 9-21-2014 at 07:32 AM

Villa Bahia had only two rooms with very minor water. ...according to what Roger told me yesterday. There was something said here (or another site?) that they lost two rooms....not true.

Paulina - 9-21-2014 at 07:37 AM

Dern got a fb message last night saying the town Internet was up.

P>*)))>{

bkbend - 9-21-2014 at 11:15 AM

Video from town posted yesterday on Mia's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9J0YEx9lWs

burritomama - 9-21-2014 at 12:17 PM

Here's a site raising relief for BOLA:

https://www.causes.com/campaigns/83658-support-vsi-tropical-...

I also heard from Antonio Resendiz this morning that Meghann MacDonald is coordinating relief efforts as well. I will post more info as I get it.

burritomama - 9-21-2014 at 12:19 PM

Newspaper coverage:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldetijuana/notas/n3544283.htm

http://www.lacronica.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/21092...

Alm - 9-21-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
Video from town posted yesterday on Mia's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9J0YEx9lWs

Good video. They only went from town center to Pemex, and then back. Small red cross is where they stopped and went back.

Me thinks, future floods - in 50 years? 5 years? - will likely follow the same pattern. Big arroyo empties into the bay half a mile from air strip - red arrows on the map. The longer arrow then follows the main road to town - that "river" in the video, East of the road. Half the water, more-less, goes to town, because terrain descends there, and the town road is keeping water to the East. You can see the "river" current - it goes South. Man, this "river" is bad.

Shorter arrow is where the rest of water goes in smaller streams, as terrain descends to sea. The contours of arroyo mouth (dry on the photo) is where flood streams fan out to the East and South-East.

The area directly East of the airport they don't show on the video, I would "guess" there were multiple smaller streams there, rather than one "river".

Plus, damage from leaky roof, doesn't matter where you are.

David K - 9-22-2014 at 08:24 AM

Thanks for that great visual with GE image. It's like did they think it would never rain enough to flow the arroyo when they built the airport across it??? I see a major flood control channel (ditch) from the mouth of the canyon to the bay, near the sand spit, needed.

Alm - 9-22-2014 at 11:48 AM

David, you're reading my mind. Flood ditch was exactly what I thought. From arroyo to somewhere near sand spit. Only there is hardly any vacant land there. And they would have to humbly ask the permission of estimado senor Slim - new owner of the airport, to cut near the South end of air strip.

Nah, these ideas sound like attempts to "improve" Mexico, many had tried, and failed :)

Yes, there WILL be new and heavier Odiles, and Sandy's (remember NY flood?). Climate change doesn't necessarily bring a warmer weather, first of all it brings instability, with weather becoming more violent.

marv sherrill - 9-22-2014 at 03:44 PM

Another update: got to bola saturday afternoon - road out of town was a real mess - debris and washouts ,but they cleaned it all up yesterday! - great government response - paying townspeople to clean beaches and town etc - however there is no relief other than food and water for those that sustained a lot of damage - most are going at it alone and with friends - we are stuck at our houses with massive erosion damage - 3-4 foot drops from garage to driveway. We did meet up with Luke Jobbins and young muscle has been a godsend. We surveyed the damage on quads from the military to dagetts - every one had damage - Glendale college had their pull through garage inudated lost a truck and other stuff - but toppled trailers, mobile homes, collasped buildings, water tanks common. Beaches are filled with debris like in the picture above - I will post pictures when possible. It is very hot so work is slow for us old guys.

If church groups, off roaders or any body that can come down, clothes are needed and simply muscle to help individual households. On the surface, most look ok, but all were hit hard. The electricity is up, water stations have frest water, but we had no problem giving away a truck load of drinking water. We also brought big bags of dog food that was a help.

It is tragic, but the towns people are resilient. It will take a while to achieve normalicy - leaving thursday, but will be back asap.

bigmike58 - 9-22-2014 at 03:52 PM

Excellent!! I'm glad Luke made it!

It is amazing what can be done in just a few days.. We witnessed the instant rebuilding of Hwy 1 outside Guerrero Negro last week....

If that happened in California we would have had 3 years of kangaroo rat studies before a shovel full dirt could be put back from where it came.... I love Mexico!!

Pages:  1