BajaNomad

I'm done with Baja

Bob H - 11-12-2014 at 10:34 PM

I've seen what I wanted to see and experience in Baja. Things are just getting worse down there. I'm DONE with Baja!

There, I've said it!!

Bob H

micah202 - 11-12-2014 at 10:37 PM

. .......but is Baja done with -you-?:spingrin:

elgatoloco - 11-12-2014 at 11:37 PM

I'm not.

JZ - 11-13-2014 at 12:01 AM

What happened Bob? Say it.

redhilltown - 11-13-2014 at 12:58 AM

Nope

DENNIS - 11-13-2014 at 04:21 AM

It isn't what it used to be, that's for certain, but neither am I.
Time to start ignoring the bad and living the good.

Russ - 11-13-2014 at 06:39 AM

Any place you've become familiar with you'll see those changes. Frustrating isn't it? But we just dig in and make the best of it or move on to another life with dreams of the past. Good luck in finding your utopia Bob.

bajabuddha - 11-13-2014 at 06:52 AM

Change is the constant.......

Change is as good as a rest.....

There is a difference between a change of mind and a change of heart...

....grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.

Good luck and happy trails on your next adventures; the world is a beautiful place. It's just unfortunately populated with people who tend to get in the way sometimes. It's a new dawn.......

mtnpop - 11-13-2014 at 06:59 AM

If you love something set it free..
If it doesn't return have a Margarita.......

But thats beside the point for this post....

DENNIS - 11-13-2014 at 07:06 AM

Perhaps we're allowing philosophy to cloud a sad reality.
Mexico, Baja included, is going through an upheaval. Heinous crimes committed by the government in collusion with organized crime are all over today's headlines. Even La Paz, the city of peace, has turned into a killing zone. These things can't be easily ignored as it's impossible to know how, when or where [even if] it will come to an end.
I have a feeling this may be going through Bob's mind at the time, and quite frankly, if I weren't so heavily invested here, I would be sharing his sentiments.
Sad, but true.

Russ - 11-13-2014 at 07:11 AM

I think you're right Dennis. Hoping for a better future ....

chuckie - 11-13-2014 at 07:17 AM

It's sort of cumulative, isnt it? the rising crime rate even in the small towns, higher costs on just about everything, the storms...our advancing ages...We all most likely agree there is no utopia....And Scotty sold El Candils....leaving Mexico...

briantroy - 11-13-2014 at 07:42 AM

Why? Baja is Baja. You see the best and some worst. You wanna quit? Andale. You wanna start? Andale. If you ain't got that then you ain't got Baja.

DENNIS - 11-13-2014 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
It's sort of cumulative, isnt it? the rising crime rate even in the small towns, higher costs on just about everything, the storms...our advancing ages...We all most likely agree there is no utopia....And Scotty sold El Candils....leaving Mexico...

Chuckie.......we're talking mass graves here. This ain't no objection to the high price of gas.

tripledigitken - 11-13-2014 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
...And Scotty sold El Candils....leaving Mexico...

When did this happen? Any more details?

bajabuddha - 11-13-2014 at 07:57 AM

Dennis, I feel philosophy doesn't 'cloud reality', but can clarify one's own perspective of it by giving a dimensional picture of it rather than jumbled thoughts left unsaid or unwritten. Hence, Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer, "the wisdom to know the difference".

Or, like the fly said while standing on the mirror, "That's another way of looking at it". :smug:

MICK - 11-13-2014 at 08:01 AM

never heard about the mass grave in baja? I have been up in San Diego for the last two weeks and even here, everyday on the news there is another drive by shooting on some girl is getting raped. Not sure it is safe anywhere any more. We all just have to decide where we are the most comfortable. Sorry to here for you Bob that is not baja. For the most part where I live the people are still friendlier than anywhere I go in the US.
Good Luck
Mick

willardguy - 11-13-2014 at 09:31 AM

soooo......you're saying baja isn't the glorious utopia the nutty sprinkler pipe guy claims?:lol: but seriously, aside from a few things, uncrowded surfing, fishing, low rent, im sure theres a few more, I can see saying to heck with it and going norte. this is assuming you don't require the perks we enjoy here.:yes:

Change

J.P. - 11-13-2014 at 09:41 AM

The Easiest Way To Cope With Change Is to Become Part Of It.:yes::yes:

Whale-ista - 11-13-2014 at 09:54 AM

Someone mentioned mass graves in Baja? This article
(link to report )
makes it sound as if Baja is much safer than the eastern border regions.

Am I missing other news reports?

"Despite the tenuous security situation, Tamaulipas has received more deportees than any other state in Mexico so far this year, and Nuevo Laredo has received more than any other city. As of August, more than 27,000 immigrants have been repatriated to Nuevo Laredo this year.

“It’s a totally different experience to get dropped off in Tamaulipas or Coahuila than to be dropped off in Sonora or Baja California,” said Jeremy Slack, referring to the pronounced lack of security in those northeastern Mexican states. Slack, the principal investigator on the Migrant Border Crossing Study, a project funded by the Ford Foundation, spent three months living at a migrant shelter in Nuevo Laredo while conducting research in late 2013."

David K - 11-13-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
soooo......you're saying baja isn't the glorious utopia the nutty sprinkler pipe guy claims?:lol: but seriously, aside from a few things, uncrowded surfing, fishing, low rent, im sure theres a few more, I can see saying to heck with it and going norte. this is assuming you don't require the perks we enjoy here.:yes:

Nutty? :lol::lol:

David K - 11-13-2014 at 10:05 AM

Oh, so crunchy too?

sancho - 11-13-2014 at 10:24 AM

Someone mentioned age, definitely different now, does take
a bit more mental preparation to go SOB, than back in the
day. The place never did attract a large segment of the tourist
population rather a small percentage of folks that can deal with
it's quirks, and at times a feeling of vulnerability. I can understand the point of diminished returns

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by sancho]

Hola bob H & all

captkw - 11-13-2014 at 10:55 AM

Yes for me and many others Baja Has lost some of its charm...BUT not all of it..there is still 1 or 2 fish left,,many sunny days,, some great folks and sunsets.....its not over till the fat lady sings....(or something like that):cool:

BTW

captkw - 11-13-2014 at 11:14 AM

the only reason that there is cartels is the USA STUPID "war on drugs" the CIA stands for "cocaine avation internatinol" the US gov dosnt care if you do drugs.......only whose drugs your buying....I saw big marine C130's being loaded with coke in South niky myself.........Oppps...the guys in black just pulled up !!!:o

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by captkw]

Bajaboy - 11-13-2014 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Someone mentioned age, definitely different now, does take
a bit more mental preparation to go SOB, than back in the
day. The place never did attract a large segment of the tourist
population rather a small percentage of folks that can deal with
it's quirks, and at times a feeling of vulnerability. I can understand the point of diminished returns

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by sancho]

I'm the opposite. I used to worry about the availability of gasoline, breaking down with no one around, finding atms that worked, bad highways, etc.

Today, my preparation is much different than days in the past. Baja is much more civilized and modern. Yes, there are problems but one can find those regardless of where they travel.

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by Bajaboy]

Cypress - 11-13-2014 at 11:32 AM

Always enjoyed my time in Baja. No bad experiences. The fishing was a disappointment, but heck, have some no luck days here on the bayou. Probably won't ever be back to Baja. Major commitments to other people and places make it an unlikely prospect.

JoeJustJoe - 11-13-2014 at 01:45 PM

Oh it looks like I offended a few Nomads.

Let me make amends.

Bob, don't leave!

Please stay, Baja will get better. I promise.

If somebody wants to leave the city or country they're living in, let them leave. The same thing with their job. That's their right, and I personally don't want to hear them whine about it. It's it that bad, leave, and perhaps the grass is greener on the other side. Go for it.

In fact I'm amazed, anybody ever leaves Baja. What usually happens, they can't sell their property without taking a huge lost, and they just stay and complain about Mexico and Baja, as if, it's all Mexico's fault their not happy.

Then there are those who who complain endlessly about Mexico, and can leave, but for some reason they stay around, and treat their living in Mexico, like a bad marriage.

The thing what I really detest about these kinds of threads, is it brings out the Mexico/Baja bashers like Dennis' post below. Sure it's bad in certain areas of Mexico, but it probably has nothing to do with your unhappiness in life.

Dennis wrote :Perhaps we're allowing philosophy to cloud a sad reality. Mexico, Baja included, is going through an upheaval. Heinous crimes committed by the government in collusion with organized crime are all over today's headlines. Even La Paz, the city of peace, has turned into a killing zone. These things can't be easily ignored as it's impossible to know how, when or where [even if] it will come to an end. I have a feeling this may be going through Bob's mind at the time, and quite frankly, if I weren't so heavily invested here, I would be sharing his sentiments. Sad, but true.

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by JoeJustJoe]

BajaB - 11-13-2014 at 01:46 PM

I have been traveling to Baja for at least 15 years. We currently live near Santa Rosalia and things seem different than they did way back in the early days. Some of it is awareness and some is actual change. I used to just fly down and rent a jeep and camp on almost any beach and never had a problem. I did things that would seem crazy now. My wife and I have spent much time inside Cereso Santa Rosalia working with the men in the prison. I have spent hours hearing their stories and I will tell you that you can't be to cautious even in Baja Sur. There is a moral line that often is missing in Mexico with all the killings, etc. Much of this has to be with drugs and addiction but caution is wisdom.

hombre66 - 11-13-2014 at 01:47 PM

"Once the dust of Mexico settles on your heart...never will you rest in another land"
Describes my addiction to a tee. Have not been back in a couple of years but am planning a backcountry surf/fish escapade for February. Everyone should take the precautions seriously, mind your manners and use common sense. I've had my share of thefts (careless me) injuries (sting rays, cracked vertebrae) rig breakdowns, but keep going back cause o that ole dust on my heart ;o)

BajaLuna - 11-13-2014 at 02:15 PM

I can certainly appreciate everyone makes their own choices that are right for them. But wow I feel safer in many parts of Baja then I do in my own neck of the woods here lately.

The area I live in up here in the PNW, we just started a facebook crime watch group because of burglaries, car theft etc..I lived out here 20 years ago and it was such a quaint place but not the case anymore due to drug addiction. The sad thing is most people do not even know what is going on in their own neighborhoods until they start talking with one another, which is the case here, we started this group and have found out a whole lot of stuff.

The point I'm trying to make here, if anyone thinks their own little towns here in the U.S. are absent of the problems the rest of the world is enduring, they are not paying attention, it's everywhere! Talk to your neighbors, and get the truth about what is going on all around you, you might be pretty blown away!

Drugs/addicts/cartels thus crime...is impacting all of us no matter where you live. It's a sad sad truth.

It's very true, Baja isn't what it use to be when I was kid traveling down here with my parents, but there isn't anywhere that is what it use to be! 2 people just got their car stolen from the grocery store I shop at, and another got theirs broken into and we had a home invasion due to a creep on heroin...and this isn't Chicago or Detroit, it's a sleepy bedroom town. But we sure aren't in Mayberry anymore that's for sure!

Just my 2 cents, while we hear a lot of things about crimes in Baja, it's happening in YOUR neighborhood too in the good ol' USA!

We can put things in tidy little boxes, oh the crime over there is just so bad, but take a look at the small radius around you and you might be surprised how close to home it is in your neck of the woods too!

I wish you well BobH, and don't want to minimize your post, just saying that we can't escape it by relocating!

P.S. for those who DO want to know what is going on in their U.S. neighborhoods, many police departments are on FB now and also the scanner feeds for your County, as well as many FB groups for your county for neighborhood crime watch are popping up all over FB these days!

but be warned, you might wish you didn't know LOL!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-13-2014 at 03:01 PM

Bob H.
I too left Baja Sur after 38 years.

Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley.
Lived at San Nicalos for 4 years fishe the Isla DelFonso for many years.
It is a great place to spend time if you can get qway from the Uglyies!!

I have been and stayed at many great places in the States such as Montana, Olimpia Pennisula, Sierras of Calif. Lake Texhoma of OPklahoma.

I chose to move back to my Home state of Texas 10 years ago, The Best place for and ole 84 year old Korean Vet and Shriner.

Air and water is clean, Peopleare Great, mostly Cowboys and the weather is good,

If you are looking for a place to go look into Ruidoso New Mexico. That is where I would go if I had to leave the Great Texas Panhandle.

Still active in Masonry, riding myMule in the Shriners parades, raising money for the childrens Hospitals etc,

Have a Good Life where ever you go.

Skeet/loreto

chuckie - 11-13-2014 at 03:09 PM

Bob H just said he was done with Baja...I didnt see where he was off to seek Nirvana...I thnk we will see many people "done with Baja" when the insurance checks are passed out from the Odile damage..I am not done, but the things I mentioned earlier dampen the enthusiasm a bit...And I admit, traveling alone I am more apprehensive than in the past. The area in which I live in the US has/is changing..But I cant see what that has to do with Baja.....

David K - 11-13-2014 at 03:11 PM

Good seeing you Skeet!

I think Bob is just upset at the crap going on... but crap goes on here in the USA too. Baja has a charm and a magic that draws me back. I may take a time out from Baja, but I will never stop returning to the land I feel most at home in!

Pompano - 11-13-2014 at 03:19 PM

Hi Bob and good luck. Too bad we missed each other down Baja way.

FYI, I've already checked out Belize. While it's true the country has 23 different kind of snakes, only 9 can kill you.

monoloco - 11-13-2014 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Bob H.
I too left Baja Sur after 38 years.

Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley.
Lived at San Nicalos for 4 years fishe the Isla DelFonso for many years.
It is a great place to spend time if you can get qway from the Uglyies!!

I have been and stayed at many great places in the States such as Montana, Olimpia Pennisula, Sierras of Calif. Lake Texhoma of OPklahoma.

I chose to move back to my Home state of Texas 10 years ago, The Best place for and ole 84 year old Korean Vet and Shriner.

Air and water is clean, Peopleare Great, mostly Cowboys and the weather is good,

If you are looking for a place to go look into Ruidoso New Mexico. That is where I would go if I had to leave the Great Texas Panhandle.

Still active in Masonry, riding myMule in the Shriners parades, raising money for the childrens Hospitals etc,

Have a Good Life where ever you go.

Skeet/loreto
So the Americans and Canadians in Baja are "ugly" but you don't have any problem with the ones in the US and Canada? Do just "ugly" Americans come to Baja, or do Americans suddenly become "ugly" when they cross the border?

Martyman - 11-13-2014 at 04:27 PM

I think Skeet and Captkw should have a spelling bee. Now that would be entertaining

bajabuddha - 11-13-2014 at 05:06 PM

I can't blame ol' Skeet... after all, he is from Texas. I once had a Texan tell me, "You never have to ask a Texan where he's from, because if he's from Texas, he'll tell ya..... and if he ain't, IT DON'T MATTER". Real friendly types there, IF you're from Texas. Like Sen. Cruz, Rick Perry, oh and Dubya. And, he's right about Ruidoso, NM.... first thing you'll notice is over half the license plates are from Texas. Beautiful place though. "Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley." Yup, just like Ruidoso; ask any New Mexican. No offense meant, Skeet y'ol' skudder. Texanos are one of a kind.

chuckie - 11-13-2014 at 05:15 PM

I have had a couple of my friends leave Ruidoso, because of the ugly people moving in....

DianaT - 11-13-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I've seen what I wanted to see and experience in Baja. Things are just getting worse down there. I'm DONE with Baja!

There, I've said it!!

Bob H

I totally respect your thoughts and decision. I know that as much as we have loved our travels all over the mainland, there are certain areas we will not visit at this time.

While we very much enjoyed our time there and miss our good friends, we have no regrets having sold our place in Baja. Too much was changing there, and besides, there are so many great places to visit and explore.

Best of luck to you in new adventures. For us, new and different adventures are always a good thing.

monoloco - 11-13-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
I think Skeet and Captkw should have a spelling bee. Now that would be entertaining
:lol::lol::lol:I'd pay to see that!

mtgoat666 - 11-13-2014 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I'm done with Baja

I'm done with my bagel, may I have another?

bajaspuds - 11-13-2014 at 07:22 PM

... Sal si puedes

DENNIS - 11-13-2014 at 07:38 PM

Hi Skeet. Good to see you.

Hola Skeet,,been a while !!

captkw - 11-13-2014 at 07:46 PM

Lets be clear.. Im a Reader. not a writer... I leave that to Osprey..as he is rather talented at it... I have wrote more on this blog than the total sum of writing of my whole life..I don't write checks..have no bills except my cell phone and biz line and I pay in cash..so far this year I have written 2 work orders and that was for insurance work..so mock me all ya want.. as it aint that big of a thing..I get my point across and that's what counts to me !! K&T:cool:

joerover - 11-13-2014 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
the only reason that there is cartels is the USA STUPID "war on drugs" the CIA stands for "cocaine avation internatinol" the US gov dosnt care if you do drugs.......only whose drugs your buying....I saw big marine C130's being loaded with coke in South niky myself.........Oppps...the guys in black just pulled up !!!:o

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by captkw]

they changed the name to
cocaine import agency in the late 80s
the Marines dumped 5,000 pounds of cocaine into indian creek off the roe ave bridge in overland park KS
the replacement shipment guarded by 50 US Marines was surrounded by 200 Marines. they opened fire on each other. The 50 thinking they were on a top secret mission, not knowing they were at the Olathe kansas airport, not knowing they were guarding cocaine.
the marines got tricked by the cia

note: a guy searching for radiation 3 miles down stream in the blue river publised that he found a river of coke

that is why they pay el choppo guzman and the like for land transportation now

[Edited on 11-14-2014 by joerover]

LancairDriver - 11-13-2014 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
:lol::lol::lol:I'd pay to see that!

Skeet and Capt. seem to use this spelling format, which makes perfect sense if your mind is flexible enough to comprehend it.

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Chances are you also understand it. It purports that the order of the letters inside a given word doesn't matter, as long as the first and last letters of each word are in the right place.

spelling bee

captkw - 11-13-2014 at 10:02 PM

If your more concerned with my spelling than life itself,,and what is coming down the pipe...for all homo sapiens... I know dogs don't drop nukes on each other...peace,,love,,fish taco's and have GREAT DAY !!! K&T:cool:

LancairDriver - 11-13-2014 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
If your more concerned with my spelling than life itself,,and what is coming down the pipe...for all homo sapiens... I know dogs don't drop nukes on each other...peace,,love,,fish taco's and have GREAT DAY !!! K&T:cool:

Capt, I have no problem whatsoever with your spelling or Skeets either. Keep up the good work, I enjoy both of your BAJA posts. (I also wish you were closer to work on my boat)

Bob H - 11-13-2014 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Perhaps we're allowing philosophy to cloud a sad reality.
Mexico, Baja included, is going through an upheaval. Heinous crimes committed by the government in collusion with organized crime are all over today's headlines. Even La Paz, the city of peace, has turned into a killing zone. These things can't be easily ignored as it's impossible to know how, when or where [even if] it will come to an end.
I have a feeling this may be going through Bob's mind at the time, and quite frankly, if I weren't so heavily invested here, I would be sharing his sentiments.
Sad, but true.

Dennis, you kinda hit the nail on the head! I never invested and lived in Baja, only traveled throughout the entire peninsula several times over the last 30 years, and enjoyed it a lot. It's just the more I learn about how Baja has changed, the more I'm ready to move on to other destinations of interest to us.

My wife and I have traveled all over the world and will continue to do so utilizing her wonderful airline benefits with American Airlines!

I will continue to follow Baja events and travels on this message board.

Thanks for everyone's comments (well, almost everyone)... lol
Bob H

BOB HHOLA/

captkw - 11-13-2014 at 10:54 PM

HOLA/HI....I really Appreciate your candar and feelings....please when time allows checkback here and tellus were you have been/gone...Capt K aND the most famous Baja dog "Tasha":cool:

bajabuddha - 11-13-2014 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
they changed the name to
cocaine import agency in the late 80s
the Marines dumped 5,000 pounds of cocaine into indian creek off the roe ave bridge in overland park KS
the replacement shipment guarded by 50 US Marines was surrounded by 200 Marines. they opened fire on each other. The 50 thinking they were on a top secret mission, not knowing they were at the Olathe kansas airport, not knowing they were guarding cocaine.
the marines got tricked by the cia

note: a guy searching for radiation 3 miles down stream in the blue river publised that he found a river of coke

that is why they pay el choppo guzman and the like for land transportation now

[Edited on 11-14-2014 by joerover]

I personally prefer the 5/8 oz. blue/silver Krokodile by Luhr Jensen.

Gawd it's gotta feel good to reel in so many HUGE suckers on a single cast! :P

[Edited on 11-14-2014 by bajabuddha]

bajabuddha - 11-13-2014 at 11:45 PM

AND ANUDDAH TING~

Bob H, does your wife have a sister in the same employment, and can she fillet fish? Drive on, Mo Fo!! You didn't mention you had TRANSPORTATION!! Keep us perennial wanderers posted.

:cool: :lol:

DENNIS - 11-14-2014 at 07:55 AM

Here's another Bob who said it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKgUq5dziEk

motoged - 11-14-2014 at 10:43 AM

Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BajaRat - 11-14-2014 at 11:05 AM

Good luck and safe travels Bob, let us know how its going :cool:

805gregg - 11-14-2014 at 06:08 PM

It's a big world, sad to spend all your vacation time in one place, next we are off to charter a 40' catamaran in the BVI, Greece after that then Tahiti

Bob H - 11-14-2014 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
I can certainly appreciate everyone makes their own choices that are right for them. But wow I feel safer in many parts of Baja then I do in my own neck of the woods here lately.

The area I live in up here in the PNW, we just started a facebook crime watch group because of burglaries, car theft etc..I lived out here 20 years ago and it was such a quaint place but not the case anymore due to drug addiction.
Drugs/addicts/cartels thus crime...is impacting all of us no matter where you live. It's a sad sad truth.

2 people just got their car stolen from the grocery store I shop at, and another got theirs broken into and we had a home invasion due to a creep on heroin...and this isn't Chicago or Detroit, it's a sleepy bedroom town. But we sure aren't in Mayberry anymore that's for sure!

Just my 2 cents, while we hear a lot of things about crimes in Baja, it's happening in YOUR neighborhood too in the good ol' USA!

I wish you well BobH, and don't want to minimize your post, just saying that we can't escape it by relocating!

P.S. for those who DO want to know what is going on in their U.S. neighborhoods, many police departments are on FB now and also the scanner feeds for your County, as well as many FB groups for your county for neighborhood crime watch are popping up all over FB these days!

but be warned, you might wish you didn't know LOL!

Bad stuff happens everywhere! But, the corruption of the Mexican government, law enforcement officials, and now, even the military checkpoint people, can no longer be tolerated by me. Crime continues to rise and the corruption continues to get worse!

CJ - 11-15-2014 at 07:29 AM

For as many negatives there are in Mexico....there are as many positives. It's basically a state of mind.
By not being invested in a place you like, it makes it a lot easier to change your likes and wants......good luck with your new ventures.
Me I'm not done with Mexico...Baja, I still enjoy interacting with close Mexican friends, driving around the desert in my rzr, molesting fish and breathing the fresh air....except when I pass by the pump out station on the malecon next to the Mission Hotel.