BajaNomad

They come in waves.

bajacalifornian - 10-26-2014 at 03:56 PM

A couple hours before sunset, if I throw a cup of my parrot's food out . . . around,

in a few minutes the sparrows show up. Skittish watchful . . . on a mission, they swoop in low around the bottom of the trellis.

As an elite strike force, they eyeball the place dancing through openings, then move in on the food.

Wave by wave follow the ritual. Seemingly, brought forward.
I have no idea their communication.

Paulina - 10-26-2014 at 07:09 PM

Like!

Birds make my heart happy. We have the usual suspects hanging out at the feeder as well as hummingbirds. Our favorite right now is a wild hen turkey who was interested enough to check out my feeble attempt to communicate with a turkey call one weekend. She has been here for five months now. She sleeps in the tree top across the driveway, flies down in the morning when we open the slider.

I was eyeballing the canaries at the swap meet this morning. When I live full time in baja one day, I'll have lots of birds.

P>*)))>{

güéribo - 10-27-2014 at 07:57 AM

Mine too, Paulina. I loved the "birds we see" thread. I'd like to see more Baja bird posts with photos.

Regarding wild turkeys, here's the one that looked in the window at our friends' cabin.

Pompano - 10-27-2014 at 09:56 AM

You'll like these, Paulina.

Some honkers feeding in our field this morning.

It always impresses me how the Canadian geese are SO disciplined..

BornFisher - 10-27-2014 at 02:50 PM

So that`s why I heard Hugo cussing out the sparrows!!!!

bajacalifornian - 10-27-2014 at 05:23 PM

Hey,

He watches them with me . . . doin' the janitor sweep thing right now.

Paulina - 10-27-2014 at 05:45 PM

Pomp,
Your Canadian geese are very disciplined, where as my Snow geese turned out to be quite the wedding crashers last May.

Gueribo,
That turkey in the window pic is something we see here too.

She's also handy when changing out the oil on the big truck...

Speaking of turkeys, here's the four legged one for Jeff...

P>*)))>{

Bob53 - 10-27-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

She's also handy when changing out the oil on the big truck...

Hmmm... I see two turkeys in this picture.

Paulina - 10-27-2014 at 05:53 PM

You got me there, Robert!

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 28-10-2014 by Paulina]

Pompano - 10-27-2014 at 06:52 PM

We lived with a pair of lovebirds for a while at the Coyote Bay casa. Named Ron y Cola. We built a cozy nesting box inside their cage in hopes of some eggs. They chirped merrily away for a long time with nothing happening, but when we had to fly back to the US on an emergency, we put them in the care of mi amigo, Manuel, in his Mulege grocery store.

When we returned much later, he advised us that there had been no eggs, no hatchings, no nada. He rolled his eyes and said, "Quebrachos."

Oh well, just had to change the housetag to Ron y Ron.

bajalearner - 10-27-2014 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by güéribo
Mine too, Paulina. I loved the "birds we see" thread. I'd like to see more Baja bird posts with photos.

Regarding wild turkeys, here's the one that looked in the window at our friends' cabin.

It's the opposite of me looking into the glass on the oven door on Thanksgiving day. :?: Is it done yet?

bajacalifornian - 10-27-2014 at 08:41 PM

Handy is lookin' fine!

bajacalifornian - 10-27-2014 at 08:48 PM

Paulina,

Stylin' . . . Been saving feathers from my parrot. All orange.