BajaNomad

Baja Surf Fishing Adventure "Revisited" Video

Finchaser2020 - 11-15-2014 at 10:04 AM

Well it seems like it took forever, but sometimes life gets in the way. But I finally got done with the video of our October trip back down to the land of the Spot Fin.

A bit less dramatic than our trip down in 2012, but I would still not change that trip for the world.

Another fine example of the excellent fishing and hospitable people up and down the Baja Pacific coast. We had some wind, and a pretty big swell, but we managed to catch some trophies. Fished light tackle again, mostly 6-8 pound test. Used clams for bait almost exclusively.

Also did a bit of sight seeing. Got all the way to Abreojos this trip.

Shot all the video again on my Note 3 cell phone. Would love to actually use a better camera, but it is very difficult to be messing with all the video equipment
when you buddy is hooking huge Spot Fin. So I sacrifice some of the quality, but all I really want to do is tell the story.

Hope you enjoy the adventure as much as we did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAmXTrLWXc

Kirk

woody with a view - 11-15-2014 at 10:09 AM

good job Kirk!

i still got you beat with my 29"!!! Spotfin Rule!

[Edited on 11-15-2014 by woody with a view]

David K - 11-15-2014 at 10:41 AM

Thanks Kirk for your very professionally narrated films. Those are some nice sized spotfin croakers indeed. When we fished the region (my parents and I in the 70's and 80's) the main catch was corbina and yellowfin croakers. I am wondering if you hooked any of them as well, as they hit bait the same as the spotties?

I understand your over-cautious driving in the new Tundra after what happened to your last one! I recommend taking the truck (along with an electric air pump) out to Ocotillo Wells and play with it so you can see its amazing abilities off road. Air pressure in your tires has a lot to do with driving off road in addition to the 4WD and traction control systems Toyota offers. The washboard roads are smoothed out and sand can be driven on top of, with the correct amount of air removed from the tires.

Thanks again for a great short film!

BornFisher - 11-15-2014 at 01:19 PM

Glad you had a more conventional trip this time. Beautiful video, thanks for taking us along again!!!

Ribbonslinger - 11-15-2014 at 07:02 PM

Great video thanks.

I would invest in a good quality come a long with 5/16 Amsteel rope and a second block for a 2 to 1. Also something to put under the tires for more traction as you pull yourself out. I use a large danforth anchor as a dead man in the sand. I buried a f350 with a full size camper up to the axels. The come a long pulled it no out no problem. That Toyota would be out of there no worries. I use a Tacome for work in the woods in BC, great little trucks.

churro - 11-15-2014 at 08:11 PM

Nice video! Thanks for posting... I did get to see your 2012 video, glad you had a happy ending to this trip.

woody with a view - 11-15-2014 at 10:28 PM

^^^what churro said^^^

Skipjack Joe - 11-15-2014 at 10:57 PM

Thanks. I enjoyed this video so much that I went back and watched the old video as well.

JohnK - 11-16-2014 at 07:47 AM

What a great video. Thanks.

MMc - 11-16-2014 at 08:25 AM

You do a great job with your video, Thanks! They remind me of the Bruce Brown surf Movies.

Skipjack Joe - 11-16-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
good job Kirk!

i still got you beat with my 29"!!! Spotfin Rule!

True, but he caught his on 6lb line.

Ateo - 11-16-2014 at 09:52 AM

I have that same SD Padres towel you used while changing that tire! Nice video!

woody with a view - 11-16-2014 at 09:57 AM

You're right! Props for sure, but my dinosaur is still a world record!

March 2007

Really stoked to see that the biggies are still out there! This toad fed 3 families that night.

MMc - 11-16-2014 at 10:19 AM

Woody, world record for sure. I know 3 people that did the same around that time.
Some folks wonder why we frown on promoting the area as it guests.

Looks like Kirk got a world record also!

woody with a view - 11-16-2014 at 10:30 AM

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont3.asp

Family: Sciaenidae (Croakers)

Genus and Species: Roncador stearnsii

Description: The body of the spotfin croaker is elongate, but heavy forward. The upper profile of the head is steep and slightly curved, and abruptly rounded at the very blunt snout. The mouth is underneath the head (subterminal). The color is silvery gray with bluish luster above and white below. There are dark wavy lines on the side, and a large black spot at the base of the pectoral fin. The subterminal mouth, absence of a fleshy barbel and the large black spot at the base of the pectoral fin distinguish spotfin croakers from all other California croakers. Small "spotties" are sometimes confused with small white croakers, but a count of the dorsal fin spines will quickly separate them; the spotfin croaker has 11 or fewer (usually 10), while the white croaker as 12 to 15. So-called "golden croakers" are nothing more than large male spotfin croakers in breeding colors.

Range: Spotfin croakers occur from Mazatlan, Mexico, to Point Conception, California, including the Gulf of California. In California, they are most commonly found south of Los Angeles Harbor. They live along beaches and in bays over bottoms varying from coarse sand to heavy mud and at depths varying from 4 to 50 feet or more. They prefer depressions and holes near shore.

Natural History: Spotfin croakers eat a wide variety of food items. Apparently they prefer clams and worms. Small crustaceans are also eaten extensively. They use the large pavement- like pharyngeal (throat) teeth to crush their food. Male spotfin croakers first mature and spawn when 2 years old and about 9 inches long. Most females mature when 3 years old and 12.5 inches long. All are mature by the time they are 4 years old and have reached a size of 14.5 inches. The spawning season runs from June to September and apparently takes place offshore, since no ripe fish have been caught in the surf zone. One inch juveniles do appear in the surf in the fall. Spotfin croaker travel considerably, but with no definite pat- tern. They move extensively from bay to bay. For example, fish tagged in the Los Angeles Harbor were later taken as far south as Oceanside. Spotfin tagged in Newport Bay moved to Alamitos Bay and vice versa.

Fishing Information: Although some are caught throughout the year, late summer is best for spotfin croaker fishing. Good fishing seems to depend on runs. When a "croaker hole" is found and a run is on, good fishing can be had by all present whether in a bay, from a pier or in the surf. Most spotfin croaker caught are small to medium sized fish.

Other Common Names: spotties, spot, golden croaker.

Largest Recorded: 27 inches. Largest taken off California by a recreational angler: 14.0 pounds in 1951.

Habitat: Shallow Sandy Environment

dtbushpilot - 11-16-2014 at 11:23 AM

Strong work on the fish and a fine video to boot! Thanks for posting Kirk....

TMW - 11-16-2014 at 11:47 AM

Excellent, thanks. Glad this trip went better than the last one. Nice fish too.

Finchaser2020 - 11-16-2014 at 02:24 PM

Woody,

That would have been Marshall with the 28" fish. My largest was 26" and we had a couple of 25" fish.

Felt good watching it swim back so that I can get it next time when it is 30" :)

spikemd - 12-5-2014 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Great video considering it came from a phone! If you don't want the bulk of carrying a dedicated video camera or DSLR camera, look into the mirrorless cameras. Much smaller than a DSLR, take great video and very good pictures. I have a Nikon1 V1 and the video is excellent in a very small package.

DawnPatrol - 12-5-2014 at 03:37 PM

Kirk & I are venturing down to fish the San Quintin surf spots in a week.... yes, to catch fish, hopefully those double hand size surf perch,

But we are taking my Polaris down so I can try to get him to think about keeping the Tundra off the beach!!!

So maybe Marshall and him will end up getting one... way more versatile

Alan From El Cajon

[Edited on 12-5-2014 by DawnPatrol]

Pacifico - 12-5-2014 at 07:31 PM

Great trip and video! Glad the truck didn't end up in the drink this time!