BajaNomad

Who the H%LL is Ray Jardine?

Fatboy - 11-9-2014 at 08:15 AM

I started out reading on his website about a kayak trip he did in the mid 1970's in the Sea of Cortez.

Then while exploring his website I was simply blown away by what this guy has done.

If I had done just one or two of the things he has done I would feel like I accomplished something in this life.

Here is a PARTIAL list of some of the things he has done....

World class rock climber including 50 first ascents in Yosemite alone.

Invented "Friends' one of the first 'camming' devices

Spent 3 years sailing around the world

Spent 6 months Scuba diving in the Caribbean

An accomplish Hang Glider with over 400 hours in the air.

Hiked the PCT 3 times

Hiked the AT 4 times

Hiked the CDT

Hiked/Biked what he calls the IUA. A Mexico to Canada trip through Arizona, Utah and Idaho. This was hiking through Idaho into Utah then going into a Walmart buying a Mountain bike and finishing the trip that way!

Wrote several books, including hiking hand books and books about sailing.

Did at least 7 long distance kayak trips in the Sea of Cortez including San Felipe to La Paz twice.

Did 7 kayak trips on the Yellowstone river lasting anywhere from 9 to 23 days each.

Kayaked from Washington to Alaska - 100 days and 3,300 miles!

Kayaked in the Arctic including a 78 day trip across the top of Alaska.

A 30 day trip Arctic trip that included 18 days and almost a 1000 miles down the Mackenzie river and an additional 12 days, 200 miles along the Arctic coast.

On one Arctic trip they were stopped by pack ice so decided on an alternate trip which was to kayak the Thelon river. When it took too long for their kayak with all their gear to arrive they again went shopping at Walmart and purchased "...a cheap canoe, paddles, life jackets and rubber boats.'

Paddled the Coppermine river after starting in Yellowknife, crossing the Great Slave Lake, portaged 44 times for a total of 15 miles before reaching the Arctic Ocean.

Designed and built his own kayaks, at least 4 of them. He even wrote a CAD program to design them! Including one kayak he built on Catalina island so he could paddle back to the mainland.

Spent 2.5 years skydiving. making 2591 jumps.

Rowed across the Atlantic ocean.

Bicycled across America coast to coast, not once, not twice, but 3 times.

Skied to the south pole and while there figured what the heck and climbed Mt Vinson.

Attempted to climb Mt. Aconcagua and Mt Everest

Spent two months climbing in the Andes up to 21,000 ft

Motorcycled across the country.

Motorcycled from New Mexico to Prudhoe bay Alaska and back.

Motorcycled down mainland Mexico, caught a ferry to La Paz and rode north through Baja back home.

Motorcycled around the US going from California to Florida to Maine to Washington

Did the Western portion of the TAT.

Motorcycled the Continental divide at least 3 times from New Mexico/Arizona to Canada and back.

capt. mike - 11-9-2014 at 08:23 AM

well obviously he didn't need to work - trust fund kid?? Anyway quite a lot of adventure , he likes adrenalin.

bajaguy - 11-9-2014 at 08:32 AM

What did he do in his spare time??

woody with a view - 11-9-2014 at 08:32 AM

sounds like Forrest Gump's brother, he just kept going!!! when did he get time to relax and take a deep breath?

Who the H%LL is Ray Jardine?

Howard - 11-9-2014 at 08:36 AM

Someone who did not worry about $.

"Jardine is noted for inventing and developing the spring-loaded camming devices called Friends that revolutionized rock climbing in the late 1970s." Maybe that is where his $ stream is from but my $ is with Mike, trust fund kid or he invented air or water for income.

David K - 11-9-2014 at 08:40 AM

How about posting his web site link? :cool:

MMc - 11-9-2014 at 09:07 AM

I meet him Yosemite in the 70's. He invented "Friends" and the patient is for caming devices to protection in climbing. All the companies making cams pay him a royalty, not just folks that make friends. In the 70's he has a full dirtbag climber. He started out a engineer in the airspace. Quit to climb and invented "friends", he reinvented the way we climbed.
His book on ultralight backpacking started a new wave gear. It's known as Rays Way in the backpacking world.
He works out on the edge. His margin for safety is very thin, he knows it and excepts it.
I have not seen him in 20 years but he the real deal.

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by MMc]

Fatboy - 11-9-2014 at 09:35 AM

Not sure how this works....

http://rayjardine.com/

Fatboy - 11-9-2014 at 09:39 AM

I didn't research him but I have the impression he gets by on relatively little and makes his money from his writing and business and is not a 'trust fund' kid. But who knows....

Fatboy - 11-9-2014 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
sounds like Forrest Gump's brother, he just kept going!!! when did he get time to relax and take a deep breath?

Reading some of his stories that is exactly what you think...Run, Forrest, Run!

MMc - 11-9-2014 at 09:53 AM

Once you start the doing, most everything is paid for. Lets face it not a lot of places to spend much money once you start.

Bob H - 11-9-2014 at 10:05 AM

Oh, he's doing OK with making $$$ Look at the order forms on his website.

Amazing story !!

hombre66 - 11-9-2014 at 11:35 AM

I read about RJ in a book about a couple doing the PCT, and the ultralight fanatics they encountered along the way that had been influenced by him. At 62, I am still backpacking due to the wonderful world of ultralite gear. (packweight w/o food 12lb) Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.I now know more about RJ.

luv2fish - 11-9-2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
well obviously he didn't need to work - trust fund kid?? Anyway quite a lot of adventure , he likes adrenalin.

Or Bull$hizzle:lol::lol::lol: