BajaNomad

OCT 3 LUNCH WITH THE BUNCH

BajaBlanca - 10-3-2014 at 08:21 PM

So today was our scholarship kid make lunch on Friday with Blanca. The chicken curry came out delicious - check it out!

Allan set the table:

Enrique, Carolina and Jazmin cubed the chicken and removed fat:

Katia made the salad:

Merielle made the salad dressing:

Ramiro cooked up the curry sauce:

I explained how to make the broccoli but they were starving so I quickly made it - no photo of the "teacher" today.

Then we all sat down and let me tell you, they wolfed down the food. I am happy that they all are open to trying new spices.

I was a little sad, when I asked what they had had for dinner last night, the answers ranged from nothing, many had quesadillas and two had cereal. I definitely have my work cut out. When Allan told me he hadn't eaten breakfast, I mentioned how important the first meal of the day is but the thought flashed through my mind that maybe there wasn't food on the table? No bueno but my positive thinking makes me happy that we are giving him a chance to turn this around once and for all.

At any rate, after eating and cleaning up, I went to Abreojos to meet the families of three students. Carolina is from Abre too but her parents were away.

Katia's mom and I got to talking and she told me about her sister who had the best grades in her college class, dreamed about the one job she wanted and now is a successful attorney in the exact same company she dreamed of. I have asked Katia's mom to come and talk to the kids on Monday. I have told them to dream BIG, work towards the goal and they will achieve it - now they can hear it from someone else.

They also did presentations to practice public speaking. this was probably the most important part of the afternoon and we will do many of them:

Merielle doing her spiel:

Carolina doing hers:

That is all,folks. I leave you with a picture of Jazmin that came out very nice:

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by BajaBlanca]

TMW - 10-4-2014 at 09:58 AM

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

jbcoug - 10-4-2014 at 10:34 AM

Thank you for providing such valuable experiences for these kids! They have no idea how useful these skills will be in the future.

BajaBlanca - 10-5-2014 at 05:37 PM

Indeed, I wish I had a crystal ball to see where they end up.

I did the calculations yesterday when someone asked how many kids I now teach: 75 in middle school and 80 in high school! That is a lot of kids!