BajaNomad

"Villa and Zapata" (Mcllyn)

chuckie - 10-7-2014 at 04:25 PM

Some time ago, Pescador mentioned this book.....I finally got it and read it. What a GREAT read!!! And what terrible brutal times in Mexico....I have quite a collection of books and memorabilia from the period of "La Revolucion" this book tops em all.....Thanks Pescador!!!!

BajaBlanca - 10-7-2014 at 07:06 PM

I have Chuckie's permission to write about another book here - this thread reminded me of it because it shows a very brutal side of Mexico as well.

It is the history of the EL BOLEO in Santa Rosalia. I have not and probably will not read it in its entirety as it is extremely dense reading but it is incredibly interesting as well.

THIS PART TALKS ABOUT THE DEMISE OF THE COMPANY ON 7/7/85 AND HOW EMOTIONS RAN FROM INDIGNATION TO NOSTALGIA. ITMENTIONS HOW THE SIREN THAT ANNOUNCED THE BEGINNING AND END OF EACH WORK DAY WAS SUDDENLY SILENT.

HERE ARE THE YEARS AND VARIOUS METALS MINED:

THIS GRAPH SHOWS THE CENSUS = WOMEN MEN FOREIGNERS MEXICANS INDIANS ETC

ALL THE MUCHOS FRANKS THE COMPANY MADE:

BOATS THAT BROUGHT AND TOOK MERCHANDISE AND METALS:

CHECK IT OUT! THEY HAD 15 POLISH GUYS! AND THEY EVEN HAD A DENTIST ...

HERE THEY HAD OLIVES, CEREALS, VEGGIES AND CHICKENS, ENOUGH FOR THE TOWN:

What most surprised me is that the workers were very badly paid. They were brought over from all the corners of the world with big promises. Many quit after they realized they did not make enough to live on. Heart breaking stories of guys coming with little and leaving after 3 weeks with even less.

KaceyJ - 10-7-2014 at 07:24 PM

Thanks Chuckie

That looks like a worthwhile read.

And Blanca? Where did you come across a copy of that??

Gil penned several books on Mexico , I haven't seen this before

Thanks

Mexico

Sjsam - 10-7-2014 at 07:27 PM

Good read. Barbabros Mexico

Villa and Zapata

bajaguy - 10-7-2014 at 07:37 PM

Just ordered.......Kindle

DENNIS - 10-7-2014 at 08:12 PM

My choice for the prize..."Tom Mix and Pancho Villa."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/778377.Tom_Mix_and_Pancho...

Read the reviews.

Amazon has it.

[Edited on 10-8-2014 by DENNIS]

chuckie - 10-8-2014 at 02:45 AM

I have the Tom Mix book as well, Is it true, Dennis that you doubled for him in his early films? Anyway,Villa and Zapata is much broader based.....The gringo mercanaries are well covered..there were a lot of them...

Mulegena - 10-8-2014 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I have the Tom Mix book as well, Is it true, Dennis that you doubled for him in his early films? Anyway,Villa and Zapata is much broader based.....The gringo mercanaries are well covered..there were a lot of them...
Hey fellas, I want a part in this movie, ok?

Chuckie, will you be bringing any good books down to Mulege with you this winter? (not subtle hint)
Promise not to get any mud on 'em.

btw, do you have housing lined up?
Casa B.A. and studios are open right now.

[Edited on 10-8-2014 by Mulegena]

DENNIS - 10-8-2014 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I have the Tom Mix book as well, Is it true, Dennis that you doubled for him in his early films?

That was my grandson. :lol:

chuckie - 10-8-2014 at 06:59 AM

I talked to Ralph yesterday and have leased the trailer across from where I was before...January-May..May be down earlier...gotcha down for books....Thanks

BajaBlanca - 10-8-2014 at 11:37 AM

What books are those pray tell?

The book I have was lent to me by a lady from Sonora who's living with a local La Bocana guy. The book was commissioned by the University of Sonora. It is a crazy read with amazing insight into life in Santa Rosalia, let me tell you.

chuckie - 10-8-2014 at 11:41 AM

Different deal, Blanca....Mulegena and I trade books when I am in town....