BajaNomad

Orphaned hours-old puppy needs nursing mother dog

Mulegena - 11-26-2014 at 08:37 PM

NURSING MOTHER DOG IN MULEGE, BCS AREA WANTED: Urgent. I'm caring for an orphan puppy born today by cesarian section. Mother and siblings died on the operating table. I'm tube feeding the baby now, but to place her with a nursing mother dog with similar sized babies would be optimal.

Puppy is a Pug breed, so a small mother dog would be best. Puppies need the colostrum that's secreted in mother's milk for the first few weeks of life. This protects the babes against bacteria and various virus such as distemper.

tjsue - 11-27-2014 at 12:39 PM

Try the Baja Dog Rescue or Sanctuary FB pages. There may be someone close to you that can take the puppy there.

Mulegena - 11-27-2014 at 03:32 PM

The puppy is now 24 hours old.
She's thriving and has actually grown.
Her mother's "owners" were saddened to hear of the mother's and littermates' deaths but were over-the-moon happy when the puppy and I visited them today. They have a beautiful, clean environment and will provide a good home for her when she is big and strong. Till then, they agreed that I shall take care of her.

Here's a link I just found about newborn pups & colostrum: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2108&aid=846 .

Seems she's outside the window of opportunity to gain immune boosting colostrum.

She'd have needed to nurse within the first 18 hours of life upon a mother who had just given birth. After that window, she cannot absorb the defenses and the mother no longer produces colostrum.

To send her to another household might actually expose her to disease that she is free from here in my house. Both my dogs are healthy and properly vaccinated. My female dog Suzi is ultra-vigilant concerned and protective, sleeps by her crib and watches over her carefully. She does not, however, want to cuddle her.

We will do our best. Thanks everyone.

vandenberg - 11-27-2014 at 03:54 PM

Mulegena,
Your heart is in the right place.
Hope all goes well.

BajaBlanca - 11-27-2014 at 09:36 PM

good luck with puppy! She is grateful this thanksgiving for sure.