BajaNomad

A Quick Trip to San Felipe

bajamedic - 11-13-2014 at 11:00 AM

Last week, I made a very quick Baja trip, so here goes my report.
I purchased my Mexican Auto Insurance through Baja Bound online, very easy and painless. My son-in-law and I made it to San Diego on Saturday Night, stayed in a motel until my scheduled meeting on Sunday Morning. I had the privilege and tremendous honor to meet Antonio Munoz (BajaCatus) and Andy Schouten with Commitment Inc. to exchange some items for the Desert Hawks Ambulance and the newly forming Volunteer Fire Department in El Rosario. I was slightly hesitant in our meeting and exchange, as all of my communication with both Andy and Antonio had been via computer messaging. After meeting with them personally, I understood their heart and love for the people of Baja. After meeting with them the second time, I am more motivated to finding some more useable equipment and hopefully some additional funding to support such a worthy cause.

Antonio assisted us with the second phase of our trip, we wanted to take some much needed items for a small orphanage in San Felipe. I have tried to honor the death of my father by continuing to help the people of San Felipe as he had made several family oriented, mission trips to help establish a small church in San Felipe in the mid-1960s.

Antonio guided us uneventfully through San Yasidro and with only a one car wait, then through the Tijuana traffic and onto the Toll Road. The trip down La Rumorosa grade was uneventful and I enjoyed the beautiful views. All of the toll takers were friendly and helped us negotiate the use of our Pesos. The toll road took us through an agricultural area just out of Mexicali that I had never seen on previous trips. I was pleased to see the pride that the local farmers had taken in their planting and the care of the land.

In San Felipe, we met with the folks at Casa de Fe and again this year they were appreciative of the things that we were able to provide. The excitement of the kids as they helped us unload was worth the entire cost of the trip. I truly believe that any donations that I or others make to Casa de Fe is going for the betterment of the kids.

We checked into our rooms at the El Cortez, they were very reasonable, clean and spacious, the beds were comfortable. We wondered on down to the Malecon for a fantastic dinner at Baja Mar. Our waiter was very attentive and polite, the food was better than some of our better restaurants in the states and the price was extremely reasonable. Back at our rooms, the staff was courteous and patrons were friendly as we walked around. We enjoyed our stat at El Cortez, although, I do wish they had just a little hot water for our showers… I guess hot water is more of a convenience than a necessity.

Breakfast was at Beans and Rice, again we found the food and service great and I can’t wait to go back. We toured around San Felipe and wondered down to some of the South Campos. For lunch we stopped by the El Rancho Market for a great sandwich that we ate on the road back to Tijuana. At the military inspection, all of the guys were professional, did a very thorough inspection on my truck and in our suitcases. We mustered much more of their attention to a detailed search than my previous inspections with my old truck. I was not sure of what they were looking for other than they did ask if I was carrying any ammunition. All of the other cars going through the inspection point were basically just flagged on through. The military guys seemed apologetic for our wait and then sent us on our way. They were in no way threatening or inconsiderate of our property or us.

Back in Tijuana, we met with Antonio and Andy for “some real Mexican Food” at one of their favorite restaurants. I mentioned to Antonio that I was a little leery of leaving my new RAM PU just sitting on the streets of Tijuana, he assured me that it would be just fine and he was right (I think the big guy standing next to it might have helped). We went back through San Yasidro with about a five minute wait, all border personnel were professional and then we were on our way. My only complaint was I could not find the Churro man in the lineup after promising my son-in-law a very special treat while we waited in line. Overall, a great trip and I am looking forward to my next one, I only hope I have more time to explore and spend more time with some really great people. JH

woody with a view - 11-13-2014 at 06:10 PM

cool! i go out on a limb and say your son is prolly better off having missed out on those oily flour sticks.....

Ateo - 11-13-2014 at 06:43 PM

Thanks for the report and thanks for your support of the Desert Hawks!

Maron - 11-13-2014 at 10:09 PM

great report, even better the reason for the trip.

Stay safe

David K - 11-14-2014 at 07:58 AM

Hi bajamedic, thank you for the wonderful and yet drama-free trip report!
The world is a better place thanks to people like you!!

nandopedal - 11-14-2014 at 08:04 AM

Nice report Bajamedic, here is a side tip, if you miss the churro man in the future, just get off onto 15 North from 5 North over to Market ave. and you are there "COSTCO", best churro North or South of the border;D