BajaNomad

Baja week

JohnK - 10-27-2014 at 10:12 AM

Just back after a week in Baja. Crossed into Tijuana Saturday the 18th, picked up tourist cards at the office to the immediate right after crossing. Then south on the toll road, which detoured the last third of the way into Ensenada. Made it as far as Catavina before it got dark, so we spent the night there. Sunday on down to BOLA. There have been storms and rain and I have never seen Baja this green. It's springtime, literally. Lots of flowers, blossoms. The road from town to La Gringa is severely degraded and would not be drivable without high clearance and 4WD. We love it there, tho we did wince a little when the host couple charged us 100 pesos a night for our two nights. The big issue right now, as other Baja nomads have mentioned, is bugs. Lots and lots of aggressive flies.
On Tuesday we drove to Baja Asuncion and stayed at La Bufadora Inn. That's where I had to turn on my iPhone to remind myself what day it was, which is the whole purpose of going to Baja. It was our first time there and I can't say enough good things about Shari and Juan, their hospitality, and the spectacular location of the Inn. We had a wonderful three days there. On Friday we drove north, picked up some pesos at the ATM in Guerro Negro and drove up to Santa Rosalillita. Spent the day at the beach, and the night at the little 5-room motel. Rudimentary, but fine. On Saturday we drove up to Jardines and spent the night and had dinner. Wow, our first time there. Wonderful rooms, great restaurant. Yesterday we drove up to Tecate. There was an issue in town, which I'll describe in a separate posting. The border wait was 45 minutes, not bad for a Sunday. The border officer was courteous, professional and friendly, which has been my experience with every crossing the last couple of years. I'll try to post a couple of pictures if I can.

David K - 10-27-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
Just back after a week in Baja. Crossed into Tijuana Saturday the 18th, picked up tourist cards at the office to the immediate right after crossing. Then south on the toll road, which detoured the last third of the way into Ensenada. Made it as far as Catavina before it got dark, so we spent the night there. Sunday on down to BOLA. There have been storms and rain and I have never seen Baja this green. It's springtime, literally. Lots of flowers, blossoms. The road from town to La Gringa is severely degraded and would not be drivable without high clearance and 4WD. We love it there, tho we did wince a little when the host couple charged us 100 pesos a night for our two nights. The big issue right now, as other Baja nomads have mentioned, is bugs. Lots and lots of aggressive flies.
On Tuesday we drove to Baja Asuncion and stayed at La Bufadora Inn. That's where I had to turn on my iPhone to remind myself what day it was, which is the whole purpose of going to Baja. It was our first time there and I can't say enough good things about Shari and Juan, their hospitality, and the spectacular location of the Inn. We had a wonderful three days there. On Friday we drove north, picked up some pesos at the ATM in Guerro Negro and drove up to Santa Rosalillita. Spent the day at the beach, and the night at the little 5-room motel. Rudimentary, but fine. On Saturday we drove up to Jardines and spent the night and had dinner. Wow, our first time there. Wonderful rooms, great restaurant. Yesterday we drove up to Tecate. There was an issue in town, which I'll describe in a separate posting. The border wait was 45 minutes, not bad for a Sunday. The border officer was courteous, professional and friendly, which has been my experience with every crossing the last couple of years. I'll try to post a couple of pictures if I can.

Thanks for the report... Photos will be great! If you need help on how to post photos, let me know... Here's my how to guide (first post in photo forum on Nomad: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085