BajaNomad

Seven Sisters - WiLDCOAST/COSTASALVAjE

woody with a view - 10-11-2014 at 07:13 PM

As the seasons transition and the masses descend onto those limited spaces where the wild things roam please keep in mind that these places have stoked the imaginations of millions, yet provided so many life lessons to a fraction of those same hordes and are now all too accessible.

It used to be you needed to know a guy with a reliable off-road vehicle and balls of steel who would "allow" you into this magical place on a map devoid of paved roads. If you could keep a secret, pay for your share of the expenses and didn't require anything more than an agave leaf to wipe your rectum you had a chance to score some waves the masses only dreamed about.

Nowadays, with Surfline spewing their guts about every ripple on the seas it's getting harder to find a descent crew at those same spots that were empty a generation ago, much less an empty wave when the swell is pumping!

WiLDCOAST/COSTASALVAjE has a program to keep those wild places free from developers and are doing a great job. If you remember Cabo San Lucas 25 years ago before, it turned into Las Vegas, you can appreciate how quickly the Central Coast of Baja can be lost forever.

Next time you head south please match the costs of the tolls you pay and give to this worthy cause. Your kids will appreciate it!
http://www.wildcoast.net/programs/1-valle-de-los-cirios-paci...

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by BajaNomad]

elgatoloco - 10-12-2014 at 01:09 AM

Right on

David K - 10-12-2014 at 07:28 AM

Best of luck to them... I wonder how the fish camps will get along with the concept?

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2014 at 07:29 AM

They are indeed doing a wonderful job of buying up land and declaring them preserved forever!

Sofia, some others and I have worked together on many a project. They are amazing in action and impress me with their energy and knowhow. The director Serge treats them with the upmost respect, which is great to see in action!

woody with a view - 10-12-2014 at 07:43 AM

The ejido sells the land and it is put into a conservancy. fish camps go on business as usual, just no developers in the future. read up on it.

David K - 10-12-2014 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
The ejido sells the land and it is put into a conservancy. fish camps go on business as usual, just no developers in the future. read up on it.

Was thinking of the trash and road improvements. If business as usual, then Wildcoast will be busy cleaning up after each fishing season. Bad roads are what keep out people, but also makes hauling fish out by trucks harder. If Wildcoast catches a fish camp grading a road, just how will that be handled, I wonder?

woody with a view - 10-12-2014 at 08:03 AM

think developers, parceling off acres to speculators, etc.... the roads are already there.

BooJumMan - 10-12-2014 at 08:04 AM

Maybe after this year's hurricanes the roads will be like the early 90's again! Lots of mud an impassable low areas.

Woody did you notice that Google earth updated their images of the area. Of course during a pumping swell. Ugh!

woody with a view - 10-12-2014 at 08:07 AM

yeah, a friend pointed it out. still lotsa spots if you spend the time to find them.

DianaT - 10-12-2014 at 08:20 AM

WiLDCOAST/COSTASALVAjE is doing a great job in many areas. They also have active environmental programs in towns and villages, as Blanca mentioned. And they are involved in many, many other environmental projects. They are well worth supporting!

Another environmental group that is also working to more Baja land in trust and under protection and well worth support is, Terra Peninsular

One of their projects has been around San Pedro Matir and another around San Quintin. Good people and good works.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by DianaT]

MMc - 10-12-2014 at 08:49 AM

10 years I stopped giving to Surfrider and now it all goes all to wild coast, they do so much good work.
Thank you Woody for posting this.

Gaucho - 10-12-2014 at 09:37 AM

Great post Woody.

I can't help but think what Yosemite would look like today had congress not acted in 1890 and set aside more than 1500 square miles of open space.

This is not a partisan issue. It's just the right thing to do.

DianaT - 10-12-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Great post Woody.

I can't help but think what Yosemite would look like today had congress not acted in 1890 and set aside more than 1500 square miles of open space.

This is not a partisan issue. It's just the right thing to do.

We recently took a boat ride up the beautiful Rogue River and the pilot stopped and showed us exactly where there was going to be a dam before the Wild River Act fortunately stopped it! And President Obama just proclaimed much of my beloved San Gabriel Mountains a National Monument to further protection. It is all good.

While we no longer live in Imperial Beach, we still own some properties, and not so long ago we were there to check on things, and I was quite surprised to see Serge Dedina running for mayor! That is a very divided community.

Just a side note to bump this up again --- wildcoast/costasvalje is very worthy of your donations. They always get some of our's.

pappy - 10-13-2014 at 01:10 PM

years ago when this was first getting off the ground there was discussion of volunteer "ranger" service to kinda keep an eye on things.

BooJumMan - 10-13-2014 at 07:38 PM

Check this out! Vote for WILDCOAST for $5k donation... http://www.cox-cares.org/foundation/grants/5kgiveaway/

woody with a view - 10-13-2014 at 07:45 PM

NICE!

Mexitron - 10-13-2014 at 07:47 PM

Yep, Wildcoast is awesome.

Frigatebird - 10-13-2014 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Check this out! Vote for WILDCOAST for $5k donation... http://www.cox-cares.org/foundation/grants/5kgiveaway/

Done!