BajaNomad

Comfort Food Quiz? And Political B.S. Rant

Pompano - 11-9-2014 at 10:08 AM

I have a question… and a friendly suggestion.

I'm launching a counter-attack! Are you tired and fed up with reading or having to block all of the political bias, rants, insults, jibes, jeers, & continuous put-downs that comes up on so many Nomad threads?

If so, you might need a Comfort Food quiz.

Here’s a unusual treat you might like .. with no political filling.

While on the road to some terrific walleye/pike fishing this summer we stopped at a renaissance fair being held at St. Malo Provincial Park in southern Manitoba. Lots of ethnic foods to try…like this one.

The nice folks in my photo gave us some info about their product. One could well eat these plain, or with butter, sour cream, and bacon. Sometimes first boiled, then baked or fried usually in butter with onions – usually stuffed with potato filling, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit. The traditional & indulgent toppings of crispy crumbled bacon and sour cream really bring these little buggers to life.

Like any easy finger food, these might be a welcome addition to your Baja camping trip menu.

Some of you will recognize them right away, others more used to southern food choices, may not.

Twinkies of the North, you say? Nope.

Not a fat little taco, either. ;)

What are they? Do you like them? Any favorite recipes?

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Pompano]

mikeymarlin - 11-9-2014 at 10:17 AM

o.k.---do they sell them at Costcos???

Pompano - 11-9-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeymarlin
o.k.---do they sell them at Costcos???

Good question, Mikey. I think they might sell them at the Winnipeg Costco. Does that help?

Howard - 11-9-2014 at 10:32 AM

Wild guess, Pierogi's?

Pompano - 11-9-2014 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Wild guess, Pierogi's?

No, not Pierogis. WAIT!!

Edit to add:

My apologies and congratulations to Howard...I was being the spelling police, but have seen that his spelling is accepted. Usually spelled Perogie, but lots of different ways to spell this little treat. Also spelled perogi, pierogy, perogy, pierógi, pyrohy, pirogi, pyrogie, or pyrogy...jeez..

It's all Ukrainian to me. ;)

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by Pompano]

vandenberg - 11-9-2014 at 11:38 AM

Look like croquettes, street food in Holland.

Howard - 11-9-2014 at 11:46 AM

Do I win a delivery of them to Loreto?
Will trade Perogis for Pacifico. :biggrin:

Pompano - 11-9-2014 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

And so it seems like these perogies are street food in Manitoba. A Canadian amiga just emailed me that there are many fans up there and places to try them. Namely 'Anne's Perogy Palace' in Winnipeg. Being the athletic type, she samples one only occasionally, and warns that over-indulgence could lead to 'thong threat'.

Somehow I doubt if Anthony Boardain will ever feature them on his show "Parts Unknown".

Pompano - 11-9-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Do I win a delivery of them to Loreto?
Will trade Perogis for Pacifico. :biggrin:

Done deal, Howard. The next trip south with the RV, we'll put some in the fridge for you. I'll try to find some made with jalapenos.

Howard - 11-9-2014 at 12:30 PM

Can't wait!

Udo - 11-9-2014 at 03:24 PM

Good one, Roger!

I added the photo to Baja Nomads possible avatars.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

And so it seems like these perogies are street food in Manitoba. A Canadian amiga just emailed me that there are many fans up there and places to try them. Namely 'Anne's Perogy Palace' in Winnipeg. Being the athletic type, she samples one only occasionally, and warns that over-indulgence could lead to 'thong threat'.

Somehow I doubt if Anthony Boardain will ever feature them on his show "Parts Unknown".