BajaNomad

Traveling Solo W/dog

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 08:36 AM

Hello,

I'm new here, and I really appreciate the site.

I travel alone in my RV with my dog and would like to go to Baja. If I get in an accident and have to go to the police station to sort things out, what will happen to my dog in the meantime?

Thanks,
Blake

Ateo - 11-21-2014 at 08:54 AM

Your dog will probably stay in the RV for a short time. Get insurance. This will help keep you out of jail in a minor accident, assuming you are not DUI.

Welcome aboard! Where are you heading?

BajaBlanca - 11-21-2014 at 08:58 AM

Stop be us if you are coming this far south and introduce your dog to our dog Rex !

Have a safe trip and if this is your first time down: there are afew police checkpoints and they have rifles. This is the norm here - they are checking vehicles for drugs and weapons (which includes pocketknives). Always keep your docs and wallet on your person as you exit vehicle for inspection. Always keep an eye on the military guys rifling thru the car.

remember to get your visa as soon as you cross the border

welcome to bajanomad and have a great trip!

BajaBlanca - 11-21-2014 at 09:01 AM

actually, I guess they have machine guns and not rifles (what do I know???)

but they are scary looking and harmless unless you are guilty!

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 09:31 AM

I certainly have insurance, and guns/soldiers don't really bother me. What I'm concerned about is something happening to my dog because there is nobody with me to watch her if I have to go in for questioning. I don't get drunk, carry weapons, fight, mouth off, use drugs, or do any of the other stupid things that get people in trouble in Mexico. I'm just looking out for my doggie.

MMc - 11-21-2014 at 09:50 AM

You and the dog will be fine. I doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. There have been times that folks here have been in accidents and have had the dog run off. If that happens put a piece of clothing or something she knows the last place you saw her with some water. Come back later or the next day she'll be there. Keep her on a leach when you need to.

How many times have you been questioned anywhere? I spend 30+ days a year in Baja for 20 plus years and have never gone to the station. If you are in a camp ask a somebody to spot you up, if there are issues. I'd feed/ walk/care for your dog if need be.

You're a good guy to care, welcome to Nomads.

bajabuddha - 11-21-2014 at 09:50 AM

Starting off your Baja adventure with too much trivial paranoia will not enhance your experience; just don't get in a wreck in the first place. If you do on Hwy 1 your dog will be the least of your worries; chances are, there will be a good person that will fill in the gaps you're concerned about. Also, your dog will probably take better care of you than you of it, especially protection-wise.... at the military inspections, if they ask you "Es el perro bravo?" tell 'em "Si, un poco..." and your time there will be shortened. Have a collar tag with your ID info on it in case you do get separated. And above all, keep the black side down on the road. Enjoy your travels; sounds like you have good company.

Your Dog

bajaguy - 11-21-2014 at 09:53 AM

Take several photos of your dog for ID purposes and put them on a memory stick.

Make up a poster (Spanish on one side/English on the other) with photos in the event your dog get's lost....put on the above memory stick

Have ID tags on your dog in both English and Spanish with contact numbers in the US and if possible baja

No matter how well trained, keep your dog on a leash

Bring your dog's shot records.......can't remember ever being asked for the int'l health certificate

Bring dog food in original containers (although that has never been a problem for us)

When you get to a military checkpoint and they want you to get out of the vehicle, leash your dog

Don't worry about getting in an accident, but be prepared. Carry all of your important stuff (ID, money, documents - passport & FMM), vehicle registration and insurance, cameras, I-pad or I-pod in a backpack that you can take with you when you leave the vehicle

Have fun and let us know how the trip was

AKgringo - 11-21-2014 at 09:59 AM

I also travel alone with my dog, and even though she has zero guard dog instincts, many of the soldiers at the check points are wary of gringo dogs. Keep your leash at hand, and hook it up when you stop at the checkpoints.
The paper work for traveling in Mexico, and entering back into the US is the same as flying with pets, but in four trips with Cleo, nobody has asked for anything from me.
There are good vets down here if you need one, and they charge far less than up north. Medican, on the west side of La Paz is a good English speaking vet if you get this far south.
Maranatha camp and RV park, just west of La Paz, is dog friendly with lots of room to roam the grounds.
Have a great trip!

One more tip, keep a set of heavy duty tweezers, or needle nose pliers handy in case your dog picks up a few cactus spines. Don't make the poor critter wait to find a vet! I have not had problems with ticks or fleas, but watch for them as well.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by AKgringo]

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
You and the dog will be fine. I doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. There have been times that folks here have been in accidents and have had the dog run off. If that happens put a piece of clothing or something she knows the last place you saw her with some water. Come back later or the next day she'll be there. Keep her on a leach when you need to.

How many times have you been questioned anywhere? I spend 30+ days a year in Baja for 20 plus years and have never gone to the station. If you are in a camp ask a somebody to spot you up, if there are issues. I'd feed/ walk/care for your dog if need be.

Thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. It sounds like people will help me there that wouldn't help me in the states. Maybe a little like boating. Is that right?

fandango - 11-21-2014 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDGUY
I certainly have insurance, .

Be certain to have mexican insurance, which you can purchase for the number of days you will be in baja. Different requirements for travelling in north or south baja.

micah202 - 11-21-2014 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
I certainly have insurance, and guns/soldiers don't really bother me. What I'm concerned about is something happening to my dog because there is nobody with me to watch her if I have to go in for questioning. I don't get drunk, carry weapons, fight, mouth off, use drugs, or do any of the other stupid things that get people in trouble in Mexico. I'm just looking out for my doggie.

...from past experience,I'd say that as for humans,,,the Baja frontier can have some stark surprises for gringo-dogs!!

...whether it be the 'heaven' of a pile of rotting fish guts under a bush at bajia Constitution,,,, cats that stand their ground in Loreto,,,,or coyotes who encircle the camp before collectively letting lose a loud HOWL!!......although he survived the experiences ,,I'd say poor Ed lost a few years on that trip :no:

MMc - 11-21-2014 at 12:36 PM

For many in Baja, they are a bit out of the "normal day to day", many will get to know a camper next to them better then a neighbor they have lived next door to for years. For the most part many of us will help a fellow traveler out in the time of need. I have made some great friends at some very remote beaches.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

Thanks for the offer. That's very nice of you. It sounds like people will help me there that wouldn't help me in the states. Maybe a little like boating. Is that right?

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
Quote:
I certainly have insurance, .

Be certain to have mexican insurance, which you can purchase for the number of days you will be in baja. Different requirements for travelling in north or south baja.

There is different insurance requirements for North and South baja? You sure about that? Ive never heard that before. What's the difference?

fandango - 11-21-2014 at 01:28 PM

The amount of liability coverage that you need to have is higher in baja sur than in baja.

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 01:31 PM

Oh I see. Thanks. I go overboard on liability anyway.

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

...from past experience,I'd say that as for humans,,,the Baja frontier can have some stark surprises for gringo-dogs!!

...whether it be the 'heaven' of a pile of rotting fish guts under a bush at baja Constitution,,,, cats that stand their ground in Loreto,,,,or coyotes who encircle the camp before collectively letting lose a loud HOWL!!......although he survived the experiences ,,I'd say poor Ed lost a few years on that trip :no:

I hear ya. Your coyote experience is unsettling to say the least. Sounds like a good reason to carry bear spray. What about stray dogs? I figured they would be a real problem.

shari - 11-21-2014 at 01:49 PM

welcome to the sandbox SDguy...in the event of something happening, you can always contact us on this site. There are many Nomads living and traveling throughout baja who can assist you in times of trouble.

dont forget to clean up your doggies doo doo when necessary!

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
welcome to the sandbox SDguy...in the event of something happening, you can always contact us on this site. There are many Nomads living and traveling throughout baja who can assist you in times of trouble.

dont forget to clean up your doggies doo doo when necessary!

The office manager at my current RV park in Nor Cal told me I'm the only tenant who actually cleans up after their dog. Even the owner told me he waits for the lawnmower to pick up after his own dog. I swear I've seen more dog crap in RV parks since moving aboard my coach than I had seen in the decade previous. It's just wrong.

micah202 - 11-21-2014 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. Your coyote experience is unsettling to say the least. Sounds like a good reason to carry bear spray. What about stray dogs? I figured they would be a real problem.

...as I recall,the coyote experience was much more fun than unsettling--for the humans at least...those coyotes were playing coyote games. Ed didn't see the humor and was very happy to sleep in the van with the humans after that.

...iirc,,,encounters with stray dogs were usually pretty friendly...definitely less unsettling for Ed than giving chase to a cat.....only to get stared-down!

...Ed was no 'pooch' either...he started his life on a native reserve in Laborador..definitely tucked and covered for gunshots and loud noises,,but was very saavy at holding his own with all comers in the dog world.

....stand-down cat was deeply humiliating other than the scratch to his nose and the rotten fishguts cost him some years I'm sure of it. :(

.....in any case,,each Baja adventure has it's own surprises....for you're pre-thinking and enquiry here,,you and pooch are more likely to have a good one!;D

AKgringo - 11-21-2014 at 02:08 PM

SDguy, That bear spray may wind up causing you more trouble than salvation. I have dealt with coyotes most of my life in Northern CA, and around Anchorage AK, and the ones down here are smaller and seem less aggressive than their northern cousins. If you are close enough to spray one, I can almost guarantee you will be hitting it in the butt as it hauls out of there!
Having said that, if there is a pack of them, keep your dog on a leash!
I have seen quite a few, heard a lot more, I love it!

Ribbonslinger - 11-21-2014 at 04:49 PM

We own a large German shepherd who works with me in the woods every day. He never fights with other dogs. He got into at least 6 major dog fights down there last winter. Baja dogs have some attitude for sure.

We had coyotes near our camp at one place but nothing came of it. Great place for dogs! They run for miles on the beach.

Bear spray is great people trying to steal your car (personal experience)but not so good for coyotes.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by Ribbonslinger]

reneske - 11-21-2014 at 05:09 PM

Make sure you have Mexican Car Insurance as your US insurance most likely will not cover you out of the US. We always buy Mexican Car Insurance through Costco before we head for Mexico.

SDGUY - 11-21-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribbonslinger
We own a large German shepherd who works with me in the woods every day. He never fights with other dogs. He got into at least 6 major dog fights down there last winter. Baja dogs have some attitude for sure.

We had coyotes near our camp at one place but nothing came of it. Great place for dogs! They run for miles on the beach.

Bear spray is great people trying to steal your car (personal experience)but not so good for coyotes.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by Ribbonslinger]

You're telling me that your dog was attacked 6 times in a few months? Were there any injuries, or was it just a lot of noise? Could it be that strays are just a lot less likely to back down than the wuss dogs he meets at home?

AKgringo - 11-21-2014 at 08:01 PM

I think that says a lot about that shepherd! This is the fourth trip my dog and I have made, and not one fight! There are far too many strays running loose, but aggressive dogs seem to be culled from the pack.

I just re read ribbonslingers post, sorry I missed the part about your dog not being a fighter. I can't explain why he gets in fights down here and my girl doesn't. She has always been sort of an alpha female, but not down here.

All I can think is that your guy must think he is guarding you. Sorry about trash talking him!

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by AKgringo]

Ribbonslinger - 11-21-2014 at 08:58 PM

Not sure why but dogs just wanted to scrap with him. No injuries.

baja dog fights

captkw - 11-21-2014 at 08:59 PM

Im with my fourth Baja dog and keep a sharp eye out at all times for other dogs 24/7 !! and not one fight yet..and its gonna stay that way !! I also train my dogs to come running when I pick up a rock and the other dogs tear outta dodge... Baja used to have SOooooo many strays _ (perro de calle) that ran around in packs and could be aggressive once in blue moon... most street dogs in Baja not to be "muy bravo" most newer folks don't know the many times the locals would set out poison hot dogs for the many street dogs with the blessing of the "delegado" that was tough pill to sallow as a dog dude !! tip..never,ever leave you dog tied up and your not there to protect him/her.................

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by captkw]

Gulliver - 11-21-2014 at 09:34 PM

I travel with my cat but my solution would apply to a dog as well.

After worrying about him every time I let him out in the desert, I broke down and spent the money for a radio collar and direction finder from LoCATor. It wasn't cheap. The collars cost $50 per animal and the hand held direction finder is $250. The collars each have their own frequency and the hand unit has a selector switch.

It has changed our per owner lives completely. Time and again, the little snot would hide under a bush twenty feet way where I couldn't see him and laugh at me. Now, it's "Time to come in!"

Range is up to a 1/4 mile in open terrane. A couple of hundred yards in rough country.

Best investment in animal travel I ever made.

bajabuddha - 11-21-2014 at 09:35 PM

Mexican dogs, stray or not, are not the problem. I traveled many years with dogs in Baja, and the ONLY troubles I ever had was with gringo's dogs. A dog is only as smart as its' owner, and there are some DUMB DAWGS in gringolandias. No manners. Mexican dogs have manners.

The only 'stray' problem you will have is diseases, have your baby well-vaccinated, and LEASHED when around gringo dogs. Over the years I've seen many an establishment that used to allow 4-legged kids in have now posted 'no dogs allowed' signs, thanks to their owners, not the dogs (hint). IF your dog is allowed into a public place (Mexicano) keep the peace, all will be well.

Bear spray? Once again, don't start your trip with too much paranoia.

Don't worry, be happy. Day at a time. All will be well, unless you fork it up before hand.. ;) :lol:

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by bajabuddha]

Paulina - 11-21-2014 at 11:09 PM

If you visit any beaches, be sure to keep an eye out for dead puffer fish. I've known a couple of dogs that have died as a result of eating them. I keep hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster to induce vomiting, just in case.

Also, if your dog is injured and there isn't a vet in the town you're in, you can often times get basic medical help from the local clinic. The clinic in Bahia de Los Angeles was a great help to us with our dog this past summer. We felt silly walking in with a dog issue, but when we were greeted by a dog in the examining room, we knew we were going to be ok. (It was the doctor's puppy)

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 22-11-2014 by Paulina]

Bob and Susan - 11-22-2014 at 06:53 AM

welcome to 2014...

https://www.pettracker.com/pet-products

your solution

Gulliver - 11-22-2014 at 09:24 AM

Bob,
I believe that tracker needs cell coverage. Probably good here in Mulege as long as you sort out getting it to work with our local provider but not so good in a bunch of places.
I do so much camping out in the sticks that I decided not to go that way.
Mike
Oasis 511

bajalearner - 11-22-2014 at 09:32 AM

It appears your dog is doing a great job keeping you in line and out of trouble. Must be a Sheppard. :D

Ribbonslinger - 11-22-2014 at 01:03 PM

Maderita - 11-22-2014 at 05:11 PM

Don't let your dog ride in the front passenger area. It is illegal and inviting a ticket or opportunity for a shakedown by police.
However, if you are a local rancher, it appears that the limit is 2 dogs, one goat and 3 or 4 chickens ;D

Rabies vaccination certificates are sometimes asked for. AFAIK, Mexico recognizes them as valid for 1 year. Versus 1 to 3 years in the USA.

Be careful about letting your dog run around off-leash. Rattlesnakes are ubiquitous in Baja. Dogs stick their nose into everything, typically with no fear.

dogs

captkw - 11-22-2014 at 07:09 PM

Robbinslinger..if that good looking dog of yours is more than 15 kilos..folks might give you a clear steer..and the check points will ask you to remove your dog for checking...Tip #1 have a few spots on your ride were you can carabine your dog # 2 have many leases all over your rig and camp #3 always have a few rocks set aside to throw at strays that wont take off on there own easy.....remember most are just hungry and not looking for a fight..I've found that the packs are the problems..keep that in mind,,have FUN...K&T (Baja dog #4)TASHA

Ribbonslinger - 11-22-2014 at 07:19 PM

Brian is 35 kg or 80 lbs. Gentle as a kitten really.

thats funny

captkw - 11-22-2014 at 07:23 PM

I went by that name (brian) till I left home at 11 yrs old..and I was (am) a scrapper...nothing wrong at all with a mellow dog...been over 25 years,, that a dog of mine (ex wifes) dog has been in a fight..Thats my job !!...K&T