BajaNomad

A Crazy three days! Odile road trip

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 03:09 AM

Shari, You were right about it being an adventure!

DAY 1
Toll road bypass...1.5 hours into the trip,

2.5 hrs , Coming into Ensenada, three blocks from picking up Shari we see concrete and a tire flying in front of us!

3 hrs, We pick up Sheri and head to Home Depot for Water and Plywood.

5hrs, We pull into the checkpoint just before El Rosario and see a truckload of transformers heading to Cabo,

End of Day 1

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by bigmike58]

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 03:14 AM

Day 2,

We left the Baja Cactus at 6:30am, Clear sailing until Catavina.

Plenty of water in the dry lake beds,

P-nche Baca's!

Drive wasn't too bad, just some small craters and minor erosion.

That is until we got a few miles east of Guererro Negro,

As we come into Visciano we see this!!! LOL
[Edited on 9-21-2014 by bigmike58]

As we are fueling up in Visciano Shari notices a familiar face drive up.. It's Vandy from BN and he will take Shari (and her 500 lbs of porcelain supplies :) -home..Sweet! that saves me 3hrs or so and I can head to Mulege. We all have a great lunch at that China place and I head south and do a drive by at San Ignacio.. Two fires and now this crap...

We drive thru Sta Roselia and stop by San Lucas to check on a friend... bad there also,

We pull into Mulege about 4pm and drop the supplies with Chacho,

And then over to see Mateo at the ramp and see if he needs anything. But we can't get there...

As we head for Buenaventura we make a few pit stops at Cliffs Storage (all is great there-no Damage except for a few torn covers) Santispac, Burro, Posada, Coyote and ???

We end Day 2 at BuenaVentura with ice cold cervesa's and Mark's awesome burgers!!

Day 3

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 04:23 AM

Woke up after a good sleep to a beautiful sunrise on Conception Bay,

Mark brewed some coffee and cooked breakfast for us. The plan is to head back to Mulege, check on a few more places- Take more pics of The Orchard and then head to Chivato to see Russ and check on a few homes there...

We can't make it to Chivato but do hand off the supplies to Mike who has real tires on his truck and we decide to head back to CA.

Water crossing at San Ignacio is way down,

Truck is righted but still in the sand,

Water crossing at Catavina is almost dry,

We're exhausted !!

3 day's 1500+ miles- I hope the supplies that were donated help ease the pain caused by Odile.

chuckie - 9-21-2014 at 05:09 AM

MUCH MUCH THANKS!!!!

BajaBoomerBabe - 9-21-2014 at 06:47 AM

thanks so much for the great post. Greatly appreciated.

Russ - 9-21-2014 at 07:02 AM

Hell of a report! Thanks for the supplies!

bajaandy - 9-21-2014 at 07:34 AM

Boots on the ground. Well done. Nice of you to make the drive and check on so many places, meet with many folks, give rides, deliver supplies and still have enough gas in the tank to make a report. I'm sure there are a lot of appreciative folks.

BM58 - Thanks X2

walters886 - 9-21-2014 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Boots on the ground. Well done. Nice of you to make the drive and check on so many places, meet with many folks, give rides, deliver supplies and still have enough gas in the tank to make a report. I'm sure there are a lot of appreciative folks.

BM58 X2. Very appreciative of your efforts, generosity, excellent report and photos. tx ws

CarlosAK - 9-21-2014 at 07:53 AM

Fantastic report! Thanks so much!

Ateo - 9-21-2014 at 08:44 AM

Way cool. Thanks.

CocinaPacifica - 9-21-2014 at 09:11 AM

so helpful to everyone driving down or thinking of making the trip.THX

Sweetwater - 9-21-2014 at 09:20 AM

Outstanding and very well done....thanks for posting up.

Johannes - 9-21-2014 at 09:21 AM

great report, wish everyone would document their trip with pics, shows so well the trouble spots and how they get better

willyAirstream - 9-21-2014 at 09:24 AM

Big mike, waited 45 minutes for you. Wtf

Loretana - 9-21-2014 at 09:25 AM

Big Mike,
You have some really GOOD KARMA coming your way! :saint:

BajaDanD - 9-21-2014 at 11:13 AM

Great job Great Report

bigmike58 - 9-21-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
Big mike, waited 45 minutes for you. Wtf

I was there at 11:10- you were not!.. the cops made me drive my big ass truck outa there and by the time I was able to get turned around and back by the bank Ron yelled over that you left and that " I could drive to you to complete YOUR DEAL".....

I'm guessing you must have had an important meeting or something... You can drive the rods to Asunción..:?:

shari - 9-21-2014 at 08:03 PM

Big Mike stepped up to the plate and I thank him for getting me home safe and getting much needed gear to Mulege...he is a git er done type of dude and we had a fun ride...albeit a bit nerve racking at times when he was taking all those photos while driving...hahaha...double tasking! that man can DRIVE!!!!

Here are some more of the Catavina vado from the passenger side.

thanks for getting me and my stuff back safely...the toilet & sink will be installed tomorrow in the new room at the Inn thanks to you! I'd ride shotgun with you anytime amigo! Let me know when the next disaster run is.

wsdunc - 9-22-2014 at 09:26 AM

Great report!

bigmike58 - 9-22-2014 at 12:45 PM

Shari, You're welcome and also one helluva co-driver!

My wife and I would love to come to La Bufadora Inn and test out that new porcelain throne! See you next year and thank you for your help on this trip..bigmike

toneart - 9-22-2014 at 01:48 PM

Hey Big Mike!

Glad to see what an asset you have become to Mulege. What a grueling, quick trip you made. Glad to also see how appreciated your efforts were.

See U2U

Tony

Maron - 9-22-2014 at 02:14 PM

Big Mike

Your are one great man. Enjoy the wonderful karma that is on its way to you.

Peace, and thanks for your efforts.

Marc - 9-22-2014 at 10:48 PM

Great pics and info. I am heading to Mulege next week via Gonzaga.

David K - 9-23-2014 at 07:56 AM

Terrific Nomad on scene reporting! Thanks for the awesome photos too, and for getting Shari home!

bigmike58 - 10-9-2014 at 08:32 AM

Sorry for the loss of pictures- I guess with all the nomads viewing my pictures photobucket throttled my account for exceeding 10gb in a month. I purchased more bandwidth to fix the issue... Thanks for the heads up on the problem "Angelos" ..

David K - 10-9-2014 at 08:42 AM

Thanks again!

BajaBlanca - 10-9-2014 at 02:07 PM

incredible report

incredible pics

incredible human! thanksssssssssssssssssssss for being such a good sport! all of Baja surely appreciates the huge effort thru water and holes and being diverted over and over.