BajaNomad

Mechanic needed El Rosario

nobaddays - 10-5-2014 at 11:28 AM

Any recommendations??? Stranded

bajaguy - 10-5-2014 at 11:42 AM

Go see Antonio at the PEMEX, a fellow Nomad and a great guy!!

BajaNomad - 10-5-2014 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Go see Antonio at the PEMEX

Same advice.

surfhat - 10-5-2014 at 12:12 PM

Not that this can be of any help right now but one of my favorite Baja mechanic stories happened in El Rosario in the early 80's. I had a breakdown and just made it into town to the Pemex and they hooked me up with a mechanic who lived just west of the highway. This generous man and his family welcomed me into their home and front yard shop. He had to order the needed parts and in the meantime they offered me their front yard to wait in and fed me dinner and took care of me. The hospitality they offered and shared while waiting for the parts was a reward onto itself. I was on the road the next day and I gave what I could besides paying whatever fee he asked for. The giving nature of these folks who had so little in worldly possessions and freely gave what they could to a stranger became one of my life's most treasured memories and what the people of Baja give to all who venture their way. This is a big part of why we all love this little corner of the world. I remember the dinner they so graciously shared with me was pigs feet and it was a first since I had been mostly a seafood eating vegetarian for 15 years at that point. I learned from them so much more than how to eat this delicacy and the selfless generosity that we have all come to love with these precious folks that have a comparatively difficult existence to survive in. Bless the people of Baja and it is tragic to hear when they are suffering from the likes of Odile. The simplest of efforts to help all those affected means so much to them and costs us so l little compared to what they have given to us all over the decades. Best of luck with your troubles in El Rosario and I am sure you will be on the road asap and hope you appreciate whoever comes to your rescue. The smallest gesture on your part can mean a great deal to them and in so doing you are helping the next traveler who may need some assistance. Those folks close to the earth are our reward and why we all treasure our times down there. Peace out.

woody with a view - 10-5-2014 at 01:08 PM

i'm sure the guy just east of the corner on the north side can help! just past the propane place (i think?)......

Maron - 10-5-2014 at 01:34 PM

Surfhat,

Things have not changed a bit. The locals are the most friendly, kind and generous people I have ever encountered.

Viva Mexico, and may those that have the means, be generous for what ever services they may receive.

Peace

David K - 10-5-2014 at 01:50 PM

If the Pemex can't help walk next door to Baja Cactus motel front desk where Antonio can be reached by phone.

woody with a view - 10-5-2014 at 04:48 PM

although Antonio is The MAN, it isn't that big of a town to just walk down one side, have a beer at the cop shop and walk back on the other side....... I'm sure Big A has better things to do!

David K - 10-5-2014 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
although Antonio is The MAN, it isn't that big of a town to just walk down one side, have a beer at the cop shop and walk back on the other side....... I'm sure Big A has better things to do!

True, but customer relations and good business etiquette is what Antonio is famous for. If we didn't send 'nobaddays' his way, he would be most unhappy to not been alerted to help a fellow Nomad.

nobaddays, I am sure you have got the help you need by now... but for anyone else, here is a photo I took of Antonio talking with off road racer and CBS Sports commentator Cameron Steel this past June between the Baja Cactus Motel and Pemex station... (I went to the motel lobby to tell Antonio we were there, and they had to call him as he was not on site, and he was glad to come and meet us).

BajaCactus - 10-5-2014 at 08:02 PM

Nobaddays...

The best, honest mechanic in town is Carlos Savin (he also fixes diesel trucks), he has his mechanic shop behind "La Pasadita" food place on highway 1. Going southbound to the right, almost across the street of the last school in town you will find to the left.

I am in El Rosario at the moment. If you need help, please look for me at the BajaCactus Motel and ask our front desk staff to call me, I will be more than happy to take you there and be of any assistance.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus - 10-5-2014 at 09:09 PM

I just sent you my personal contact info to your U2U inbox. Feel free to contact me at anytime.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus