have registration
license
insurance
operate the car safely
observe speed limits
no tinted windows (factory only)
seat belts
child seats

Its mostly a ploy to seize "chocolates" US plated cars driven by MX nationals, but I have seen many more people pulled over lately.

Even I am stopping at stop signs at 5 AM when driving to work.

Just take care.

bajacalifornian - 9-26-2014 at 01:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up Sly. All's in order. Still helps.

Maron - 9-26-2014 at 01:43 PM

SlyOnce,

We echo the thanks for the heads up.

SlyOnce - 10-3-2014 at 09:31 AM

Update - there was a LARGE operation in Playas last night on Paseo Pedregal and Del Agua (last corner before my house, right at the Delegation). I saw many new cars and trucks being towed, lots of very unhappy people. They ran the traffic stop from 4 PM to 8 PM. As a gringo, they never even took a look at me, my car, or my papers.

micah202 - 10-3-2014 at 09:43 AM

......the 'choclates' as you say are all..''US plated cars driven by MX nationals'',,,so non-insured??

SFandH - 10-3-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
......the 'choclates' as you say are all..''US plated cars driven by MX nationals'',,,so non-insured??

There are many drivers in Mexico that are uninsured, that's not the issue I don't think. I think the issue is driving a car with US plates and no US ID/address.

DENNIS - 10-3-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I think the issue is driving a car with US plates and no US ID/address.

And expired tags.

SlyOnce - 10-3-2014 at 02:31 PM

One of the cars I saw being impounded was a brand new pickup. It had no plates and did not have that little temporary paper on the windshield. A MX woman was VERY UNHAPPY as it was getting loaded on the tow truck. I also say a newer BMW being taken when I went by later.

For once, being racially profiled as a gringo, with CA plates and current registration stickers I was given a total pass.

LOTS of cops with guns, and I could see why, as people were having their vehicles taken.

bajaguy - 10-3-2014 at 02:57 PM

What agency was running the checkpoint and who was seizing the vehicles??

SlyOnce - 10-7-2014 at 08:47 AM

TJ Municipal Policia. The checkpoint was directly in front of the station at the Delagacion de Playas.