BajaNomad

La Paz fleet

weebray - 9-19-2014 at 08:46 PM

We have not seen any reports here about the cruising community here in La Paz bay so here a little first hand information. We went up on the mountain to look down on the bay and counted fourteen boats up on the beach on the mogote. We know of one captain that went down with his ship. His name was Gunter and he was an icon here. He was a good man and had a wonderful spark about him. Another boat is missing and apparently two people aboard are missing. No word yet here. It would appear that a major portion of the fleet has suffered in this storm. Nevertheless salvage operations are in full swing here and the fleet is pulling strongly together. I am hoping someone can fill in the blanks here, if not we will try to keep nomads up to date.

apple - 9-20-2014 at 08:31 AM

There has been some comprehensive updates on Latitude 38's site.
I believe the body of one of the missing cruisers was found yesterday. http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/LectronicLat.lasso

BajaBlanca - 9-20-2014 at 11:04 AM

I just read that a British woman was found in the waters of the bay -presumably fell off her boat into the water.

I understand she brings the number of deaths due to Odile to 5.

weebray - 9-20-2014 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I just read that a British woman was found in the waters of the bay -presumably fell off her boat into the water.

I understand she brings the number of deaths due to Odile to 5.

That is true Blanca. Her name was Simone off the boat Tabasco which has beached on the magote. Her husband Paul is still missing. She was found in the mangroves. Their dingy has been recovered. The fleet now has two confirmed fatalities and one still missing. Additionally Don Mitchel of the M/V Sara Anne fell and suffered a blood clot on the brain. He is in intensive care here in La Paz in a coma. He is a past commodore and current treasurer of Club Cruceros.