BajaNomad

Lopez Mateos Update

Mula - 10-15-2014 at 02:53 PM

Just posted this on bdoutdoors in response to someone wanting to know what is new in Lopez.

A new roasted chicken place by the ramp - the do carne asada by the kilo too. Been doing a good business.
A new Taco stand next to the Hardware Store.

The Super Burro - Javier and Mary Lou is still going strong.
Norma's Saturday and Sunday nights for Sopes, Tostadas and Flautas and of course the Baja Mar.
Hoyt's have their pizza parlor open on Saturday nights and Sundays, I think.
Good shrimping and expecting a good lobster season.
No one is doing Tiburon outside since the shrimping is so good.

Been a very hot summer for Lopez. We put a bigger air conditioner in our house and moved the smaller unit to the bedroom.

Don't know if the big fish have re grouped out at the banks since the storms. Haven't heard anything positive yet except Nov. is supposed to be good out there.

Road coming in is going to hell - so watch out.
New street lights are impressive and no one has impaled their cars or themselves on them yet.

rzitren - 10-15-2014 at 03:39 PM

Hi
Quick question. Planning on flying into the airstrip there at Lopez Mateos on the 24th of Oct. What is the condition of the strip? Thanks

Mulegena - 10-15-2014 at 03:42 PM

Good to catch up with you, Mula. It's been quite a month for Baja Sur. Since we were without wifi for several weeks I'm still out of touch: How did you and your two towns fair? How are you and your beautiful mules?

Mula - 10-15-2014 at 04:57 PM

Call Ing. Juan Manuel Icedo Ojeda
52 1 613 131 5148
juanmice@prodigy.net.mx

for airport information in Lopez. He is the Comandante Honorario Aerodromo MTB here.

He does not speak English.

He can give you the conditions and the landing fees - which seemed to me to be quite steep last spring when I talked to him. But maybe you can negotiate.

Mula - 10-15-2014 at 04:59 PM

Mulegena,

We survived just fine compared to you guys.

We are still in Lopez and will be here until December.

I moved the mules and 1 horse to San Nicolas last week-end, so they are happily grazing out there.

It's been quite the summer, huh?

Looking forward to the cooler weather, but not the winter. . . .

weebray - 10-15-2014 at 06:01 PM

Last year I noted that our former governor Agundez who was convicted of looting the state of millions had been released after serving his mandatory three weekends in jail. Is he back at work on the cubical hotel he started to build there with government supplied labor and materials?

monoloco - 10-15-2014 at 07:29 PM

Mula, How did San Nicolas fare in the hurricanes?

rzitren - 10-15-2014 at 09:12 PM

Mula, Thanks for the contact on the airport.

Mula - 10-16-2014 at 04:15 AM

Monoloco,

San Nicolas only lost a few trees and palms. No water or house damages there. The road is already graded and repaired from the water run off, so everyone is happy there. But the fishing sure went south! Water too warm, I guess. Roosters are in now.

Weebray,
I heard last week that the outfit that owns all the fueling facilities at the ports have taken over the eco-hotel. There has been work on it for the last year or so now.

I was told that company is going to use it as a training facility for tourism students??????

It is a strange and eerie place - to me.