BajaNomad

I GOT IT!!!........I FINALLY GOT IT!!!

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 09:40 AM

For several years, many of my friends in Ensenada have been politely suggesting that the fastest way across to the US is the SENTRI lane.

I have been reluctant to comply because I have some skeletons in my closet.

I applied on line, and it took 5 months to get conditional approval. I went for my interview (they were not very prompt on time...I had to wait 45 minutes AFTER my scheduled appointment.

Then came the interview:

The CBP officer had my entire life on his screen, and asked me questions accordingly.
He said that two of my infractions were automatic disqualifications for the pass, but that they (the officers) have a little latitude and discretion in awarding the passes.

So he said I was approved, and to pay at the cashier behind me and drive my car to the front of the office for inspection.

My lesson, (and thanks to Terry, BAJAGUY), was to never let your past keep you from applying for the SENTRY.

shari - 9-24-2014 at 09:46 AM

great news...you're on a roll Udo!

Zapotec - 9-24-2014 at 10:30 AM

Udo, I don't know you, but you seem like a really nice person, and for that I am happy for you that you got Sentry. Congratulations.

TMW - 9-24-2014 at 10:32 AM

Congratulations

jbcoug - 9-24-2014 at 11:43 AM

Congrats Udo ,

DENNIS - 9-24-2014 at 11:51 AM

Now you can bring your maid back to the states in the trunk of your car without having to explain it to a border guard. Very cool.

Bob53 - 9-24-2014 at 11:51 AM

Gratz!!!

55steve - 9-24-2014 at 11:56 AM

Excellent news! I was VERY surprised that I got my Sentri as well. I figured this pic of Daniel Ortega & me at a Sandinista rally in Nicaragua would do me in!

In the interview I was asked if ever smoked pot - I replied that I was a teenager in the 60's and of course I smoked pot! He asked when the last time I smoked pot and I replied so long ago that I couldn't remember.

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by 55steve]

sancho - 9-24-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Udo, do you LIST the infractions on an application? Sometime
before the interview? or just appear at the interview and
answer any questions about previous infractions?
So finding about what is on one's record before hand would
not be of value, since CBP has it on record?

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 12:01 PM

Bajaguy was right, Steve...you never know until you try!

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Excellent news! I was VERY surprised that I got my Sentri as well. I figured this pic of Daniel Ortega & me at a Sandinista rally in Nicaragua with his arm on my shoulder would do me in!

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by 55steve]

Maron - 9-24-2014 at 12:15 PM

Way to go Udo. We are waiting for our car to get "approved". I screwed up when applying for our passes and failed to sign the car up.

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 12:16 PM

Hola Sancho!
The answer to the question you posed is no.

One just inputs the personal info asked (dr. lic. US passport, what Mexican municipality you live in...all simple questions). The CBP then takes a few months to run ones background investigation.
Your past known infractions do not have to be voluntarily disclosed ahead of time, therefore DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION not asked, and do not volunteer a larger explanation than necessary about the question asked, because that may lead to further questions.
Note: I googled my name plus I ran my own background investigation (cost me $10.00), and found nothing derogatory that was major.
Knowing one's record ahead of time was useful because I was then prepared to answer the posed questions.

However...
I feel that I can honestly say that when the interviewer's screen showed one of my previous employers was a police department, the tone of his questions were not so confrontational.

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Udo, do you LIST the infractions on an application? Sometime
before the interview? or just appear at the interview and
answer any questions about previous infractions?
So finding about what is on one's record before hand would
not be of value, since CBP has it on record?

BooJumMan - 9-24-2014 at 12:17 PM

Great to hear.

Wasn't so lucky for my friend who drove 800 miles to his SENTRI interview (after he was conditionally approved). Within 5 minutes of his interview with the officer, he was told he wouldn't be approved. He was more than peeed off to say the least. If you got anything on your record, maybe be good to call before driving long distances.

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 12:24 PM

Attitude during the interview goes a short or long way, depending how you approach it.

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Great to hear.

Wasn't so lucky for my friend who drove 800 miles to his SENTRI interview (after he was conditionally approved). Within 5 minutes of his interview with the officer, he was told he wouldn't be approved. He was more than peeed off to say the least. If you got anything on your record, maybe be good to call before driving long distances.

luv2fish - 9-24-2014 at 12:31 PM

He said that two of my infractions were automatic disqualifications for the pass, but that they (the officers) have a little latitude and discretion in awarding the passes.

Ya think they might be willing to over look a fistfull of 2-11s ??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 9-24-2014 at 12:34 PM

Udo...do you have a link for the ten dollar record check?

Lee - 9-24-2014 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

So, if you don't mind sharing, what were the 2 infractions this officer gave you a PASS on?

I recall the application I saw online that asked (paraphrasing here): have you ever had contact with the law. And, if yes, explain in detail. Guess that would be misdemeanors and traffic violations?

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 02:33 PM

What I did, Dennis, is to click on one of the links that appear on any of several web sites. I don't remember which one.
What initially got me was the "FREE" personal record check that was blinking on the web page's header. Then 5 minutes later, they tell me that they have found all my records (they provided different name variations, addresses, etc.) but to get a printed record, it was going to cost me $10.00...and that was almost 6 months ago (that is how long the SENTRI application process took.)

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Udo...do you have a link for the ten dollar record check?

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 02:35 PM

One, maybe, depending on the agent, but more than one, some morbid may be in order.

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish

Ya think they might be willing to over look a fistfull of 2-11s ??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by Udo]

DENNIS - 9-24-2014 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

What I did, Dennis,

Thanks, Udo. I was only mildly curious. I'm clean.

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 03:18 PM

Yes, Dennis, I take showers also.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

What I did, Dennis,

Thanks, Udo. I was only mildly curious. I'm clean.

redmesa - 9-24-2014 at 03:31 PM

My husband was disqualified because he did not reveal a disorderly charge when he was 18 (45 years ago) which he did not even know he had. He could have appealed but said screw it. I hate data mining!

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 04:10 PM

As I previously stated...it all depends on the agent doing the interviewing.

Udo - 9-24-2014 at 05:55 PM

Now that I know that I got approved, I started the application process for my wife Jana.
I would have done both at the same time, but I was fearful that my wife would get approved and I would be left holding the bag.
Withe her application, we are have applied for registering the FJ Cruiser.
My car is the Prius. Which will be my traveling car (can't beat 50 MPG). The FJ Cruiser costs me about $400 US in gas for the round trip from Tecate to Bahia Asunción. The Prius, I can make the round trip on less than 10 gallons. I use about 13 gallons for the round trip from the middle of Orange County to BA and back!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maron
Way to go Udo. We are waiting for our car to get "approved". I screwed up when applying for our passes and failed to sign the car up.

bajalearner - 9-24-2014 at 06:26 PM

Congratz. I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me as a member! Sentri is a good thing.

Ateo - 9-24-2014 at 06:29 PM

Congrats. Sentri has allowed me to drop the kids off at school and head to Baja for lunch and shopping while getting me back home in time to pick up the kids.

things are going faster at Sentri

skipowell - 9-24-2014 at 06:57 PM

Congratulations Udo!

I just got an email from Sentri today to let me know that my car is conditionally approved. When I called last month they said the wait was 3- 6 months. It ended up taking 2 1/2 months. Got an appointment for next week. Whew! I was ready for a really long wait. I was a bit nervous as my Sentri is up for renewal in March and I was not able to renew it while the car was pending. Can live with out the new car going down but would have been bummed if I couldn't travel in the line.

baconjr - 9-25-2014 at 11:52 AM

If you want to see what they know about any past indiscretions get a livescan http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php#sandi... and request the FBI check criminal check.. That is what they are looking at. It costs $60+ dollars and I had an email from the FBI about my past in my inbox before I got home. Here is more information http://www.fieldprintfbi.com/FBISubPage_FullWidth.aspx?Chann... Good news is that the improvements at SY have dramatically shorten the wait. At noon today SY standard line wait is 20 min.

Udo - 9-25-2014 at 01:08 PM

That is good information for future SENTRI applicants, baconjr (BTW...great name for those of us who are involved with food).

tjsue - 9-25-2014 at 07:58 PM

Congrats. I have a friend that lives in TJ that just applied. He got a part-time job in Chula Vista, and says that it can take him up to three hours to cross on foot with his Ready card.

He's afraid that he won't get it because of past "issues," but I told him to try anyway, you never know. I also told him not to set up an interview at Otay for any reason, just wait for a SY opening.

sancho - 9-25-2014 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
and says that it can take him up to three hours to cross on foot with his Ready card.

I've crossed in the ped line a couple times, took approx. 2 1/4 hr
on the weekend, standard line with Passport , I BELIEVE one can bypass the entire line, all the
way to the metal gate/fencing, a short ways from entering the
CBP build, if one has Sentri. It seems by your friends wait, one
cannot go to the front of the line with just a Ready card?
There is virtually 10 people or so , in the Sentri line

Oddjob - 9-25-2014 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Now that I know that I got approved, I started the application process for my wife Jana.
I would have done both at the same time, but I was fearful that my wife would get approved and I would be left holding the bag.
My car is the Prius. Which will be my traveling car (can't beat 50 MPG). The FJ Cruiser costs me about $400 US in gas for the round trip from Tecate to Bahia Asunción. The Prius, I can make the round trip on less than 10 gallons. I use about 13 gallons for the round trip from the middle of Orange County to BA and back!

Round trip from Tecate to BA is over 1,000 miles, so your Prius gets more than 100 miles per gallon?:?:

dasubergeek - 9-25-2014 at 09:16 PM

There have never been more than two people in the SENTRI line when I cross at SY pedestrian (on weekends, generally). You can walk all the way to the metal gate. Show your card to the officer and walk into the building all the way along the right wall. Scan your card at the post and wait to be called (they will call you out of order before Ready Lane participants).

If you need to move past people (because the line past the shops is actually the Ready Lane), just be polite about it, but don't wait behind them.

wessongroup - 9-25-2014 at 10:13 PM

That you are up and moving this well .... Outstanding :):)

tjsue - 9-26-2014 at 09:04 AM

My friend says that the word at the pedestrian line is that there's a new CBP manager, who only lets people into the building in increments of 50 at a time, which holds up the line.

The longest that I ever waited on foot with my passport card was 45 minutes, when I got my Sentri, I think the total wait including walking up the kiosk, was about 10 minutes. I never had more than five people ahead of me in line at one time.

Udo - 9-26-2014 at 11:47 AM

I mis-spoke...
The trip from Tecate to BA, could have been done in 10 gallons, but I had a little less than ¼ tank and filled up in Vizcaino.
You are right on my miscalculation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddjob
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Round trip from Tecate to BA is over 1,000 miles, so your Prius gets more than 100 miles per gallon?:?:

Udo - 9-26-2014 at 11:49 AM

Mil gracias!

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
That you are up and moving this well .... Outstanding :):)

carlosg - 9-26-2014 at 11:56 AM

Buenos dias amigos,

We just crossed the border in Tecate last night(09/25/14 about 7:00pm) trailering a 16' boat after a camping trip to San Luis Gonzaga, the truck cab and bed were loaded with us and our equipment as well as the boat: used the left lane after the military post, took about 30 minutes to cross (don't try this on weekends specially on Sundays or on US or Mexican holidays, best time is Mon-Fri from 3:00pm on after), line started about half way down the hill (where the vendors start), we have (all 4 for the past 12 years) SENTRI Cards, officer asked what we had to declare and I gave him a verbal list (be prepared to do so and be very specific and clear) of vegetables, beer cans (3), wine bottles (6 bought in the US) and cheese, he replied asking if any poultry or pork and I said NO, it seems beef may have some problem coming across; then he seemed to go ahead and start writing the red slip for secondary inspection when he asked me if the trailer had its own registration which I immediately displayed (so be prepared and hand over any trailer and/or boat registration with your passport(s)) he checked it and sent us on our way... this was a great surprise and a pleasant one: no secondary. REMEMBER: BE PREPARED with ALL your info BEFORE arriving to the check point and check and recheck your paper work!!!!

When in Tecate try out El Tucan Restaurant in El Dorado Hotel (nice, basic, clean rooms: $450.00 pesos for double, wifi and secured parking -if available you can use the private parking not the street while dining- ph:665-654-1333), on weekends try the authentic Mexican all you eat buffet or you can also order from the menu, good freshly ground coffee, very clean restaurant and clean restrooms. Its on the main street: Avenida Juarez, coming from Ensenada drive north past the railroad tracks into town, at the Plaza make a left onto Avenida Juarez, drive west for about 8 blocks to the west end of downtown and its on the corner of Calle Cantu and Avenida Juarez east of the Red Cross.

Try this links:

to find out crossing times at ANY of Baja's Border Crossing:

http://bwt.cbp.gov/?com=1&pas=1&ped=1&plist=2503...

to find out crossing times at the Tijuana Border Crossing:

http://garitacenter.com/

http://www.frontera.info/Garitas/

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/traficoengaritas

to find out what fruits and vegetables you can bring across the border, refresh your browser because it changes from time to time:

https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/manual/index.cfm?NEW=1&R...

[Edited on 9-26-2014 by carlosg]

Udo - 10-8-2014 at 02:24 PM

I just received my SENTRI card...in 12 days!

INM

bajaguy - 10-8-2014 at 03:00 PM

Don't forget to change your residence location with INM on your RP cards from BA to Ensenada.....don't know the time limit, but I am sure there is one

Udo - 10-8-2014 at 03:35 PM

I don't think I need to change my Baja address until I sell the BA house and/or move to Ensenada.

BajaBlanca - 10-9-2014 at 02:21 PM

Udo! what a great story - sentri in record time and an understanding interrogator. You lucked out bigtime. Thanks for sharing .... we go so rarely to the States that we will most likely never apply, but you never know.