BajaNomad

LA BOCANA REPORT AFTER ODILE

BajaBlanca - 9-18-2014 at 09:00 AM

What a mess - we have no phones no internet and no access out of La Bocana north or south.

cant get north from vizcaino to guerrero because of an arroyo

cant get south because many roads are washed out

right now I am one of the lucky ones with internet access via satellite at the middle school. There is no school tomorrow ....

we have no damage at all from the hurricane.it was windy at night but nothing very unusual and none of my plants even moved an inch from where they were on the porch.

sounds terrible in Cabo and my prayers go out to them.

looting
no food
no water
no exit via car nor airport since it was destroyed

I hear that Todos Santos was another one of the worst hit areas too.

my boss says that she heard from her family and nothing serious happened in Bahia asuncion

I am also told that punta abreojos was spared

so, all in all, good and bad (very bad for the south) news

Blanca

MexicoTed - 9-18-2014 at 09:40 AM

Hi Blanca,

It's terrible. I re-posted on my blog. Thanks for the update.
Ted

shari - 9-18-2014 at 10:11 AM

fantastic to hear from you Blanca. I hope to be able to get through to get home by Friday...if you have any way of contacting Juan to come to Vizcaino in the afternoon, that would be great...maybe the landline might work or radio.

Udo - 9-18-2014 at 10:30 AM

Glad you made it OK, Blanca!

Good Luck!!

EdZeranski - 9-18-2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
[

sounds terrible in Cabo and my prayers go out to them.

looting
no food
no water
no exit via car nor airport since it was destroyed

I hear that Todos Santos was another one of the worst hit areas too.

Great to hear you folks are OK.
EdZ in OB
my boss says that she heard from her family and nothing serious happened in Bahia asuncion

I am also told that punta abreojos was spared

so, all in all, good and bad (very bad for the south) news

Blanca

RedBear - 9-18-2014 at 10:10 PM

Hi Blana- just saw your post. Glad to hear all is ok in la bocana other than no cell service. Abreojos is the same. No cell or landlines as of this am. Some locals heading down from ensenada Friday. Any reports on the road into abre? Will check for updates in the morning. Myra

BajaBlanca - 9-20-2014 at 11:17 AM

Shari - I did not come back onto the internet til just now -hope you are home safe and sound.

Myra= the road from us to abre is fine and the road from 1 to abre which had an overflowing arroyo for days is now clear.

from what I hear, gasoline is still an issue as it is being rationed.

I understand that roads south from campo fischer are OK, but roads north are not. However, I have heard so many conflicting stories .....

In Mulege, two Korean El Boleo owners tried to cross an arroyo and were swept into the ocean and drowned. Those arroyos are terribly strong - attempting to cross them is tempting fate.

La Paz has many areas with no elec or water according to the sponsored college students. Classes have been suspended for at least a week and they are headed home to Abre and La Bocana.

cell phone and landline service came back yesterday but no internet for the locals yet. I feel very lucky to have access via the school.

rts551 - 9-20-2014 at 11:52 AM

Blanca, where did you the road was pen. As of this morning, it was still closed with the crews from La Bocana and Abreojos still working on the 2 major breaks. (pictures over on facebook)

rts551 - 9-20-2014 at 02:32 PM

road just opened with trucks rolling in with supplies. now if the water line would be fixed

BAJACAT - 9-22-2014 at 10:37 PM

stay strong Blanca..

Whale-ista - 9-23-2014 at 12:46 AM

Glad LB is relatively ok. Be safe!

BajaBlanca - 9-23-2014 at 06:50 AM

and things are just rolling along- phones are back on, cell phones are back on, water is back on, roads are passable both north and south, but internet which was rumored to be back yesterday was intermittent and really not functional yet. I am very lucky to have access to the satellite internet at school.

all in all - we were so lucky and I am amazed at how Mexicans work to make roads passable......FAST.

Russ - 9-23-2014 at 07:43 AM

Blanca, What satellite internet does the school use I want to get something that work and Hughes ain't it?