BajaNomad

Odile Earthquke near San Felipe felt in Los Cabos?

CaboSur - 10-9-2014 at 04:12 PM

I don't recall seeing a discussion during Odile about the earthquake near San Felipe being discussed here.

About 11:30 PM Sunday night during Odiles strongest assualt on Los Cabos my wife said that the light fixture and lamp shade were moving. She also felt a slight movement of the house although i didn't. We both attributed this to hurricane fatigue but i was skeptical thinking it was impossible the house could have any movement. I mean, i call our home the bunker for a reason.

Two days after Odile when we and all the neighbors were out checking the damage i had two neighbors ask us if we felt the earthquake. We said what earthquake ? So apparently what we felt was true.

Anyone else here feel it ?:?::?::?:

David K - 10-9-2014 at 04:48 PM

It was posted in the Baja News forum here on Nomad on Sept. 15: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75361

There were 4 shakers out from the coast between San Felipe and Puertecitos.

sancho - 10-9-2014 at 05:09 PM

That would be what, maybe 625 mi from the center to the Cape?
That is quite a ways for a 4.7, possible I suppose, just seems like
a long distance

David K - 10-9-2014 at 05:34 PM

Oh for sure... I am 300 miles from that quake and it was too minor to feel here.

Baja and Alta California (west side of the San Andreas Fault) are part of the Pacific Plate and is moving north relative to the North American Plate. Cabo used to snug against Mexico by Puerto Vallarta... then the Gulf of California was born.

You can't move that much earth without feeling it... and when it doesn't move a little at a time because it is hung up some where, it snaps when it finally breaks free... that is a quake you can feel.

grace59 - 10-10-2014 at 05:55 AM

I have many friends in San Felipe who did not feel the earthquake. They didn't even know one had occurred until I sent them the post.