BajaNomad

Upland Bird Hunting in BCS

jcom - 10-11-2014 at 02:27 PM

I'm a fisherman/fly fisherman first and foremost, but I do like to get my dog out for some birds once in a while. Not to mention, the hiking is rigorous exercise. Are there any opportunities for bobwhites, californias, hungarian partridge, chukar partridge, pheasants, doves, etc in BCS? I'm not into the "canned hunt" thing...prefer to get out and find wild ones. Any info would be greatly appreciated. License info, general areas, seasons, etc. Thanks! jcom

Russ - 10-11-2014 at 03:03 PM

Do a google search. Here's one site I found. http://www.bajahunting.com/

Archie - 10-11-2014 at 03:38 PM

I think none of the outfitters is offering birds this year.

Some of the species you mention may not be available, i think only of quail and mourning dove are some of the birds in this year hunting calendar.

Heres the link to the hunting calendar for Baja California Sur, season 2014-2015

http://www.semarnat.gob.mx/sites/default/files/documentos/vi...

[Edited on 10-11-2014 by Archie]

MMc - 10-11-2014 at 04:12 PM

I have friends that used to hunt the Melling Ranch. They shot Quail and Dove, when they talked about the hunt it was a managed. I don't think you can hunt any other way.

Mula - 10-12-2014 at 10:41 AM

Best bird hunting used to be outside Esquinapa south of Mazatlan.

Hnos. Aviles

weebray - 10-12-2014 at 01:11 PM

Is this guy serious? Do people still do this? Do they still stuff them and put them on their pool table? Do they still stuff their fish and hang them on the wall to show how big they are too?

desertcpl - 10-12-2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Is this guy serious? Do people still do this? Do they still stuff them and put them on their pool table? Do they still stuff their fish and hang them on the wall to show how big they are too?

????? put them on their pool table

MMc - 10-12-2014 at 02:07 PM

Weebray, you are consistent. He is looking to hunt, and to
work his dog. He says he is a fly fisherman, most fly fisherman are catch and release. He is probably a responsible hunter. It is the responsible hunters that support the habitat and and the responsible culling. Hunters are doing more for nature then any other group, they spend their time and money to ensure that the ecosystem is healthy. Where does mention anything about mounts?

Quote:

BigOly - 10-12-2014 at 02:51 PM

I agree with MMc. With out game management groups like Ducks Unlimited many animals would suffer.

weebray - 10-12-2014 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
I agree with MMc. With out game management groups like Ducks Unlimited many animals would suffer.

Oh sure.

john68 - 10-12-2014 at 07:35 PM

I have found very little bird hunting in BCS, tho there are plenty of quail and doves. People have tried to start guided hunts near Mag Bay and Los Barriles, but nothing seems to have come of it. If someone knows differently, I would sure like to know.

Baja Norte is a different story--great quail, dove, pheasant and duck hunting. Lots of guides. We went with Hector Sanchez out of Mexicali a few years back and had a terrific hunt. Hector's email is sanchezlimon.hector@gmail.com

I've never heard of hunting planted birds in Mexico. Wild game is too abundant.

DianaT - 10-12-2014 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly

Oh sure.

I am NOT a fan of hunting, not at all. However, we also love to visit wetlands that have been restored all over the west; places where the migratory birds thrive. And I don't think there is one that has not been assisted in many ways, including financially by Ducks Unlimited. Without them, I believe there would be far fewer migratory birds as their habitat would be gone.

So yes, they come and hunt them, but they also preserve them by protecting their habitat.

It is one of those balance things, IMHO

MMc - 10-12-2014 at 08:07 PM

The largest impact to any land species by man is habitat destruction. The pacific flyway is jacked up up all the houses in So. Cal. the fields the Geese and Brant used to live in are gone. As a kid we used to try and sneak up on the geese in green fields in Chino, now they are houses.
Weebray,here are a few hunters that make a difference:
http://www.ducks.org/about-du?poe=hometxt
http://www.tu.org/about-tu
http://sheepsociety.com/home
http://www.nwtf.org/
http://www.rmef.org/
http://www.rmef.org/
http://www.pheasantsfore
http://www.igfa.org/About/Mission.aspxver.org/
http://www.quwf.net/3
http://sdof.org/
Sorry for the high jack Jcom and if you find a guide please post it.

jcom - 10-16-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm serious. Are you? I've been with Ducks Unlimited for over 20 years and was chariman of the Salt Lake Chapter from 2007 - 2009 and we were in the top 100 chapters for grassroots funds raised, every year. We raised approx. $200,000 that ALL went directly towards wetlands conservation and remediation of habitat. Ducks Unlimited is the largest wetlands conservation group in the world. How much of your time and money have you donated to the environment?

I am a responsible, small game hunter. I don't have trophies...I eat what I shoot. Same goes for fishing, I either release or keep the occasional fish to feed my family.

Don't be such a jack arse.

Thanks to those who had something positive to response with as opposed to the finger diarrhea typed by the clown above.

[Edited on 10-16-2014 by jcom]

weebray - 10-16-2014 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm serious. Are you? I've been with Ducks Unlimited for over 20 years and was chariman of the Salt Lake Chapter from 2007 - 2009 and we were in the top 100 chapters for grassroots funds raised, every year. We raised approx. $200,000 that ALL went directly towards wetlands conservation and remediation of habitat. Ducks Unlimited is the largest wetlands conservation group in the world. How much of your time and money have you donated to the environment?

I am a responsible, small game hunter. I don't have trophies...I eat what I shoot. Same goes for fishing, I either release or keep the occasional fish to feed my family.

Don't be such a jack arse.

Thanks to those who had something positive to response with as opposed to the finger diarrhea typed by the clown above.

Geez, No need to get hostile. I was just asking not making any judgment. I honestly thought society was "over" shooting birds in the wild. I little research reveals that bird hunting still exists, but, it is dying along with many other archaic leftovers from the Teddy Roosevelt - Eisenhower years. I'm personally neutral on wildlife and wetlands organizations. They need to be analyzed on an individual basis in terms of their actual effectiveness in delivering donations, intact, to the street so to speak. There are any number of "charitable" organizations that take a pretty good rake off the top. Shriners, Elks and Lions come to mind.
. On a recent trip to Italy I noted the lack of songbirds on my bird watching sortie's. I was told that, with a license, Italians can shoot songbirds. That they eat them, and that they can come on your private property to do it. They also can set animal traps on your property. A friends dog lost a leg in one. At least we have progressed in some areas. BTW, as a fly fisherman myself I appreciate the zen of the sport. For food I support my local pangeros. To me that's a win win.

jcom - 10-29-2014 at 02:30 PM

Fair enough...just seems like your response was "hostile", so I responded in kind.

From visiting BCS, wow, what amazing territory it is, or could be, for Chukar Partridge, Hungarian Partridge, California Quail, Gambel's Quail, pheasant, etc, etc.

chuckie - 10-29-2014 at 02:50 PM

Great bird hunting in Baja Norte. We hunted in Sur for many years until the laws were changed in ????. Quail and ducks mostly....doves as well....

Pompano - 10-29-2014 at 04:00 PM

The northern parts of Baja are better for bird hunting activities...just because there is more food and habitat for the game. There are some local guides to take you out in El Rosario for quail and doves, plus some deer hunts. There is pheasant hunting available near Mexicali. Used to be quite good.

Quail and doves exist in numbers throughout both north and south Baja California. Outfitters are another matter and are in short supply these days. A few used to operate near Vizcaino, Loreto, Cd. Constitucion & Insurgentes farming areas, La Paz, and San Jose.

Back in the day, many hunters would go out with a local rancher or just wing it by themselves with permission in a good area. We used to hunt ducks and doves out of Punta Chivato in the 70's and 80's...also some rabbits. The old olive orchards was loaded with doves and quail. George S. and Bill Alvarado were our guides. The new development on the shore..Dolfin Bay I think it is called...is an area that we used to scoop out sea shell blinds to use for dove and duck hunts. There was a large brackish lagoon just inland.

Lots of bird hunters would gather in Mulege at Jorge Yee's when he ran the Las Casitas cantina. There was also some deer hunting on the ranchos near Mulege and also over on the peninsula. Local ranchers were the outfitters/guides back then.

Another hunt we used to do was to fly our C210 from the Serinadad pista across the Cortez to Navajoa on the mainland. There we outfitted with Oscar Zantandar, a local guide, for doves, ducks, quail, and javalina (wild pig). The millet fields drew thousands of birds.

The mainland has numerous hunts available...duck, goose, dove, deer, cougar, javalina, etc. The state of Sonora has many large ranches that offer guided hunts.

New regulations are changing all the time in Mexico and none of the Baja 'authorities' I've ever talked to knew for sure what's what. Check before you go afield with a gun. Personally, I would much rather hunt in Canada/USA/SA.

If you really want a great safe and legal hunt, go to Argentina.

durrelllrobert - 10-29-2014 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jcom

From visiting BCS, wow, what amazing territory it is, or could be, for Chukar Partridge, Hungarian Partridge, California Quail, Gambel's Quail, pheasant, etc, etc.

During the 10 years I worked at China Lake me and my German Short Hair, Hoss, hunted Chukar every weekend during the season on the lava flows south and west of Ridgecrest. DFG (or someone) built watering holes for them all over the place and they always were congregating around these. As we approached Hoss would charge them to try and get them to flush but they always just took off running up the lava flow as fast as there little red legs could take them and I always felt lucky if I got in a single shot before reaching the top. When a covey did flush it was a magnitude harder to hit one than it was to hit quail because of their speed.

After I transferred to NavSea in Virginia I tried goose hunting the Eastern Flyway but sitting in a rented hole in the ground in a harvested corn field all day waiting for them to notice the decoys just wasn't the same as chasing Chukar up the mountains so I gave up bird hunting and sold my shotguns. ditto the same for eastern deer hunting where you had to sit in a tree stand using rifled slugs in a shot gun that had a 30 yard range. Just not the same as Mulie hunting in the Sierras' so I sold my rifles also. Now I just fish in BCN.

chuckie - 10-29-2014 at 04:48 PM

Argentina hunting was so good it was boring...Too many doves/pigeons...Wouldnt go back...Now Chukar? Should be hunted only with close air support..I remember the good hunting on the sloughs near chivato...and the imbibation of adult beverages after hunt at Las casitas..No one ever missed a bird....I am off to Montana shortly for upland birds waterfowl and deer...I hope someday quail hunting is reallowed in Baja Sur....Put an elk and an antelope in the freezer, now a whitetail doe, off the beet fields north of Miles City....Roger, you bring the ducks,I'll bring the Elk steaks...

Pompano - 10-29-2014 at 05:21 PM

jcom, I think you and your dog can have as much fun exercising as possible. There are lots of opportunities. You might consider taking a camera instead of a shotgun to avoid any unpleasantness. I've taken my retrievers afield many times, as have many amigos who've brought their shorthairs and labs down to Baja Sur.

(Now if you ever go back to Argentina, chuckie...give the beautiful town of Esquel a visit. Supreme fishing and hunting nestled at the bottom of the Andes. It's a great experience.)

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
....Put an elk and an antelope in the freezer, now a whitetail doe, off the beet fields north of Miles City....Roger, you bring the ducks,I'll bring the Elk steaks...

Sounds like a plan for a great game dinner. I know some fellows at a local rifle club who love to grill...ducks and all. The last event was steak. We could always add some quail. Please don't drool on your keyboards.

[Edited on 10-30-2014 by Pompano]