BajaNomad

Baja on TV: Trail of Missions Tour with Raptors, Helicopter, Missions and more! (Nov. 9, 11, & Sunday 16th at NOON PST)

David K - 11-7-2014 at 04:03 PM

4 showings on CBS Sports Network (Direct TV Ch. 221 in California, check your cable or satellite TV service for your channel):

SUN. NOV. 9 @ 4 PM PST
SUN. NOV. 9 @ 11 PM PST
TUE. NOV. 11 @ 1 AM PST
SUN. NOV. 16 @ 12 PM (NOON)

Enjoy Baja on TV: scenery, supporting the orphanages, off road travel, the old Spanish missions and more!

I have no idea how much I am in this, but Cameron said I made the cut. As you recall from last June, when I was invited to come along for 3 days of their week + tour of the missions and off road trails, Cameron Steele had me provide some history of the missions in person at two of the missions (Santo Domingo and El Rosario).

There were about 50 people on the tour driving Ford Raptors, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler, Ford, and Dodge trucks... plus the chow trailer and helicopter.

It was a fun 3 days for me with a bunch of great people.

[Edited on 11-16-2014 by David K]

Same show?

John M - 11-7-2014 at 04:09 PM

I assume that all of the times you listed are for the same edition of the film?

John

David K - 11-7-2014 at 04:11 PM

Yes, just multiple air times for those without a DVR if they want to try and see it.

fishbuck - 11-7-2014 at 05:16 PM

Thanks David!

güéribo - 11-7-2014 at 05:33 PM

Hope you might post an internet link if it ends up on the web! Congratulations, David.

Ateo - 11-7-2014 at 06:33 PM

Wish I had that channel.

liknbaja127 - 11-7-2014 at 07:54 PM

We found it on 594 Verizon FIOS, set your dvr. for Sunday 4PM.
Looks like a good watch! Good Job Dave.

David K - 11-7-2014 at 08:04 PM

I just heard that TIME WARNER cable is Ch. 315 (4pm Sunday as well)

David K - 11-8-2014 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
We found it on 594 Verizon FIOS, set your dvr. for Sunday 4PM.
Looks like a good watch! Good Job Dave.

Thank you! I have no idea how many seconds of my lecture at the missions will be shown. The trip was a week long, to Cabo, and I was with them for the three days they had the helicopter along... from San Vicente (Santa Marta Orphanage) to Mission San Fernando. Because of time running out on Day 3, the tour did not stop at that mission, but the copter flew over it before landing just east of the mission to refuel for the trip back to El Cajon, CA.

The trip from Punta San Carlos Solosports resort up to the top of Mesa San Carlos was fun, and seeing the view from the top of the mesa was great. Cameron was filmed doing a commercial for Fox shock absorbers up there, too.

I rode with Cameron in his Raptor from San Vicente to San Quintin on Day 1 and rode with Baja Nomad 'racingron' in his Raptor on Day 2 and 3 and Casey Currie in his Jeep on Day 3 before getting in the copter to come home.

The best part, besides the helicopter ride over Baja, was meeting the really great people on this tour... Ron was super nice, as well as Cameron and his wife Heidi Steele. I was to give a lecture on the overall mission history during our lunch stop at Punta Baja, but Cameron forgot to include that. There is just so much going on when you have that many folks, TV camera crew, support staff, etc. to deal with.

The idea behind then Trail of Mission tour was to share the history, land and people of Baja with all the members of the family of the off road and motorcycle racers...

Typically mostly men participate in Cameron's Rip to the Tip TV specials and other Baja tours. The Trail of Missions was a full family event, and included lodging nightly and not racing (as much as the other events).

Bob H - 11-8-2014 at 11:16 AM

DirecTV 221 for me! I'll be watching .... Chargers bye week... good! You could be the next Huell Houser of Baja !!

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by Bob H]

MMc - 11-8-2014 at 11:17 AM

I hope you get some airtime. I sure they will spend time on the drive and the good will, I hope you don't get lost in the edit.

David K - 11-8-2014 at 12:11 PM

Thanks... if it helps show Baja is the land of adventure and the root of California history, I will be happy. I didn't expect to be in the show, just to have the experience was enough.

Cameron asked his friends for someone who knows about the missions, and that's how he came to find me (thank you Kevin Ward, racer and Dust to Glory producer). Cameron and I actually met back in 2004 at the Off Road Expo, but that was before my extensive work on the missions and the book work. Cameron got copies of the book for every truck on the run, and then asked me if I would like to ride in a helicopter and lecture on the missions to his tour. It wasn't finalized until the day before we left!

David K - 11-8-2014 at 09:10 PM

On COX cable it is Ch. 321 & 1321 in SoCal. Do check your cable guide to be sure.

Ken Cooke - 11-9-2014 at 12:52 AM

With this project and the SCORE programming, I will look into signing up for the CBS Sports Channel tomorrow morning. I checked, and this is an extra sports package, but it is indeed offered by Charter Cable.

ehall - 11-9-2014 at 03:44 AM

Dvr set. Looking forward to the show.

PaulW - 11-9-2014 at 07:02 AM

cbs sports is dish 158, Direct 221
the guide at this time on Dish shows other programming

PaulW - 11-9-2014 at 08:25 AM

Ch 158 Dish Guide was updated overnight. All the 4 shows show up. The 11/9 4PM conflicts with the NASCAR shows. Others show no conflict with my programming.
Paul
=======
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for checking Paul...

Interesting that only Dish isn't showing it 'live' at 4pm Pacific/ 7pm Eastern today? How about the other three showings, or can you search "Trail of Missions" and find when it is showing on Dish Network?

Ken Cooke - 11-9-2014 at 10:28 AM

The more days worth of footage makes for better footage to choose from. This should be great programming. I hope they do it again in 2015.

David K - 11-9-2014 at 12:26 PM

Hear Cameron introduce the show: Trail of Missions Preview Spot

Here is Addictive Desert Designs video ad (music loud) with film from the Trail of Missions, including helicopter...

David K - 11-9-2014 at 05:09 PM

LOL... we are at Josh's house to watch and we discovered he doesn't get that channel! I will see it when I get home. Love DVRs!

Ken Cooke - 11-9-2014 at 09:57 PM

http://www.frequency.com/video/2014-trail-of-missions-by-des...

David K - 11-9-2014 at 10:46 PM

Well, got home and watched the show on the DVR... I thought it was a nice job showing a group of families who are in the Off Road industry have some 'time-out' fun with Cameron and Heidi. I was surprised to get as much air as I did, but it was nice to chat for a few minutes with the group at Santo Domingo and El Rosario missions.

The finger injury by Casey Currie surfing at Punta San Carlos caused him to fly back in the copter with me and the pilot to have the hospital check it out, the next day. The scene of us getting in the copter was shown before the Mesa San Carlos visit, but it actually happened after... and was right near Mission San Fernando.

The Ford Raptors had a few issues as you could see, but as far as I could tell the Toyota Tundra, and Dodge trucks (and Casey's new Jeep) had none... that I saw or heard of.

Many missions were passed up, for the sake of time and to fit into the show. The time shown at San Borja, San Ignacio, and San Javier was nice... as was the walk on El Camino Real at San Borja. Cameron did a good job I think with the history. I am happy to have spent the 3 days with the Desert Assassins and telling them about Santo Domingo and El Rosario.

Thank you Cameron for the opportunity to be a part of this trip, and I hope to be again.

Nice job David

John M - 11-10-2014 at 06:48 AM

Ya did good!

Show was pretty decent.

John M

David K - 11-10-2014 at 09:49 AM

Thanks John... I was pleasantly surprised I didn't stumble on words! I am quite happy to share the mission story... it was a 150 year blip of time on the peninsula, but it had lasting affects and changes. The desired outcome was never quite achieved, but we have monuments of the massive work that was done that stand today, and serve to connect us with the past.

The rock art sites are one way we can connect with the people of the peninsula who lived there before the missions were built. The petroglyph site near San Fernando mission was planned to be one of the sites I was going to show the tour group, but time ran short that day.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by David K]

Frank - 11-10-2014 at 02:29 PM

David K. ... Rockstar!

David K - 11-10-2014 at 06:07 PM

No no, just a fun loving Baja Nomad! Let's have a Baja Fog and party!:light:

MMc - 11-10-2014 at 09:47 PM

Good on you DK. I think some of the history was lost on the campers, but not for a lack of trying of knowledge on your part.

carlosg - 11-10-2014 at 11:24 PM

Thanks David,

I just set my recorder for tonight's showing at 1:00am, I'm really exited to see it tomorrow after work, my family will certainly enjoy it as well. We'll be spending some time in Bahia Concepcion during the Thanks Giving week.

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by carlosg]

David K - 11-11-2014 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosg
Thanks David,

I just set my recorder for tonight's showing at 1:00am, I'm really exited to see it tomorrow after work, my family will certainly enjoy it as well. We'll be spending some time in Bahia Concepcion during the Thanks Giving week.

Great, hope it records it okay... seems a lot of Cox Cable and Dish customers were bummed to find that CBS Sports Network wasn't in their package.

My co-author, Max Kurillo (Cox) was bummed, but he is coming here Sunday so we can car pool up to El Toro (Lake Forest?) to do a slide show lecture on the missions for the Panama Canal Association. The 4th showing of the Trail of Missions is 12pm Sunday, but as I have it recorded, I will show it to Max here before or after our lecture Sunday.

Ken Cooke - 11-11-2014 at 10:15 AM

Leidys and I will bring some Colombian Empanadas to the Sunday slide show in Lake Forest. This should be fun!

David K - 11-11-2014 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Leidys and I will bring some Colombian Empanadas to the Sunday slide show in Lake Forest. This should be fun!

That will be awesome Ken... be sure to contact David Lane as per instructions and tell him you are our (Max Kurillo and David Kier) guests. I think the facility is inside a security gate, so get the data from David Lane...

Here again are the three slide show/ mission lectures this week in SoCal:

3 'Old Missions' Book Lectures in Nov. 2014 (Thu. 13th; Sat. 15th; Sun. 16th)

THUR. NOV 13, TOYOTA DEALERSHIP IN EL CAJON, 6:00pm- 7:30pm, NO CHARGE AND GET A FREE MISSION BOOK, (BE EARLY FOR GOOD PARKING) , 965 Arnele Av.(where the old Home Depot was located).
[This is supposed to be a full house, so come early or RSVP Toyota of El Cajon perhaps? The free book is a special Toyota of El Cajon edition, with a
unique cover, and contains everything that regular book does]

SAT. NOV. 15, LAKESIDE HISTORICAL SOCIETY, all welcome, 5:30 PM at the Old Church, 9906 Main St. Lakeside

SUN. NOV. 16, CANAL ZONE SOCIETY, ALL WELCOME, NO CHARGE, (VERY NICE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE LIVED AND WORKED IN THE CANAL ZONE, PANAMA), Canal Luncheon will be held on Sunday, November 16th, 2014 at 10:30AM , Laguna Woods, CA. in Clubhouse #1 (Pot Luck) w/free coffee, etc. MUST contact: (Tell David Lane you are our guest)
David Lane
619-665-2857 cell

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 11-11-2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

That will be awesome Ken... be sure to contact David Lane as per instructions and tell him you are our (Max Kurillo and David Kier) guests. I think the facility is inside a security gate, so get the data from David Lane...

I sent another text including info that we are your guests and that we plan to bring Colombian Empanadas. Heard nothing yet, but Sunday is still quite a ways off.

Tomas Tierra - 11-11-2014 at 01:32 PM

Great show..mthanks for the heads up.. And good job DK! Lots a broken raptors?

David K - 11-11-2014 at 03:50 PM

Only a couple, but were fixed in short order! We had the helicopter for the first 3 days, so when the Raptor broke a spindle south of Punta Baja, the copter flew to Baja Cactus where the owner's parts trailer was and brought a new one.

The participants in Raptors were off road racers, off road fabricators, pit people, and Monster Energy had the Tundra. The Raptor is a fine riding truck... I rode with Cameron in the front seat and later in the back seat the first day. The second day I was in Racing-Ron's Raptor, the third day I was with Ron until his flat, then Cameron put me in Casey Currie's Jeep, before he and I got in the copter.

Trail of Missions

skippermike - 11-12-2014 at 11:03 PM

David,
Thanks for your commentary, as much as was shown, on the history of the missions.
I know you had much more, but this had to appeal to a specific, wider audience.
I was surprised at the problems with the Raptors. It seems you buy a Raptor and then spend +/- $8,000 to be more likely it won't break.
I saw nowhere where a properly prepped Tacoma couldn't have gone for $30,000 less!
Thanks again.

David K - 11-13-2014 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skippermike
David,
Thanks for your commentary, as much as was shown, on the history of the missions.
I know you had much more, but this had to appeal to a specific, wider audience.
I was surprised at the problems with the Raptors. It seems you buy a Raptor and then spend +/- $8,000 to be more likely it won't break.
I saw nowhere where a properly prepped Tacoma couldn't have gone for $30,000 less!
Thanks again.

Thank you for your observations. Yes, I was surprised they included as much as they did, but Cameron really wanted this trip to be educational on the history... A lot of time was spent getting photo shots for the show. They set the camera crew in a spot, drove back and then drove past the crew so they could capture the scene. The helicopter was awesome, but was only with the group from San Vicente to San Fernando. I hope I am asked and available to go again, and for more missions. The off road driving was still the bigger draw, but that's Cameron... and he does try to show all sides of Baja. This was the first all family tour, with wives and kids, staying in hotels and the Solosports tents.

The Raptors do seem to need stronger spindles, when you put bigger tires and drive them hard. One of the people on the run makes after market spindles, and his Raptor was the first to need them. Seemed several of the Raptors were very new, bought just to make this run, and had not gotten more than different tires and stickers added before the trip? Casey's Jeep Rubicon was just delivered to him and the Monster Energy Tundra was also new.

David K - 11-15-2014 at 10:27 PM

OK, the last broadcast of TRAIL OF MISSIONS is Sunday at Noon (PST) Nov. 16. CBS Sports Network... then you can turn on the Chargers/ Raiders blowout at 1:00! :biggrin::light::rolleyes:

Bob H - 11-16-2014 at 01:50 PM

Ah, turned it on at 12:30pm.. so I missed the first part... between watching this and football. I'm getting really good a flipping between channels!! Show looks very well done!

David K - 11-16-2014 at 03:54 PM

That's what DVRs are great for. Come on up to San Marcos and watch the first half some time...

willardguy - 11-16-2014 at 04:02 PM

I was in a bar earlier waiting for the charger game to start and they had "trail of missions" on!:lol:

David K - 11-16-2014 at 06:00 PM

Clearly she wasn't watching during Minute 5 and Minute 12 ! :lol:

güéribo - 11-16-2014 at 06:38 PM

David, is there anywhere we can watch the whole thing online?

David K - 11-16-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by güéribo
David, is there anywhere we can watch the whole thing online?

Well, today was the last CBS showing (that I know of)... so may if the commercial value is gone, it could be open to showing on You Tube? When I find out, that will be posted here.

It was a nice show but more showed a bunch of families having fun driving down Baja, getting stuck, fixing breaks, with a few minutes time at the missions and the orphanage.

carlosg - 11-17-2014 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks David,

Great, hope it records it okay... seems a lot of Cox Cable and Dish customers were bummed to find that CBS Sports Network wasn't in their package.

My co-author, Max Kurillo (Cox) was bummed, but he is coming here Sunday so we can car pool up to El Toro (Lake Forest?) to do a slide show lecture on the missions for the Panama Canal Association. The 4th showing of the Trail of Missions is 12pm Sunday, but as I have it recorded, I will show it to Max here before or after our lecture Sunday.

I did recorded and have seen it four time now, just last night we enjoyed it again....:biggrin:

nandopedal - 11-17-2014 at 10:58 AM

Great show David.
See your U2U, thanks.

David K - 11-18-2014 at 12:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks David,

I did recorded and have seen it four time now, just last night we enjoyed it again....:biggrin:

You saw it more than me! LOL
My co-author Max came over Sunday morning to pick me up for an Old Missions lecture in Orange County, and watched the show first. Which was my second time. I noted I was on at Minute 5 and Minute 12 from the start (incl commercials).

You can see me waving to the copter with everyone else near La Lobera and later getting into the copter when we flew off with Casey Currie, who snipped the finger tip off while surfing. After that scene, it then showed the group at the top of the San Carlos Mesa... but that was really before the copter took off for the U.S... an hour or two later. You can tell Cameron reads Baja Nomad, because he called me 'David K' on the show.