BajaNomad

Windrider 17 for Baja

Ribbonslinger - 11-23-2014 at 02:09 PM

s27.photobucket.com/user/ribbonslinger/media/imagejpg1_zps17dde5e5.jpg.html][/URL]

Looking forward to sailing this unit in Baja. Should be awesome at Rattlesnake beach around those islands. We have piled 5 people and a dog on it and still seems to move along pretty well. Sorry about the upside down picture.

AndyP - 11-23-2014 at 02:17 PM

Sweet! I sailed one of those years ago, it was a really fun boat. Has anyone come up with some sort of beaching wheel setup for bringing it up onto shallower beaches? Or do you just plan on keeping it anchored/tied to shore?

Ribbonslinger - 11-23-2014 at 02:21 PM

I have a small come a long with a Danforth anchor. We plan on pulling it up on the beach once unloaded. Only weighs 290 lbs.

Pompano - 11-23-2014 at 03:12 PM

Ribbonslinger, you'll have a wonderful time with your cat. By the way, which Rattlesnake Beach is it that you're headed for?

In Conception Bay we've always enjoyed great times with our cats. Good luck and good sailing!

Ribbonslinger - 11-23-2014 at 03:20 PM

We were thinking about Rattlesnake beach just south of Puerto Escondido. Went there last year and it was great. At first we will just use it out of Mulege. It is trimaran. Very stable and a lot of fun. Can't wait. Snow in the bush right now so it will make Mulege that much sweeter.

Pompano - 11-23-2014 at 03:55 PM

A trimaran? I didn't notice at first from the photo. Must be very stable indeed.

And I thought the F-27 was a small trimaran. Well, have fun and you should see some other sailors around the Bay south of Mulege.

Snow, too? We have way too much of that here, but not as much as the 8 feet just dumped in New York state. Baja will be sooo nice.

Gulliver - 11-23-2014 at 06:01 PM

Just rig up an anchor and a pulley and leave it in the water right off of the Oasis. Works for the panga folks.

Ribbonslinger - 11-23-2014 at 08:25 PM

Should be great for afternoon booze cruise down the river. Better yet, start a shuttle service to the bar accross the river. That thing is very addicting ! It goes like stink but has no weight. You have to pin it to make it through a tack since you have so little momentum. When it gets over 7knots it starts vibrating pretty good. Should be lots of fun!

I guess you can tell from all my posts I am looking forward to getting out of the bush and on my way south

dtbushpilot - 11-23-2014 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribbonslinger
s27.photobucket.com/user/ribbonslinger/media/imagejpg1_zps17dde5e5.jpg.html][/URL]

Looking forward to sailing this unit in Baja. Should be awesome at Rattlesnake beach around those islands. We have piled 5 people and a dog on it and still seems to move along pretty well. Sorry about the upside down picture.

Cool boat Ribbon, looks like a blast! unless the sail is supposed to be in the water the picture is right side up.....I think....don't know much about sail boats...

Pompano - 11-24-2014 at 09:27 AM

Ribbonslinger, glad you have found one of life’s true pleasures. Me, too. A lot of years ago I just decided one day that I wanted to sail. Bought a boat and a book..and went. Those days created a special love affair.

Why? Something about sailing a boat brings so many senses and sensations into play that it's very difficult to pinpoint what it is specifically that makes me like it so much: the sight of sails and sheets overhanging the water; the foam and spray flying as the bow cuts the water; the motion of the boat; the physical and mental ballet necessary to handle the boat correctly.

A sailboat might just be the most beautiful, sensuous and intelligent blend of man/machine/and elements that exists in the world today. The relationship between the three is the most harmonious I have experienced so far.

Besides you can have a beer while you do it.

Meet ‘Trial and Error.’ Shipmates for many years.

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by Pompano]

Ribbonslinger - 11-24-2014 at 06:30 PM

Well said. I live to sail. Put BC coast sailing on your bucket list. Desolation Sound and the Broughtons are pretty spectacular.

Pompano - 11-24-2014 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribbonslinger
Well said. I live to sail. Put BC coast sailing on your bucket list. Desolation Sound and the Broughtons are pretty spectacular.

I certainly agree, as I have seen and love it. That whole area of the BC coast is spectacular indeed. Full of historical voyages like Capt. Vancouver exploration of the late 18th century. I've been through portions of it in a power boat for the fishing, but not sailing (a bit chilly for me.)

Some Coyote Bay neighbors and friends made an adventure trip from Seattle thru the Johnstone Straits past Broughton Islands and then all the way to SE Alaska. Guess how? They (father-mother-2 grown boys)made the whole inland passage trip in a pair of Zodiac rigid inflatables, well-equipped for motoring and camping. A truly epic trip. They are also expert bluewater sailors-sea kayakers and keep a 45ft sloop in Puget Sound. Their summer paradise.

Coincidentally, this forum has a fellow nomad who operates a business cruising that same passage...on a classic cruiser called 'Catalyst', which when docked, is in Friday Harbor. A grand way to make the passage.

Congratulations. You live in a beautiful area.