BajaNomad

arrested today

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 04:35 PM

I got taken to the tiajuana jail
why
I had a knife in my pocket
the blade was more than 1 inch and less than 2 inches
happened on the corner of benito juarz ,segunda and constitucion accross the street from calimax at 9am

laugh it up, you could be next.

Am I criminal or did I get robed by the cops, again.

After 2 hours in jail $500mxn seemed cheap, I paid

they didn't steal the rest of my money, seems odd.

Bajahowodd - 11-9-2014 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
I got taken to the tiajuana jail
why
I had a knife in my pocket
the blade was more than 1 inch and less than 2 inches
happened on the corner of benito juarz ,segunda and constitucion accross the street from calimax at 9am

laugh it up, you could be next.

Am I criminal or did I get robed by the cops, again.

After 2 hours in jail $500mxn seemed cheap, I paid

they didn't steal the rest of my money, seems odd.

tripledigitken - 11-9-2014 at 04:43 PM

What happened for them to discover you had a knife? What was the jail like?

Bajahowodd - 11-9-2014 at 04:44 PM

If you were carrying a gun, they most certainly had the right to arrest you. But, in this case, I do think it was a shakedown. Do you look like a criminal?

Russ - 11-9-2014 at 04:52 PM

What a load !
You should have stuck to principle and spent a month in jail with all the fun loving folks there. I wonder how many Marines they question about knives now? My Swiss Army knife has a blade that's 1 1/2"

I guess this is what the dept. of tourism would call bringing in the tourist dollar.:light:

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by Russ]

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 04:58 PM

I was walking down the street at 9am drinking coffee
I don't look like a criminal
My clothes were clean
The cop had blue eyes and spoke a lot of English, he lived up north a good many years
Standing room only in the jail
I got bumped to the head of the line when the photo guy discovered I was a gringo I saw him put my paper with my misspelled name inside his shirt

The guy that laid on the floor got a medic, his convulsions became shallow they took him to the hospital I suppose

JoeJustJoe - 11-9-2014 at 04:59 PM

Joerover you give a lot of incomplete information here.

Give us the complete time line, including your conversation with the judge, if there was a conversation. There are certain steps Tijuana cops have to follow when they arrest and jail a criminal suspect, especially if they didn't ask for a bribe, but instead took the alleged suspect to jail.

Giving a complete time line of all the events, will help insure your story is believable to all members of this forum.

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 05:03 PM

it was a Winchester folding knife, small. The cops said 3 fingers max, then squished there fingers together to pass the max. Slightly larger than the one in the photo, slightly

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
What a load !
You should have stuck to principle and spent a month in jail with all the fun loving folks there. I wonder how many Marines they question about knives now? My Swiss Army knife has a blade that's 1 1/2"

I guess this is what the dept. of tourism would call bringing in the tourist dollar.:light:

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by Russ]

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 05:08 PM

no judge
9am stopped on the corner, you hay you
9:15 pickup to jail, hand cuffed to another guy
11am paid 500 pesos to cop that takes photos of criminals
case disolved

DaliDali - 11-9-2014 at 05:21 PM

When the officer stopped you, what did he give as a reason for that stop and how did it go down that he goes into your pocket to find the knife?
Or:
Did you submit to a search of your person?
Did that officer ask you if you had any weapons on your person?
If so, did you retrieve that knife out of your pocket and show him?

"You, hey you".....your referring to how that officer got your attention?
What was the substance of that initial conversation?
How did it get around to finding your knife?

I am sure a lot of us carry a knife for one reason or other.
Mine is a Spyderco lock blade of 2.75" and goes everywhere I go, in my back pocket.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by DaliDali]

BajaBruno - 11-9-2014 at 05:27 PM

It's news to me, but this on the US Consulate, Tijuana website:

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

•You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
•You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
•If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.
Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico.
http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

aguachico - 11-9-2014 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
When the officer stopped you, what did he give as a reason for that stop and how did it go down that he goes into your pocket to find the knife?
Or:

Mine is a Spyderco lock blade of 2.75" and goes everywhere I go, in my back pocket.

You can be seached in Mex for no reason.
Your syderco, nice knife, will get you the same fate.

motoged - 11-9-2014 at 05:55 PM

Geez....I have a Leatherman Wave tool in my backpack or in my toolbelt when on the moto. I hope this means it is "not on my person"....but now am not sure.

One time a military jefe at a highway checkpoint eyed it longingly when he saw it in my tank bag....and passed me on.

Note to self: Don't have knife in pocket....

willardguy - 11-9-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
it in my tank bag....and passed me on.

sounds like simple solution! :yes:

DENNIS - 11-9-2014 at 06:16 PM

The pocket knife law is for real. The allowable blade length is around two inches....not exactly sure.
That includes folding knives of all sorts.

>

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by DENNIS]

Udo - 11-9-2014 at 06:22 PM

I have always carried a multi-tool Leatherman in my pocket. Use it mostly as a tool.

However...I just remembered I have had my diving knife (the one that you use to pry abalone with) with a sheath in my car door pocket. I just left it there once about 16 months ago and forgot all about it.

DaliDali - 11-9-2014 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Or:

You can be seached in Mex for no reason.
Your syderco, nice knife, will get you the same fate.

Dang, I was unaware that searches of the person could go down for no reason.

I hope we get to hear back from the OP on how that exactly went down.
For me anyway, it's hard to fathom the TJ officer doing the "hey you" thing and start searching.

DENNIS - 11-9-2014 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
For me anyway, it's hard to fathom the TJ officer doing the "hey you" thing and start searching.

Yeah...that TJ has always been a landmark of justice. :lol:

woody with a view - 11-9-2014 at 07:22 PM

hmmm.......

no comment!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

wessongroup - 11-9-2014 at 07:32 PM

This is the way i understood the law on knives .. opted to NOT even carry one of those pictured .... mine was red :):)

Maybe if you carry tackle box with the knife inside it might work

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
It's news to me, but this on the US Consulate, Tijuana website:

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

•You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
•You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
•If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.
Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico.
http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

Cliffy - 11-9-2014 at 08:27 PM

I'm sure not a sole down there right now for the 1000 has a knife in their pocket of car kit- Right?

Bajaboy - 11-9-2014 at 08:38 PM

Why does one need to carry a knife?

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 08:52 PM

I eat tomates most days, also like onions, I used it for food.
what is the recomended way to prepare food that needs to be cut up.

Tioloco - 11-9-2014 at 09:02 PM

Joerover-
Can you give us some details on how this came to be? Start to finish? Thx

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 09:20 PM

in the usa an officer has the right to pat you down for weapons, for his own safety. when an officer´s hand enters your pocket, you are legaly under arrest. That is the letter of the law, in the usa.

this is Tiajuana

He showed a great deal of interest in car keys, I had none.

Quote:

no reason was given, note I don´t drink or smoke.

Or:

no
no
and no

He said I want to talk to you
I said I dont want to talk to you
he unzipped his plain jacket to show his police shirt with badge.
no questions and answers, refused to show me his ID. I thought I was being robed by the policia falso. (has happened before), their guns and belts looked real. I was wanting to jump out and flag down a passing patrol car. This is why Mexican people carry money in their shoe. They did not find my $1oo bill.

The search had an ulterior motive. Make a guess...
theft
revenge for gettin deported
brother in law owns the chop shop
credit card fraud
perhaps he just dont like gringos

I am sober and have no visable signs of wealth
legitimate police find no interest in me

Most of the time I bring a small cook kit
pan
knife
fork
alcohol stove
large bag of coffee
or an electric hot plate for a longer stay

this time I brought a small, less than 2 inch blade, folding knife. So, first time I had one in my pocket

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by joerover]

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by joerover]

joerover - 11-9-2014 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Joerover-
Can you give us some details on how this came to be? Start to finish? Thx

sounds like a books worth of typing

why did the falsify the size of the blade to more than 3 fingers wide

hombre66 - 11-9-2014 at 09:58 PM

Somebody set me straight on this "knife law" biz.. If you get stopped on the highway (fed soldiers townie police etc) will they consider kitchen knives (Chefs, paring,boning etc) in your cabover camper a violation and nail you on a technicality?? Hope this aint gonna end up a "cause they can" scene. :o(

Bajaboy - 11-9-2014 at 10:18 PM

Quote:

I normally go into the kitchen, grab a knife and cutting board, and slice the food:?:

DanO - 11-10-2014 at 12:11 AM

Hmmm.

troll.jpg - 9kB

motoged - 11-10-2014 at 12:26 AM

It seems that having a knife "on your person" is the issue...having it stowed in the vehicle or luggage may be the difference.

Don't use kitchen knife while walking down the street...:light:

Cliffy - 11-10-2014 at 09:13 AM

Maybe someone uses a knife to cut fish? It smells fishy around here.

Sweetwater - 11-10-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Geez....I have a Leatherman Wave tool in my backpack or in my toolbelt when on the moto. I hope this means it is "not on my person"....but now am not sure.

One time a military jefe at a highway checkpoint eyed it longingly when he saw it in my tank bag....and passed me on.

Holy chite....I carried a 12" Bowie in my tool kit stored in my luggage my first moto trip up and down Baja.....opened that luggage multiple times at checkpoints, nobody said a word and the handle was always in view....it is one of those "survivor" knives that have a compass, fishing line, flint in the handle....its almost a necessity for backcountry riding.....

willardguy - 11-10-2014 at 09:34 AM

sounds like this cop was either PRO WOODY or ANTI-BICYCLIST! :rolleyes:

Hook - 11-10-2014 at 09:50 AM

To me, it was a shakedown, plain and simple. Actually, I dont even think it was a real cop.

Stunning that people would question his motives for carrying a 2 inch blade around. Like it indicates a flawed character, or something.

willardguy - 11-10-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
To me, it was a shakedown, plain and simple. Actually, I dont even think it was a real cop.

Stunning that people would question his motives for carrying a 2 inch blade around. Like it indicates a flawed character, or something.

think a fake cop would have taken him to the jailhouse???

motoged - 11-10-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

...Holy chite....I carried a 12" Bowie ....its almost a necessity for backcountry riding.....

Really????? I have been riding wilderness backcountry for 40 years and never needed any of those things.....and have survived. When riding and lost, retrace your steps/tracks....buy several Bic lighters....and a 3-4 inch blade works well enough for camp duties (except digging the foxholes and latrine :biggrin: ).

JoeJustJoe - 11-10-2014 at 02:07 PM

I still think we are missing many facts here in this story, and so until I hear all the facts, I'm going to remain unconvinced the story went down as the OP said, although I think something happen.

First of all it's illegal to carry a knife in Mexico, especially Tijuana. It doesn't really matter the size of the knife, because any knife to the throat of a possible mugging victim, is a very effective weapon, and that's probably why Mexican has that law in place.

So the OP broke the law, and really any traveler to Mexico, should know, guns and knives are not permitted.

The only exception to the knife law, according to the "Codigo" the penal code of Baja, is if you have a legitimate use for the knife, for example, you used the knife as part of your job, if you're a cook, or even a fisherman who has the knife in his tackle box.

If I'm a TJ cop, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the excuse that somebody needs the knife to cut tomatoes.

There is nothing about the length of the knife in the " Codigo" that makes the knife illegal after a certain length, and the TJ police probably just came up with a defacto standard of a couple of inches, or if it's a corrupt cop, the knife is illegal whatever size your knife happens to be.

Regarding the stop if its' legal or not. The Mexican Constitution has many protections, just like the US Constitution, and just like the police in the states get around those protections in the US, by using 'reasonable suspicion" rules, especially to minorities. The Mexican cops, pretty much get away with stopping anybody they want, and they often make random stops in Tijuana's more seedy areas, but outside those bad areas, the TJ cops will usually leave you alone.

Now what has me perplexed by the story, is the OP says he was stopped by a TJ cop, over a minor incident of a small pocket knife. TJ cops usually have better things to do, than arrest American tourists with small pocket knives, unless of course he was looking for a bribe.

So why didn't the TJ cop hint at a bribe, and better yet, why didn't the OP say something like, " isn't there a better way we could handle this faster, than a trip to the jail? if it was a corrupt TJ cop, $20 or $40 dollars would have made him go away.

But instead the looks to be honest TJ cop took him to jail, put him in jail, and he paid a fine with no discussion, and he paid the fine to the jailer. I wonder if he got a receipt?

What's also unusual about this incident, is that in Tijuana, there are judges available 24/7, and before you're dumped in a jail cell, the TJ cop will take you before a judge, and most of the time you could settle the fine right there, or the judge will order you to prison.

Now the Mexican Constitution says they could hold you for 48 hours, before charging you with a crime, so I just if they wanted, they could throw you in a jail cell. However, the practice is to take you before a judge, although there have been exceptions.

Finally, what's the OP going to do about it? Is he going to just going complain about the incident on some travel board, like so many people do, which BTW many of those reports are made up according to Captain Obvious on the 'Hotel.com" commercials.

IS the OP going to make an official complaint to the " .Sindicatura" office, which is the equivalent to Tijuana's internal affairs department. Although from the OP's post he seems to be confused if he was a victim to a shake down or not, and really that's a question only he could answer, because he leaves so many facts out.

Hook - 11-10-2014 at 02:22 PM

Given all that he has written about the incident, what will it take for Your Excellency to determine that you have "heard all the facts"?

How about you do your own investigation from the Mexican police/judicial side of things, if you want more than the OP gave. He's given an incredible amount of detail, already.

sancho - 11-10-2014 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe[

Giving a complete time line of all the events, will help insure your story is believable to all members of this forum.

The OP doesn't owe you an explanation, read his post, believe
it or don't believe it. Since when do posts here require a time
stamp, recorded conservation and be notarized? I have no reason to doubt his story

Hook - 11-10-2014 at 03:17 PM

Basically, in so very many words, Joe is calling him a liar.

And that we should believe that TJ cops and judges should be trusted instead of the victim. :rolleyes:

Roll Team Tijuana, Roll !!!!!

DENNIS - 11-10-2014 at 03:24 PM

Quote:

Sure it was a shakedown. That's what some of them do best, but the blade length is an issue, in this case, borderline, but an issue none the less.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by DENNIS]

Hook - 11-10-2014 at 03:31 PM

I am losing faith in a country that bans knives over 2 inches..........yet has police forces that collude with and ignore armed drug gangs.

DENNIS - 11-10-2014 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
I am losing faith in a country that bans knives over 2 inches..........yet has police forces that collude with and ignore armed drug gangs.

Not to mention...most of the country doesn't even have sidewalks to spit on. :o

Sweetwater - 11-10-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

...Holy chite....I carried a 12" Bowie ....its almost a necessity for backcountry riding.....

Really????? I have been riding wilderness backcountry for 40 years and never needed any of those things.....and have survived. When riding and lost, retrace your steps/tracks....buy several Bic lighters....and a 3-4 inch blade works well enough for camp duties (except digging the foxholes and latrine :biggrin: ).

That is not how I was trained whilst backpacking the Wind River Wilderness with my buddy Chuck.....

bajabuddha - 11-10-2014 at 04:51 PM

I personally think Dan-o's post and cartoon about "DO I SMELL A TROLL?" sums this whole thing up.

Also, another comment about "who cares if it's true or not?" also sums this whole thing up.

Remember, this is the guy that polled Nomads about banning Woody. I think he probably got popped for gargling in public. If it looks like horse hockey, smells like horse hockey, it probably is horse hockey.

Much ado about nothing, methinks. :smug:

joerover - 11-10-2014 at 06:13 PM

about a month ago there was a guy who seemed to be taking camera photos of people as they changed money in San ysdrio. Or was he just texting with his camera phone pointed at people
seemed odd at the time. then I went to the airport.

a month later stoped by a cop for no reason

hmm, photos of people who might have something worth taking for example 10,000 pesos

forgot about that tell I changed money today

bajabuddha - 11-10-2014 at 06:17 PM

Hmmmm...... wonder who the Li'l puppy really is?? :?:

Tioloco - 11-10-2014 at 06:34 PM

Sounds like someone with ADHD. Without anything further this is pointless. I think Troll too.

joerover - 11-10-2014 at 06:35 PM

standing at the san ysidro trolley looking northwest, you see the casa de cambio I refer to

they had 13.00 while most others had 12.90 or so

I was slow to connect the dots, but it fits the picture

Tioloco - 11-10-2014 at 06:40 PM

Who's on first?
What's on Second?

Who was buried in Grant's grave?
What color was Napoleon's white horse?

joerover - 11-10-2014 at 06:41 PM

your freedom is a joke

motoged - 11-10-2014 at 09:12 PM

....sólo otro pendejo en la calle... :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist

bajaguy - 11-10-2014 at 10:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

bajabuddha - 11-10-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
....sólo otro pendejo en la calle... :rolleyes:

M..USSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........

ayieee, ayieee, ayiiieeee, iayyyyyeeeee.............

mtgoat666 - 11-11-2014 at 12:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
I still think we are missing many facts here in this story, and so until I hear all the facts, I'm going to remain unconvinced the story went down as the OP said, although I think something happen.

The only exception to the knife law, according to the "Codigo" the penal code of Baja, is if you have a legitimate use for the knife, for example, you used the knife as part of your job, if you're a cook, or even a fisherman who has the knife in his tackle box.

If I'm a TJ cop, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the excuse that somebody needs the knife to cut tomatoes

If joe rover were homeless it would explain his need to slice tomatoes and onions while walking about downtown TJ, eh?

Or he could be a thief, but Jury still out as to whether joe rover is macheath or mackie messer,...

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by mtgoat666]

BajaRat - 11-11-2014 at 10:23 AM

We carry 12+ inch folding tree saws in plain sight on our front seats.
You never know when you might have to remove a twig that gets in your way out there :O

BigOly - 11-11-2014 at 12:13 PM

Debbie and I spend a lot of time out in the Baja boonies chasing birds to photograph. Ever since she was nearly attack by a bobcat at a lagoon she carries a big knife and I always have a sharp machete on my belt. I hope this isn't a potential problem? We wouldn't carry these around in a populated area.

DENNIS - 11-11-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
Debbie and I spend a lot of time out in the Baja boonies chasing birds to photograph. Ever since she was nearly attack by a bobcat at a lagoon she carries a big knife and I always have a sharp machete on my belt. I hope this isn't a potential problem? We wouldn't carry these around in a populated area.

Not a problem, Oly. The problem isn't with tools. It's with the rules enforcers. I mean, who doesn't own a machete?
I doubt there's a rule for long blades. They seem to be written for small blades that can be concealed. This rule is only in place to allow law enforcement to be in complete control over people on the streets.

By the way....taking on a Bobcat with a knife is somewhat akin to getting into a gunfight with a knife....doncha think?

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by DENNIS]

willardguy - 11-11-2014 at 02:04 PM

better than nothing I suppose!:o

BigOly - 11-11-2014 at 02:08 PM

Dennis, I don't think you have met my wife. Oh, and by-the-way, check out my latest blog, just click on the link.

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by BigOly]

aguachico - 11-11-2014 at 09:37 PM

You can travel with knives in your car. They need to be locked in your trunk. I carry three fillet knives back and forth from Tj to San Diego all the time. They have been inspected and admired by adunas and policia several times. As long as they are not in immediate reach, they are not a problem.

carrying a folding knife in TJ on you is breaking the law, being a gringo and carrying it is just asking for trouble.

micah202 - 11-11-2014 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
.......carrying a folding knife in TJ on you is breaking the law, being a gringo and carrying it is just asking for trouble.

.....w.o.w.......thats. just. NUTZ! :wow:

Cliffy - 11-11-2014 at 10:17 PM

Anyone ele ever been topped on the street and searched for no apparent reason? I never have.

bajabuddha - 11-11-2014 at 10:20 PM

THE STORY IS A LARK. I suggest let it go.

Yes, concealed weapons on a person are different than a machete in a back-seat. This yo-yo is TROLLING, and y'all are feeding.

LOOK AT THE SOURCE. It's a bull-puckey article from the start, folks. Feed the little critter and it'll grow.

BajaRun - 11-11-2014 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
standing at the san ysidro trolley looking northwest, you see the casa de cambio I refer to

they had 13.00 while most others had 12.90 or so

I was slow to connect the dots, but it fits the picture

I actually thought about that today as I was changing dollars for pesos, What if the teller calls someone and tells them a gringo just cambio'd 3,000.00 in dollars for pesos.... gives a description and.... It's something to think about!!!

willardguy - 11-11-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
Anyone ele ever been topped on the street and searched for no apparent reason? I never have.

I enjoy walking around the tourist areas of tijuana, not long ago i strayed north of calle coahula, ford F150 with four of the biggest, meanest, TJ cops jumped out had me on the hood, searched, and was told there was only one reason to be in this neighborhood, either buying or selling. this is one block north of the street segundo's.
I get it, tijuana's a tough town and heavily policed. all these guys need is some old gringo to contend with!
I don't venture north of the hong kong anymore!

:yes:

Cliffy - 11-11-2014 at 10:41 PM

I do a lot of trolling, when I fish for trout. Always trying to catch something :-)
Maybe he's trout fishing?

CortezBlue - 11-13-2014 at 11:23 PM

I dont buy it

eguillermo - 11-19-2014 at 04:35 PM

So I guess the knife attached to my PFD that I wear while kayaking could get me in trouble? Probably not, considering where I paddle . . . but this is good information. I'll make damn sure no Swiss army action is in my pockets whenever I'm on the road!!

bajaguy - 11-19-2014 at 05:54 PM

Just strap a machete on your PFD.....problem solved

Quote:
Originally posted by eguillermo
So I guess the knife attached to my PFD that I wear while kayaking could get me in trouble? Probably not, considering where I paddle . . . but this is good information. I'll make damn sure no Swiss army action is in my pockets whenever I'm on the road!!

ChicaSierra - 12-29-2014 at 07:43 AM

Around Nov. 5, or so, a buddy of mine got his knife taken at the Rancho G. Checkpoint. It was in his console. The inspector found it, and asked. "Cuanto?" My buddy, who doesn't speak much Spanish, says "No, no, no." Inspector says "Malo." He takes the knife.
I am guessing this knife had a blade longer than 2", but I'll ask him next time I see him.
Regardless if the TJ story is true, it has definitely brought some light to the subject. We always carry a knife in the Pelican box that sits in the front seat where a console would be. They have never opened that box. Could be they don't know how to open those latches...or maybe the smiling perro muerte in the back seat:? :?: Anyhow, all knifes will be tucked away from now on....Thanks Joerover!

Hook - 12-29-2014 at 08:33 AM

Dont forget your Leathermans, too. I have a small one on my key chain.

Bottom line. If the P-nche cop wants it, he will take it.

I assume that this "rule" in Mexico is not 2 inches, but 5cm. That's a bit shorter than 2 inches, so be aware.

Pompano - 12-29-2014 at 11:47 AM

Why bother to take the chance on losing it at the border?

Buying local is always best.

mrfatboy - 12-29-2014 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChicaSierra  
Around Nov. 5, or so, a buddy of mine got his knife taken at the Rancho G. Checkpoint. It was in his console. The inspector found it, and asked. "Cuanto?" My buddy, who doesn't speak much Spanish, says "No, no, no." Inspector says "Malo." He takes the knife.
I am guessing this knife had a blade longer than 2", but I'll ask him next time I see him.
Regardless if the TJ story is true, it has definitely brought some light to the subject. We always carry a knife in the Pelican box that sits in the front seat where a console would be. They have never opened that box. Could be they don't know how to open those latches...or maybe the smiling perro muerte in the back seat:? :?: Anyhow, all knifes will be tucked away from now on....Thanks Joerover!

The officials at the Rancho Grande checkpoint really seem to have sticky fingers lately.

joerover - 12-29-2014 at 07:55 PM

arrested for changing to much money
dont forget that

micah202 - 12-29-2014 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

arrested for changing to much monkey
dont forget that

...yah,,everyone knows the rules..... one. monkey. at. a. time.

[Edited on 12-30-2014 by micah202]

BooJumMan - 7-24-2015 at 02:02 PM

Just had to reply to this thread. I know its old but... Friend was apprehended this week for having a pocket knife. He was walking in TJ the other night looking for a taco stand. (He's not familiar with the area). When he walked by a cop, the cop asked him what he was doing and if he had any weapons or drugs on him. He said, no. The cop then told him to put his hands up on the car and patted him down. Cop found a pocket knife and hand cuffed him saying he'd be sent to jail for 3 months. Then the cop searched his wallet and found $200. Cop says... Well I can let you go for $200. My friend just said, yes, take it... Obviously most people on this board know of this law, but I hadn't heard of it since this thread was posted last year...

sancho - 7-24-2015 at 03:20 PM

TJ at night? One better have all their ducks in a row, cops prey
on Gringos visiting the Zone, not to mention getting asked for
your wallet by the ratones when walking over the Rio ped bridge area

BooJumMan - 7-24-2015 at 11:37 PM

Yeah no crap. I told him he was an idiot.

And no, Timador, he did not return the knife! ;)