BajaNomad

Traffic fine in Tecate

JohnK - 10-27-2014 at 10:21 AM

In Tecate yesterday, I got pulled over by a police officer on a motorcycle and "fined" on the spot for a traffic infraction. My Spanish isn't that good, but it sounded like I had entered or exited an intersection before two pedestrians had stepped onto the sidewalk. I don't know where this happened, but it was 1:15 PM and he pulled me over when I made the left turn onto the main 2-lane Garita road adjacent to the border fence. This was several hundred yards behind the end of the line. The officer, medium height, stocky and in his mid to late 30s, was exceedingly amiable and conversational. After a few minutes of banter, he asked to see my license. He described my infraction and indicated that a fine had to be paid. 900 pesos. My wife gasped, which seemed to rattle him. He explained how this could play out, I understood that it could be taken care of on the spot. I should say that I am completely unprepared for something like this and have no clue whatsoever about how to handle a matter like this. I haven't been in a situation like this since crossing a border in Western Africa in 1973. I dug the 900 out of my wallet, but he looked around and waved them back. Then he asked me to open my glove compartment. He pointed at the piece of paper on the top, which happened to be my registration. He didn't look at it when I gave it to him, just showed me with hand gestures that it should be folded, the bills put in the fold, and then given to him. This I did. He took the bills, and gave me my registration and license back. At no point was anything written down, no citation. He then asked me, repeatedly, if everything was OK. If I was happy. My wife and I assured him we were happy. Then he shook my hand. Then my wife's hand. I thought for a moment she wasn't going to do it, but she did. So he waved us on, with a smile, and we drove forward to the back of the line.
At no point did we feel threatened or badgered. Frankly just astonished. I suppose I should read up on the appropriate responses in a situation like this.
Strange times.

monoloco - 10-27-2014 at 11:17 AM

Congratulations, you just reinforced the stereotype that gringos are easy marks.

JohnK - 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM

So - how would you have handled the situation?

nandopedal - 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi John, there is plenty of info on this board about what to do, do a search on traffic fines specially in TKT.

DawnPatrol - 10-27-2014 at 12:18 PM

call his bluff and say lets go to the station, without giving him your documents... some people keep old drivers licenses in their car to hand them in case he boogies off with them in hand... then if he actually makes you get out of line, then he will at some point leave you.... then the worst that happens is that you have to get back at the end of the line...

And you could also hand him the "Sindicatura" card ... thats like holy water and a crucifix to a vampire !!!!

Alan from San Diego

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by DawnPatrol]

gallesram - 10-27-2014 at 12:19 PM

John, it is a rattling experience no doubt. Unfortunately it has happened to a lot of us and after researching this board (and others) I have learned that unless you really have done something wrong, you need to politely but firmly refuse to pay any fines on the spot and offer to go to the police station to settle the matter. Usually that will cause the cop to realize that you know the "game" and he'll move on to another victim. It's not easy to do at first but you'll get the hang of it after a few times. I also never hand over my license, but instead keep it in my hand and only display the information for the cop to see. Some people bring a copy with them and only give that to the cop but I usually forget to bring a copy. I also speak only in English. It is definitely a game of chicken but will save you paying unnecessary morditas in the future.

motoged - 10-27-2014 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol

And you could also hand him the "Sindicatura" card ...

Where/how do I get this "card" ?

I have downloaded the "apple w/ a bite" image a few years ago from this forum, but don't think this is "the card".

Report it

bajaguy - 10-27-2014 at 12:31 PM

You should always report (in writing) to the Baja Director of Tourism, the mayor of Tecate, and the State Attorney General (although you broke the law when you paid him)

I also would research on line and purchase a video dash cam. Less expensive ($16-$25) can be had on Amazon.com. A better one can be purchased from here

http://shop.komando.com/the-komando-dual-lens-dash-cam-bundl...

Video evidence is hard to beat....and let them know you are recording

cj5orion - 10-27-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

X 2 ? :?:

monoloco - 10-27-2014 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
John, it is a rattling experience no doubt. Unfortunately it has happened to a lot of us and after researching this board (and others) I have learned that unless you really have done something wrong, you need to politely but firmly refuse to pay any fines on the spot and offer to go to the police station to settle the matter.
Even if you have committed an infraction, you should still demand to go to the station, the multa is usually much less than the mordida. If everyone did that, maybe they'd start getting the idea that it's not worth the trouble to shake people down. If you are determined to pay a bribe, at least try and negotiate it down, take your time, start low balling him, if he insists on a higher amount, tell him you have plenty of time and you'd rather go to the station and pay the multa, time is on your side, the longer you delay, the more nervous he'll get, sometimes they'll give up if you suggest that you are going to mention to the commandante, that he wanted you to pay the "fine" to him.

bajaguy - 10-27-2014 at 01:29 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=62999

And you might try this:

Tome nota de su nombre y número de placa. Gracias
(Please write down your name and badge number.)

Or you could take it a step further with this:

Tome nota de su nombre y número de placa. Quiero que el director estatal de turismo para saber lo que es un buen trabajo que está haciendo en la recolección de multas Gracias
(Please write down your name and badge number. I want the state director of tourism to know what a nice job you are doing in collecting fines Thank you)

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by bajaguy]

JohnK - 10-27-2014 at 01:46 PM

Yeah, I guess I was a bit of a sap here. I'll try to approach the situation with a bit more street smarts if it happens again. I just found the whole thing astonishing. Yesterday was Sunday. Would the police station have been open for this type of business?

gallesram - 10-27-2014 at 02:27 PM

This is the sticker I have on the back of my car; it has worked so far and I haven't been pulled over in several years:

I don't know if the police station is open on Sundays because as many times as I have asked to go there it has never happened. I have read of others going, however, so don't assume it won't happen. Just be patient and if he says the station is closed (which is likely), just tell him you have all day and can wait as long as necessary. There are so many other people to pick off that he'll realize you're not worth his time and he'll likely move on. At least that's been my experience.

A-OK - 10-27-2014 at 03:00 PM

This is what keeps the mordida wheels spinning. And you both shook his hand as he thanked you for being "OK" with being robbed by him?
Wow.

gallesram - 10-27-2014 at 03:10 PM

Not everybody knows how the system works; we have all learned it the hard way. It's scary being pulled over by a police officer in a foreign country. I did the same thing the first time it happened to me; my family was in the car and the last thing I wanted was for me (or any of us) to go to jail. Having a forum like this to discuss these things is what helps educate people on what they can do.

Good info

bajaguy - 10-27-2014 at 03:15 PM

http://www.las-gaviotas.com/Baja-Traffic-Tickets.htm

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/authorities.php

monoloco - 10-27-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
http://www.las-gaviotas.com/Baja-Traffic-Tickets.htm

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/authorities.php

I noticed that "not giving a pedestrian the right of way" is a 253 PESO fine. The OP would have saved quite a bit by going to the station even if he was guilty.

mtgoat666 - 10-27-2014 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
This is the sticker I have on the back of my car; it has worked so far and I haven't been pulled over in several years:

I don't know if the police station is open on Sundays because as many times as I have asked to go there it has never happened. I have read of others going, however, so don't assume it won't happen. Just be patient and if he says the station is closed (which is likely), just tell him you have all day and can wait as long as necessary. There are so many other people to pick off that he'll realize you're not worth his time and he'll likely move on. At least that's been my experience.

what do the cops really think when they see this on your car?
i suspect it's offensive to the cops, and makes them more resolved to mess with you by catching you in any infraction no matter how trivial,...

gallesram - 10-27-2014 at 04:02 PM

I guess you didn't see what I wrote: I haven't been pulled over once since I put this on my car 3 years ago. I frankly got sick and tired of being pulled over and this has worked; I'm not telling everyone to do it, just passing along what has worked for me. And I'm pretty offended being targeted for a mordita over and over, too.

JohnK - 10-27-2014 at 04:15 PM

Gotta say, the handshaking thing was really weird. I wonder if they're aware of how alienating this is. I'm headed over to Norway on Wednesday for a couple of weeks of family and friends (I grew up there). If I were to mention this experience, which I'm not going to do, it would immediately put Baja and Mexico on people's no-go list.

sancho - 10-27-2014 at 04:16 PM

I think Mex cops might use the Sindacutra sticker as a napkin
after lunch

Bob53 - 10-27-2014 at 04:26 PM

The last time I was pulled over was in San Quintin a couple years ago. The officer came over and shook my hand and introduced himself. He pointed out that my trailer lights were not working. He was very polite and said that it was not safe at night. I explained that I was parking about 2 miles down the road. I wiggled the trailer wire plug and got the lights to work and he shook my hand again and told me to have a safe trip. Not all cops are bad.

David K - 10-27-2014 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
So - how would you have handled the situation?

Sorry you were ripped off... next time:

Just say NO.

What if you didn't have $900 pesos? Never have all your trip money in one place or where the cop can see it.

By law, cops are NOT allowed to take money from drivers. IF you really broke a law, go to the station and pay a small fine (much less than the same offense in the U.S.).

What happened is they know you are scared and fear going to jain in Mexico, so they have their way with you. IF you are sure you didn't run a stop sign or do anything, then be firm, but polite... SMILE, NOD, and REFUSE to pay the cop... say you will follow him to the judge/ station and pay there... Without exception, the cop will stop before the station, return your license, and send you on your way to go after easier prey.

Read the post by Paulina how she handled the cop that was stupid enough to pull her over!

UnoMas - 10-27-2014 at 05:55 PM

I never pay mordita to the cops. Just hold my ground and tell them I will pay at the station, have always been let go with a warning after some some back and forth discussion once they realize I am not an easy mark.
Just look at it like you made a nice contribution to his Christmas fund. You can expect it to get worse as the holidays get closer.:o

mulegemichael - 10-27-2014 at 07:34 PM

you've already mentioned it here; it's all over the internet by now.....no big deal....i now tell local cops to kiss my ass and take me to the station....not the feds but the local cops....if you can make eye contact and are firm, yer gonna drive right outta there....i have been shook down waaaaaayyy to many times to have it happen again.....just look them in the eye and challenge them to arrest you...seems like we do it yearly on our trips north and south...no time for it.

JohnK - 10-28-2014 at 06:56 AM

Thank you all for the input. As my wife just said, "now we know".

DawnPatrol - 10-29-2014 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

I have downloaded the "apple w/ a bite" image a few years ago from this forum, but don't think this is "the card".

My card is very shopworn and faded, so it wouldnt scan good...
But the address for the S.O.S (Support of Sindicatura) is
7349 Milliken Ave #140-234
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This is a very old card and I dont even know if they are a viable place any longer

nandopedal - 10-29-2014 at 11:45 AM

If you wish to blow the whistle send it to: denuncia@sindicatura.gob.mx

Bob53 - 10-29-2014 at 12:10 PM

So are you actually required, by law, to hand over your driver's license to the police officer?

gallesram - 10-29-2014 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
So are you actually required, by law, to hand over your driver's license to the police officer?

Good question; I'd like to know if anyone knows the answer. I'll bet the law probably says something like "present" a driver's license upon request, which is vague.

I never give the officer possession; I hold it in my hand so he can read it and see it's current. If he reaches for it I pull it back. Frankly, it's all pretty nerve-racking but an unfortunate part of the game of chicken. I haven't yet had the officer demand physical possession, but that doesn't mean it isn't required.

I think it's a matter of conveying to the officer that you know the game that's being played and you're not going to pay; therefore this is a big waste of his time.

Bajaboy - 10-29-2014 at 12:19 PM

I find a bit of irony here. Some are saying to pay at the station when pulled over by a cop but then insist it's okay to pay an immigration official in lieu of paying at the bank.

woody with a view - 10-29-2014 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Good question; I'd like to know if anyone knows the answer. I'll bet the law probably says something like "present" a driver's license upon request, which is vague.

I never give the officer possession; I hold it in my hand so he can read it and see it's current. If he reaches for it I pull it back. Frankly, it's all pretty nerve-racking but an unfortunate part of the game of chicken. I haven't yet had the officer demand physical possession, but that doesn't mean it isn't required.

I think it's a matter of conveying to the officer that you know the game that's being played and you're not going to pay; therefore this is a big waste of his time.

I've also heard that in small towns the turds will take your license plate(s) if your car is parked illegally. to get them back you go to the cop shop, pay the fine and get your plates back.:light:

gallesram - 10-29-2014 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Quote:

I've also heard that in small towns the turds will take your license plate(s) if your car is parked illegally. to get them back you go to the cop shop, pay the fine and get your plates back.:light:

That has happened to me; actually it was in Acapulco and that's exactly what I had to do. The fine wasn't much but the process was a major pain; not a fun way to eat up vacation time.

DENNIS - 10-29-2014 at 02:47 PM

Quote:

This was SOP in Mexico for years. Street cops would walk around with pliers and a screwdriver in their pockets.
Now the have Uzi's.

monoloco - 10-29-2014 at 04:22 PM

Maybe we should start carrying cheap cordless screwdrivers to offer up as bribes.

DENNIS - 10-29-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Maybe we should start carrying cheap cordless screwdrivers to offer up as bribes.

If they want them, they'll take them because they resemble firearms. :fire:

David K - 10-29-2014 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I find a bit of irony here. Some are saying to pay at the station when pulled over by a cop but then insist it's okay to pay an immigration official in lieu of paying at the bank.

Immigration officials who are authorized to accept the tourist card tax, with a cash drawer in their office, stamping it paid... NOT under the table and wink wink. It has been available service since early 2012... I confirmed it at Tijuana and Tecate and posted the news here. Earlier that year others before me reported that INM was now legally taking the money to alleviate the need for an open bank at the border the same hours as the border is open.

Bajaboy - 10-29-2014 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Immigration officials who are authorized to accept the tourist card tax, with a cash drawer in their office, stamping it paid... NOT under the table and wink wink. It has been available service since early 2012... I confirmed it at Tijuana and Tecate and posted the news here. Earlier that year others before me reported that INM was now legally taking the money to alleviate the need for an open bank at the border the same hours as the border is open.

Please show me where in writing that it is okay to pay the immigration officer? I'm sure the police officer that takes cash directly would say the same thing:light:

woody with a view - 10-29-2014 at 07:32 PM

Zac, he CONFIRMED it. what else do you need? everyone knows that an experience in Mex is mostly a one time thing..... CONFIRMED would be like aliens are landing on the lawn of the White House. not trying to be racial......:lol:

rts551 - 10-29-2014 at 07:38 PM

Many people like and respect Bajabound. This is what they put in writing on their website

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

David K - 10-29-2014 at 07:40 PM

Wow, it isn't hard to see, it was in the middle of the day, at a busy border, fees are paid to either legally and the paper is stamped paid.

At Tecate, I pulled over and asked, as I wasn't buying one then.

Who told you the officers can't take the cash since 2012, and why do you believe them instead of the INM officers at different borders, on different trips???

dtbushpilot - 10-29-2014 at 07:43 PM

It's because YOU said it David, that's enough for your fan club to start throwing stones....

rts551 - 10-29-2014 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Wow, it isn't hard to see, it was in the middle of the day, at a busy border, fees are paid to either legally and the paper is stamped paid.

Who told you the officers can't take the cash since 2012, and why do you believe them instead of the INM officers at different borders, on different trips???

Interesting event at Tecate since the immigration officer is in the building, and the customs officials will not let you pull over there to go inside. guess you were just lucky.

rts551 - 10-29-2014 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
It's because YOU said it David, that's enough for your fan club to start throwing stones....

and for the chickens to gather around the coup.

Maybe sometimes Davids stuff does not pass the sanity check with everyone. And as he puts it, this is an open forum where people can state their opinions and disagree. Of course that is generally after a political rant.

Bajaboy - 10-29-2014 at 08:13 PM

Quote:

David, in December, as I posted on Nomads, I tried to get my FMT at Otay Mesa. The officer told me the bank was closed and he could not accept my payment. He said I could go to the airport or to Chaparral.

Now why would he make me go through all that trouble if he could legally take my money? Keep drinking the Kool Aid:lol:

Marla Daily - 10-29-2014 at 08:18 PM

We have reported the actions of this motorcycle cop on another thread. Same description of the man anyway. I'm sorry the OP ran into him and got "taken." For what it's worth, we out-waited him and simply refused to pay. He eventually left. Also, it is a good idea to carry a laminated copy of your drivers license and present that. No big deal if it isn't returned.

LancairDriver - 10-29-2014 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David, in December, as I posted on Nomads, I tried to get my FMT at Otay Mesa. The officer told me the bank was closed and he could not accept my payment. He said I could go to the airport or to Chaparral.

Now why would he make me go through all that trouble if he could legally take my money? Keep drinking the Kool Aid:lol:

Probably took you for a clueless gringo and decided to have a little fun.:lol:

Bajaboy - 10-29-2014 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:
Quote:

Probably took you for a clueless gringo and decided to have a little fun.:lol:

No, I don't watch Fox News:P

Lee - 10-30-2014 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

This was SOP in Mexico for years. Street cops would walk around with pliers and a screwdriver in their pockets.
Now the have Uzi's.

It's been a few years. I was in Cabo off the Marina. I'd heard about cops taking license plates and parked at a spot that had signs reading ''30 minutes parking.'' I set my watch timer and was back in 25 minutes. A cop was standing there with a screw driver in his hand ready to take my plate.

No reason to make it easy for them. http://www.jimmijammer.com/product,%20plate%20keeper.html

http://toolmonger.com/2012/09/18/anti-theft-license-plate-fa...

durrelllrobert - 10-30-2014 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
We have reported the actions of this motorcycle cop on another thread. Same description of the man anyway. I'm sorry the OP ran into him and got "taken." For what it's worth, we out-waited him and simply refused to pay. He eventually left. Also, it is a good idea to carry a laminated copy of your drivers license and present that. No big deal if it isn't returned.

Yep, sounds like the same TKT motorcycle cop that drives past all the cars in the crossing line up looking for people NOT WEARING SEAT BELT, pulls you out of line and tells you to pay him the 500 peso fine. If you pay it he stops traffic and lets you back in line and if you don't you will have to go around the blocks and get at the end of the line. :fire::fire:

Udo - 10-30-2014 at 01:02 PM

For that same reason, I have super-glued my plates to the FJ Cruiser.
No one will be able to remove the plates without a chisel.

Quote:

DENNIS - 10-30-2014 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Mexicans have chisels. Even the cops Have chisels. :light:

Bob53 - 10-30-2014 at 01:35 PM

They'll just steal your bumper.

rts551 - 10-30-2014 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Mexicans have chisels. Even the cops Have chisels. :light:

I can see just see the looks of his car after they are done.

DENNIS - 10-30-2014 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I can see just see the looks of his car after they are done.

Ohh yeah.. I didn't mention...most of their chisels are on jackhammers. :lol:

mulegemichael - 10-30-2014 at 02:05 PM

the immigration officer at tecate has NEVER offered to take payment for my card...he has ALWAYS sent us to the bank next door....and we cross all the time....bad rumor!

Bajaboy - 10-30-2014 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
the immigration officer at tecate has NEVER offered to take payment for my card...he has ALWAYS sent us to the bank next door....and we cross all the time....bad rumor!

One time we crossed at Tecate and the kiosk was closed so they sent us down the street to the bank.

rts551 - 10-30-2014 at 06:07 PM

My son as always had to go to the bank as well...but then we were never allowed to just pull over and talk to immigration either.

TMW - 10-31-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Interesting event at Tecate since the immigration officer is in the building, and the customs officials will not let you pull over there to go inside. guess you were just lucky.

They won't let you pull in their stalls but go straight to the light turn right and go around the block and come back on the one-way side street and you can park in the parking stalls or on the side of the street with a guy watching your vehicle. Tip him a dollar when you leave.

dtbushpilot - 10-31-2014 at 10:03 AM

About 6 months ago my wife got her FMM at Tecate and paid the immigration officer. I have a perm. card so I dropped her off, drove around the block and parked next to the imm office to pick her up. I guess it's not always the same every time in Mexico, but then again it never has been.