BajaNomad

Ferry: Guaymas to Santa Rosalia

durangobaja - 9-20-2014 at 09:08 PM

I'm thinking of taking the ferry to Santa Rosalia from Guaymas.
How do I handle temporary importation tag?
Anybody have phone number or website for making reservations?
Thanks.

David K - 9-20-2014 at 09:19 PM

Think you are okay to Guaymas... called the Sonora Free Zone.

Johannes - 9-20-2014 at 10:05 PM

http://www.ferrysantarosalia.com/
I think you do not need temp importation if you do not drive south of Guyamas. The following map and description shows the map of "Border Zone" or "Free Trade Zone" where you can drive your car without the temporary importation tag. That is basically the 4 lane highway from Nogales to the ferry in Guyamas. The highway is the is the east border of the free zone.

rhintransit - 9-21-2014 at 06:10 AM

anybody know if the ferry and its dock are functional? hope it was in Guaymas during the storm.

bajabuddha - 9-21-2014 at 07:06 AM

Last time I travelled to Guaymas (been 5 - 6 years ago) there was a very large 'get everything you need' station on the highway just south of Nogales. Large parking lot, and office to get all the necessary paperwork for travelling down the mainland (none needed in Baja except for FMM and Mex. insurance)and you can get EVERYTHING there. NOTE: you'll see dozens of kiosks of 'copy' vendors; you'll need several copies of your driver's license and vehicle registration (and I can't remember what-all involved). The vendor(s) can tell you what to copy and how many; get it done before you go into the main office to file and pay. Small fees, both for papers and copies of your stuff.

Then smooth sailing to Guaymas, mostly 4-lane freeway (kinda) and ''Hassle-Free Zone" all the way. The ferry has its' own website (lost it, sowwy) probably simple to google, and you can book reservations on it as well as find out if/when it's running. I'd get reservations; something tells me folks will be using it for the next short while. Also take some Dramamine if it looks to be at all windy; it's a SMALL ferry...:barf:

chuckie - 9-21-2014 at 07:11 AM

If it's still the "Benito Juarez" wash the dram down with Pacifico....

Alm - 9-21-2014 at 11:23 AM

I would wait for at least a few days. Marina Sta Rosalia reportedly had a lot of damage, and ferry dock is next to marina, basically "in" marina.

durangobaja - 9-21-2014 at 12:16 PM

Thanks.
All good advice and tips.

Buddha, I am Wild Bill from San Lucas Cove.

bajabuddha - 9-21-2014 at 05:06 PM

Hey, amigo. Say hi to the gang for me; i'm stuck here for the nonce. Happy trails.
bb

ehall - 9-21-2014 at 05:25 PM

Anyone know what it costs to ferry a jeep across? Would make for an interesting round trip.

Reeljob - 9-21-2014 at 05:56 PM

Have a friend from Denver wants to take a truck load down via ferry. Ferry is reserved for CFE & MIlitary only until further notice

Alm - 9-21-2014 at 06:38 PM

ehall - I doubt that trip to an area of recent disaster would be something "interesting". Sta Rosalia is not too interesting town anyway, and has never been, IMO. Now that Koreans started digging out remaining copper (and shipping it to China), there are more crowds, more dust and more crime than in the past. In 20-25 years from now the mine will be done for, and they will be left with more piles of refuse and more poor families.

Ferry rates are shown at their homepage few posts above. A little more expensive than traveling by land.

ehall - 9-21-2014 at 07:57 PM

Of course I am not talking about going now. 6 months from now would be good though. Round trip wasn't want I meant. I should of said alternate way back home.

Alm - 9-21-2014 at 09:30 PM

Ferry is gonna cost you twice as much as driving. Unless you camp in Sta Rosalia area and you home is in Guaymas area :)

bajabuddha - 9-22-2014 at 08:20 AM

Depends on where you're coming from in the States. Us 'easterners' save by using it; yes, it's pricey, and they charge by the foot (meter) length of what you're bringing aboard. If I had my rig and toys stored in Baja, i'd ferry all the time; it takes at least one FULL drive-day off of the trip if not almost two, the cost/ferry compared to cost/fuel is a little better, and you don't have to hassle with TP1 for two days... easy 4 lane Guaymas run.

In the past getting on the thing was more difficult going back to Guaymas than going from Baja; first-timers were scared spitless of the TP1, and didn't want to drive all the way north so would bail at Sta. R. and pay the fees. Now with the mine, may be different. With the storm, you bet, but this too shall pass.

I do suggest watching the weather forcasts for your impending 'voyage', because that little thing is a cork out there if it's in the December/January northers. For those of us with glass tummies it's not such a bad drive after all.... haven't hurled on Questa del Infierno yet....

Alm - 9-22-2014 at 05:15 PM

I thought TIP was required going from Guaymas to St Rosa, not the other way around.

Anyway, - question to "easterners" - is there anything particularly wrong with those camps on the mainland side, like Bahia Kino etc? Other than more people (both locals and gringos) and higher prices on the camps. Though, more crowds is reason enough for me, personally :)... From what I saw, their post-Odile damage is nothing, compared to Baja Sur and BOLA.