BajaNomad

BOLA 9/20-24

LukeJobbins - 9-25-2014 at 01:09 PM

Just got back from BOLA. Drove down Sat and got there at sunset. Road in was bad but passable for pretty much any car. Now it's good for sure for any car. I wasn't sure how the town was or if they had anything or needed anything so I loaded my car with water and food. I gave my stuff away and also a group of guys called Baja Strong brought a bunch of stuff down too and it was super appreciated. The government has done a great job in responding and fixing stuff and helping the town. When I got there Saturday night all the roads were at least passable, The town had enough supplies for anyone that needed them and the government was paying the towns people to clean up and power was back on. I just drove into town and asked who needed help and ended up helping a guy build a wall that had been partially destroyed. So the main thing the town needs is manual labor. I was told 30 homes were lost but no people or even major injuries which is amazing if you were to see the damage. The town looks ok from the surface and the main road but go one street up or down and you will see how bad it really is. Everyone is helping each other clean up or rebuild but the amount of clean up and work that needs to be done is completely overwhelming for the town. If anyone has time please come down and offer a hand to anyone who needs it. It is crazy hot down there now and everyone is working from daybreak to about 11am then break at peak heat and back to work late afternoon. All stores and hotels are up. Power and internet is up. Roads are up. Ice and gas is available. The military and police are also helping a lot which is cool. If you have been down there or go down there for vacations it would mean the world to them if you could get down there for a day or 2 and get dirty helping them clean up their homes. Its not glamorous, clean, or comfortable work at all. You will be exhausted and dirty but it's good to give back to a place that always gives out so much. I'm not sure if any pangas are running out yet other than for food and commercial use. The jack crevalle are running along the beach north of town everyday though so in between working I was able to get 2 solid 20-30 lb fish from the beach. I also saw a small dorado and caught the small normal fish from the beach. And there are numerous new trails, and canyons to be hiked in spare time as the rain completely changed the landscape.

woody with a view - 9-25-2014 at 01:16 PM

good job!

TMW - 9-25-2014 at 03:12 PM

Thanks for the report and thank you for what you did.

ehall - 9-25-2014 at 03:39 PM

wow, nice work.